Samsung SyncMaster XL30 LED Backlit LCD

Mankz 18th August 2008, 10:36 Quote
I'd rather have 2x Dell 3008's please.

K thanks.
RotoSequence 18th August 2008, 11:22 Quote
Sounds like fun. Call me back when they decide to add extra connection options and a faster switching panel. Once they have that combination, they will have the must have product.
Goty 18th August 2008, 11:47 Quote
The inclusion of the X-Rite calibrator and software is kind of cool, but I've had trouble getting mine to finish the calibration process in Vista.
Phil Rhodes 18th August 2008, 13:15 Quote
123 percent of the NTSC colour gamut

Which isn't very much, especially in the green, because NTSC (or more to the point ITU Rec. 601) isn't very much to start with. I wish they'd give us a bit more.

But in any case, point of order - sRGB primaries are supposed to be Rec. 709, not 601, so it's pretty meaningless to compare it to NTSC.

P
Darth Joules 20th August 2008, 12:19 Quote
Originally Posted by Phil Rhodes

This isn't a High Definition screen so its a standard definition monitor, thus Rec. 601.

However I agree, NTSC percentages are meaningless too me. I would have rather Samsung had quoted specs in sRGB and Adobe RGB gamut percentages, both which the XL30 supports. Mind you it does have a 14-bit LUT. A bit concerned by the evident inverse ghosting and whether the overdrive is really performing at 6ms and not something a bit higher like some recent top end NEC monitors have (spec'd as 6ms, but behaved more like 8ms). So I wonder what's its true On/Off responce time? 12ms probably?

Perhaps BeHardware.com will get their hands one of these and give a good "test" thrashing. Would love to see it put up against the Eizo ColorEdge CG301W which has very similar specs though with a CCFL lit panel, HD support, and 12-bit LUT, but £400 more expensive than the XL30. I would like to know how sturdy the stand is and the level of build quality of the XL30 too? Last thing I'd want is one of these getting all wobbly on its stand. Eizo build quality is top notch and their UK support is phenominal; how's being leased an identical replacement monitor for free whilst yours is being repaired? ;) Doubt Samsung will ever offer that level of service.

And is the Eye-One Display profiling device a rebranded Display LT or Display 2 by chance? Samsung could have ditched it and shaved £100 off the price tag.
Phil Rhodes 20th August 2008, 16:57 Quote

It's a 30 inch, 2k by 1.5k display and it's standard def?

I thought the default setup for computer monitors was always supposed to be sRGB, ergo 709 primaries with a different gamma ramp.
Neoki 20th August 2008, 17:28 Quote
any good for gaming?
Amon 22nd August 2008, 01:22 Quote
what the fukk....
Tandens 27th September 2009, 09:17 Quote
Pretty soon, I'm going to be buying either the Samsung XL30 or NEC 3090WQXi.

Since bit-tech has reviewed both of these monitors, I was wondering if you could provide some invaluable insight.

Price aside, which would you recommend for someone that mostly does photo editing with occasional gaming (with extensive document reading/general things). For me, colour accuracy and viewing angles are most important.

In particular, how does the XL30 compare to the 3090WXQi when viewing from angles "off centre"? Which monitor retains more of the colour and contrast accuracy when viewed from the side?

Really hope you can respond, as I'm about to put down quite a chunk of change. Many thanks!!