bit-tech.net

Corsair K60 Vengeance Review

Comments 26 to 50 of 55

Reply
ZeDestructor 18th December 2011, 18:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast
Since my first post I've been looking at keyboards all night long. I'm not done but this one looks like a winner.
AZxCJllb6hU


As far as spending some coin on a keyboard, look at it as an investment. Membrane keyboards are rated for 1 million keystrokes and they last 2-5years. Mechanical switches are rated for 20-50 million keystrokes, so they should last 40-250 years based on membrane life times

As a Ducky DK9008G2 owner, I can vouch for the superb quality of their keyboards. The only tougher keyboard I've used so far is the IBM Model M.

As for the rest of the keyboard.. well, they use double-shot keys instead of painted lasered-off black paint on translucent keycaps, so the keys themselves will last a fair while, and unlike some manufacturers, Ducky mounts their switches to an aluminium plate, which besides increasing overall toughness, also makes the switches more secure with a MUCH lower risk of pulling out the switch when pulling out the caps.

The casing can feel a bit flimsy at times though, but it will last a drop or two, possibly even murdering the odd mugger.

The special editions even support N-Key rollover over USB as well as PS/2, even though its unlikely you'll ever pres more than 6 keys + modifiers...
Da_Rude_Baboon 19th December 2011, 15:40 Quote
Where do you buy the ducky keyboards from?
GeorgeStorm 19th December 2011, 16:29 Quote
Ebay/chinese sites basically.

geekhack.org/deskthority.com are great places if you're intersted in mechanical keyboards, been really helpful for me (also have marketplaces, tis how I got my Ducky.)
kenco_uk 19th December 2011, 16:32 Quote
There's some on that Yorkshire trading site - e-bay. £90-odd upwards though, ouch.
sear 19th December 2011, 16:44 Quote
This review sounds like it was written by a first-time mechanical keyboard user. Funny that the Reds are so praised, most people prefer the Browns or Blues.

Keyboard is interesting but it sounds suspiciously cheap due to them using mechanical keys. Presumably it's a cost-saving measure and it just makes no sense to me considering you're already buying an expensive, premium keyboard.

Also, how is the quality of the key caps themselves? It's an unfortunate reality that many mechanical keyboards get worn down, not as far as action goes but as far as key texture and even the lettering on them goes. You can buy replacement caps, but the higher initial quality, the better.
Jipa 19th December 2011, 17:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sear
Also, how is the quality of the key caps themselves? It's an unfortunate reality that many mechanical keyboards get worn down, not as far as action goes but as far as key texture and even the lettering on them goes. You can buy replacement caps, but the higher initial quality, the better.

How on earth do you test/see this out of the box?
leslie 19th December 2011, 21:40 Quote
My keyboards and thoughts on them.

Black Widow Ultimate, feels good, except that on upstroke, the keys have a weird float sensation I dislike, very few will not notice it. You don't notice the float when typing fast or mashing keys in a game. If you have a scissor based keyboard such as the Logitech illuminated, you may be more prone to notice the float. The blue lighting is a bit annoying due to color and brightness and who thought the printing style or flipping which label is primary on this was a good idea? It's a nice keyboard marred by stupid choices. It's quite large too. Supposedly the keys sticking has been fixed, I had to fix mine. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice keyboard, and I would still pick it over a membrane keyboard any day as it's good for fast typing.

Das w/browns... It's very basic compared to the Widow series. It loses the float sensation(yay!), which is why I got it, but also a little of the noise (yay) and a lot of the tactile feedback (bad). This is my preferred keyboard, it's quieter than the Widow or IBM and a good compromise between typing and gaming. It's nice and compact for small desks (compare to an IBM Model M or Widow). It's not as bombproof as the Widow or IBM, both of which have a nice thick metal plate in them. It's not weak, just not overbuilt like them.

All Cherry keyboards seem to have a bit of key friction or slight binding feel. It's still less than cheap membrane keyboards, but it's there. Coming from a scissor keyboard (Logitech Illuminated) you can certainly feel it. There is simply not as much guiding the switch down.

As for the glossy black on both of those keyboards... Why are you touching it in places other than the keys? Sorry, but this is a ridiculous complaint really, besides, the Das has very little framework anyhow.


IBM Model M, I have one of these as well, which unfortunately died (I think the usb adapter is what died, not the keyboard). This is a typists keyboard, it's extremely fast to type on, but NOISY. It has less keybinding, the most noise, and most feedback. All of these others are just wannabes to be honest. It is and looks like a beast sitting on your desk.

Another keyboard I have is the Logitech Illuminated, this too is a great keyboard. It has smoother action than all of them, and softer lighting. It's also the most quiet. It's probably one of the most under appreciated keyboards out there. The one downfall on these is a bit less feedback and key travel, and strength, this is a relatively weak keyboard compared to the others with no metal and very thin. This looks very nice sitting on a desk, not too big, not too small, but also very high tech and smooth.
Ficky Pucker 19th December 2011, 21:55 Quote
corsair suck, £100 for a nearly mechanical keyboard, what a joke.
The_Beast 19th December 2011, 23:45 Quote
I'm REALLY considering buying the Duckie Shine DK9008S. Now I just need to decide on buying here in the US for a bit more $$$ and not the LED color I want, or ordering from a foreign company based in China for just a bit less and the LED color I want



I'm definitely getting the browns.
Grimloon 20th December 2011, 19:45 Quote
Hmm, looks interesting. Very few frills and a lower noise switch sounds good to me, I may have grown up hearing a continual "taka taka taka taka taka" from the keyboard but I definitely don't miss the noise. The fact that it's a UK layout is a winner as I NEED the backslash key exactly where it should be on the left, thank you very much.

It sounds solidly built and as though it might last a while, I'm fed up of spending £30+ on something that feels great to start with and steadily goes gimpy on me over time. Oh well, wait for the over time pay in January.
Bede 20th December 2011, 22:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimloon
Hmm, looks interesting. Very few frills and a lower noise switch sounds good to me, I may have grown up hearing a continual "taka taka taka taka taka" from the keyboard but I definitely don't miss the noise. The fact that it's a UK layout is a winner as I NEED the backslash key exactly where it should be on the left, thank you very much.

It sounds solidly built and as though it might last a while, I'm fed up of spending £30+ on something that feels great to start with and steadily goes gimpy on me over time. Oh well, wait for the over time pay in January.

This. It is also a nice-looking keyboard, though that is largely subjective. £100 for a keyboard makes me sad though, tis more than I spent on my motherboard.
Farfalho 22nd December 2011, 16:22 Quote
Now you are hardwired to WASD but with the Isku it was tough to see if your fingers were in the right place....
I have to check if both reviews were done by the same person.
Have to check for myself this mechanical keyboards if they really are all that. Also, can anyone explain me the differences between Black, blue, red and so on?
leslie 23rd December 2011, 01:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede
This. It is also a nice-looking keyboard, though that is largely subjective. £100 for a keyboard makes me sad though, tis more than I spent on my motherboard.

Turn in your geek card at the door.

Funny how people do this...
The parts you spend all your time interacting with (mouse, monitor, keyboard) are the places people tend to go cheap on and yet it's where you can notice it more than anything else. This is exactly why IBM spent so much time and effort designing the old Model M keyboard and why 20 years on they are still sought after.

Peripheral companies have really missed the boat on this. None of it has the hype and proper promotion that companies like Intel and Nvidia do. Sure a faster cpu is nice, but if your monitor hurts your eyes after a bit, how much time will you spend using your super fast processor. Heat sink fans and power supplies seem to get more praise and hype than a mouse/keyboard/monitor.
Ficky Pucker 23rd December 2011, 17:01 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfalho
Now you are hardwired to WASD but with the Isku it was tough to see if your fingers were in the right place....
I have to check if both reviews were done by the same person.
Have to check for myself this mechanical keyboards if they really are all that. Also, can anyone explain me the differences between Black, blue, red and so on?
http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide#post_6009482
Yorkie 27th December 2011, 01:19 Quote
Just thrown in an order for a Ducky Shine, with brown switches, to replace my Sidewinder X8 as the backlight appears to have died after spilling some cider on it :P
The_Beast 27th December 2011, 01:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie
Just thrown in an order for a Ducky Shine, with brown switches, to replace my Sidewinder X8 as the backlight appears to have died after spilling some cider on it :P

Where did you buy it from? tell me how you like it when you get it, I'm thinking of ordering one soon :)
Yorkie 27th December 2011, 18:37 Quote
Will do, same cost as the Razer Black Widow Ultimate Stealth I was going to get but supposedly in stock so we will see.
GeorgeStorm 27th December 2011, 23:06 Quote
Would also like some details, since I nearly got one, but decided to go tenkeyless, but am still tempted to pick one up
longweight 27th December 2011, 23:07 Quote
How is the tenkeyless? Which switch did you go for? How loud is it?
GeorgeStorm 27th December 2011, 23:12 Quote
Me?

I went for the Ducky 1087 with blue switches, I really like it, it's certainly not quiet (don't have any other mechanical keyboards to compare it to noise wise) I think I'm bottoming out all of the time while typing atm, which probably doesn't help with the noise levels.
So pleased I went tenkeyless though, extra desk space with very little downsides for me (made me realise how little I used the numpad!)
leslie 28th December 2011, 00:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm
Me?

I went for the Ducky 1087 with blue switches, I really like it, it's certainly not quiet (don't have any other mechanical keyboards to compare it to noise wise) I think I'm bottoming out all of the time while typing atm, which probably doesn't help with the noise levels.
So pleased I went tenkeyless though, extra desk space with very little downsides for me (made me realise how little I used the numpad!)

You can buy foam rubber "Landing Pads" that will make it much quieter and soften the bottoming out. It does dim the lights though.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,slpads

I put them on my BW Ultimate, it helped a bit, I went with soft, but I would recommend going for hard to avoid feeling spongy (and still bottom out hard) and hard will probably give more benefit on sound and impact. Beware, you may void you warranty putting them on, not to mention a hassle, Cherry key caps need to pulled straight up to avoid damage and there are a lot of key caps to pull. Be especially careful on the large keys due to the torsion bars.

On the other hand, on the Das w/browns they made the system feel spongy and cheap, almost like a cheap rubber domed keyboard. I took them off after a few minutes, luckily I had only done a few keys.

I think they were okay on the blues because of the solid click, but they also are partly (not entirely) responsible for the "float" sensation I feel with the blues.

The blues are almost as quiet as the browns once you put soft landing pads on. Still audible, but no longer a loud sharp clack.


I went without the ten keys before, and almost went nuts. At least newer ones come with home and end, and are a standard format, that helps a lot. I use home and end too often to have to hunt or hit a shift or function key to use.
The_Beast 28th December 2011, 01:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie
Will do, same cost as the Razer Black Widow Ultimate Stealth I was going to get but supposedly in stock so we will see.

Is this your first non-rubber keyboard?
Yorkie 28th December 2011, 22:50 Quote
Indeed :)
zoea 30th December 2011, 12:53 Quote
So what do you guys think of this MX Blue Cherry G80? It seems like a good price to me, no n-key rollover and no media keys, but good reviews. Better value perhaps?

I am tempted I admit!
leslie 30th December 2011, 21:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoea
So what do you guys think of this MX Blue Cherry G80? It seems like a good price to me, no n-key rollover and no media keys, but good reviews. Better value perhaps?

I am tempted I admit!

Reviewers state that the build quality isn't very good on those.

Only a few USB models will have more than 2kro, and then only allow 6 on a few select keys, most need ps2 connections to get more than two. Honestly, I think this more of a marketing gimmick as most will never need it or have noticed it lacking despite using usb keyboards in the past, but why limit yourself. I have NKRO and yes, I do occasionally see it as beneficial, but it's not like my gaming would suffer drastically without.


Start here and find the keyboard you want, these aren't cheap, and can last a very long time, so you want to get what you are looking for the first time. Don't buy because it's cheap or you may be buying another or be disappointing. You don't rush into buying most other parts, why rush into the second most touched part of a computer and one that can benefit you a lot?
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=START+HERE+--+The+Geekhack+Mechanical+Keyboard+Guide+-+Includes+Glossary+and+Links
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums