bit-tech.net

Phobya Design a Case Competition - Stage 2

Comments 51 to 75 of 84

Reply
LGalamba 9th February 2011, 19:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer2007
(...)
It one gets 2nd or 3rd place, can you take you design, or does Phobya/Aquatuning own it?

I don't really think so..
Not even the winning design for that matter. I believe this is a rather "open" design contest, so actually any brand can use some of the ideas displayed here ;)
And since there is no formal agreement on exchange/ownership of intellectual property..
Well you get my point :)

Great effort guys :) kudos to you all!!
subtec 10th February 2011, 01:39 Quote
I'd like to remind the entrants that soliciting your friends to vote for you or otherwise gaming the poll is both unfair and disrespectful to the hard work put in by the other entrants, as well as doing a disservice to the community as a whole.

To the voters:

Please take the time to consider each entry based on the merit of the design and how well it meets the goal of being a "case designed for water cooling."

Please do not vote just for your friends' entry, or the design that's been rendered the nicest. This is not a beauty contest, nor a popularity contest. There are or have been good designs that have fallen behind because people are voting for the wrong reasons. With as few voters as this contest has been getting, gaming the votes, even by a just a few, can have a real impact on the outcome. I would hope that people would want the best designs to make it through, and put aside their own self-interest.
GiantKiwi 10th February 2011, 04:58 Quote
Certainly some good cases there.

However only 2 cases really stood out imo, and only one i would really buy and thats the Black Owl, purely because its the only case that seems to combine realistic size with the watercooling aspect, Proteus would be my other choice but i wouldnt look forward to moving it anywhere
Waynio 10th February 2011, 06:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtec
I'd like to remind the entrants that soliciting your friends to vote for you or otherwise gaming the poll is both unfair and disrespectful to the hard work put in by the other entrants, as well as doing a disservice to the community as a whole.

To the voters:

Please take the time to consider each entry based on the merit of the design and how well it meets the goal of being a "case designed for water cooling."

Please do not vote just for your friends' entry, or the design that's been rendered the nicest. This is not a beauty contest, nor a popularity contest. There are or have been good designs that have fallen behind because people are voting for the wrong reasons. With as few voters as this contest has been getting, gaming the votes, even by a just a few, can have a real impact on the outcome. I would hope that people would want the best designs to make it through, and put aside their own self-interest.
Agreed, but it happens a lot sadly but on the other hand say in MOTM or MOTY I don't truly care if I have the case I set out to make :D.
GuilleAcoustic 10th February 2011, 08:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtec
I'd like to remind the entrants that soliciting your friends to vote for you or otherwise gaming the poll is both unfair and disrespectful to the hard work put in by the other entrants, as well as doing a disservice to the community as a whole.

To the voters:

Please take the time to consider each entry based on the merit of the design and how well it meets the goal of being a "case designed for water cooling."

Please do not vote just for your friends' entry, or the design that's been rendered the nicest. This is not a beauty contest, nor a popularity contest. There are or have been good designs that have fallen behind because people are voting for the wrong reasons. With as few voters as this contest has been getting, gaming the votes, even by a just a few, can have a real impact on the outcome. I would hope that people would want the best designs to make it through, and put aside their own self-interest.

Thanks for that remind, but in a way the nice rendered cases are also the best cases here.

BTW, even if not rendered, Zuko got one of my vote since I think that his design is good and original. It just need a little more time to be refined.

I agree with you about friend voting. We all put a lot of effort at work and many of us drew lines and boxes all nights long :D. Anyway, good luck to you all and may the best design win. ;)
ixmatal 10th February 2011, 12:41 Quote
subtec - although you are right on point, you are arguing against human nature - competition - is the modern and more "civil" aspect of survival. And many,many, people will subconsciously do anything it takes to survive i.e. "win". It has been proven again and again by scientist and psychologists.

That is why I make it a point -not- to tell family or friends when I am engaged in a competition unless it is for charity.

Either way, This has been a true learning experience, and like Guile mentioned - many long nights trying to figure out how to "draw" surfaces without using pen or paper

"And may the best design win!"
Roboduck 10th February 2011, 13:15 Quote
I was finally able to convert my design for all you sketchup people. B). Unfortunatly I was only able to convert the chassis and not the internal components but its the best I could get exporting from SolidWorks. I would have posted in the design forum but its closed now. I still would like to see a rendering of all the cases side by side

Phobya II SketchUp
GuilleAcoustic 10th February 2011, 13:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixmatal
subtec - although you are right on point, you are arguing against human nature - competition - is the modern and more "civil" aspect of survival. And many,many, people will subconsciously do anything it takes to survive i.e. "win". It has been proven again and again by scientist and psychologists.

That is why I make it a point -not- to tell family or friends when I am engaged in a competition unless it is for charity.

Either way, This has been a true learning experience, and like Guile mentioned - many long nights trying to figure out how to "draw" surfaces without using pen or paper

"And may the best design win!"

lol, my nemesis were tubes and wires. I still haven't figured out why sometimes you can extrude along the curved lines and somtimes not. Worse, somtimes you can extrude but cracks and holes are formed depending on the radius :( ... I took the screenshot with the appropriate angle, thus nobody can see the hand filled holes :o

@roboduck : I'd be pleased to send you a render of monolith, but it takes a lot of time to model with maya ... and I really suck at VRAY with SU (material setup is a ture nightmare in SU VRAY). :(
Roboduck 10th February 2011, 13:28 Quote
Thanks Guille. I don't know anything about sketchup so I wouldn't be a good candidate for making the rendering :(. I made a sketchup model because most everyone else is using sketchup and it would be interesting to see all the cases lined up in 3D :D
GuilleAcoustic 10th February 2011, 13:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboduck
Thanks Guille. I don't know anything about sketchup so I wouldn't be a good candidate for making the rendering :(. I made a sketchup model because most everyone else is using sketchup and it would be interesting to see all the cases lined up in 3D :D

all cases in one SU file ... I can already imagine a 1Go file :D ... but that would be terribly awesome

EDIT : It would be perfect to have a better idea of case size

EDIT² : I tried to merge our 2 files and I thought my computer was dying, II and Monolith is way to heavy for my lil' hard worker
Razer2007 10th February 2011, 15:44 Quote
If ya guys need mine, just PM me.
GuilleAcoustic 10th February 2011, 15:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer2007
If ya guys need mine, just PM me.

I can send you my goliath if you want to take a pic of your david next to it
Razer2007 10th February 2011, 16:59 Quote
haha nah our internet is too slow and limited. If you can take it to about 20Mb then OK.
RS MAN 11th February 2011, 01:10 Quote
Good Luck Everybody !
stealthnh 11th February 2011, 04:07 Quote
Given the chance, I would buy Dominus now if it were on the market.
Cateye 11th February 2011, 15:48 Quote
for me top 3 are

Black Owl by SnowyOwl
Proteus by mick64
Phobya Gladio by Razer2007
zukomonitor 11th February 2011, 20:50 Quote
Been checking in, but way busy at the mo... voted for my favourites again with the exception of Guille, who has greatly improved from stage 1 and deserves to go through!

Guille
Roboduck
Razer
Subtec

;)

Good luck everyone, I feel honoured to have taken part in this comp. :D

A big thanks to the people that voted for me...
GuilleAcoustic 11th February 2011, 22:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukomonitor
Been checking in, but way busy at the mo... voted for my favourites again with the exception of Guille, who has greatly improved from stage 1 and deserves to go through!

Guille
Roboduck
Razer
Subtec

;)

Good luck everyone, I feel honoured to have taken part in this comp. :D

A big thanks to the people that voted for me...

thanks mate :o.

I will be on vacations started tomorrow and untill monday. I'll be right back for the final result. Good luck to everyone.
confusis 12th February 2011, 19:40 Quote
It is 2 days, 7 hours, 15 minutes, 20 seconds,
until Tuesday, 15 February 2011 at 2:56:00 a.m. (UTC time)
zr_ox 13th February 2011, 09:50 Quote
It would be great if you would enable us to change our votes up until the deadline. I only voted for three and for whatever reason forgot to vote for Dominus :-(
confusis 13th February 2011, 17:19 Quote
Unless we get a massive rush of votes it seems we have our top 5... With myself being 10 votes behind 5th place, I don't think I'll catch up.. ><
M7ck 13th February 2011, 17:30 Quote
256 wasted votes :( Some people aren't using all 5 votes.
subtec 13th February 2011, 18:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr_ox
It would be great if you would enable us to change our votes up until the deadline. I only voted for three and for whatever reason forgot to vote for Dominus :-(

No worries, you'll have another chance next round ;)
ashtefere 13th February 2011, 23:56 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by M7ck
256 wasted votes :( Some people aren't using all 5 votes.

This may be because some people like less than 5 of the cases in the competition.

I personally think that most of the cases in the running are too big, chunky, over the top muscle headed for my tastes, except for dominus - thus I voted once, and for subtec.

I like small, efficient, understated styling so thats what I chose.

It seems the majority of the voters here like bling though, so thats how they chose.

Its all about taste really.

-Ash
ixmatal 14th February 2011, 02:17 Quote
Ashtefere -

If you look through the forums, I think you would find that a lot ( maybe 70% ) of the builds are just about bling and muscle. A much smaller number ( maybe 25% ) take style or taste into consideration. And an even smaller number ( that last 5% ) are actually successful in applying style and taste.

Subtec kind of pulled the rug out from under everyone ( with the exception of Guile ) with how well the understated style came through on his design.

Confusis has about the smallest case in the running, and the styling is right in line with some of the most highly praised designs in these forums.

In reality the 5 designs at the top right now are all about the same overall dimensions/volume, with the exception of Guile being slightly taller. My own design is by comparison an absolute behemoth, but then I come from XS, and that is perfectly acceptable over there - if not an expectation.

In my eyes, the top 5 all have their own style and are tastefully done. But they are all competing on the basis of how to lay out the components, in what amounts to the same big square box.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums