bit-tech.net

Dremel Workstation 220 Review

Comments 1 to 12 of 12

Reply
mute1 29th February 2012, 09:27 Quote
Glad to see you guys continue with reviews of stuff like this. Thanks and keep it up. :)
PingCrosby 29th February 2012, 09:31 Quote
I could build a house with one of these, is there anything they can't do?
Spreadie 29th February 2012, 09:34 Quote
Does this stand accommodate all Dremel rotary models? Mine is getting on a bit, but I wouldn't get a stand if it meant replacing my Dremel with a newer model.

Oh, and someone sack the proof reader [/pedantry] ;)
alpaca 29th February 2012, 10:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie
Does this stand accommodate all Dremel rotary models? Mine is getting on a bit, but I wouldn't get a stand if it meant replacing my Dremel with a newer model.
Yeah, same with me. however, my model has the 'collar' too, and it fits the extension piece, so I don't really expect trouble there
€gr€s 29th February 2012, 11:43 Quote
On the other hand, do NOT even think about buying this plastic piece of **** if you do really precise work. It may look bulky enough to hold the drill in position, but that is not true. If you grab the drill bit and push on it, it will move +-1mm. Carbide drill bits with diameter less than 0.8mm wont last a second, small movement and they will snap. It is useless for PCB drilling.

If you want quality, metal is the only choice. After few days I bought Proxxon MB 140/S and i can successfully drill 0.1mm holes with carbide drill bits. http://www.proxxon.com/eng/html/28606.php
Lance 29th February 2012, 11:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by €gr€s
If you want quality, metal is the only choice. After few days I bought Proxxon MB 140/S and i can successfully drill 0.1mm holes with carbide drill bits. http://www.proxxon.com/eng/html/28606.php

How much did you pay for that though?
Combatus 29th February 2012, 12:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by €gr€s
On the other hand, do NOT even think about buying this plastic piece of **** if you do really precise work. It may look bulky enough to hold the drill in position, but that is not true. If you grab the drill bit and push on it, it will move +-1mm. Carbide drill bits with diameter less than 0.8mm wont last a second, small movement and they will snap. It is useless for PCB drilling.

If you want quality, metal is the only choice. After few days I bought Proxxon MB 140/S and i can successfully drill 0.1mm holes with carbide drill bits. http://www.proxxon.com/eng/html/28606.php

I didn't have any problems to be honest and you can see from the images that it's more than capable of coping with modest tasks, which is all you can expect given the price - you could drill holes for 24-pin ATX conector cables no problem. It only costs £30 though so if you're expecting it to be as solid as a £100 drill press, well...
weesteev 29th February 2012, 12:09 Quote
Great review Anthony! Do you know if the cordless Dremel would fit this stand?
€gr€s 29th February 2012, 12:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance

How much did you pay for that though?

Well, for Dremel Workstation 220 I paid 49€.
Proxxon MB 140/S a week later was 47€.

You can't use Dremel tool in Proxxon stand though, so you can add 32€ for Proxxon drill.

Dremel stand is more than capable of coping with modest tasks, no argument there. If you already have dremel tool, it is good choice. But if someone is looking for a really good drill stand + tool combo, he should really go for Proxxon.
Blarte 29th February 2012, 18:09 Quote
essentially its a fancy clamp?
pendragon 29th February 2012, 18:51 Quote
I have one of these... fits my Dremel XPS 400 without too much trouble.. my only gripe is the bolt that secures the main metal pipe doesn't always stay tight when moving the workstation from place to place.. but, I certainly recommend it .. it's AWESOME for use a drill press .. saves lots of headache trying to drill straight holes into rounded pipe!
Combatus 29th February 2012, 19:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev
Great review Anthony! Do you know if the cordless Dremel would fit this stand?

Yep should do. The big plastic collar at the front of your Dremel should remove to reveal a large thread - it's that which screws into the clamp on the workstation.It's the same thread that's used for all their add-ons, such as the Flexible shaft.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums