bit-tech.net

EVGA Classified SR-2 Review

Comments 51 to 75 of 82

Reply
NickCPC 17th August 2010, 19:57 Quote
How do you feel this ranks James in terms of enjoyment while reviewing kit? Must be in your top 5 reviews!? Does look epic, if Santa is reading this you know what to get me for Christmas.
DarkFear 17th August 2010, 20:04 Quote
I really need for a rich relative to die and leave me a bunch of monies. :( And quick too.

May I ask why I'm not seeing any triple monitor 4-way GTX480 SLI crysis benches @ 7680x1600? :D
thehippoz 17th August 2010, 20:07 Quote
and it's quality tested by shagmino
Kojak 17th August 2010, 20:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak
I've heard that this board can run with just one cpu, so just incase for example you don't have the cash for the two cpu's right away and want to buy the second later on down the line when you can afford it, it would be interesting to know how it performs with just the one xeon- would it be sluggish or do just as well as a single socket board?!!

It should perform very similarly to a single-socket X58 board as the architecture is 95%+ is the same. If you look at the single-threaded Gimp benchmark on page 5 for example, the results are almost identical.

On that note then buying the SR-2 and an X5650 is just £190.64 more than buying the R3E and an i7-980X with the second xeon coming at a later date spreading the cost sounds more and more appetizing to me! I was planning to put the R3E and an i7-980X in my 'Bismarck' case mod but now I'm having a serious rethink lol!! Cheers pal
Lizard 17th August 2010, 20:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCPC
How do you feel this ranks James in terms of enjoyment while reviewing kit? Must be in your top 5 reviews!? Does look epic, if Santa is reading this you know what to get me for Christmas.

Yes, it certainly was a lot of fun to play with, although there was quite a lot of pain too with learning the BIOS and working around the overheating issues discussed in the article. Still, as a long-term dual-processor enthusiast I definitely want one too.
Lizard 17th August 2010, 20:27 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak
On that note then buying the SR-2 and an X5650 is just £190.64 more than buying the R3E and an i7-980X with the second xeon coming at a later date spreading the cost sounds more and more appetizing to me! I was planning to put the R3E and an i7-980X in my 'Bismarck' case mod but now I'm having a serious rethink lol!! Cheers pal

WAIT!

Sorry, perhaps I misled you. Clock for clock, a single Xeon will perform almost identically to a Core i7. But, the X5650 runs at 2.66GHz, and the i7-980X at 3.33GHz, so unless you overclock the Xeon, the i7-980X will be much faster.

To get comparable performance (without overclocking) you'd need to buy a X5680, which is a lot more expensive than the i7-980X.

Still, a single overclocked X5650 for now, with the option to upgrade later would be uber :)
Kojak 17th August 2010, 20:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak
On that note then buying the SR-2 and an X5650 is just £190.64 more than buying the R3E and an i7-980X with the second xeon coming at a later date spreading the cost sounds more and more appetizing to me! I was planning to put the R3E and an i7-980X in my 'Bismarck' case mod but now I'm having a serious rethink lol!! Cheers pal

WAIT!

Sorry, perhaps I misled you. Clock for clock, a single Xeon will perform almost identically to a Core i7. But, the X5650 runs at 2.66GHz, and the i7-980X at 3.33GHz, so unless you overclock the Xeon, the i7-980X will be much faster.

To get comparable performance (without overclocking) you'd need to buy a X5680, which is a lot more expensive than the i7-980X.

Still, a single overclocked X5650 for now, with the option to upgrade later would be uber :)

I plan on overclocking as much as possible lol with whichever setup being stable with it being used for many hrs at a time. The other question is though, is a quad 120 rad enough to cool 2 overclocked xeons in the same loop?!
Lizard 17th August 2010, 20:54 Quote
Yes, a quad 120mm will copy with two overclocked Xeons fine.

I reckon you'd need to add another rad if you plan on watercooling the SR-2 and/or any graphics cards too though.
HourBeforeDawn 17th August 2010, 21:16 Quote
This is pointless for gaming since as shown in the past games dont take advantage of that many cores. So no matter how you spin this, it isnt great for gaming so its more a sever, folding and rendering rig then it ever would be for gaming,
godsmack_dmx 17th August 2010, 21:27 Quote
It's meaningless.

If you want a gaming PC you won't buy it, and if you own a company you won't buy it.
Cthippo 17th August 2010, 21:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
... as well as hopefully do a tour of the factory and laser cutter too!

"No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die"

Seriously though, Bindi, don't stick your, er, finger in the laser cutter.
SuicideNeil 17th August 2010, 21:48 Quote
But does it do the ironing & make cups of tea?....
Lizard 17th August 2010, 21:58 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideNeil
But does it do the ironing & make cups of tea?....

It's certainly hot enough too
crazyceo 17th August 2010, 22:07 Quote
Sorry but I have to explain my earlier post.

It's like going to a public toilet and peeing next to a chap 2 foot taller than you. This board "potentially" can own all in a hell of alot of areas no other decent MB can. Yes it's pricey along with the rest of the components but you know if you had the money, you would do it.

Right, I'm off to go through my spam emails for those penis enlarger pills!
Tattysnuc 17th August 2010, 23:16 Quote
http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=58848

for the link to the cases that are compatible
Dr. Strangelove 18th August 2010, 00:02 Quote
This brings back sweet memories of my old MSI board with dual PIII 933's, had that for ages
Lehmann 18th August 2010, 00:06 Quote
putting in 4 gpu's for folding in a 24 threat rig is a waste. those gpu's are stealing enough cpu time to kill most of the points they gain.
Lizard 18th August 2010, 00:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehmann
putting in 4 gpu's for folding in a 24 threat rig is a waste. those gpu's are stealing enough cpu time to kill most of the points they gain.

If you read my earlier comment you'll see that this is not the case. Adding the GPUs does increase the total ppd, versus solely folding on the CPU cores.
dansus 18th August 2010, 01:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansus
x264 should scale across both cpu's near 100%. Try with the latest build and see if you get better results, Handbrake could be using an older version.

That's true :) Unfortunately we're kind of limited to using an older version at the moment to maintain compatability with older reviews. We do have a new build of the benchmarks in the works, it's just not quite ready yet for release.

Not much point reviewing a multi core, multi cpu board with an old version in that case. x264 was heavily revised for Nehalem because the old one had issues.

Why not just forget Handbrake, its junk anyway and will always be outdated. Make a .bat file and let it rip, then you know your getting the core speed from x264 without distractions. (ie filters)
mikkig 18th August 2010, 01:24 Quote
I think it's pretty amazing that for 2.5k + another 1/1.5k for case, psu and other parts you can essentially have a super computer on your desk. If you were a science start-up or small animation studio the bang for buck seems incredible.
dansus 18th August 2010, 01:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard


That's true :) Unfortunately we're kind of limited to using an older version at the moment to maintain compatability with older reviews. We do have a new build of the benchmarks in the works, it's just not quite ready yet for release.

Which reminds me, if Handbrake is using any filters in its script that are not multi-core enabled, it will always run at the lowest common denominator no matter which version of x264 your running.

Now we are getting into the realms of 12+ cores, think its time to come up with an effective test.
Lizard 18th August 2010, 02:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansus
Now we are getting into the realms of 12+ cores, think its time to come up with an effective test.

It's on the to do list :)

Unfortunately, coming up with an application that meets all of our criteria is pretty hard (scriptable, distributable, consistent results, real-world app that enthusiasts have heard of and use).

If you, or anybody else has any suggestions, I'm more than willing to investigate them. After all, we want the benchmark results to be meaningful to you guys.
dansus 18th August 2010, 03:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard


Unfortunately, coming up with an application that meets all of our criteria is pretty hard (scriptable, distributable, consistent results, real-world app that enthusiasts have heard of and use).

If you, or anybody else has any suggestions, I'm more than willing to investigate them. After all, we want the benchmark results to be meaningful to you guys.


x264 HD Benchmark is a long established metric and is distributable with consistent results. ;)

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=520&pgno=0
Kojak 18th August 2010, 04:26 Quote
Ha makes me laugh how some people always try to knock what they don't have, its a great board- prob the best you can get! If you can afford it get it, if not get an asus... simple. You wouldn't turn round to someone who drives a porsche or ferrari an say, your car is pointless, why use one of those as a form of tansport when you can get a much more sensible car like my fiat panda lol!!! An the reason why you wouldn't... beause you'd look like a foooool.
DarkFear 18th August 2010, 11:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsmack_dmx
It's meaningless.

If you want a gaming PC you won't buy it, and if you own a company you won't buy it.

That's like saying you wouldn't hire a prostitute if you're happily married :)

It does happen.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums