bit-tech.net

Asus Striker II Formula

Comments 1 to 25 of 35

Reply
rhuitron 25th January 2008, 10:06 Quote
I Really Want one now!
FaSMaN 25th January 2008, 10:12 Quote
I just hope that this board doesnt end up like the striker extreme did,asus seemed to have stoped further development for the striker extreme 1 even though the current bios is extremely ustable and have tuns of stability related problems...
Bindibadgi 25th January 2008, 10:17 Quote
We never really had stability problems with the original Striker - Tim has used the original in every high end graphics review for the last year. True, we've been through at least 3 of them in that time but mostly because we had engineering samples.
FaSMaN 25th January 2008, 10:43 Quote
The things that I experience the most is fsb holes(some fsb setting ranges just dont post,even though there low enough and stable on the same processor on a different board),and the fact that with some brands of memory you cant have more than 2x 1gb matched paires simply becouse if you had more it causes instability and wont allow you to overclock,or simply wont post :( .

But I have to admit Im a bit baised against the striker extreme 1 simply becouse my first striker lasted less than a day and afterwards failed to post,had to wait two weeks for a replacment,and went trough 3 different ram manufacturers to get the correct ram for the board,ended up with kingston(ocz and corsor,arent easily accisible in south africa)

I guess the board isnt that bad if you have the correct setup....


Edit: Remove some typos
Naberius 25th January 2008, 10:44 Quote
Its a shame you can't hook this board upto your watercooling, but other than that it looks promising, much rather have the optionof 3 8800's than 4 ATI cards.
Bindibadgi 25th January 2008, 10:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaSMaN
The things that I experience the most is fsb holes(some fsb setting ranges just dont post,even though there low enough and stable on the same processor on a different board),and the fact that with some brands of memory you cant have more than 2x 1gb matched paires simply becouse if you had more it causes instability and wont allow you to overclock,or simply wont post :( .

But I have to admit Im a bit baised against the striker extreme 1 simply becouse my first striker lasted less than a day and afterwards failed to post,had to wait two weeks for a replacment,and went trough 3 different ram manufacturers to get the correct ram for the board,ended up with kingston(osz and cursor,arent easily accisible in south africa)

I guess the board isnt that bad if you have the correct setup....

Well I'm sure our resident memory expert, Ryan Leng, will testify how much the brand of memory is also key to stability as much as the BIOS. The Striker II does seem a little picky as well in this regard. As for FSB holes - that's on every board and you have to work around them unfortunately. Some boards offer the option to adjust the speed of the northbridge manually but mostly this isn't the case.
FaSMaN 25th January 2008, 11:28 Quote
I guess it then just biols down to personal preferance :P
Bindibadgi 25th January 2008, 11:51 Quote
:) Well without a doubt the general life-span of the nForce 680i SLI was pretty crap - no matter who you bought it from. So far I've not heard the same about the 780i thankfully.
samkiller42 25th January 2008, 12:29 Quote
I've not had any problems with either of my 680i boards, one of which is the EVGA, and the other is the Striker Extreme, which then actually surprises me, the Extreme supplied temp probes for the board, seems odd how Asus didn't with the S2F.
This board does look good on the outside, maybe for those who want SLI and didn't go to NF6 can go straight to this, however its still early days for NF7 and i suppose we should wait and see whats comming around the corner.

Sam
mrb_no1 25th January 2008, 12:52 Quote
I couldnt afford the striker at my time of upgrade, so i got the p5n32-e sli, and am happy with it, overclocked nicely after the first board i received failed to post after its first boot, but this new striker does nothing to make me want to upgrade to it, strikes me as a space filler to use the 780i that might appeal to alienware and such for offering the 'most extreme' systems to date...i'd imagine it to be a relatively cheap design move for asus too, so win win for them. There's my 10 C's worth.

Oh Rich, you mentioned new chipsets coming out, i like to think i follow things on bit-tech news but i must have missed something, what are we expecting, from whom and when might we be expecting it? :) cheers

peace
marscay 25th January 2008, 12:59 Quote
memory manufacturers must be having a hard time sleeping with this board just being released.

will this board be stick killer v2? :)
Tim S 25th January 2008, 13:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb_no1
I couldnt afford the striker at my time of upgrade, so i got the p5n32-e sli, and am happy with it, overclocked nicely after the first board i received failed to post after its first boot, but this new striker does nothing to make me want to upgrade to it, strikes me as a space filler to use the 780i that might appeal to alienware and such for offering the 'most extreme' systems to date...i'd imagine it to be a relatively cheap design move for asus too, so win win for them. There's my 10 C's worth.

Oh Rich, you mentioned new chipsets coming out, i like to think i follow things on bit-tech news but i must have missed something, what are we expecting, from whom and when might we be expecting it? :) cheers

peace

Check the two Hybrid SLI articles out - there's a bunch of info in there about new chipsets supporting SLI on Intel platforms.
[USRF]Obiwan 25th January 2008, 13:40 Quote
I'm not impressed. Looks the same as the old one, does the same things as the old one, costs the same as the old one, gets hot(ter) like the old one.

So whats actualy new besided a chipset number..
widmod 25th January 2008, 16:28 Quote
it looks nice
shame that it lacks e-sata
no triple-sli testing atm?
i wish i could see a picture of the sound board
looks like watercooling could be conectet to the central (heatsink) block?
zr_ox 25th January 2008, 16:40 Quote
Quote:
just be wary of what's coming out in the next few months: you won't be waiting another year for a chipset update like before.

hint hint, nudge nudge.....So what exactly should we be waiting on (without breaking any NDA's).

As for water cooling, it will just be a matter of time before someone builds a monster block for it.
Bindibadgi 25th January 2008, 17:58 Quote
http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/2008/01/asus_striker_ii_formula/fx-3.jpg http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/2008/01/asus_striker_ii_formula/lcd-3.jpg

Sorry, I completely forgot - I ran out of space for a few pictures.

We are obviously under NDA for a few bits but there's no point in talking since we don't have hardware either. What we can say about future products is in Tim's Hybrid SLI article.
Sparrowhawk 25th January 2008, 21:27 Quote
http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/2008/01/asus_striker_ii_formula/reario.jpg

Is it a photography/optical illusion, or is that board considerably warped in that picture?
Tim S 25th January 2008, 21:30 Quote
it's under tension because the heatsink is installed (was taken while I was in the middle of using the board for some graphics testing)
Sparrowhawk 25th January 2008, 21:38 Quote
Oh, okay. I don't believe I've ever seen one quite like that before. But that heatsink, that does give it quite a bit of flair.
ryanjleng 25th January 2008, 22:37 Quote
A really nice read. thanks.

now, only if they can make it cooler.
Nature 26th January 2008, 08:45 Quote
Does it support a native 1600 fsb>>?
rt182 26th January 2008, 15:19 Quote
hmmm there is no LCD post listed in the box contents does this mean they have tossed it???? in the other reviews of this board it states there is a LCD poster included and on the ASUS website
Wwhat 26th January 2008, 21:29 Quote
You know my old asus nforce2 motherboard also had the temperature probe connector, seems weird how they hang on to that so long without supplying a probe, or even instructions as to how to make your own.

I also have a q., I hear intel chipset boards often have a very high precision timer chip, do any nvidia chipset board have that?

@rt182 look at the left out pictures in the comment above, there you'll see the LCD
Trinityfitness 27th January 2008, 04:52 Quote
You said That you can't use water cooling with the Striker II
Why is that ?

I am thinking of getting this MOBO
Woodstock 27th January 2008, 05:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinityfitness
You said That you can't use water cooling with the Striker II
Why is that ?

I am thinking of getting this MOBO

unlike some of the recent motherboards, it doesnt come pre-fitted with a northbridge waterblock, doesnt stop you from buying one thou, at the expense of the heatpipes
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums