Orac³ Part 3

penski 14th December 2003, 23:04 Quote
Ooh. *Clicky*

*n
nekrosoft13 15th December 2003, 02:35 Quote
holly ****

that excellent work

you are a true moddin god

p.s. how much do you want for it ;)
Mat-d-Rat 15th December 2003, 08:43 Quote
SOOOO many cables, will there be enough space left for the motherboard??!! :) Nice work - best detailing I've ever seen.
BioSniper 15th December 2003, 10:26 Quote
its still looking mighty fine ;)

cant wait to see what you do to the mobo (if anything)
ChriX 15th December 2003, 10:31 Quote
Love it. The way you have all the wires hidden is great, makes it look a lot less like a PC. Good job! ;)
G-gnome 15th December 2003, 10:37 Quote
Originally posted by Mat-d-Rat
SOOOO many cables, will there be enough space left for the motherboard??!!

Wait and see... (you won't be disappointed ;) )
Cheese 15th December 2003, 11:06 Quote
Originally posted by Mat-d-Rat

Motherboards are overrated ;)

Rob.
penski 15th December 2003, 12:24 Quote
Who needs a PC when you have a pretty box of cables?

Hmm...Is it at all possible to seperate the layers of a PCB and make it more....Three dimensional? whilst still retaining functionality?

*n
[DE]FreD_S 15th December 2003, 12:25 Quote
That`s the part I`m looking forward to most : cable routing ! Let`s see how you do that ... will probably be as good as the rest. But I still wonder where all that cable stuff is going to go ...

Good luck !

Cheers

Fred
phaSe 15th December 2003, 13:07 Quote
Great work as ever g-gnome!

just a quick thing, on page 11, you say a black mark on the right hand photo, did you mean left or have i missed something?

having been reading your logs, the articles are a great way to just see the mods!

again, great work, good luck getting it (her?) finished! :D

RoB
squirrelly 15th December 2003, 13:33 Quote
Truly amazing man. You are one of the few I have seen that can take a rat's nest of cables and make it into something beautiful.

I've been reading your articles and log since the start gotten a lot of great ideas. The attention you pay to little things like the DVD drives lighted eject button are what really set this mod apart from the rest.
-Xp- 15th December 2003, 13:40 Quote
Lookign good, still. The cables are in a bit of a mish-mash at the moment (thinking of the ones in the briad+tubing...there are a lot of them). Are they going to be sorted nicely or is that how they were meant to be. It looks so nice ATM, but I feel its spoilt by the writing on the DVD drives...makes it look a bit to complex. Apart from that, 11.5/10 ;). Keep it coming :) Will be looking forward to part 4 in the new year.
Dusty49er 15th December 2003, 20:09 Quote
You are completely raving bonkers.

But... I know how you feel. I once had a Ford Anglia (yes I am that old and sad) and I decided to drop a 2000cc Triumph engine in it, which required larger tyres, which required mods to the axles, and of course larger brakes - preferably discs on the front - which of course required a completely new master cylinder under the bonnet and completely new piping, then the bodywork around the tyres was rubbing.

Now you're bored - and there's the difference. Orac3 looks utterly fantastic, whereas the Anglia looked like a pile of poo.

I seriously think you do need to get out more - but not until you've written up Part IV...
pranks7er 15th December 2003, 21:30 Quote
i think the project looks great ! but i think the cables even though they looks soooooo cool will you be tidying them up slightly?
Confusitron 16th December 2003, 00:37 Quote
You do some beautiful work, G-gnome. Just think how much money we spend to make our computer look better, which is not even necessary.
G-gnome 16th December 2003, 00:56 Quote
Originally posted by phaSe
Great work as ever g-gnome!

again, great work, good luck getting it (her?) finished! :D

RoB

Hi Rob, thanks for the praise mate.

Right vs Left? - I'll have a looksie - I probably did mean left from memory . I'll go fix it up. Well spotted and my thanks! :)

BTW Orac3 is a he - like the original.

EDIT - checked the article, I definitely did mean left. All fixed now. Thanks again phaSe!
G-gnome 16th December 2003, 01:09 Quote
Originally posted by pranks7er

The cables will be tidier/more routed in the finished case. It's messy currently because there are still a lot of things to go into the mod that these loose cables will plug into, and then they'll be tidied together some more.

Bear in mind though that the whole Vintage Sci Fi, giant Electronic Brain look is exactly what I have been going for since the beginning - think Dr WHO and Blakes 7 sets and props. This necessitates lots of cables which is why I have made so many. e.g. I could have halved the amount by combining quite a few into single cables but I wouldn't have gotten the effect I was after. I realise it's not to everyones taste, but you get that with everything I suppose.

Until then, I guess you'll just have to use your imagination?

G-gnome 16th December 2003, 01:15 Quote
Originally posted by -Xp-

Hi -Xp- :)

See my previous post re: the cables.

For the writing on the DVD drives - the point has been raised and discussed in the project logs part of the forums. I agree it stands out but I am more concerned with the headphone sockets and the volume control. I plan to cover them at some point. Time constraints prevented addressing it at the time but the plan is to fix 'em up as a 'tidy-up' task when the mod is finished.

Thanks for the feedback. B)
Crumbly 16th December 2003, 05:04 Quote
When I stumbled across Macro Black awhile ago I was gobbsmacked and now this . Orac3 and Macro Black must be the two most amazing modds I've ever seen .

Just for interest sake, I'll like to know the costs involved in such a spectacular modd when its finished, in terms of dollars and time .
phaSe 16th December 2003, 06:46 Quote
Originally posted by G-gnome

BTW Orac3 is a he - like the original.

i wasnt sure, it just didnt feel right saying 'it'!
Originally posted by Crumbly

Cumbly....not a chance on the $$$! Many people have asked and the most you'll get out of g-gnome is LOTS!

As for time....im not sure, but id say verging on the forever! :D

Keep going g-gnome!

RoB
Major Cuffage 17th December 2003, 06:06 Quote
G-gnome, u r the modding god.

As a fan of BBC Sci-Fi (Check out Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy and early Red Dwarf for some great sfx) I am truly in awe of the attention to detail and beauty of Orac3.

However, I can't help noticing the bizarre similarities between all that cabling and the baby from 'The Matrix'

http://www.techangel.co.uk/~majorcuffage/orac3_cables.jpghttp://www.techangel.co.uk/~majorcuffage/matrix_pod_baby.jpg :|

Maybe the MoBo mod will be a baby-shaped case with loads of cables stuck in it.......?

Can't wait to see the finished article..

Keep up the good work G-gnome
G-gnome 17th December 2003, 11:33 Quote
Are you wanting to know if the Matrix movie have any influence on my designs?

None whatsoever I'm afraid.

I have only seen the first matrix film, years ago when it was first on at the movies. Was that picture from that one or one of the later ones? I never even thought about it until a couple of peeps said the shower hoses reminded them of some robot or other out of the movie.

If you want a real Matrix mod, check out CrimsonSkys amazing The Matrix: Rebirth 8.0 casemod or his latest Matrix case Regenerator.

Vintage SciFi (incl. HHGTTG, Dr WHO etc) and pics of the original Orac were my inspiration.

I think if I could name my dream job - propmaker for the BBC 20-odd years ago would fit the bill. The designs back then were great despite the budget.

penski 17th December 2003, 15:01 Quote
'The budget' meaning 'What they found down the back of the sofa in the staff canteen that morning'.

I'm not often impressed by mods. To be honest, nearly all of them look crap to me....But this...this is beauty.

*n
Butch 18th December 2003, 09:53 Quote
HOLY SH*T!!

This just keeps on getting better and better G-Gnome

This is one of the best projects i have seen