Orac³ Part 4

[cibyr] 22nd December 2003, 09:03 Quote
1st reply!

Rockingness as usual
Yo-DUH_87 23rd December 2003, 08:58 Quote
There is no link to this thread on the article page

Last time I was complaining about the last page of the article being blank, this time I've got an entire diffrent problem to complain about

Looking great, as always!

How much is this thing gonna weigh when fully loaded up? Are you gonna have to hire movers to get it from your secret gnomish workshop to your desk? :p
Sir Godfrey 23rd December 2003, 11:46 Quote
Seriously well played mate, this is by far the nicest mod I've ever seen and your articles are like a modding bible. Every time you put a new instalment I'm like "this is ace, but the dvd drives will wreck it, or how will he make all the PCB fit in and look cool?", and you just knock 'em down one by one and keep it looking totally sweet.

Nice choice with the mobo I think the black will look class with the rest of it. My only worry now is that bright red Radeon, not sure that won't stand out from the colour scheme a bit, but I've learned to trust you on that.

Keep it up and this PC should be in an art gallery when its finished.

G-gnome 23rd December 2003, 13:34 Quote
Originally posted by Sir Godfrey

Thanks for the comments Sir Godfrey. The motherboard and PCI cards will be 'hidden' so the colour won't matter all that much. ;)

YD87 - there should be a working link there now (I'm still getting the hang of setting articles live) :D .
-Xp- 23rd December 2003, 16:36 Quote
I love what you did to the pump...I know that most people would ahve given up at this point...not wanting to risk riuning a good pump. But, as usual, you are not so easily beaten...and as usual you continue to amaze us. Can't wait for part 5....

PS I envy your 4 SATA drives....I only have 1 :( .
KypD 23rd December 2003, 18:05 Quote
yup, i've read all of every installment and i hungrily await the next one. :D
5am 24th December 2003, 03:13 Quote
The one thing more than any other I love about g-gnome's posts on his Orac mod are the pics. Really helpful in understanding what he's doing. It's a pain I'm sure to always be stopping to take pics, so many thanks. This mod, as all have said, is a wonder.
G-gnome 24th December 2003, 06:22 Quote
Originally posted by 5am

Thanks 5am! Welcome to the forums (your sig rocks!). :) It certainly does slow things down a lot having to take pics, but it's worth it in the end.

I used to do it professionally (mainly photographing people though) so I tend to be fussy sometimes - usually only with the nice candy pics - the rest I am usually in a rush or are at night with artificial light.
Bluebark 26th December 2003, 14:05 Quote
Can I throw a little praise & glory around in here too…?
GottaHurt 29th December 2003, 02:55 Quote
Incredible. I'm new to all this, but it's nice to see what kind of mentors I have just discovered.
G-gnome 29th December 2003, 03:04 Quote
Originally posted by GottaHurt

Welcome to the forums GottaHurt! :)
x-rae 29th December 2003, 15:40 Quote
gnome do you have any full shots of your computer, i have an idea from the various location shots, but i wanted to know if you have a full view one.
GottaHurt 29th December 2003, 18:20 Quote
Thanks G-gnome. I was over at mnpc.com looking to have some waterjetting done to my case, and he made mention of some of your work. Took a look see for myself, and again, WOW, outstanding craftmanship in your project.
defecto 29th December 2003, 21:02 Quote
This is really unbelievable! It is so cool and it all fits together! I followed your casemod from CaseJunkies, but i have registered on Bit-Tech now. I am looking forward to Orac3 Part 5!!!
einsteinthe2nd 30th December 2003, 01:51 Quote
No Hastling intended at all G-gnome...just wondering how your going with the latest update....just an idea i had, what if you put a little status bar somewhere that indicates how much you estimate your next update to be...to save people always asking when it will be up?......
Goldberg 30th December 2003, 05:19 Quote
Originally posted by einsteinthe2nd
Probably when it's done. A lot of people don't realise that a good mod, done with perfection takes time, a lot of time. I really believe that if you would like to build something like this Orac you should never, ever set a time limit or deadline. Always take your time and don't get rushed by others.Not a flame to you by the way.

In one line:
Just mod don't rush take time
G-gnome 30th December 2003, 15:01 Quote
Christmas has taken it's toll on modding - lots of places are closed, plus family commitments etc. First 2 weeks in Jan should be fairly productive.

I really can't say when it will be done. Won't be long though.

Cheers :)
Sid 30th December 2003, 20:13 Quote
Fantastic work. Nice rack. ;)
einsteinthe2nd 31st December 2003, 02:02 Quote
Originally posted by Goldberg

In one line:
Just mod don't rush take time

I must agree totally....but man do you know how hard it is...argghh this mod is like my life.......its to hard to resist finding out when the next installment is...and I myself was one to comment on how he should not go fast at all...coz we want to see this kind of qulaity and dedication to work right through until the last screw is in place....so please take your time man....but ...argghh i couldnt resist asking when your next update was considering the post you had made in the actuall project the last onme before you locked the thread..i was just curious as to what that meant...

/end making no sense at all
G-gnome 31st December 2003, 02:59 Quote
Originally posted by Sid
Fantastic work. Nice rack. ;)

Thanks Sid. I appreciate the feedback. :)

einsteinthe2nd - Hehehee. I know the feeling - I got it recently looking at mods like ScopeDog's 'PRIME' and Piloux's 'Dark Crystal Woodcase' projects (and anything by Cold Dog over at Pheatonforums). :D

I locked the original thread because it's old and tired now and can die a natural death since all the stuff in it has been written up and posted on the main site as articles. I can't say when things will be done because whenever I set deadlines I am usually too optimistic and something comes up etc etc :( I have been pretty slack the last few weeks though Trying to have a totally relaxing holiday away from my normal job (=stress) and modding is still a little like 'work' at times (plus I got Star Wars KOTOR for xmas and it has lured me away to the dark-side!).

I promise I will get lots done as of 01 Jan onwards and there will be an update in the next couple of weeks (to the project log) regardless of whether I have finished the whole case or not.

Cheers
tortuegeniale 31st December 2003, 13:52 Quote
After the toothbrush, the Orac3 Mac ? :p

- do u have an approximative weigth of ur case ? thx
tekcache 31st December 2003, 15:13 Quote
That is an amazing job hands down. I only wish I had the patience to wait that long in my modding to do something nearly as great.
NamDcV 3rd January 2004, 01:44 Quote
Great Work! Your excellent pictures and descriptions make it so easy for the reader to understand exactly what you intend them to. Great write up, and of course superb case! Keep up the great work! Anyone can tell that you will have even better things to come.

One question i ahd that i ahve always wondered, and happened to be mentioned in your very first section was the pin extraction from the atx plug. How exactly did you do that, i have always wodnered, possibly a link or something, i know you said you read a guide before. Thanks, and sorry if i should have posted in the thread for Part 1.
RotoSequence 6th January 2004, 05:42 Quote
Your stunning work on the Orac3 project is setting a new standard of quality in mods (Not up to the quality of yours, but just more so they dont look bad in comparison :)) I do have one question though. How much of a hole is this project burning in your poor wallet? (Ill imagine quite a big one. **Dude, I can see out the other side of you**)

Excellent work! Keep it up! (And death to beige! :D ) Keep those tools of yours working on this awesome Mod! We salute you!
spookyman60 11th January 2004, 01:28 Quote
hey new here at bit-tech i would just like to excelent it was the first thing i read when i visited you have drawn me in to the bit-tech collective