bit-tech.net

EVGA Classified SR-2 Review

Comments 26 to 50 of 82

Reply
ChrisP 17th August 2010, 13:56 Quote
EDIT: First batch of stock is due on the 20 th August.
dansus 17th August 2010, 13:59 Quote
x264 should scale across both cpu's near 100%. Try with the latest build and see if you get better results, Handbrake could be using an older version.
BRAWL 17th August 2010, 14:00 Quote
I have but one statement to make to this insanity..

"By the power of Greyskull"

>.<

Nice to see manufacturers doing something different for a change!
Lizard 17th August 2010, 14:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansus
x264 should scale across both cpu's near 100%. Try with the latest build and see if you get better results, Handbrake could be using an older version.

That's true :) Unfortunately we're kind of limited to using an older version at the moment to maintain compatability with older reviews. We do have a new build of the benchmarks in the works, it's just not quite ready yet for release.
LightningPete 17th August 2010, 14:33 Quote
Does this finally mean i can play Crysis and ARMA2 at max/max viewdistance? xD
SPNKR 17th August 2010, 14:56 Quote
Man, I can only imagine what a fully waterblocked system with 3 gtx 480's would look like...prolly like spaghetti, only really tasty spaghetti.

SPNKR
chimaera 17th August 2010, 15:32 Quote
SPNKR - have a look on the MaximumPC Dream PC - they used this board along with 3 watercooled 480's and 3 radiators for the recent build (Cpu - Radiator - CPU - Radiator - Videocards - Radiator was the loop).

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/home/dream_machine_2010

Personally some of the choices in the buiild were a bit odd if you ask me - particularly the sound system - but at least you'll get an idea what the cooling loop looks like :)
cdb 17th August 2010, 16:10 Quote
Couple of questions on the folding side.

Were all the ppds done with the 4 gpus and cpus all folding together?

Did you try folding on just the cpus? I've seen someone say it's not worth gpu folding on the sr2 as you have to give them a core or 2 to work with and that takes alot of points away from the cpu bigadv at those time frames. They were getting 130K just on the cpus. Any chance you could try folding with say just a 240gt fitted for graphics and fold only on the overclocked cpus to see if 130K is possible and what power this then uses, I'm guessing a good 450W less.
Hakuren 17th August 2010, 16:18 Quote
While interesting as a curiosity, sadly this MB is completely pointless investment.

1. First of all, useless as a server board. You have no hardware RAID functions, only 8 SATA ports, no SAS, which means you need to invest much more money to buy add-on cards. This is not an issue with many server/workstation dual-CPU boards. A lot of them comes with hardware RAID from major brands (mostly LSI/Intel). So you have out of the box connectivity for 12-15 HDDs at the same price point.

2. Network cards are poor Realteks. Forgive me, but for this kind of MB they should bolt 2 Intel NICs. I wouldn't pay so much cash to buy MB which is not as good as it could be - it is after all supposedly best of all motherboards. Same with sound card. For an enthusiast using some atrocious AC'97/HD Audio (by Realtek) is complete no-go.

3. Heat. In traditional EVGA style cooling of NB/SB is atrocious. So no surprise, you need to invest even more money to replace that rubbish.

4. Compatibility issues. You need to buy Mountain Mods case to use this motherboard. And one thing straight I'm owner of MM cases so I know few things about them. Importing this stuff from US to Europe will cost you pretty much as much as case itself (or more depending on location and options). To mount/use HPTX comfortably you need Extended case like UFO or Ascension. Only someone who is completely mad will squeeze this behemoth into 18" cube. You need 24" length end of story. For such big case you need to spend between ~450 and 630 USD (brushed alu extended UFO to anodized black extended Ascension). Then S&H+customs+VAT. And you end with ~1000+ USD purchase. Make no mistake, MM cases are gorgeous, simple as that.

5. Hmm how many real, every day applications/games using all cores on your standard i7? Ok, few at most. Hell maybe even 50. And how many of those applications is capable to recognize 2 CPUs and use both of them (not to mention all cores). Answer is a number very much close to 0.

So to sum this up a bit. If you want ultimate Folding machine (and you own personal anti-matter power station) / enjoying showing off at LAN parties / or you have more money than sense but know absolutely nothing about PCs then SR-2 is for you. For everyday use you must be drunk and mad to buy SR-2. Buy instead gorgeous MM case and some nice MB + plenty of modding bits for cash you saved from not investing into SR-2 solution.
Omnituens 17th August 2010, 16:19 Quote
Out of interest - which cases can fit this without being modded in any way?
Teelzebub 17th August 2010, 16:24 Quote
Evga make one though not on sale yet or mountain mods do one.
bw67958 17th August 2010, 16:28 Quote
Wonder what the gaming figures would look like with 4 x Sapphire toxic cards in it??????
Teelzebub 17th August 2010, 16:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw67958
Wonder what the gaming figures would look like with 4 x Sapphire toxic cards in it??????

Or 4 x GTX480 I keep getting really tempted myself with that mobo.
Bindibadgi 17th August 2010, 17:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuren
While interesting as a curiosity, sadly this MB is completely pointless investment.

1. First of all, useless as a server board. You have no hardware RAID functions, only 8 SATA ports, no SAS, which means you need to invest much more money to buy add-on cards. This is not an issue with many server/workstation dual-CPU boards. A lot of them comes with hardware RAID from major brands (mostly LSI/Intel). So you have out of the box connectivity for 12-15 HDDs at the same price point.

2. Network cards are poor Realteks. Forgive me, but for this kind of MB they should bolt 2 Intel NICs. I wouldn't pay so much cash to buy MB which is not as good as it could be - it is after all supposedly best of all motherboards. Same with sound card. For an enthusiast using some atrocious AC'97/HD Audio (by Realtek) is complete no-go.

3. Heat. In traditional EVGA style cooling of NB/SB is atrocious. So no surprise, you need to invest even more money to replace that rubbish.

4. Compatibility issues. You need to buy Mountain Mods case to use this motherboard. And one thing straight I'm owner of MM cases so I know few things about them. Importing this stuff from US to Europe will cost you pretty much as much as case itself (or more depending on location and options). To mount/use HPTX comfortably you need Extended case like UFO or Ascension. Only someone who is completely mad will squeeze this behemoth into 18" cube. You need 24" length end of story. For such big case you need to spend between ~450 and 630 USD (brushed alu extended UFO to anodized black extended Ascension). Then S&H+customs+VAT. And you end with ~1000+ USD purchase. Make no mistake, MM cases are gorgeous, simple as that.

5. Hmm how many real, every day applications/games using all cores on your standard i7? Ok, few at most. Hell maybe even 50. And how many of those applications is capable to recognize 2 CPUs and use both of them (not to mention all cores). Answer is a number very much close to 0.

So to sum this up a bit. If you want ultimate Folding machine (and you own personal anti-matter power station) / enjoying showing off at LAN parties / or you have more money than sense but know absolutely nothing about PCs then SR-2 is for you. For everyday use you must be drunk and mad to buy SR-2. Buy instead gorgeous MM case and some nice MB + plenty of modding bits for cash you saved from not investing into SR-2 solution.

1. OK it doesn't have onboard RAID but you've got 7 PCI-E slots to use up. ;) Plus, if you're prepared to drop several thousand on quality CPUs to actually use the overclocking, dropping in a RAID card is small change.

2. Realtek HD Audio is OK. It suffices - many people use it. If all you need is something to make a bit of sound, then it's more than enough. I agree w/ Realtek NICs onboard but again - PCI-E slots. Some people don't care for network performance though - the same people who probably want to overclock a dual-socket system: they don't want it as a server to sit in a rack and remote access it, they want to use it: hands on.

4. Lian Li will launch a case later this week that supports EVGA's motherboard and EVGA has its own Cooler Master OEM'd one to pair with it. Either that or leave it on the open-bench for benchmarketeers.

5. Is completely unsubstantiated. It's not an everybody board - it's a workstation board with a niche market. EVGA claims it's seen considerable interest from OEMs who sell workstation PCs (their words) so that's why they committed to the board in the first place. Programs will only get more threaded as time goes on too.

For someone who hasn't even used the board (?) you're remarkably negative about it all :p You sound like you've come here to upsell people into niche MM cases, rather than a niche motherboard ;):p
Teelzebub 17th August 2010, 17:23 Quote
Bindi will bit-tech be doing a review on that Lian-li case??
Bindibadgi 17th August 2010, 17:42 Quote
I'm heading to their factory on Thursday to (exclusively ho-ho-ho, or so I'm told) cover the launch and fitting of the SR-2, as well as hopefully do a tour of the factory and laser cutter too! There's a thread in hardware for our community (you!) to voice questions to Lian directly :)
Lizard 17th August 2010, 17:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
Couple of questions on the folding side. Were all the ppds done with the 4 gpus and cpus all folding together?

Yes, the ppd on the graphs is from both CPUs and all four graphics cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
Did you try folding on just the cpus? I've seen someone say it's not worth gpu folding on the sr2 as you have to give them a core or 2 to work with and that takes alot of points away from the cpu bigadv at those time frames. They were getting 130K just on the cpus. Any chance you could try folding with say just a 240gt fitted for graphics and fold only on the overclocked cpus to see if 130K is possible and what power this then uses, I'm guessing a good 450W less.

Yes, I did try with only the CPUs folding, with both the A3 and bigadv clients. In the end though, the ppd was so much higher with everything folding together, and I needed to prove whether the board can handle the load (I/O, power and heat), I only graphed the total ppd.

However, from my notepad:

CPUs at 2.66GHz running one bigadv client (=50k ppd ) + 4 graphics cards (=40k ppd), total 90k ppd @ 862W
CPUs at 2.66GHz running one bigadv client (=67k ppd), total 67k ppd @ 537W

So, it looks like folding with the GPUs drops about 17k ppd from the CPU client, but adds 40k ppd, a net gain of 23k ppd.

Using some pretty crude maths, I'd therefore guestimate that the overclocked X5650s would yield about 101k ppd and the overclocked X5680s about 110k ppd.
cdb 17th August 2010, 17:58 Quote
Were the 4x460s still fitted to the sr-2 on the 67kppd @ 537w run?

Did you try overclocked cpus without gpus or just standard clock cpu?
Lizard 17th August 2010, 18:03 Quote
Fitted, but not folding, so you could subtract roughly 150-200W from this figure to bring it more into line with the Prime95 power figures on page 11.
Phil Rhodes 17th August 2010, 18:25 Quote
I burn. I pine.
Bloody_Pete 17th August 2010, 18:34 Quote
One of my best mates has just become an animator, now can I convince him to get this i wonder...

I love stuff like this, gear thats on the bleeding edge of R&D, if I could afford it I'd get one.
Pookeyhead 17th August 2010, 18:49 Quote
Want! Want badly! May have new job soon.. God help me!
HandMadeAndroid 17th August 2010, 19:09 Quote
In a word 'want'. This with some 480s and octane render would make a fine graphics work station.
Phalanx 17th August 2010, 19:09 Quote
It's like some sort of omen! Today I find out I have a tax rebate on the way for almost a grand! I feel a folding rig coming on!
cgthomas 17th August 2010, 19:39 Quote
WHAAATTTT, GIMME THAT!!!!
One day I'll convince myself that I need this watercooled bundle.....except my mind doesn't want to work with me right now.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums