bit-tech.net

Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z Review

Comments 1 to 25 of 34

Reply
Kovoet 18th July 2011, 09:10 Quote
At freggin last. It will be mine, oh yes it will be mine

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Hustler 18th July 2011, 10:40 Quote
What is it with Bit Tech's obsession, yes obsession, with Micro ATX motherboards..?

More than ANY other tech review site i visit, Bit Tech seems to have a constant stiffy for them....
Elton 18th July 2011, 10:50 Quote
M-ATX cases and M-ATX boards are quite useful for LANs.

Plus mod potential.
Jack_Pepsi 18th July 2011, 11:01 Quote
This board installed inside a Fractal Design Arc Mini and I'll be happy. Now I just need to find £375.

Hmmm....
tigertop1 18th July 2011, 11:02 Quote
Pity it is an mATX. And can someone explain why new mobos are not fitted out totally with USB3 and Sata6.?

Since these are backwards compatible it seems odd that manufacturers don't just move on. Or is there a significant price penalty or a major technical reason why they don't
Paulg1971 18th July 2011, 11:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertop1
Pity it is an mATX. And can someone explain why new mobos are not fitted out totally with USB3 and Sata6.?

Since these are backwards compatible it seems odd that manufacturers don't just move on. Or is there a significant price penalty or a major technical reason why they don't

Good point
Roskoken 18th July 2011, 11:28 Quote
This is gettin papd into a corsair 600T White i think.
Baz 18th July 2011, 11:35 Quote
USB3 isn't native to the Z68 chipset; it's added in by an additional controller chip at additional cost. Similarly, the Z68 chipset only supports two SATA (3) 6Gbps ports; the bandwidth isn't there for more. Rather than sell it as six SATA 6Gbps ports and have gimped bandwidth, Intel chose to have two full bandwidth SATA 6Gbps and four SATA (2) 3Gbps ports.

Adding additional SATA 6Gbps ports is only possible via extra chips, for example, JMicron SATA 6Gbps controller, which take up a PCI-E lane, and again cost more.
kenco_uk 18th July 2011, 12:12 Quote
The trouble is that Asus' own p8p67m pro does the business already. It mightn't look as subjectively pretty but it has better overclocked performance.
Aragon Speed 18th July 2011, 12:44 Quote
Quote:
bit-tech wiggle test
I hope you have copyrighted that. You could make a fortune in licensing that out. ^^
WildThing 18th July 2011, 15:00 Quote
Hmm, was thinking about using this board to upgrade to SB. Anyone know if a Titan Fenrir fits this board?

Also bit-tech, did you test the audio at all? Would it be better or as good as an Auzentech xfi Prelude (I need 7.1 support)? I don't see a PCI slot on the Gene-Z...
Venares 18th July 2011, 16:48 Quote
Audio is still a Realtek with a software layer so a dedicated card will still beat it hands down.
I'd I would assume a Fenrir would fit on there as I had no problem getting Noctua C14 on mine.
chrisb2e9 18th July 2011, 17:19 Quote
I'm concerned about getting a mATX board...
Will I have issued getting my 6950 on there?
Its on its way in the mail. May just send it back and pick up a p8p67m pro
The p8p67m pro also had better overclocking performance in games.
WildThing 18th July 2011, 18:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venares
Audio is still a Realtek with a software layer so a dedicated card will still beat it hands down.
I'd I would assume a Fenrir would fit on there as I had no problem getting Noctua C14 on mine.

Cheers, looks like I need a board with a full PCI slot then... Would go with the other cheaper Asus boards but I've heard they don't like the Fenrir.
Material 18th July 2011, 19:03 Quote
The fenrir will fit physically but you'll need to cut the AMD mounting lugs off the crossbar mounting plate to do it, as is the case with most of Asus' P67/Z68 boards.
DeX 18th July 2011, 20:34 Quote
Nice review, thanks. I'm definitely with you guys on the small but mighty mATX machines.

One of the important factors for me when choosing a new motherboard though is SATA performance. This board appears to perform really well, along with the Asus Sabertooth P67. But what's interesting is that the Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 which uses the same Intel Z68 SATA 6Gbps chipset as the Maximus IV Gene-Z doesn't perform anywhere near as well.

I was considering getting the Asus P8P67-M Pro which uses the same chipset as the Sabertooth but given the discrepancy between boards with the same chipsets, I can't be sure that that is the only factor that affects performance. Can anyone explain why the Gigabyte board doesn't stack up to the Maximus IV Gene-Z in SATA speed?
Material 18th July 2011, 21:37 Quote
We've talked about this in the office numerous times and have come to the conclusion that Asus boards just seem to be better than most when it comes to SATA speeds.

It could be down to a number of things like better EFI support, better trace routeing or simply that they know something the others don't.
WildThing 18th July 2011, 21:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Material
The fenrir will fit physically but you'll need to cut the AMD mounting lugs off the crossbar mounting plate to do it, as is the case with most of Asus' P67/Z68 boards.

Cheers Paul, might have to do some modding then.
Whindog 19th July 2011, 03:53 Quote
m-ATX......Meh.....

Barely any room for a sound card. and if you do no chance for SLI/Crossfire.

Such a shame, Is the ROG ATX board version as good??? Does it even exist???

I would think anyone who was picking up a SB system would have one by now so the current range of products wont change much.
Bindibadgi 19th July 2011, 03:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whindog
Such a shame, Is the ROG ATX board version as good??? Does it even exist???

Yes they do!

Maximus IV Extreme
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maximus_IV_Extreme/

and the Extreme-Z with Z68.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX
Can anyone explain why the Gigabyte board doesn't stack up to the Maximus IV Gene-Z in SATA speed?

We're just better at making motherboards B)

;)
slothy89 19th July 2011, 05:30 Quote
ASUS seem to have the upper hand on Intel's 1155 iteration. Very happy with my P8P67 Pro.
If only I had the money, this board would make a killer replacement for my ageing Core2Quad Media/Games PC that sits under the tv.
tigertop1 20th July 2011, 08:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
USB3 isn't native to the Z68 chipset; it's added in by an additional controller chip at additional cost. Similarly, the Z68 chipset only supports two SATA (3) 6Gbps ports; the bandwidth isn't there for more. Rather than sell it as six SATA 6Gbps ports and have gimped bandwidth, Intel chose to have two full bandwidth SATA 6Gbps and four SATA (2) 3Gbps ports.

Adding additional SATA 6Gbps ports is only possible via extra chips, for example, JMicron SATA 6Gbps controller, which take up a PCI-E lane, and again cost more.

OK and I appreciate your response but in the greater scheme of things such oncosts are minimal in a production run when weighed against the advantage of being two steps ahead of the opposition. It is going to happen some time so why not now on a premium board? I already use a PCIe USB3 card . All it does is take up a valued PCIe slot as opposed to having the stuff built in . Same applies to SATA 6
Bindibadgi 20th July 2011, 08:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertop1
OK and I appreciate your response but in the greater scheme of things such oncosts are minimal in a production run when weighed against the advantage of being two steps ahead of the opposition. It is going to happen some time so why not now on a premium board? I already use a PCIe USB3 card . All it does is take up a valued PCIe slot as opposed to having the stuff built in . Same applies to SATA 6

But it's not in the actual chipset design. Intel simply doesn't provide it for any board.
KidMod-Southpaw 20th July 2011, 09:03 Quote
I just need it, too bad we're all not able to afford these nice things. I'll go with the p8p67.
Xir 20th July 2011, 10:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
We're just better at making motherboards B)
;)
Maybe you are... ;)

How did the Sabertooth get so fast all of the sudden?

asus-sabertooth-p67-review/5 Sabertooth P67 Intel P67 SATA 6Gbps 353 MB/sec
asus-p8p67-m-pro-review/5 Sabertooth P67 Intel P67 SATA 6Gbps 353 MB/sec
gigabyte-ga-z68a-d3h-b3-review/5 Sabertooth P67 Intel P67 SATA 6Gbps 541 MB/sec
asus-maximus-iv-gene-z/5 Sabertooth P67 Intel P67 SATA 6Gbps 541 MB/sec
:?
Was the C300 limiting the chipset?
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums