bit-tech.net

Sony Ericsson Xperia Play Preview

Comments 1 to 25 of 26

Reply
memeroot 22nd February 2011, 12:02 Quote
both this and the NGA seem to have missed the mark about as much as the ps3
IanW 22nd February 2011, 12:13 Quote
Not on my want list after the way Sony have treated GeoHot.
GuilleAcoustic 22nd February 2011, 12:40 Quote
but the main question is : Can it play Crysis ? :-P
thefriscokid 22nd February 2011, 13:04 Quote
Having a single core is so like 2010 ;)
megadriveguy 22nd February 2011, 13:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic
but the main question is : Can it play Crysis ? :-P

NO
JIMBOB93JONNY 22nd February 2011, 13:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefriscokid
Having a single core is so like 2010 ;)

but if you think about it the sony psp is a 333mhz single core and this is three times the power especially as its in a phone
sandys 22nd February 2011, 13:35 Quote
This is what the PSPGo should have been, the form factor looks right, the hardware is a bit old I suppose but thats never hurt Nintendo, keeping the specs at this level at least gives developers a platform that is likely to work for the wider market after all the Playstation App store is not juts for this device but all certified Android devices so it has the potential to access a broader market than the Xperia Play itself.

As to what handset guys will have to do to get certification who knows but as phone gaming platforms have been working with on screen controls for a while I would assume that the Playstation appstore games don't have to have the hard button access but also can use on screen controllers, some of the game screen shots from Xperia Play previews show this.

What this could mean for Android is that there is finally a stable gaming platform, if you phone is Playstation certified the games will work which is one of the biggest problems on andriod at the moment because of the diverse hardware/software setup you can't get a consistant platform and not all devices can run all bits of software or they don't work as expected.

Sony could be the guys to fix the Android gaming market!

Of course in 2-3 years the NGP will be able to work in this sort of form factor too, so there will likely be an upgrade path when your 2 year contract is up :)
wst 22nd February 2011, 14:53 Quote
It'll either work really well and be a massive success and revolutionise Android gaming.


Or it'll be like the N-Gage.
runadumb 22nd February 2011, 14:55 Quote
I was so hyped by the idea of this phone when it was first leaked...holy crap, it was leaked last summer!
Being a high-end phone junkie this phone fails for me on so many levels. The CPU/GPU, the shockingly low memory, the current pre-order SIM-free price (£520 are they insane?), the small battery, the list goes on.

However, damn it if I don't still want one. I sure as hell wouldn't pay £400+ for one and I'm not tying myself to an 18 month contract but I just love the idea. Sure maybe it's to thick and heavy for an 'everday' phone (no idea, never held one) but just the convenience of having such easy access to a solid gaming experience appeals to me. Hell if only for snes, megadrive etc. Problem with that though is the moment the N64 and dreamcast emulators come out and run like crap I will be kicking myself again.

Maybe version 2 will be a must buy for me but until then I might just get a 'real' smartphone and buy a gamepad for it. So much more powerful devices coming this summer, I think I should wait.
Realistically I think the 'ideal' future is a fantastic detachable gamepad anyway, that works on many different phones. We just need someone like SE to lead the way. No offense to the gamegripper or Icontrolpad.
Th3Maverick 22nd February 2011, 14:57 Quote
Yeah, but nintendo has never pissed in the face of their long-term customers...in fact, they've pointedly catered to them through the years, at what I'm assuming is considerable engineering cost for a miniscule proportion of their customer base (allowing you to play original gameboy games on the DS...how many 12 year olds playing their DS in their mom's minivans have even SEEN an original GB game?)

Sony's not fixing the Android gaming market, they're breaking it further by introducing single-platform games, not encouraging quality cross-device titles. nVidia, if they play the Tegra Store (sic) correctly, could offer a reasonable alternative because it's not tied to a single device and should be vetted by nVidia, but I'm having trouble putting my faith even in Big Green. :/ Maybe I'm just being pessimistic this morning, though.

I gotta go with the masses on this and say it's yet another misstep by Sony. Bad Sony! Bad!
javaman 22nd February 2011, 16:19 Quote
Its a sony phone that's why it will fail. Sony release phones and forget about them before moving on to the next big thing. Look at the x10, it was outdated on release just like this will be! Since the store is an app I can see them upgrading this year on year just attaching the keyboard to a new device with the next processor, put a skin on what ever version of android was big a year ago, make a half assed promise about upgrades which will never come and repeat.
Toploaded 22nd February 2011, 17:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by memeroot
both this and the NGA seem to have missed the mark about as much as the ps3

PS3 didn't really miss the mark, took a while to get going but has pretty much caught up with the 360 in market share, with around 47 million PS3s sold compared to 50 million 360's, might even overtake in the next few years.

I got high hopes for the NGP, I doubt it will be a run away success but if it hangs on like the PSP did I'll be happy enough and in an age where console hardware has stalled in progress, it's good at least something is going next gen.

This phone though, I have serious doubts about and won't be bothering with it.
SteveU 22nd February 2011, 17:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wst
It'll either work really well and be a massive success and revolutionise Android gaming.


Or it'll be like the N-Gage.

The latter
sandys 22nd February 2011, 19:58 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Maverick
Sony's not fixing the Android gaming market, they're breaking it further by introducing single-platform games, not encouraging quality cross-device titles. nVidia, if they play the Tegra Store (sic) correctly, could offer a reasonable alternative because it's not tied to a single device and should be vetted by nVidia, but I'm having trouble putting my faith even in Big Green. :/ Maybe I'm just being pessimistic this morning, though.

I gotta go with the masses on this and say it's yet another misstep by Sony. Bad Sony! Bad!

You are not paying attention, the platform is the Sony Store and games are not locked to this Experia Play device but to the Sony Playstation gaming portal that will run on certified devices, a Tegra device could be certified if the handset maker wishes to be certified, it also does not need the buttons as controls can be on screen like people are used to, buttons just make most gaming better.

This means the market doesn't have to be fragmented, only being Tegra compatible would be even worse as this would mean high end expensive devices only.
rollo 22nd February 2011, 20:14 Quote
It's why apple has the correct approach anything 2 years old no longer supported, if you try to keep the world happy you will not succeed
urobulos 22nd February 2011, 20:22 Quote
If the Xperia Play is the only Playstation Suite phone then this whole concept will fail hard. If Sony follows on its promises of licensing Playstation Suite to other manufacturers then it can become very succesfull. Since PS Suite can not play PSP titles and it will NOT play NGP titles 100% (NGP is MUCH faster plus it has hardware built in that is not present in phones and likely won't be for the foreseeable future) developers will make games knowing they are PS Suite exclusives. IF Sony licenses PS Suite to Samsung, HTC, LG and others then I can see it becoming a massive brand for Android since gaming is the one area where it lags badly behind iOS and even Windows Phone 7. It will have the advantage of offering some more meaningful titles together with casual games, something the iOS fails at (with a few very rare exceptions).
One thing that does bug me a bit though is the support for PSP titles. Idk whether PS Suite and PSP use different programming languages, but deffinately Xperia Play has enough oomph to run PSP titles from a hardware point of view. IMHO Sony MUST enable all the PSP/PSOne content that people purchased through their PS Network accounts. Any other solution will feel like a massive rip off. Besides, for people who already have a decent library of games on the PSN, this will be an incentive to buy the phone.

I can see this becoming a massive success, but considering Sony's recent run with their software ideas and their historical aversion to licensing their stuff out there way too many question marks for me to buy this phone at launch.

Having said that, when my contract runs out in 6 months, if HTC is allowed access to PS Suite then my next handset will be a 4.3-4.5 inch HTC phone with Android 3.0 and access to proper games. Exciting times ahead.


Oh and for people complaining about the specs. the phone is plenty fast compared to anything out on the market at the moment. Besides you have to realise this is the basic spec for Android gaming if the whole PS Suite idea takes off. Say, the Galaxy S phones are pretty powerfull at the moment, but no game developer will create games that actually push it hard. Right now most people still use slower and/or older phones such as the HTC Hero/Legend. If you create a game that pushes the Galaxy S hardware then it won't run on slower phones (vast majority of the market at the moment) at all. Which means you don't have anyone to sell it to. Similar I guess to Crysis and PC market when it first came out. This phone raises the bar MASSIVELY when it comes to minimum spec. The only thing now, is to ensure enough manufacturers adopt it and promote it in order to have a strong customer base which can lure developers and hopefuly create a virtuous circle. I really hope this works since the way iOS approaches gaming just makes me cringe.
urobulos 22nd February 2011, 20:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by memeroot
both this and the NGA seem to have missed the mark about as much as the ps3

I'd say PS3 is in many ways more succesfull then the 360, at least from Sony's POV. In terms of sales the PS3 is not far behind at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised if a major part of Microsoft's lead was due to people buying new consoles after their warranty expired. Granted this has been adressed now with extended warranties and more reliable SKUs, but the first 2-3 years many users were playing a bit of a lottery with their Xboxes.
Most importantly though, I'd expect the PS3 to have a higher ratio of software per console since it is pirate free (though we will see in the coming months whether the current jailbreaks will spread on a wide scale). For console manufacturers the money is in licensing games, not hardware sales (unless you are Nintendo and you can push tens of millions of slightly upgraded Gamecubes). The only real advantage that MS has financialy over Sony is the Xbox Live which brings in billions in revenue compared to the mostly free PSN. Having said that, I'd say every current gen console has been a success with enough market share and great exclusive titles to keep the competition going. No obvious failures like the Saturn/N64/Dreamcast/Xbox/Gamecube.

Though I'd love to see a hardware refresh within a year or two rather than gimmicky motion controls to prolong the life cycle. Every developer will optimize their games for the most lucrative market and if that market is based around 5-6 year old tech..... Imagine what kind of push the industry would get if the baseline for the console market sudddenly became a 570 or a 6970. Oh well, one can dream.
themax 22nd February 2011, 20:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys
You are not paying attention, the platform is the Sony Store and games are not locked to this Experia Play device but to the Sony Playstation gaming portal that will run on certified devices, a Tegra device could be certified if the handset maker wishes to be certified, it also does not need the buttons as controls can be on screen like people are used to, buttons just make most gaming better.

This means the market doesn't have to be fragmented, only being Tegra compatible would be even worse as this would mean high end expensive devices only.

Beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing. How would the Sony Store fragmant and break the market when it's a suite that will be targeted to phones certified to access/run the content. Where the Tegra Store locks out any non-tegra device. And there aren't many Tegra powered phones to begin with running Android.

I can't say how well the Xperia Play will pan out. But I think this is a huge gamble by Sony Ericsson. As it stands, the Sony Store is the best looking addition coming to Android on the gaming side of the house. This is a chance for Sony to capture the fast growing Android market which is mostly lackluster right now in the gaming department (Android will always be second fiddle to iOS for most developers) and spread the Playstation Network brand.
Crorder 22nd February 2011, 21:51 Quote
»someone up there ^ (sandys) sais that the phone's got old hardware... what did u think » it's like the 1st thing like that » of course they put older stuf into it it's a TEST version» they say it's just the beginning ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQqyUlQRB5g

so I guess there will be another version of it (if people like it)

:)))))
dsswoosh 22nd February 2011, 22:36 Quote
Let's be fair. This is not a long term investment for anybody. Not Sony, and not for the customer.

However, getting a new 18 month cheap contract to use this phone might just be worth it. By the time your 18 months is up, you can upgrade to the Xperia Play 2. (Which will likely run PS2 games).

Whatever, i am thinking of getting it. Even if the Playstation Suite games are crap, the PS emulator plays 70% of PS One games near perfect on this phone, and you have access to every Genesis/Snes/Master System/Nes/GameBoy Advance/Colour and probably a few MAME arcade games aswell.

Heck, this is a portable Emulation Wet Dream if you ask me.


Only 3 things annoy me.

1) Slightly Bulky
2) OverPriced (However, if you plan to use as an Emulator, it's grossly underpriced)
3) Poor Hardware considering whats about to come out.


Worth paying to use for 18 months?

Yes imo. Find a cheap contract. Play for 18 months. Throw away and upgrade.
gosh 23rd February 2011, 03:16 Quote
i was expecting more from a bittech hands on TBH - granted it's still early days and you've included some lifespan speculation but what i want to know is how were the graphics, did it move responsively and how the controls anologue pads were (not even touched in the vid).

own an android phone myself and most of my use is playing GBA/SNES games in free time at work and the few good android games (zenonia, grave defense, not that birds one). i like the android platform because it's so open and without the limitations of just a few navigation buttons and the screen i'd expect more games and possibly even ps1 emulators to show up (not holding my breath for psp games on a this machine, especially as this seems to be the first of many play branded phones that may have psp support later).

really looking forward to this but it depends a lot on price - a phone that can be used for basic gaming ticks my boxes especially with proper controls instead of getting me fingers covering half the screen but i'll hang back and see how the concept turns out - give me real gaming controls, ps1 emulators and decent PS store mini support and i'm there but i'm not wanting a pspGO phone and a high contract/pricepoint .
javaman 23rd February 2011, 16:01 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by urobulos

Oh and for people complaining about the specs. the phone is plenty fast compared to anything out on the market at the moment. Besides you have to realise this is the basic spec for Android gaming if the whole PS Suite idea takes off. Say, the Galaxy S phones are pretty powerfull at the moment, but no game developer will create games that actually push it hard. Right now most people still use slower and/or older phones such as the HTC Hero/Legend. If you create a game that pushes the Galaxy S hardware then it won't run on slower phones (vast majority of the market at the moment) at all. Which means you don't have anyone to sell it to. Similar I guess to Crysis and PC market when it first came out. This phone raises the bar MASSIVELY when it comes to minimum spec. The only thing now, is to ensure enough manufacturers adopt it and promote it in order to have a strong customer base which can lure developers and hopefuly create a virtuous circle. I really hope this works since the way iOS approaches gaming just makes me cringe.

Yea but a gaming based phone should be cutting edge ie 1.2GHz dual core, tegra2 etc. If they hope to be cutting edge and bring their own games why set the bar low since android and ARM update every 6months almost. If it released before christmas it might be consided good but releasing now with whats coming out is sony again dropping the xperia ball (x10 released with 1.6 as 2.1 was already out). Sony won't bring new games, their track record shows that on the mobile front, this is just a way of re flogging psone games to little kids who think smart phone gaming is the best thing since sliced bread.
With the hideous, performance sapping UI's that most companies throw on android I would want at least a dual core or even tegra2 on this.
Licencing aswell will prevent other companies taking this up and the relentless upgrade cycle and fragmentation of ARM and Android means these devices are thrown away every year at least. The fragmentation makes any hope of developing and giving a consistant gaming experience (If sony does bring its own titles) across all platforms a logistical nightmare.
dsswoosh 23rd February 2011, 21:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman
Yea but a gaming based phone should be cutting edge ie 1.2GHz dual core, tegra2 etc. If they hope to be cutting edge and bring their own games why set the bar low since android and ARM update every 6months almost. If it released before christmas it might be consided good but releasing now with whats coming out is sony again dropping the xperia ball (x10 released with 1.6 as 2.1 was already out). Sony won't bring new games, their track record shows that on the mobile front, this is just a way of re flogging psone games to little kids who think smart phone gaming is the best thing since sliced bread.
With the hideous, performance sapping UI's that most companies throw on android I would want at least a dual core or even tegra2 on this.
Licencing aswell will prevent other companies taking this up and the relentless upgrade cycle and fragmentation of ARM and Android means these devices are thrown away every year at least. The fragmentation makes any hope of developing and giving a consistant gaming experience (If sony does bring its own titles) across all platforms a logistical nightmare.

If Sony doesn't bring it's own games like you stated, then what's the point of a tegra 2 chipset for a smartphone that is only going to play ps1 games on it?

No point.

What you should realise is that this phone will emulate 70% of PS One games. In order to emulate something smoothly you need approximately 3x the power of the original hardware.

That means this phone in theory will be capable of running native games at least the quality of PS2 games, whilst PS1 games will emulate very nice.


I do, however, agree with you. I think Sony Ericsson are going to take the cheap way out. They are simply going to emulate most releases, which means the Andreno 205 chipset will never reach it's full potential on this phone.

Still though, you have to realise that this phone will last 2 years maximum. MAXIMUM, before the next phone comes out with a d-pad (and trust me, they will).

I'm going to go with T-Mobile here if i buy this phone. £109.99 initial laydown for the handset, 300 minutes, 300 texts, 1 GB data for an 18 month £25.74 contract.

Pretty good deal if you ask me.

When my 18 months is up, I will literally throw/give the phone away and get the next best Android phone with d-pad. Just think, 18 months of almost every PS1/Snes/Gameboy/Megadrive (Genesis)/Many Mame games all for the offering and for FREE.

Plus you get a very decent browsing experience and a decent camera and a decent battery life. Not excellent, but decent.

Think of it as an 18 month hire, which, when expired you get to upgrade again, and it starts to get very attractive indeed imo.
Th3Maverick 23rd February 2011, 22:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys
You are not paying attention, the platform is the Sony Store and games are not locked to this Experia Play device but to the Sony Playstation gaming portal that will run on certified devices, a Tegra device could be certified if the handset maker wishes to be certified, it also does not need the buttons as controls can be on screen like people are used to, buttons just make most gaming better.

This means the market doesn't have to be fragmented, only being Tegra compatible would be even worse as this would mean high end expensive devices only.

You are correct, sir--I wasn't paying attention. In that light, Sony Store does indeed have the potential to be successful, and I retract the majority of my previous statement. If they play their cards right and put out some of their more popular semi-casual games (like Lumines and Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman), I'd buy the hell out of it!
Nikumba 24th February 2011, 10:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
It's why apple has the correct approach anything 2 years old no longer supported, if you try to keep the world happy you will not succeed

Sure about that?

Pretty sure Apple still support a majortiy of their old kit.

The OSX updates work on all the Intel macs which have been around for almost 5 years now.

They still support the 3G/3GS iphone in so much iOS works on them, granted some newer apps need an iPhone4 but that is not them neglecting the older models.

So I am curious which product you refer to? That is two years old and Apple no longer support

Kimbie
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums