bit-tech.net

EVGA X58 SLI Micro Motherboard Review

Comments 1 to 20 of 20

Reply
feathers 26th April 2010, 09:30 Quote
This does seem to be a familiar pattern for EVGA boards. Nice looking designs, poor performance.
mi1ez 26th April 2010, 09:46 Quote
while that HS on the NB looks nice, with airflow going front to rear, surely that giant fin prevents the majority of air reaching the majority of the HS...
borandi 26th April 2010, 09:49 Quote
The board is probably best combined with the Corsair H50 rather than air coolers.
SchizoFrog 26th April 2010, 11:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by borandi
The board is probably best combined with the Corsair H50 rather than air coolers.

This board is probably best combined with stock shelves in warehouses rather than in a PC case at all.
Ph4ZeD 26th April 2010, 11:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
This board is probably best combined with stock shelves in warehouses rather than in a PC case at all.

I lol'ed.
500mph 26th April 2010, 11:37 Quote
Bit finally got an EVGA board? And it is this one? Are there more on the way? Oh well. Good review, shame it wasn't up to par.
Lizard 26th April 2010, 11:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mph
Bit finally got an EVGA board? And it is this one? Are there more on the way? Oh well. Good review, shame it wasn't up to par.

Yes - EVGA has a new marketing bod and so we'll be covering a lot more of its products in the future.
Farfalho 26th April 2010, 13:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by borandi
The board is probably best combined with the Corsair H50 rather than air coolers.

This board is probably best combined with stock shelves in warehouses rather than in a PC case at all.

rep for that =P

That board had ultimately failed, the X58 HS and the 8pin EPS are poorly designed. By the way, the poor performance is primarly due to Turbo Boost only?
dec 26th April 2010, 14:39 Quote
At least it looks good.
Lizard 26th April 2010, 15:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfalho
That board had ultimately failed, the X58 HS and the 8pin EPS are poorly designed. By the way, the poor performance is primarly due to Turbo Boost only?

Primarily yes, as the SATA controller for example is very fast.
rickysio 26th April 2010, 16:41 Quote
I don't really see the point of beautifying the heck out of a mother board - I mean, it's going to be in a case, and unless you look at the innards of your case instead of using it the whole day... Pointless?

Then again, I'm the guy who hates bling (my case has 0 windows + 0 unnecessary LED's), which most other gamers seem to adore, so what applies to me most probably doesn't apply to the rest.
rockyourazz 26th April 2010, 17:30 Quote
I found the review interesting - but if you found out that the turbo was disabled why didn't you just turn it on and test the scores at a common ground ?

I have seen some reviews for this board (all favorable - maybe they turned turbo on...) and they were way back in july 2009 and I wonder why such a late and harsh review about a year old (almost) motherboard?

Other than that I still like you bit-tech ;)
rockyourazz 26th April 2010, 17:35 Quote
Oh... and another thing... How do you have scores for the Rampage III Extreme and yet no review of it ? I keep checking every couple of hours for weeks and still no sign of a review... please release the full review... I have to decide between the ASUS Rampage III and the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R....

....still liking you here guys :P
Lizard 26th April 2010, 17:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyourazz
turbo was disabled why didn't you just turn it on

Because then we wouldn't be testing how EVGA has decided to configure it. We test all products in their 'out of the box' config as that's the fairest and rewards those manufacturers who put extra effort into their products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyourazz
Oh... and another thing... How do you have scores for the Rampage III Extreme and yet no review of it ?

Because we don't want to publish tons of motherboards reviews in one day/one week and flood the site with lots of similar content. We do have reviews of both those boards due up in the near future though.
M7ck 26th April 2010, 18:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
Because then we wouldn't be testing how EVGA has decided to configure it. We test all products in their 'out of the box' config as that's the fairest and rewards those manufacturers who put extra effort into their products.

Yeah this is 100% the best way to review things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
Because we don't want to publish tons of motherboards reviews in one day/one week and flood the site with lots of similar content. We do have reviews of both those boards due up in the near future though.

I look forward to seeing the Rampage III review, I dont suppose you guys ran a GTX480 Tri-Sli on it?
Lizard 26th April 2010, 18:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by M7ck
I look forward to seeing the Rampage III review, I dont suppose you guys ran a GTX480 Tri-Sli on it?

Nope - there aren't enough GTX 480s in the country to do 3-way SLI with :)
M7ck 26th April 2010, 18:36 Quote
I figured as much, im just curious to see the benchmarks a 980x, Rampage 3 and Tri-Sli fermi would produce. A true money no object machine.
rockyourazz 27th April 2010, 01:38 Quote
Ohhh...... I see.... point taken about the stock settings :)

.... sorry if I came through as critical.... it's just that this is the first really negative review I have read about this motherboard (or any eVGA product for that matter - and no I don't and never have owned any eVGA stuff...not too available where I live...) and it seemed odd to me.... but if this is the performance I would get if I buy that MB (I didn't plan to anyway...) and plug it in - your warning was called for and is appreciated... It's hard for me to understand why the other reviewers went so soft on this MB..... oh well....

Thank you for the courteous reply... have a great day...
HighOctane 1st May 2010, 16:10 Quote
eVGA gear is oversold with class A marketing imho, they dont have the experience and capability of Asus and Gigabyte. Having said that its good to have healthy competition and they are trying new things. The Nehalem EP board for eg. so top mrks for that.

Lizard; don't think you should talk about MSI X58M any more, afaik its no longer made. In other words for mATX the Asus RII Gene is now the only board in town.

...and on the Turbo mode point i know you guys are religous about not changing manufacturers default settings but we are overclockers and I think thats what evga are aiming this at. They dont expect you to be using default settings they expect you to set it up right. Even the lamest of OCers would turn on Turbo with a locked CPU so I think thats a given! A group test with different config settings is about as meaningful as top gear comparing top speeds of a ferrari in first gear with a ford in fourth because thats the gear it was in when it rocked up at the test track.
awdrpepper 16th May 2010, 06:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
Because then we wouldn't be testing how EVGA has decided to configure it. We test all products in their 'out of the box' config as that's the fairest and rewards those manufacturers who put extra effort into their products.

So do you mean to say that you don't even update the BIOS before reviewing boards? If that is the case this has got to be one of the most pointless reviews going around at the moment.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums