EPIA Alloy mod

Shadowed_fury 16th May 2006, 22:20 Quote
Awesome mod! :) Great stuff
DriftCarl 16th May 2006, 22:31 Quote
Although I am mad about cars, that mod really isnt my thing. I have no doubt that it is an amazing mod and very original. But it isnt "spectacular" like some of the other case mods I see around.
speedfreek 16th May 2006, 22:33 Quote
Nice work there, I would be a little too worried to go messing around with some alloys like that but you had sponsorship to help you out. You did good. ;)
Dragon 16th May 2006, 22:35 Quote
Nice mod, I also really respect the fact that he made a point of actually pointing out the errors like wonky PSU, rather than trying to hide them in the photos.
bloodcar 16th May 2006, 22:35 Quote
Now that is nice. That's like the Man's Version of an HTPC.
Mr T 16th May 2006, 22:50 Quote
Looks good shame about the wholes drilled in the rim from the first version :)

An idea i had is how about having the centre cap as the power button? That would be cool.
Firehed 16th May 2006, 23:13 Quote
While the whole tire/rim PC really isn't for me, it's pretty well done. If you discount the fact that home theatre's don't function too well without a DVD drive or tuner.
BG_Geno 16th May 2006, 23:56 Quote
Excellent mod--well worth the effort. One question. Did I miss the part where V2 got a DVD ROM drive? Not much of a Media PC without a DVD ROM drive. DVD's over a networked drive are only so so.
BadHead 17th May 2006, 01:04 Quote
Yip - A wheely good mod - and one that you'll never get tyred of....!

Geddit...geddit.....Aw,well never mind.
Lonesarah 17th May 2006, 02:05 Quote
Can I have taht computer I'll pay for the shipping and handling
mattthegamer463 17th May 2006, 04:21 Quote
Nice mod, but I don't really feel too wowed by it. I guess because I'm a stylish but practical type of guy, and that has about no practical applications. It would just roll off a desk and stuff, so sort of less than normal practicality. Looks pretty cool though. On the plus side, if you drop your PC it will bounce and roll, so it won't break as long as its not jostled too much.
Etacovda 17th May 2006, 04:39 Quote
I thought the first version was terrible, personally (sorry!) but the second one looks the part. I would have used the centre badge as the power button personally.
malcolm 17th May 2006, 06:06 Quote
The valve cap as the reset button would also be great :)

Maybe one of those see through valve caps, and use it as the power light and button in one?
LoneArchon 17th May 2006, 06:13 Quote
Great mod and love the second version even more. But for my room this would not fit and would look out of place. I have to hand it to you on the originality great work and great to see that you did not leave it as it was after version 1
Pookeyhead 17th May 2006, 06:56 Quote
I like computers... I like cars... I like this mod.

Fantastic
Fozzy 17th May 2006, 07:40 Quote
Thank god you re-made that dude the origional didnt look so hot but the revision sweeps and is a very good mod indeed. Personally I would have left the tire off but that's just me.
Fozzy 17th May 2006, 07:44 Quote
Originally Posted by mattthegamer463

Well as for practicality

a) This computer wasnt designed for and will never be used for gameing because epias arent fast enough. That means it's only going to lans as a showpiece which eliminates practicality all together.

b) It's not going on his desk it's sitting next to his computer up against a wall and probably will only be moved once a year.

c) He made a stand for it to keep it from rolling.

d) Who said mods were practical. I used to be able to strip my comp in under an hour. Now it would take at least 5.
GoTaLL 17th May 2006, 08:54 Quote
well allmost right .. i like cars i like the "raw" look on it .. it dont look like a computer ...

i will be using it as a "htpc", sure a dvd would be nice to have in it but not needed "i dont want any parts of the computer showing .. the cables when connected is strapped together so still dont show .. .. its connected to the lan at home works sweet , using talisman desktop on it .. only 4 big buttons showing .. photo, dvd, musik,video got a wireless keyboard with remote what more is needed..

:) ..

it will be brought to Dreamhack for show true but it will still be landing in my livingroom at the end .. (if no one buys it).. ;)
Lazlow 17th May 2006, 10:19 Quote
It looks very good and original. It was good to see that you started again on V2 - the first was OK, but the non-parallel PSU looked terrible.

Is it one of the first mods to blend PC and Car modding?
subasd 17th May 2006, 10:57 Quote
When I first saw the completed pic I thought you had a ton of components inside the tire.

That brings me to the suggestion that maybe put a stealth dvdrom into the tire?

I'm not sure if a desktop drive will fit but if it did then you could quite easily use one of those slot-loading dvd drives. A laptop drive would surely fit but I haven't seen a slot-loading one and a tray would be harder to do.

Would be funny if your friends came over to watch a movie and you started rolling a tire around in your living room, trying to find where the dvd slot is :D

edit: typo
Tibby 17th May 2006, 11:16 Quote
Did you have to pay for the alloy and tire, or did you get those free aswell?

Kudos on the nice job though.

If I was a rich man, I would definetly be purchasing that beauty.

One idea,

If you could get those BMW tires, that when punctured stay hard and are strill driveable on; you could cut into them and hopefully they would hold their shape so you could put a dvd drive in the actual tire.

Just an idea.
bAdI 17th May 2006, 11:58 Quote
I think it's a shame you don't actually get to see the hardware unless you turn it around. I guess it's not a hardware-showoff kind of mod, more of the "see that rim? Its my computer " kind. Still a great mod.
GoTaLL 17th May 2006, 13:36 Quote
well i would think its the otherway around .. if you see it and someone says its a computer ... "I" would take time to check what was in it and how it was made .. can it be more showoff? and if you dont know its a computer and sees it in a living room i would ask why do you have a tire in your living room? i would say its a showoff computer :)
koola 17th May 2006, 14:09 Quote
Can't say I liked either version. All the same, well'ish planned and executed.
Skill3d 17th May 2006, 17:12 Quote
so like someone mencioned earlier.... wheres the dvd drive? :P but other than that very nice mod