bit-tech.net

OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200 Flex II 4GB Series

Comments 1 to 24 of 24

Reply
The boy 4rm oz 31st July 2008, 08:32 Quote
Very cool RAM. Sucks about the restrictive manifolds though. Simple solution is running a seperate lower spec pump for the RAM. OR a seperate loop all together.
Fod 31st July 2008, 08:47 Quote
fare! how does it _fare_!
yeah this is the poncey equivalent of your and you're.
Bindibadgi 31st July 2008, 08:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod
fare! how does it _fare_!
yeah this is the poncey equivalent of your and you're.

Alright, keep your knickers on.
Fod 31st July 2008, 08:56 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
Alright, keep your knickers on.

you only have to ask and they'll be off again ;)
wuyanxu 31st July 2008, 09:14 Quote
shame it doesn't allow 4 sticks...... why can't OCZ use a ultra high heatsink instead of going fatter and fatter
ChaosDefinesOrder 31st July 2008, 09:28 Quote
Looks good to me! One would assume that if you're going to get these RAM sticks then you'd already be watercooling the rest of your rig and therefore would have a pre-existing loop (or will be getting these as part of a larger loop) which would mean you'd have a better and more capable pump than that TINY little bay thing...
Bindibadgi 31st July 2008, 09:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosDefinesOrder
Looks good to me! One would assume that if you're going to get these RAM sticks then you'd already be watercooling the rest of your rig and therefore would have a pre-existing loop (or will be getting these as part of a larger loop) which would mean you'd have a better and more capable pump than that TINY little bay thing...

Yes, very true, however like I said you'd have to use a Y piece of manifold and keep the rest of the system separate otherwise it'll just kill the flow.
mrb_no1 31st July 2008, 10:34 Quote
that pump and rad seems fairly uselss to me, for me, its only feasible use would be to cool the overheated 680i northbridge on my mobo, but then i've not even got my cpu overclocked anymore as the mobo kicked up such a fuss and solely cooling ones northbridge with w/c is tres overkill!

I have always been dubious of those massive sinks on ram, i had questionned its necessity but atleast those temps are more agreeable than the standard that are fitted on the crucial.
Journeyer 31st July 2008, 12:47 Quote
I must admit that I am tempted...

My reapers look good (and perform superbly), but these look better (and perform better as well).
ChaosDefinesOrder 31st July 2008, 13:18 Quote
I want to see a pair of these plugged into the Maximus II - they look like they have very similar heatsink fin designs...
[USRF]Obiwan 31st July 2008, 15:05 Quote
Damn, don't you guys have a Eheim pump laying around somewhere? You got all that crap everywhere in the office but not a pump and a good rad. Come on! lets test this again with water in it...
Nitrix 31st July 2008, 16:19 Quote
Hey all,

Aqua-Pcs is in "DA" house too ;)

Just as a quick point I would like to make about the pump used in the review is that this was unfortunately faulty - these things happen and XSPC assure me the problem was identified quickly and resolved. As the pump sent to Bit-Tech was a review item this one slipped under the radar :(

In our defense we must state that the kit was sat @ Bit-Tech HQ for what must be getting on a good “few weeks” now and if it was tested / setup more then 1 day prior to the review we would have easily been able to send over a replacement for you.

As an idea of what it can handle we are running the pump with and XSPC radiator, D-tek fusion V2, DD 8800gtx, and of course the Flex II Memory (which is great btw) off the same 200 Bay pump on our test bench – feel free to come check it out for your self as it will be on our stand at the M-Festival

And yes we would be happy to replace the pump so you can give it another go ;)
Bindibadgi 31st July 2008, 16:35 Quote
Hi mate, unfortunately we came to test the watercooling about 4pm last night :( We did say it's clearly faulty, but unfortunately there was no time for a replacement. We'll be happy to test a replacement and try it again with the BFG review and add an addendum ;):)

My email is on the about page - let me know! :)
HourBeforeDawn 31st July 2008, 22:19 Quote
ya I was going to get these but by the time I had money no one had it in stock and some said it was discountinued so I was like WTF so I got GSkill DDR2-1150 4gb kit instead and well I am very happy with it :)
willyolio 1st August 2008, 07:35 Quote
hmm. since these take up 2 dimm slots each, it ends up being a question of fast ram vs. more ram.

i'd rather have 8 gigs of much cheaper ram than 4 gigs of expensive, slightly faster ram.
Bindibadgi 1st August 2008, 08:50 Quote
Well tbh 8GBs of "cheaper" ram is still going to cost you as much as 4GBs of this stuff, and we've shown before you don't really need 8GB unless you have a specific requirement in the work you do. Filling four slots can sometimes be temperamental for motherboards and BIOS' too - you won't reach these speeds with four DIMMs that's for sure.
Cupboard 1st August 2008, 16:53 Quote
Along with the above comment, I would prefer to have 8GB of RAM, or the option of 8GB rather than have to tie myself down so much with these. Still, they do look rather good and I am sure that in a lot of circumstances will be used extremely effectively.

Minor point - there is rather an attack of the apostrophes on the last page!
Neuromancer 2nd August 2008, 07:52 Quote
Recently got a kit of this for very cheap.

Bought as an intended WC purchase.

but it just doesnt matter. I am running a p5Q deluxe just liek the reviewer and at 2.08 vdimm am getting 1200mhz 5-5-5-18. All on auto (except on vdimm as mentioned)

I dont know what the reviewers were doing wrong. I got googled her looking for cas 4 timings.. I have read 4 cas was only good till 960 on these sticks, (which is diheartening) I just sold 4x1GB of gskill hz that will do 4 cas at 1000mhz... (at more volts they are microns after all and doomed to failure cuz of it) for twice what i paid for these sticks though :) so i guess all in all im happy. the lack of getting 8GB in a system sucks but having a couple of uber quiet low speed 120's in the side panel keeps these sticks cool enough to run faster then anything but ddr3. (although with looser timings the nthe higher voltage microns, which actually... micron made 667 chips until a year ago and then started making 800mhz chips, they stil dont make 1200 mhz chips ;) so when you consider the enormous fail rate of ballistix lets say... and compare it to the fail rate of these (promos? I think ??) Odds are more likely your micron will fail before my 1200mhz ICs will :)
Andy Mc 2nd August 2008, 10:05 Quote
I have this stuff and I'm quite indifferant about it. I had to RMA the first set I had as it was foobar'd (not supprising considering how hard it must be to get good enough silicon for this). I kinda wish I'd just got a decent 8gb set of corsair.
Ending Credits 2nd August 2008, 10:55 Quote
I'd like to hear news on that Aqua PC solution. Looks very interesting/promising.
Bindibadgi 2nd August 2008, 11:01 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer
Recently got a kit of this for very cheap.

Bought as an intended WC purchase.

but it just doesnt matter. I am running a p5Q deluxe just liek the reviewer and at 2.08 vdimm am getting 1200mhz 5-5-5-18. All on auto (except on vdimm as mentioned)

I dont know what the reviewers were doing wrong. I got googled her looking for cas 4 timings.. I have read 4 cas was only good till 960 on these sticks, (which is diheartening) I just sold 4x1GB of gskill hz that will do 4 cas at 1000mhz... (at more volts they are microns after all and doomed to failure cuz of it) for twice what i paid for these sticks though :) so i guess all in all im happy. the lack of getting 8GB in a system sucks but having a couple of uber quiet low speed 120's in the side panel keeps these sticks cool enough to run faster then anything but ddr3. (although with looser timings the nthe higher voltage microns, which actually... micron made 667 chips until a year ago and then started making 800mhz chips, they stil dont make 1200 mhz chips ;) so when you consider the enormous fail rate of ballistix lets say... and compare it to the fail rate of these (promos? I think ??) Odds are more likely your micron will fail before my 1200mhz ICs will :)

There is no way our board would work on Auto - that crapped out well before 1100MHz, I had to significantly play for ages with the extra timings and clock skews to get it stable at 1142. It would do 1150, but it wouldn't complete most of the benchmarks.

I don't see what you've got against Micron D9s so much, our pair of 2GB kits of OCZ 9200 and Kingston 9200 use them and we've been overvolting them in probably 50+ systems for over a year now. These 4GB are apparently Elpida (OCZ themselves said), but I've also been told the likelihood of PSC is also high because it's what everyone else uses, however we wouldn't be surprised if OCZ bought the entire lot of Elpida's at a bargain price so that's how it can charge £80 less than Corsair.

But again these are 4GB kits of 800/1066MHz that are binned and overclocked to do 1150MHz - you don't own "1,200MHz ICs", no one makes 1200 chips - the frequency doesnt exist outside of overclocking, only recently (last 6 months) Micron have started to make 1066 at 1.8V for Phenom. http://www.micron.com/products/dram/ddr2/partlist.aspx?den=2Gb there's already "C7" stuff in production.
ParaHelix.org 3rd August 2008, 01:52 Quote
Very nice products indeed. Currently I only have my CPU liquid cooled because of overclocking but I am also thinking of liquid cooling my GTX 280 graphics card, since I have the LianLi PC-P80 case (black ver.) I have a fantastic amount of free space and a very large radiator so if for no other reason atleast it will look cool (thanks UV reactive liquid).

I have one question which may sound a little noobish but I admit that I am new to the liquid cooling scene, so, what I want to know is what you guys meen by "seperate loop". For example, I have one pump and a loop cooling my CPU, now I want to cool my graphics, does this mean I should buy a new pump, radiator, and everything else? Thanks in advance for any knoledge sharing that I know goes on a lot in the great world of Bit-Tech.
ParaHelix.org 3rd August 2008, 01:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu
shame it doesn't allow 4 sticks...... why can't OCZ use a ultra high heatsink instead of going fatter and fatter

Proberbly because they want to make the "on-board radiator" touch more air rather than just spreading the heat around and trying to squeese it from some tiny prongs.
Vigilante 3rd September 2008, 23:11 Quote
Am I the only one that was severely unimpressed with these modules? On Everest my ddr2-1000 memory modules (overclocked from ddr2-800) trash these ones in the memory tests. My processor is running slower, since its an E8400, all ive done is increase the memory devider from 1:1 to 1:1.25.

Read: 9169MB/s
Write: 10496MB/s
Copy: 9031MB/s
Latency: 54.8ns


I'm not implying the results are wrong or anything, I'm just wondering why my modules, which are admittedly quite cheap, managed higher scores. Not sure if the fact that I have 8gb total capacity would impact the performance, but so far thats my only explaination.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums