bit-tech.net

Phobya Design a Case Competition - Stage 1

Comments 51 to 75 of 110

Reply
ixmatal 19th December 2010, 04:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by tozsam
some ppl ARE voting purly by pretty renders and aesthetics. Case in point would be ixmetal (the case that looks like an ornament. There are no shots about structure, internals etc. So those votes are blatelantly based on aesthetics. Sorry to pick you out ixmetal, but your case has the prettiest aesthetics and a pretty render, don't take offense, take it as a complement.

Also as said above, there should be links to the forum page for each design, and what has happened to the two specs? How have the smaller cases got any chance against the cases which can fit 2 quad rads etc. A good example would be jrs77, A beautiful case with sooo many options, but that is because it is fairly big. The smaller cases have no modability, because everything is packed so tight to keep the size down.

No offense taken.

I can understand some of the bad feelings about having a "pretty" render posted, it can make anyone feel like they are at a disadvantage if they don't have the same tools. I only posted those renders with my entry because of the rules of the competition.

"Stage one is for rough concepts, experimentation and for you to take on board advice from other forum users. Then it's the community's turn - bit-tech readers will vote for their favourite design and the best will go through to the next stage where their designs will progress further."

My entry has a paragraph or two about my personal design goal and the equipment I considered during the process; along with the point that the design could very easily be scaled down to Mid-tower specs. I even went as far as to explain why I was so late with my entry http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2495283&postcount=560

After my first post, I started reading through the thread and realized other entrants were already posting layouts ( which I consider to be engineering as opposed to design ), and I did manage to get a partial motherboard layout posted just before the end http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2496214&postcount=589

Spotswood - I have followed your work logs with great interest due to your choice of materials. You are a true craftsman! As to manufacturing processes, the only assumptions I made were based on the equipment that should be in any modestly equipped sheet metal shop. So, even though it isn't a simple design, it also is not that hard to assemble for an experienced journeyman. In practice I specifically try -not- to design anything I wouldn't be capable of producing myself.

Combatus - I do agree with everyone that it would have been a smart thing to have a link to the original post with each photo set on the voting page. Also, I had the impression ( as did others ) that there would be as many as 10 entrants picked for the second stage based on the comments left by yourself and Nitrix. I have to say it is more than little concerning to have the appearance that the rules of the competition are being changed while the competition is in progress.
xXSebaSXx 19th December 2010, 08:15 Quote
Oh dang... I just now read combatus post about only 5 designs will make it to Stage 2.... Well... I guess I can kiss my chances good bye then...
I'll continue tweaking the design and optimizing it for construction.... Even if mine doesn't get made by Phobya; it will be made by me.
subtec 19th December 2010, 08:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSebaSXx
Oh dang... I just now read combatus post about only 5 designs will make it to Stage 2.

What? The article (the one this thread is attached to) says
Quote:

The ten best designs will go through to stage 2

It wouldn't really make sense to cut so many anyway, since there's supposed to be 3 stages and 3 final designs going to Phobya in the end for them to decide; if five go to stage 2 and another two are dropped at the stage 2 voting, there'd be no point of having a 3rd stage at all.
xXSebaSXx 19th December 2010, 09:04 Quote
@ subtec

This post: Post 46

Read through to the end and you'll see that Combatus mentions that 27 of the 32 participating designs will not make it to stage 2.... That means only 5 will be picked from Stage 1... I guess they felt that narrowing it down would make things easier to manage going forward. Doesn't really matter much to me... I didn't really have hopes of making it through anyway; given the quality of the submissions; I could find at least ten that looked better and were better implemented than mine... It was a cool experience and I learned a ton about Sketchup in the process; so it wasn't a waste of time by any means.

Good luck to those that make it through... I can't wait to see who wins this thing and get to see one of the killer cases brought to life...
subtec 19th December 2010, 09:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSebaSXx
@ subtec

This post: Post 46

Read through to the end and you'll see that Combatus mentions that 27 of the 32 participating designs will not make it to stage 2

Dude.

:( :D

Wing Zero said that, in this post, which I already replied to. I don't know why he said that, but he's clearly wrong. The article says ten go to stage 2.
xXSebaSXx 19th December 2010, 10:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtec
Dude.

:( :D

Wing Zero said that, in this post, which I already replied to. I don't know why he said that, but he's clearly wrong. The article says ten go to stage 2.

Hey... Cut me some slack dude... It's 4:30 am here and I've been up for 30 hours, so forgive me if my concentration is not up to snuff right at this moment....

Either way... ten or five... I still doubt I'll make it to stage 2 anyway.
subtec 19th December 2010, 11:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSebaSXx
Hey... Cut me some slack dude... It's 4:30 am here and I've been up for 30 hours, so forgive me if my concentration is not up to snuff right at this moment....

Lol, np man... get some sleep!
Wing Zero 19th December 2010, 12:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtec
Dude.

:( :D

Wing Zero said that, in this post, which I already replied to. I don't know why he said that, but he's clearly wrong. The article says ten go to stage 2.

i mistook '5 Votes' for '5 go through', sue me :p

though something that would be nice.. if they allowed re-voting or the option to change your vote. after all, the people that have voted for the design that's been withdrawn, i bet they would like to move their vote to someone else.
Nitrix 19th December 2010, 13:39 Quote
10 cases go through

but you only get to vote for 5.

Currently anyone with 14+ vote is in the winning bracket - get voting peoples.
Combatus 19th December 2010, 22:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Zero
a simple link back to a relevant post in the concept thread would have sufficed. for example: Phoyba Defiant by Wing Zero
We'll definitely be doing this for stage 2 but for stage one, it meant trawling through a 34-page forum thread looking for the entries of 32 people - to complicate things further many didn't even post in the forum thread and we had no idea who had. Due to time constraints we simply weren't able to do this.
Quote:

That would be the fault of the designer. this stage was all for 'proof of concept' and if they didn't really want to explain it, so be it. i know the old saying 'Picture says 1000 words' but words are rather helpful too.
Text has to be edited before it goes on line so unfortunately this isn't a simple copy and paste process, even if the designer provided it. Again, we just ran out of time to do this given he number of entries but we'll definitely be asking for descriptions in the next stages.
ashtefere 19th December 2010, 23:15 Quote
Wow... some of the votes I just dont understand.

I can smell the filthy smell of people gaming the system here.

For ixmetal to get that many votes? No offence but... its just a terrible, ugly, unpractical design. I would hope the bit-tech community is better than that.

Subtec, Ta1on and Zesti are clearly the best designs here when you look at them for style, 'freshness' functionality, cost and ease of construction.

These three, realistically, are the best ones here.

Roboduck's design is also very very nice, but from a cost and manufacturing point of view it is unrealistic.

People are voting with their eyes and not their brains. Ignore the renders and take a damned look.

Geez!

-Ash
Roboduck 20th December 2010, 00:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtefere
Wow... some of the votes I just dont understand.

I can smell the filthy smell of people gaming the system here.

For ixmetal to get that many votes? No offence but... its just a terrible, ugly, unpractical design. I would hope the bit-tech community is better than that.

Subtec, Ta1on and Zesti are clearly the best designs here when you look at them for style, 'freshness' functionality, cost and ease of construction.

These three, realistically, are the best ones here.

Roboduck's design is also very very nice, but from a cost and manufacturing point of view it is unrealistic.

People are voting with their eyes and not their brains. Ignore the renders and take a damned look.

Geez!

-Ash

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions so just because you don't care for a design doesn't mean that others don't see value in it. I don't believe anyone is intentionally gaming the system. Yes It may seem unfair that some people (myself included) have posted renderings but this is a contest and I do not see an issue with using every recourse available to demonstrate your idea. If anyone wants rendering of their designs I will be happy to help out! After all "attractiveness" is a criteria of the contest.

I like coming to bit-tech because (for the most part) the atmosphere is one of creativity and positive feedback. I have seen a lot of people complaining and attacking others designs during this contest and I have to say it makes me sad to see that. I know the contest hasn't been perfect but given the circumstances everyone is doing their best to make it as fair as possible. Constructive criticism is fine and often appreciated but there is a big difference between constructive criticism and the negative comments that have been going on here.

Lets try to keep this upbeat and positive guys.

"If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I'm glad you like my case but just for the record I tried to make my case as low cost and easy to manufacture as possible. The design is no where near finished so you will see significant changes in the design before the end. I work as a CAD designer in a machine shop so I know the sort of things that can drive up the cost of a project. I went for a simple design and if I don't win I plan to finish the manufacture ready drawings and release them so that anyone that wants to make their own can. If you don't mind what features did you see as driving up the manufacturing cost? This would be helpful to know so I can clarify later in the 2nd and 3rd stages.

Thanks!
ashtefere 20th December 2010, 02:51 Quote
Hi Roboduck.

Mainly the issues I see is the massive amount of construction material required, and the large size of panels that appear to be seamless from your renderings.

The punch out or cut out the metals required they would need to start from extremely large slabs of material, of which cost increases exponentially with size.

Also, it would be exceedingly heavy (at least as heavy as 2x regular chassis with the thickness of aluminium required of perhaps 2-3mm) so freight would drive cost as well.

And again, a higher quantity of material would be required to build it, around 2x the amount for a regular case.

I do like the design, but for a mass produced case it could be a little to difficult to quickly produce and perhaps too expensive to interest people. Keep in mind the cost of the TJ12 just released and how much simpler it appears than your design - and the estimated cost of around $999.

-Ash
Roboduck 20th December 2010, 02:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtefere
Hi Roboduck.

Mainly the issues I see is the massive amount of construction material required, and the large size of panels that appear to be seamless from your renderings.

The punch out or cut out the metals required they would need to start from extremely large slabs of material, of which cost increases exponentially with size.

Also, it would be exceedingly heavy (at least as heavy as 2x regular chassis with the thickness of aluminium required of perhaps 2-3mm) so freight would drive cost as well.

And again, a higher quantity of material would be required to build it, around 2x the amount for a regular case.

I do like the design, but for a mass produced case it could be a little to difficult to quickly produce and perhaps too expensive to interest people. Keep in mind the cost of the TJ12 just released and how much simpler it appears than your design - and the estimated cost of around $999.

-Ash

The panels are not seamless. When Rendering in SolidWorks any edges that are touching appear seamless hence the look of a huge solid piece. I have not had time to finish the edge bends so they are all flat panels right now so it looks as if they are all one piece but all the top, bottom, back, front and divider panels are separate and will all be made as such. Thanks for the feedback though I didn't think people would perceive it that way but now that you point it out I can see how you could get that impression.
ixmatal 20th December 2010, 05:58 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtefere
Wow... some of the votes I just dont understand.

I can smell the filthy smell of people gaming the system here.

For ixmetal to get that many votes? No offence but... its just a terrible, ugly, unpractical design. I would hope the bit-tech community is better than that.

Subtec, Ta1on and Zesti are clearly the best designs here when you look at them for style, 'freshness' functionality, cost and ease of construction.

These three, realistically, are the best ones here.

Roboduck's design is also very very nice, but from a cost and manufacturing point of view it is unrealistic.

People are voting with their eyes and not their brains. Ignore the renders and take a damned look.

Geez!

-Ash


Umm, all I can say is, wow......:?

I take no offense to your opinions.

It is obvious that either my design, or other peoples reaction to my design, has evoked a very strong reaction within you. This is something any artist aims for, regardless of whether the reaction is positive or negative. And from that perspective I am actually kind of flattered.

However, I am shocked that anyone would be so vehement and acrid in a public forum. And then go on and actually malign the entire community for their voting decisions? And to suggest that there is collusion or fraud involved?! Especially in this community where I have generally found everyone to be so helpful and positive?!

Sir, I can respect your opinions, but the way you chose to air them, I feel is disrespectful, hurtful, and un-called for.
Kryss2k 20th December 2010, 14:33 Quote
I struggled to find 5 I like... not happy with the middle image of mine as it's really blurry (maybe it was because of the size of images I sent - suggested dimensions would have been useful *just a heads-up for next time*).

Still I didn't expect to do that well and was using this as an insight into case designing - Good luck to everyone and thanks for those that voted for me =)
Roboduck 20th December 2010, 20:49 Quote
I have a quick question. Would it be OK to post updated images of our designs in this thread or should we wait until the voting is over? I would like to show the updates I have made to my design as well as updated images to help clarify some of the confusion surrounding my design. I can wait until stage 2 starts I just thought I would ask before posting so I don't accidentally break the rules.

Thanks!
Rocket_Knight64 20th December 2010, 22:24 Quote
Shame jrs77 dropped out as it was a good design (and now 20+ people wasted their votes). Controversy and drama aside I thought I'd share my votes and the reasoning behind them in hope of spurring the creative process.

-mickcox64:
This has been floating around for a while now and a shame that it’s not got to production. Well thought out with just enough space for easy working in a worst case scenario. The high bay res should make bleeding quick too. A bit plain but conversely should be easy to manufacture. I personally would put the bottom PSU mount side on and shorten the length a few inches. I’d like to see a way to get more HDD’s in there if possible too.

-SnowyOwl:
Love it. Very efficient use of space for a mid-ish size case. I don’t think you can get much smaller without compromising somewhere. I’d personally like to see mac-pro like cheese grater holes though. I’d also like to see some air moving over the HDD’s (I assume there is space above the array for a fan?). Two 5.25” bays is a bit stingy and precludes the use of dual bay reservoirs. I’d make space for a 3rd bay (maybe some kind of removable configuration?). Unfortunately the complexity of the design probably means that it will either be very expensive or altered for manufacture.

-Subtec:
Very polished design with a lot of thought gone into it with all the options. Love the retro workstation looks. A ‘normal’ ATX set up in there may leave a lot of wasted space though. [Thought: As your using bottom>top airflow, have you considered a dust filter running the whole length of the bottom that you could slide out of a notch in the front all in one go? Kind of like a Lian-Li X2000 but horizontal. That would be the best dust filter in the world! I may actualy clean it]

-Trance:
Intriguing use of the Silverstone 90° design. Lose the HPTX size and fiddle with the plates and it might have potential.

-Zesti:
Ultimately I would be more than happy for a slightly revised TJ07 (slightly heightened, easy mounting in the roof, good routing holes, lian-li like HDD bay and easy to swap dust filters ). This eschews the roof mounted rad for lowered vertical size. Not a fan of the front cowl. It reminds me of nasty NZXT’esq styling. Re-jig the front and provide filters and your onto a winner.

Honourable mention:

-Danitgeek:
Another TJ07 revision, but this submission fails in that it lacks any details about the interior or styling. Currently it's just a box. Shame as it’s got the basis of my perfect case.

-Roboduck:
Very neat use of space, but I’m not sold on side 5.25” bays on a case of this size (especially that low). Don’t like the HDD mounting either. I’d prefer some more air gap and vibration decoupling. I like the whole side panel vent thing, but I’m unsure of its need in this situation. If the rad and fans are in the lengthwise orientation would it not shave a few inches of the depth? With all the exhaust it would probably not make much difference to the internal temp and help pull air through the rad?

Geort45:
If I won the euro millions this week I would immediately commission you to make this case for my SR2 quad GTX580 monster. As it is though that is never going to happen so I’ve used the vote for something that could be of use to me if it saw the light of day. Ps, needs more neon.

Good luck all!
subtec 21st December 2010, 02:22 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Knight64

-Subtec:
Very polished design with a lot of thought gone into it with all the options. Love the retro workstation looks. A ‘normal’ ATX set up in there may leave a lot of wasted space though. [Thought: As your using bottom>top airflow, have you considered a dust filter running the whole length of the bottom that you could slide out of a notch in the front all in one go? Kind of like a Lian-Li X2000 but horizontal. That would be the best dust filter in the world! I may actualy clean it]

I've certainly considered a big dust filter on the bottom, though I haven't done on any work trying to actually incorporate it. I think it would almost necessarily add to the overall height, something I'd rather avoid.

Yeah, an ATX board does look a little small in there; that's an unavoidable result of making space for the SR-2. That interior space could possibly be used for additional 3.5" drives, though I haven't tested the feasibility of that.

I should point out that the case overall, while large, is not overwhelmingly so. Definitely smaller than an 800D (albeit deeper). You referred to Snowy Owl's case as "mid-ish" sized, yet it's only about 15% smaller than mine (granted those handles use up a lot of space). Also I've got about 2-3 times the radiator capacity vs. his case (not that this is a competition or anything... *cough*).

Thanks for the feedback.
ziza 21st December 2010, 05:03 Quote
Hi

Really nice design cases, i think that some brands should come to check these cases, for example Silverstone it would be really interesting.

I voted for Portuguese cases, sorry but he have to give some support;)

cumps,
ziza
Nitrix 21st December 2010, 11:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboduck
I have a quick question. Would it be OK to post updated images of our designs in this thread or should we wait until the voting is over? I would like to show the updates I have made to my design as well as updated images to help clarify some of the confusion surrounding my design. I can wait until stage 2 starts I just thought I would ask before posting so I don't accidentally break the rules.

Thanks!

no, wait till the next stage.
xXSebaSXx 21st December 2010, 16:30 Quote
Just took a quick look at the standings and it looks like anyone with at least 16 votes is in right now.... There are two people with 16 votes so that would be a tie for tenth place.

I guess it was a good run for "Liquefied"... But alas; looks like she won't be making it to the second round... I'm not going to complain, but I too wish that Combatus had used some of my later renderings instead of the ones published. Oh well... Live and learn... I'm sure the next contest will be much better planned.

I wish the guys going to stage 2 all the luck. I'm really interested in seeing which of the designs gets built and how much it will end up costing.
jrs77 21st December 2010, 17:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSebaSXx
...

I'm really interested in seeing which of the designs gets built and how much it will end up costing.

I really don't want to sound negative, but with the lack of professionalism shown in the whole contest so far I'd be actually surprised if anything will be built at all in the end.

BTW: Why's there noone from Phobya taking part here in the forums? You know... the company behind this competition... :D
Nitrix 21st December 2010, 17:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
I really don't want to sound negative, but with the lack of professionalism shown in the whole contest so far I'd be actually surprised if anything will be built at all in the end.

BTW: Why's there noone from Phobya taking part here in the forums? You know... the company behind this competition... :D

I represent Phobya.

The winning case will be built.

As for the comp you have to understand we are trying something new and there will be a few minor hitches that will be ironed out in the next stage.
danitgeek 21st December 2010, 21:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Knight64
Shame jrs77 dropped out as it was a good design (and now 20+ people wasted their votes). Controversy and drama aside I thought I'd share my votes and the reasoning behind them in hope of spurring the creative process.

-mickcox64:
This has been floating around for a while now and a shame that it’s not got to production. Well thought out with just enough space for easy working in a worst case scenario. The high bay res should make bleeding quick too. A bit plain but conversely should be easy to manufacture. I personally would put the bottom PSU mount side on and shorten the length a few inches. I’d like to see a way to get more HDD’s in there if possible too.

-SnowyOwl:
Love it. Very efficient use of space for a mid-ish size case. I don’t think you can get much smaller without compromising somewhere. I’d personally like to see mac-pro like cheese grater holes though. I’d also like to see some air moving over the HDD’s (I assume there is space above the array for a fan?). Two 5.25” bays is a bit stingy and precludes the use of dual bay reservoirs. I’d make space for a 3rd bay (maybe some kind of removable configuration?). Unfortunately the complexity of the design probably means that it will either be very expensive or altered for manufacture.

-Subtec:
Very polished design with a lot of thought gone into it with all the options. Love the retro workstation looks. A ‘normal’ ATX set up in there may leave a lot of wasted space though. [Thought: As your using bottom>top airflow, have you considered a dust filter running the whole length of the bottom that you could slide out of a notch in the front all in one go? Kind of like a Lian-Li X2000 but horizontal. That would be the best dust filter in the world! I may actualy clean it]

-Trance:
Intriguing use of the Silverstone 90° design. Lose the HPTX size and fiddle with the plates and it might have potential.

-Zesti:
Ultimately I would be more than happy for a slightly revised TJ07 (slightly heightened, easy mounting in the roof, good routing holes, lian-li like HDD bay and easy to swap dust filters ). This eschews the roof mounted rad for lowered vertical size. Not a fan of the front cowl. It reminds me of nasty NZXT’esq styling. Re-jig the front and provide filters and your onto a winner.

Honourable mention:

-Danitgeek:
Another TJ07 revision, but this submission fails in that it lacks any details about the interior or styling. Currently it's just a box. Shame as it’s got the basis of my perfect case.

-Roboduck:
Very neat use of space, but I’m not sold on side 5.25” bays on a case of this size (especially that low). Don’t like the HDD mounting either. I’d prefer some more air gap and vibration decoupling. I like the whole side panel vent thing, but I’m unsure of its need in this situation. If the rad and fans are in the lengthwise orientation would it not shave a few inches of the depth? With all the exhaust it would probably not make much difference to the internal temp and help pull air through the rad?

Good luck all!


My case is just a quick render if i go through everything will be changed but the shape i will be kept same if the community likes it


I was also wondering even if you lose do you still keep copyright for your design or entering you lost you desgin from the start .
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums