bit-tech.net

Bit-tech Case Mod Index

Comments 1 to 25 of 53

Reply
Jake123456 24th January 2012, 09:02 Quote
This is brilliant, excellent stuff! I hope my upcoming hopefull Raspberry Mod can get in here...;)
KryptiK 24th January 2012, 09:08 Quote
no scratch build index?
matee 24th January 2012, 09:11 Quote
Great idea!
GuilleAcoustic 24th January 2012, 09:22 Quote
Brilliant idea !
brumgrunt 24th January 2012, 09:24 Quote
All Antony's, and my thanks to him. We'll be keeping it up to date, too.
Spreadie 24th January 2012, 09:28 Quote
I agree - excellent idea. ;)
Jake123456 24th January 2012, 10:00 Quote
Just a quick question Brumgrunt, will this be a Tab on the on the top?

I'm finding this hard to explain....In the modding tab, where Case Mod, Guides and Mod of Month and so forth, will this Case Mod Index be a option in there? For easy access?
alain-s 24th January 2012, 10:19 Quote
lovely idea looking forward to brows true the completed mods.
Combatus 24th January 2012, 10:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake123456
Just a quick question Brumgrunt, will this be a Tab on the on the top?

I'm finding this hard to explain....In the modding tab, where Case Mod, Guides and Mod of Month and so forth, will this Case Mod Index be a option in there? For easy access?

We'll certainly look at integrating it onto the site somehow, probably exactly how you described. We'll see how popular it becomes first. I've attached stickies to both the project log and modding forums too.
greypilgers 24th January 2012, 11:38 Quote
A really simple, but really brilliabnt idea. Give that man a biscuit!
andrew8200m 24th January 2012, 11:40 Quote
Excellent way to showcase the mods on here etc..

does it exclude custom builds though?
bdigital 24th January 2012, 11:43 Quote
Does there have to be a log? Ive finished my tj mod but I didnt keep a comprehensive log of its progress
Parge 24th January 2012, 11:51 Quote
Wowza, this is just excellent!
Tattysnuc 24th January 2012, 12:18 Quote
What a wonderful idea. Just a thought though, are you using the Tags on the forum posts? If you were to have a selection against each project log etc where you specify these tags from a defined list, you could get these pages to be generated dynamically - Saves someone having to maintain them.
Vo0Ds 24th January 2012, 12:42 Quote
Your talking loco and I like it! (Get some Fractal up!)

Agree a scratch build section would be a great source of inspiration; possibly split by mobo size?
Combatus 24th January 2012, 12:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew8200m
Excellent way to showcase the mods on here etc..

does it exclude custom builds though?


It does unfortunately - you need a common feature such as case manufacturer or case model - something that scratchbuilds by their nature don't have as they're custom designs! They would only benefit from a gallery or list of projects although you perhaps you could use categories such as mini PC, HTPC, water-cooled tower etc. If anyone has any ideas how we might approach things from a scratchbuild point of view, do let me know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdigital
Does there have to be a log? Ive finished my tj mod but I didnt keep a comprehensive log of its progress
. People need to see how you built your project - that's the idea - the index isn't a way to showcase your work, it's purely a source of information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattysnuc
What a wonderful idea. Just a thought though, are you using the Tags on the forum posts? If you were to have a selection against each project log etc where you specify these tags from a defined list, you could get these pages to be generated dynamically - Saves someone having to maintain them.

Tags are a good idea but unfortunately, very few people use them. If you search for SilverStone or Antec, only a fraction of projects actually show up - even less if you specific exact case models. If we made people specify these things prior to posting a project log - case make, model etc, that could work.
flame696 24th January 2012, 12:50 Quote
Im first my project is there i cant believe it!!!!

Although i have to point out mine isnt watercooled.
andrew8200m 24th January 2012, 12:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
It does unfortunately - you need a common feature such as case manufacturer or case model - something that scratchbuilds by their nature don't have as they're custom designs! They would only benefit from a gallery or list of projects although you perhaps you could use categories such as mini PC, HTPC, water-cooled tower etc. If anyone has any ideas how we might approach things from a scratchbuild point of view, do let me know!

Why not just add a "Custom" as a brand or make. Easy to distinguish the difference that way but it does exclude the better builds as hardly any of the case mods will ever actually match a scratch build of the highest quality.
Roboduck 24th January 2012, 13:12 Quote
Like the idea. It would be cool to have a "mod database" where you can search by case. Hope to see more of this in the future!
yassarikhan786 24th January 2012, 13:26 Quote
Awesome idea. +1 on Roboducks suggestion.
Waynio 24th January 2012, 15:31 Quote
Woooooooo Hoooooooooooooo :D This is brilliant to see, something I've wanted to see for ages :).

It needs a scratch build one also though :D, 1 for mostly or fully manual made builds & 1 for advanced machined builds so new modders can see the benefits of both approaches or if not 2 different ones because I realise how silly that is so a simple P for pro machined for those keen on how industry do things or A for Amateur manual tools for average Joes that pretty much anyone can have a go at with tools from a hardware store :).

Example
Cygnus X1 (A) (out the box)
Dark Blade (P) (out the box)

Hmm it's actually pretty tough categorizing 1 like Cygnus with it being a mid tower but does have out the box about it also so that is a tough one categorizing all scratch builds, but I'm sure it can be worked out :).

You could have Custom as a link which leads to these.

Custom tiny
Custom mini
Custom mid
Custom tower
Custom overkill
Custom out the box

Or just place these in there with the branded case mods :).

How you define the sizes is a set size for each one & not limited to the orientation of the case, if it's larger than the set size it fits in the one above.

Too many? but the names could do with being better I think :D.

The list needs a whole lot of browsing & reporting to fill it up to what has been done .
KidMod-Southpaw 24th January 2012, 16:20 Quote
Although an excellent idea, by what's been said, it feels like this is being pushed forward for sponsored build, considering the companies listed tend to be project sponsors a lot of the time here. And the lack of a scratch build section disappoints me.
Combatus 24th January 2012, 16:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw
Although an excellent idea, by what's been said, it feels like this is being pushed forward for sponsored build, considering the companies listed tend to be project sponsors a lot of the time here. And the lack of a scratch build section disappoints me.

It's not being pushed towards sponsored builds, any more than saying all mods are sponsored, which they clearly aren't :D. The only reason the companies listed are here at the start is because they are the first projects I came across to get things going.

The key is in the title - this database is for case mods, not scratch builds. We're not saying there can never be something similar for scratch builds, but to include both in the same database would be counter-intuitive. One thing at a time, Rome wasn't built in a day ;)
Waynio 24th January 2012, 16:39 Quote
:D Yeah theres a few I seen in there that were not sponsored & that shouldn't make a difference neither, only difference a sponsored modder has over unsponsored is a little less stress on raising the cash to do a project.

People shouldn't get jealous or bitter about sponsored modders, they earnt it with showing they are very capable to mod well or already had a few or even just 1 very good project to back them up so the thing to do is show sponsors that your worth being sponsored I think :).

I still not asked any companies for the help, force of habit to struggle :).

Would keep it less messy :) but do add similar for scratches when you get chance, not sure how my idea above appeals but that's my 2p :D.

Filling the case mods alone will take a heck of a search & report .

Good suggestion by Roboduck below :).
Roboduck 24th January 2012, 16:42 Quote
Why not make it user submitted? If you want your mod/build in the database you fill out a page with your build log and information. Might be easier than trying to find all the completed mods by searching the forum.

Edit: my bad
Still would be nice to have a submission page/form instead of and email. Something to make it more visible to everyone.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums