bit-tech.net

Breaking Wind

Comments 1 to 20 of 20

Reply
teamtd11 5th July 2008, 01:23 Quote
wow thats a late release, going to read it now.

Edit: Nice bit of late night reading. looks live a very well put together little thing.
Oclocker 5th July 2008, 02:29 Quote
oooh interesting.. but ya vandal any one who's been modding for a wee whilee (say 20 + years) can open anything and reassemble with warranty seals intact :)
Seriously it looks far better in a technical way than an eeepc IMHO. external looks a dead heat ! Acer Aspire (blue) best looker by miles so hopefully you get one to strip (send it north & I'll strip it take pics - warranty seals intact gteed)F course due to trade secrets act nevr able to return it :)
|V| 4 L k i 3 R 5th July 2008, 10:33 Quote
Can we get a look at the opamps for audio? Would be a nice treat to upgrade the line out for the plane rides.
wuyanxu 5th July 2008, 10:43 Quote
2GB RAM and replace HDD with SDD when price is right (up replace it with a 250GB). sounds like a perfect laptop compared to EEE's limited disk space
DougEdey 5th July 2008, 10:44 Quote
*titter*
deeem119 5th July 2008, 11:05 Quote
Any chance of finding out which WLAN chipset is used?
ChriX 5th July 2008, 11:16 Quote
All of these seem to be getting further and further away from what made the EEE 701 good, it's price. It would be nice to see someone attempt to better the 701 at the same price rather than just upping the spec and price and getting closer to conventional laptops.
Bindibadgi 5th July 2008, 12:22 Quote
The whole point about sub-notebooks is that they are not conventional notebooks.

You can't have it both ways - it's either cheap or feature loaded. People complained the 701 wasn't enough - LCD size/hard drive etc, now they complain it's too expensive.
ChriX 5th July 2008, 14:03 Quote
My only complaint with my 701 was the dead pixel smack bang in the middle of the screen - if it wasn't for that it'd still be with me today. It was cheap so I don't expect features a-plenty, I'm just happy that it was cheap. :)

Therefore I think it would be nice to see some competition at the same price point, rather than just moving up.
Oclocker 5th July 2008, 14:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChriX
All of these seem to be getting further and further away from what made the EEE 701 good, it's price. It would be nice to see someone attempt to better the 701 at the same price rather than just upping the spec and price and getting closer to conventional laptops.

the Acer aspire 1 @199 quid upps spec a lot and cheaper - makes eee pc 701 look like the pile of tosh it is IMHO.
B3CK 5th July 2008, 20:25 Quote
Any chance of getting info on what the maximum ram supported is? Say if I want to run linux with gobbles of ram?
Bindibadgi 5th July 2008, 23:28 Quote
I'd guess the single DDR2 SO-DIMM size supported is 2GB if my memory on the 945 chipset serves correctly, so you'll max it out with 3. Why do you need so much?

Nigel - we've asked for an Acer One :);)
slugbug 5th July 2008, 23:30 Quote
Nice thread title ;)
Imothep 6th July 2008, 12:13 Quote
Hi, I Have a Medion Akoya Mini (OEM Version of the MSI Wind). I just looked at the board, it is nearly the same! Even MS-No.111 Rev.1.0 is written at the back of the mainboard!
It doesn´t have the onboard RAM and Bluetooth is missing.
But as you can see http://scr3.golem.de/?d=0807/Medion-Test&a=60827&s=1 I hope the only thing that´s missing is the connector. So i want to know which Bluetooth Device is build in the MSI Wind, so I can buy the same. If I have enough time I will try to solder it in :)
Dr. Strangelove 6th July 2008, 12:17 Quote
Did I miss it or is the picture of the Atom CPU missing? or does everyone know what they look like and find it boring? Oh and whats under that shiny piece of metal that sits between the south bridge and the memory slot? hehe I'm a curious type of guy....

Anyway nice little article, I like it when you dismantle things like this!
Oclocker 6th July 2008, 12:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imothep
Hi, I Have a Medion Akoya Mini (OEM Version of the MSI Wind). I just looked at the board, it is nearly the same! Even MS-No.111 Rev.1.0 is written at the back of the mainboard!
It doesn´t have the onboard RAM and Bluetooth is missing.
But as you can see http://scr3.golem.de/?d=0807/Medion-Test&a=60827&s=1 I hope the only thing that´s missing is the connector. So i want to know which Bluetooth Device is build in the MSI Wind, so I can buy the same. If I have enough time I will try to solder it in :)

you seen those tiny usb bluetooth dongles only protude around a cm max?
ok robs a usb port but zero risk?
Bindibadgi 6th July 2008, 12:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove
Did I miss it or is the picture of the Atom CPU missing? or does everyone know what they look like and find it boring? Oh and whats under that shiny piece of metal that sits between the south bridge and the memory slot? hehe I'm a curious type of guy....

Anyway nice little article, I like it when you dismantle things like this!

The northbridge and CPU are under the metal heatspreader :) I thought everyone knew what they look like :o

So to do: Pics of Atom and northbridge.

Disassemble the wireless (might require soldering iron)

and OpAMPs
Solinx 6th July 2008, 14:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
I'd guess the single DDR2 SO-DIMM size supported is 2GB if my memory on the 945 chipset serves correctly, so you'll max it out with 3.
The max total ram is 2GB. If you get the model with 1GB soldered, you can add only 1 more GB in the empty slot.
Source: User experiences from forums.msiwind.net
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeem119
Any chance of finding out which WLAN chipset is used?
Quote:
Chip: RTL8187SE ( http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=40&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=172 )
Hardware ID: VEN_10EC&DEV_8199&SUBSYS_68941462&REV_22
Source: http://forums.msiwind.net/mac-f32/wlan-thread-t813.html

Good luck with your mods :)
docsnyder007 17th July 2008, 09:29 Quote
Hi,

so the Medion type has two RAM slots, and no RAM solderd in directly? Would be an advantage compared to the U100.

Cheers,

Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imothep
Hi, I Have a Medion Akoya Mini (OEM Version of the MSI Wind). I just looked at the board, it is nearly the same! Even MS-No.111 Rev.1.0 is written at the back of the mainboard!
It doesn´t have the onboard RAM and Bluetooth is missing.
But as you can see http://scr3.golem.de/?d=0807/Medion-Test&a=60827&s=1 I hope the only thing that´s missing is the connector. So i want to know which Bluetooth Device is build in the MSI Wind, so I can buy the same. If I have enough time I will try to solder it in :)
Bindibadgi 17th July 2008, 10:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsnyder007
Hi,

so the Medion type has two RAM slots, and no RAM solderd in directly? Would be an advantage compared to the U100.

Cheers,

Daniel

It has just the one from the looks of the picture, and I've still got no idea what the BT devise is sorry. Why didn't you just buy a Wind in the firstplace if you needed BT or get a USB adapter?
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums