bit-tech.net

550W-650W PSU Roundup 2014

Comments 1 to 17 of 17

Reply
Xlog 20th June 2014, 11:08 Quote
Are conclusions on 12-th page intentional? It's a bit odd to put them in the middle of an article. Also, what are scores for in the last page?
Dogbert666 20th June 2014, 11:42 Quote
Fair point - I've amended the page order.

Scores on that page were just an issue with the score generator. Should be removed now. Please note we've also updated the Cooler Master page with an Approved award - I always meant to but forgot!
bawjaws 20th June 2014, 11:56 Quote
Quote:
We asked our regular contacts to send us a model within the 550-650 watt range
I really hope this is a Terminator reference.

"Hey, just what you see, pal!"
Shirty 20th June 2014, 12:15 Quote
How would the Seasonic Fanless 520W Platinum fare within this group?

This one.

It's more than enough to power any single socket, single GPU rig, and I think it's mint.
Hustler 20th June 2014, 13:08 Quote
Overclockers also do the EVGA G2 750w Gold for only £10 more than the Superflower 650.

Superflower make them for EVGA...so basically you get the same PSU with an extra 100watts and a 10yr warranty, bargain.
tonyd223 20th June 2014, 14:29 Quote
Yay - paid off buying Corsair after all - thanks for helping me avoid buyers remorse BT!
SchizoFrog 20th June 2014, 14:53 Quote
I'm about what, 4-5 years in to the life of a Be Quiet! 650W modular PSU and it is rock solid so far. I doubt I'll need a replacement any time soon unless I need a smaller one for a case change.
pbryanw 21st June 2014, 19:15 Quote
Yay, love roundups - hope there's more to come on Bit-tech. Good to hear the Corsair PSUs coming out well in this test, my Corsair is still doing good service.
RedFlames 21st June 2014, 20:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
I'm about what, 4-5 years in to the life of a Be Quiet! 650W modular PSU and it is rock solid so far. I doubt I'll need a replacement any time soon unless I need a smaller one for a case change.

Same, only downside to the model i have is it not using a standard kettle lead...
Fizzban 21st June 2014, 20:57 Quote
Still rockin it with my Antec Truepower New 650w. This beauty has been flawless since day one. Still under warranty too.
mi1ez 23rd June 2014, 04:12 Quote
62% for the Codegen was bloody generous!
rollo 23rd June 2014, 11:35 Quote
How does the codegen get 62% surely any psu that can't output the maximum specified watts is a huge failure no matter price. I'd of given is sub 20% personally. I've seen reviews of it rated 0/5.
Shirty 23rd June 2014, 13:04 Quote
More importantly, if you're going to buy a **** no-name PSU that doesn't work properly, you can get one for less than a tenner :)
GuilleAcoustic 23rd June 2014, 14:45 Quote
Just changed the computer and I'm wondering if I should change the PSU too. I'm using a Corsair HX520W that I bought in 2008. It's 6 years old and I'm fearing that it could die, taking my brand new rig with it. What do you think ?

I'm using i5-4570 + GTX770, no OC planned. Case is a Lian Li PC-V353 and saw that the Corsair RM650 fits. Any input about this PSU ?
Fizzban 23rd June 2014, 16:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic
Just changed the computer and I'm wondering if I should change the PSU too. I'm using a Corsair HX520W that I bought in 2008. It's 6 years old and I'm fearing that it could die, taking my brand new rig with it. What do you think ?

I'm using i5-4570 + GTX770, no OC planned. Case is a Lian Li PC-V353 and saw that the Corsair RM650 fits. Any input about this PSU ?

Can't comment on that psu, but in my experiance they usually start to cause system instability before they fall over. So long as your rig is not constantly riding the edge of its capabilitys I would'nt worry.

The other option is to buy a new one and put the corsair one in a secondary pc / pc for kid /pc for a friend ect..
Shirty 23rd June 2014, 16:44 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic
Just changed the computer and I'm wondering if I should change the PSU too. I'm using a Corsair HX520W that I bought in 2008. It's 6 years old and I'm fearing that it could die, taking my brand new rig with it. What do you think ?

I'm using i5-4570 + GTX770, no OC planned. Case is a Lian Li PC-V353 and saw that the Corsair RM650 fits. Any input about this PSU ?

If you had bought the PSU I mentioned in post #5 it would still have a year's warranty remaining ;)

Your ears would be happy, your volts stable.
GuilleAcoustic 23rd June 2014, 17:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzban
Can't comment on that psu, but in my experiance they usually start to cause system instability before they fall over. So long as your rig is not constantly riding the edge of its capabilitys I would'nt worry.

The other option is to buy a new one and put the corsair one in a secondary pc / pc for kid /pc for a friend ect..

This is the idea. I'd like to reuse the Q6600 as a game server / compiling / rendering node.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty
If you had bought the PSU I mentioned in post #5 it would still have a year's warranty remaining ;)

Your ears would be happy, your volts stable.

I still haven't bought anything :D. I've been thinking about this PSU, but it's very very expensive (162€ here). But, on the other hand, I've selected all my component with warranty in mind. None of them have below 5 years of warranty (except CPU I guess)

- Motherboard : 5 years (Asus Z87 Gryphon)
- RAM : 10 years (Kingston)
- GPU : 5 years (with EVGA extended warranty)
- SSD : 5 years (Sandisk Extrem II)
- Fans : 6 years (Noctua)

So a 7 years on a PSU would not be that bad ... missus will kill me xD
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums