bit-tech.net

Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 review

Comments 1 to 25 of 25

Reply
sixfootsideburns 29th October 2012, 11:35 Quote
Am I the only person whose biggest desire with backlit keyboards is to just have a white option?

I think having bright blue or red keys (especially in a low light setting) is just really annoying. I would much rather have a dimable white key over a red or blue one any day of the week. From my searching there are very few white options available though so maybe I'm alone on this one.
Combatus 29th October 2012, 11:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootsideburns
Am I the only person whose biggest desire with backlit keyboards is to just have a white option?

I think having bright blue or red keys (especially in a low light setting) is just really annoying. I would much rather have a dimable white key over a red or blue one any day of the week. From my searching there are very few white options available though so maybe I'm alone on this one.

As luck would have it this very keyboard is available with white LED backlighting ;)
Paradigm Shifter 29th October 2012, 11:52 Quote
I'd like a white backlit keyboard too, so this is good.

However, in low-light environments, I prefer red... it's less intrusive. Blue and green are the worst colours for backlighting in low-light environments. (I dislike the obsession the tech world current has with blue lights everywhere - they can give me a headache...)
sixfootsideburns 29th October 2012, 13:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
As luck would have it this very keyboard is available with white LED backlighting ;)

Yeah the problem is the freaking price tag!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter
I'd like a white backlit keyboard too, so this is good.

However, in low-light environments, I prefer red... it's less intrusive. Blue and green are the worst colours for backlighting in low-light environments. (I dislike the obsession the tech world current has with blue lights everywhere - they can give me a headache...)

Can and do for me also, personally I find red light in low lighting situations strains my eyes. I understand why its used, but I still would prefer white (warm white would be easier on the eyes than cold white).

And I completely agree that the current black body with blue/green/red lights is getting pretty old. Personally I've never cared for it much at all, but after years of the same I would just love a little diversity. I wish some of these companies would show some creativity and give us something different. There are definitely other options available but they just seem to be either hardly worth the price tag (see above :)) or ugly as hell
Ivoryspike 29th October 2012, 14:29 Quote
So apart from the programmable backlit and reactive type features, is this one the same for £50 less?

http://www.cclonline.com/product/84111/KB-502/Keyboards/Ducky-DK-9008-G2-Pro-Mechanical-Keyboard/KBD0467/
Shirty 29th October 2012, 14:44 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivoryspike
So apart from the programmable backlit and reactive type features, is this one the same for £50 less?

http://www.cclonline.com/product/84111/KB-502/Keyboards/Ducky-DK-9008-G2-Pro-Mechanical-Keyboard/KBD0467/

That's the price you pay for backlighting on a mechanical keyboard. 109 individual LEDs soldered on to the pcb + associated electronic controller = fiddly and expensive.
Ivoryspike 29th October 2012, 14:56 Quote
Ahh sorry i thought that one was full backlit, I should have used this one as example:

http://www.cclonline.com/product/84113/KB-506/Keyboards/Ducky-DK-9008-Shine-1-Blue-LED-Mechanical-Keyboard/KBD0469/

Same wiring etc but with 2 extra modes for the lights (programmable backlit and reactive) for £50. Seems steep.
Shirty 29th October 2012, 14:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCL Product Page
Illuminated keyboard, charming and fascinating

:)

The £50 is because it's the new model. Capitalism baby. £100 isn't a bad price for the Shine 1 at all though, shame I don't like blacks.
IvanIvanovich 29th October 2012, 15:07 Quote
These are available in all 4 common switch type (red, brown, blue, black) and several color of backlight. There is also a tenkeyless version out as well. There are a few improvement over the first version of shine, most notably v2 will remember the backlight setting between power off.
Ivoryspike 29th October 2012, 15:11 Quote
Loved that description :)

Bleh damn Capitalism + UK hike... $145 in the states

Yeah I am pretty much all ready to splash out and get my first mech keyboard and the Shine 1 seems to fit the bill. Not sure on what colour mx to get, kinda decided to get reds (typically £15 more expensive than blacks in CCL at least).

What colour did ya go for?
Ivoryspike 29th October 2012, 15:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysol
These are available in all 4 common switch type (red, brown, blue, black) and several color of backlight. There is also a tenkeyless version out as well. There are a few improvement over the first version of shine, most notably v2 will remember the backlight setting between power off.

Yeah, I like the look of the tenkeyless version, will have to weigh up how much I use it atm. I suppose that could get quite annoying, not remembering between power off.... hmmm £50 though.
Shirty 29th October 2012, 15:21 Quote
Thanks lysol, should have know that really :o

I've tried the four main Cherry MX switches and I like reds best followed by browns. If I were a pure typist I'd probably pick blues over the lot but only if the noise wasn't an issue... blacks were just too firm for me.
IvanIvanovich 29th October 2012, 16:56 Quote
Order from international, and hope you don't get slammed at the customs for fees...
I just thought I would mention those things since they really were not in the review. There is a lot more choices than what is mentioned.
m0ngy 29th October 2012, 20:04 Quote
Another lackluster review from Bit-tech.

I've had a Ducky II for a couple of months, and it's an excellent keyboard. It's almost perfect in it's minimalism, even to the extent it's purely plug and play, no software required. At the highest brightness setting the backlighting is certainly "garish", but no-one's going to use it. The lowest setting provides optimal visibility while being an excellent pitch, so it's really a mute point. The Cherry MX black keys suck (had a Thermaltake Meka G-Unit previously), few mechanical keyboard users buy them, but that didn't stop Bit-tech reviewing 'em, did it? With a purely linear feel and no tactile feedback they're merely OK for gaming, and they suck for typing. You'll find most people using browns or blues, often with rubber o-rings to cut down noise. I note you gave the K60 86%, yet it's not even backlit, which is pretty damn important. Oh, but it does have multimedia keys and that brushed aluminium is sooo sexy... talk about style over substance! Also, as others have commented, the UK RRP is ridiculous, and can be bought for around US$150 from any e-tailer, so that's another mute point.
Shirty 29th October 2012, 20:23 Quote
Just a point m0ngy, you only ever seem to post on here how **** you think Bit-tech is. Have you ever considered that you might be reading the wrong site?

Bit-tech does component reviews well, but attempts to cater to a wider audience with the occasional peripheral/monitor review. These are at best opinion pieces written by reviewers whose expertise lies elsewhere, but are an entry point for those who don't venture into the forums too often.

Just take them for what the are. Quite frankly keyboards, speakers etc. are so subjective that reviews are only ever opinion pieces wherever you read them. A reviewer given a 'board with a switch type they don't get on with will likely heap criticism on it, whereas it will be the perfect choice for someone else.
Yslen 29th October 2012, 20:28 Quote
I have the Ducky "Year of the Dragon" which is, as I understand it, essentially the TKL version of this board. Love it, definitely worth the price tag; less than 10 GBP more than the equivalent Filco once delivery is factored in and the Filco has no lighting.
GeorgeStorm 29th October 2012, 20:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngy
Another lackluster review from Bit-tech.

I've had a Ducky II for a couple of months, and it's an excellent keyboard. It's almost perfect in it's minimalism, even to the extent it's purely plug and play, no software required. At the highest brightness setting the backlighting is certainly "garish", but no-one's going to use it. The lowest setting provides optimal visibility while being an excellent pitch, so it's really a mute point. The Cherry MX black keys suck (had a Thermaltake Meka G-Unit previously), few mechanical keyboard users buy them, but that didn't stop Bit-tech reviewing 'em, did it? With a purely linear feel and no tactile feedback they're merely OK for gaming, and they suck for typing. You'll find most people using browns or blues, often with rubber o-rings to cut down noise. I note you gave the K60 86%, yet it's not even backlit, which is pretty damn important. Oh, but it does have multimedia keys and that brushed aluminium is sooo sexy... talk about style over substance! Also, as others have commented, the UK RRP is ridiculous, and can be bought for around US$150 from any e-tailer, so that's another mute point.

Cherry Black switches are still popular, currently using them with no intentions of changing (having had boards with reds, blues, browns)
Also people who use o-rings are misguided, the noise is half of the awesomeness! ;D

Backlighting is important to some, not to others, just like most of the things you're commenting on. Peripherals aren't as easy to review as a cpu, it isn't just 'better', it's more personal.
The UK RRP is relevant since this is a UK site really...
law99 29th October 2012, 21:18 Quote
want vs need is coming on strong
Anfield 29th October 2012, 21:52 Quote
Trying to review a keyboard or mouse is like trying to rate the looks of a pc case, personal opinion just happens to be very important.

Anyway, I don't see much wrong with the review, it explains the functionality, mentions problems (backlight flickering) and so on.
Yslen 29th October 2012, 22:38 Quote
Also worth pointing out there is no backlight flickering with my ducky. I assume it's the same tech as the two models are so similar, so it's either specific to the shine 2 or it's a one off issue with the review sample.
the_kille4 30th October 2012, 02:31 Quote
Currently using v1, not much qualms aside from the blue back light. Previously I used a Razer Black Widow Ultimate which was a Dragon Age Limited Edition which also meant that the back light was red. That's the only thing I liked, other than that the foot print of the keyboard itself was too large for my desk.
wafflesomd 30th October 2012, 03:04 Quote
Wish I could try a mechanical keyboard to see what all the fuss is about. Any reason as to why they're so expensive?
m0ngy 30th October 2012, 04:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty
Bit-tech does component reviews well, but attempts to cater to a wider audience with the occasional peripheral/monitor review. These are at best opinion pieces written by reviewers whose expertise lies elsewhere, but are an entry point for those who don't venture into the forums too often.

So, what exactly is Bit-tech's forte? Attempting to pass off advertising as an actual opinion piece, article, or journalism? http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2012/09/06/the-evolution-of-amd-s-graphics-cards/1

Or giving a very average, totally over hyped new game a near perfect score? http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2012/10/08/dishonored-review/1
Quote:
A reviewer given a 'board with a switch type they don't get on with will likely heap criticism on it, whereas it will be the perfect choice for someone else.

True, and an important point. I would have thought any 'professional' review would acknowledge this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by law99
want vs need is coming on strong

I'd argue that once you've experienced a backlit keyboard it'd very hard to go back to one without.
Shirty 30th October 2012, 07:09 Quote
I refer you back to the second sentence of my post ;)
Eiffie 16th November 2012, 18:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd
Wish I could try a mechanical keyboard to see what all the fuss is about. Any reason as to why they're so expensive?

For the longest time I didn't really believe the hype over mechanical keyboards myself. Growing up I had never owned one and for years gamed on a PC without one. Recently I made the switch (about two weeks ago) and got a basic CM Storm Quickfire Pro with cherry mx brown switches for $70 on newegg and let me tell you, it's like typing on the clouds of angels. When you press the keys on a mechanical keyboard your fingers don't feel like their hitting mushy plastic that is fighting back while with a mechanical keyboard your muscle memory in your hands will almost instantly start to change since the keys all require nearly the same exact pressure to activate the switch. It's true that there's a lot of different key switches to pick from and they do tend to make a bit more noise when you hit them, especially if you are hammering the keys or you are a heavy handed typist but the smooth action of each key really allows your fingers to "glide" across the board as you type, making the experience of even filling out a online survey enjoyable!!! If no one you know owns a true mechanical keyboard, try going to a PC supply store where they might have a few on display. The type of switches you choose will make a fairly big difference (blue, brown, red and black are the main four out there but there are other more exotic switches to choose from) but any mechanical keyboard is surely worth the money if you spend a good deal of your day on your computer. It's hard to put into words just how enjoyable a nice mechanical keyboard can be so your best bet is to go try one out for a bit and just see for yourself. If you truly don't think they are worth the money, then stick to your keyboard you are using now. I don't think I'd ever go back to anything else and I plan on replacing my keyboard at work as soon as I have some extra funds to do so.

As for why they are so expensive, well the switches themselves cost more to make and the parts of the keyboard as a whole are generally made from sturdier stuff. Some mechanical keyboards even come with a steel backplate so there is almost 0% flex to the board. It's true that there are a ton of overpriced mechanical keyboards on the market, you do have to shop around if you want a good deal but it's totally worth it in my eyes to do so. Another added bonus to a mechanical keyboard is that removing the keycaps is fairly simple and the switches aren't prone to breaking like a cheaper keyboard would that isn't meant to have the keycaps taken off. This makes cleaning the underside of most boards really simple as you can remove a section of keys, grab your vacuum and go to town on all that dust and debris that collects underneath, if you have laser etched keys that won't fade easily, you can simply wash them with some hot and mildy soapy water to get all the guck and grim off of them. This not only gives your keyboard a solid lifespan but it will make you happier to type on it after an accidental cookie crumble!!! :) Try doing that with most membrane keyboards and you'll probably end up just wanting to get a new keyboard instead.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums