bit-tech.net

Make Your Own Raspberry Pi Case competition

Comments 26 to 50 of 58

Reply
PabloFunky 23rd January 2013, 05:19 Quote
I like the idea, but im in the catch 22 camp.

If i was to make a wooden case for this, i would have to buy a PI anyway to use as the template for a perfecto fitting and inspiration.

Good luck to everyone who enters though.
Combatus 23rd January 2013, 09:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloFunky
I like the idea, but im in the catch 22 camp.

If i was to make a wooden case for this, i would have to buy a PI anyway to use as the template for a perfecto fitting and inspiration.

Good luck to everyone who enters though.

As I said to Cheaps, the Pi doesn't cost that much and you could always sell it afterwards - they're still holding their value second hand.
Combatus 23rd January 2013, 09:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrafresh
Combatus, the entry restriction, is that shipping only? I live on an Island, and receive shippings from people in the states all the time, so if I were to provide an address in the states and take it from there, could I enter?

Yep that's fine!
Dudey109 23rd January 2013, 09:31 Quote
Awesome, ive already got an idea for the rpi case, it was going to be a little bigger than 150mm but i can adjust to enter into this i think :D
goultech 23rd January 2013, 14:12 Quote
What is the best way to find all the 'Raspberry PI Competition' project logs in the forum? I have attempted the search feature with no success.
Cheapskate 23rd January 2013, 19:56 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaThRo
Who will be first to include water cooling?

*Cough* Just need a copper thimble.:D
Combatus 24th January 2013, 00:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by goultech
What is the best way to find all the 'Raspberry PI Competition' project logs in the forum? I have attempted the search feature with no success.

Well hopefully if everyone read the rules correctly they'll be adding 'Raspberry Pi Competition' to their titles so it should make finding the ones from the comp easier!
Combatus 24th January 2013, 09:38 Quote
Good news everyone! Thanks to Wiley - publisher of the Raspberry Pi User Guide, we're now able to send the prizes anywhere! We've just opened up the competition worldwide. A huge thanks to Wiley for offering to do this and we hope we'll be seeing many more projects as a result.
Pranja 24th January 2013, 12:53 Quote
Now that I can enter the comp-I have some questions about rules:


•The maximum dimensions of the case are 150mm x 150mm x 150mm (roughly six inches cubed).

Is this dimension of whole case or just it's inside dimensions?

•You need to allow for the various ports to be accessible

Can I use cable extensions?

•You need to be able to mount the motherboard correctly using the mounting holes (these were added on the latest Rev 2 version)

Can I use latches or pins for mounting?
jrs77 24th January 2013, 14:21 Quote
Grab a 7" or 10" touchsreen from http://www.chalk-elec.com/ and build your own tablet PC :p

These touchscreens come with a HDMI/LVDS board which can power the RapberryPi. Unfortunately I couldn't find such easy solutions for smaller displays, as I was looking for a 5" touchscreen to build myself an iPod-esque device for my music-collection.
Jipa 24th January 2013, 16:30 Quote
If you're going to make a case for a raspberry pi, chances are you already have the damn thing. In case mod competitions the winner often wins a case, and iMO that's just rubbish :)

But yeah what ever, it's still nice to have competitions. Hope to see some fresh ideas with this one!
Gareth Halfacree 24th January 2013, 17:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipa
If you're going to make a case for a raspberry pi, chances are you already have the damn thing. In case mod competitions the winner often wins a case, and iMO that's just rubbish :)
Ah, but don't forget that you get three chances to win the most excellent Raspberry Pi User Guide as well. Why, that's practically priceless! (Okay, a £12.99 RRP. Or £9.09 at the moment from Amazon, 'cos it's on offer.)
Combatus 24th January 2013, 18:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranja
Now that I can enter the comp-I have some questions about rules:


•The maximum dimensions of the case are 150mm x 150mm x 150mm (roughly six inches cubed).

Is this dimension of whole case or just it's inside dimensions?

•You need to allow for the various ports to be accessible

Can I use cable extensions?

•You need to be able to mount the motherboard correctly using the mounting holes (these were added on the latest Rev 2 version)

Can I use latches or pins for mounting?

Hi Pranja. Those are the external dimensions of the case

Yes you can use port extensions, so long as all the original ports are usable.

You can use whatever method you want for mounting, so long as you mount it using the holes - so yes, pins or latches are fine. We're trying to avoid people just using velcro and the like ;)
Combatus 24th January 2013, 18:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipa
If you're going to make a case for a raspberry pi, chances are you already have the damn thing. In case mod competitions the winner often wins a case, and iMO that's just rubbish :)
Ah, but don't forget that you get three chances to win the most excellent Raspberry Pi User Guide as well. Why, that's practically priceless! (Okay, a £12.99 RRP. Or £9.09 at the moment from Amazon, 'cos it's on offer.)

Shameless plug :D
Pranja 24th January 2013, 18:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
Hi Pranja. Those are the external dimensions of the case

Yes you can use port extensions, so long as all the original ports are usable.

You can use whatever method you want for mounting, so long as you mount it using the holes - so yes, pins or latches are fine. We're trying to avoid people just using velcro and the like ;)

Thank you very much. ;)

Now, onto the case design.
Combatus 27th January 2013, 11:30 Quote
Hi all! If anyone has any size-related questions about the Pi, I now have my own sample so just message me in the forum and I'll be happy to help.
Sloth 28th January 2013, 19:18 Quote
Finally a good reason to get my Pi a bettter home than the anti static bag it came in!
jrs77 29th January 2013, 16:54 Quote
I did a quick model of the RaspberryPI based on the official dimensions given, as the SU-model made by confusis isn't matching the dimensions accurately. Nothing fancy, just the very basics.

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/2162/raspberrypiskp.jpg

http://www.filedropper.com/raspberrypi
dancingbear84 29th January 2013, 17:46 Quote
I thought about this last year, but I'm too lazy to get past the idea stage. I have a plan that would require the case to be in two parts. Is the 6" restriction total length.
Also if anyone wants any info or dimensions I have a pi and can hep with measurements or images, though I don't have any digital calipers I'm afraid. Is the £10 limit for case materials or for everything. For example if I wanted to use an m to f extension cable does that come into the cost of the case? I assume it would but I'd like to be sure.
Combatus 29th January 2013, 23:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbear84
I thought about this last year, but I'm too lazy to get past the idea stage. I have a plan that would require the case to be in two parts. Is the 6" restriction total length.
Also if anyone wants any info or dimensions I have a pi and can hep with measurements or images, though I don't have any digital calipers I'm afraid. Is the £10 limit for case materials or for everything. For example if I wanted to use an m to f extension cable does that come into the cost of the case? I assume it would but I'd like to be sure.

There's no limit to the cost of the materials - I was I simply saying you shouldn't need to spend more than this to drum up some interest. I'll be making a case myself this month for the Pi and don't anticipate it costing more than £10 in acrylic :D Feel free to spend more if you need to.
Combatus 29th January 2013, 23:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
I did a quick model of the RaspberryPI based on the official dimensions given, as the SU-model made by confusis isn't matching the dimensions accurately. Nothing fancy, just the very basics.

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/2162/raspberrypiskp.jpg

http://www.filedropper.com/raspberrypi

Thanks! I've added a link to this in the article.
Combatus 22nd February 2013, 11:34 Quote
We've got our first update! Check out the latest projects!

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2013/02/22/raspberry-pi-case-competition-update/1
faxiij 22nd February 2013, 12:14 Quote
You missed the best one:
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=256779

If I could bet on this comp, my money would be on Phame already.
Combatus 22nd February 2013, 12:22 Quote
I know, we spotted him after we'd completed the article! Seeing as it's water-cooled we'll probably have to a do a news story on it instead - first water-cooled Pi in the world? :D
der_george 22nd February 2013, 16:05 Quote
Looks like the dimension pictures are 404ing.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums