bit-tech.net

AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB Review

Comments 26 to 50 of 122

Reply
Tomrh99 22nd December 2011, 11:40 Quote
Nice review, and congrats AMD!!!
While the radeon 6000 series is a good siries, they had nothing really to compete with the higher end nvidia cards like the 570 and 580. The only thing they had that was good enough for them is the loud, hot and expensive 6990. But finally they gave something to compete with the higher end single GPU cards!
Oh and I'm not sure having it against a 3gb 580 would make too much of a difference, the memory doesent matter all that much.
So all in all a good card + great overclocking = WELL DONE AMD! :)
xaser04 22nd December 2011, 11:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
We'll be looking at doing some multi-display performance in the New Year, but it's only really useful for comparing AMD cards to other AMD cards, as Nvidia's GPUs require SLI for 3-screens.

This isn't strictly true*. Galaxy have some GTX5xx cards that can natively run 3 (or more) monitors from a single card. The GTX580 MDT is what HardOCP used to compare single card Surround performance to single card Eyefinity.

*Although quite correct if we are strictly talking about the reference design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded
From what I've heard from an Nvidia rep, they've been planning to fix this weakness in Fermi for quite a while. I'd expect native 3-display output from Kepler at the very least.

Excellent news assuming it plays out that way. I love Portrait Eyefinity on my single HD6970 but I do wish for more FPS with no extra noise. Turn down a few settings though and everything I hve tried is playable. A HD7970 would just allow me to turn up settings at the same FPS or push higher FPS at the same settings.

I am not paying £440 for that boost though. My HD6970 (an Asus HD6950 flashed and clocked) was £199....
bogie170 22nd December 2011, 11:46 Quote
£350 and you got yourself a deal AMD.
£450 no thanks.
damien c 22nd December 2011, 11:49 Quote
Hopefully when I am ready to upgrade there will be some new Nvidia card's out to really see how this thing perform's.

At the moment though I will stick with my GTX 480, and will buy a waterblock for it and oc the nuts of it.
Siwini 22nd December 2011, 11:51 Quote
I must admit. I did not expect this. Thanks guys and Merry Christmas!
yassarikhan786 22nd December 2011, 11:56 Quote
A good card with some impressive results. I wonder how it would perform against a factory OC'd 580 with a similar price bracket, like the MSI lightning or the Gigabyte SOC.

The results would definitely be closer.
warejon9 22nd December 2011, 12:05 Quote
For those wanting GPU compute, http://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/22

Indeed a very interesting article. When you said you used MSI afterburner and set to the maximum clocks, was that the max stable, or just without using the funky tweak to get crazy high clocks?
Cei 22nd December 2011, 12:07 Quote
Certainly not worth an upgrade from my GTX 580 1.5GB - 5fps gains at most for a £440 outlay? I think the price is a bit too high for a single card regardless - if they hit the £350 price point there would be a lot more interest.
warejon9 22nd December 2011, 12:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei
Certainly not worth an upgrade from my GTX 580 1.5GB - 5fps gains at most for a £440 outlay? I think the price is a bit too high for a single card regardless - if they hit the £350 price point there would be a lot more interest.

Well, what about the power savings as well? Which would you buy as a new card?
Baz 22nd December 2011, 12:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by warejon9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei
Certainly not worth an upgrade from my GTX 580 1.5GB - 5fps gains at most for a £440 outlay? I think the price is a bit too high for a single card regardless - if they hit the £350 price point there would be a lot more interest.

Well, what about the power savings as well? Which would you buy as a new card?

I'd wait until Nvidia and AMD had a few more 218nm cards out!
steve30x 22nd December 2011, 12:43 Quote
I can finally feel comfortable changing to an ATI GPU even if Nvidia goes one better. Looking at reviews so far this 7970 matches my GTX580 and sometimes margianlly beats my GTX580. I am a fanboy of ATI and have been waiting for years for them to bring out a decent GPU.
damien c 22nd December 2011, 12:46 Quote
For those wanting to see how this compares to the 3gb GTX 580, look and wait no more.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/49646-amd-radeon-hd-7970-3gb-review-13.html

Seem's it is faster than the 3gb GTX 580 so for those looking to upgrade from a low or medium spec card, and was thinking of going for a GTX 580 then unless you want to stick to Nvidia then this new AMD card seem's a better choice unless you want to save some money.
damien c 22nd December 2011, 12:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve30x
I can finally feel comfortable changing to an ATI GPU even if Nvidia goes one better. Looking at reviews so far this 7970 matches my GTX580 and sometimes margianlly beats my GTX580. I am a fanboy of ATI and have been waiting for years for them to bring out a decent GPU.

I switched from ATI when Nvidia released the 8800 series card's and have not looked back, but now I am considering switching back but will make my choice when Nvidia release there new card's.
Cei 22nd December 2011, 13:01 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by warejon9
Well, what about the power savings as well? Which would you buy as a new card?

Power savings? Seriously? All these high end cards are going to draw more or less the same at load, and when I'm done gaming I turn my PC off - so this new low power mode when the display is asleep would achieve nothing.

Plus, my PC under load uses just under 2p an hour of electricity. It'll take a lot of hours to justify the £440 price tag on those grounds alone.

As a new card I'd still buy a GTX 580 1.5GB if I had to buy one today. The price jump to the 7970 is just too much for a marginal increase in performance. Of course, this all comes down to what the real price is in January...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
I'd wait until Nvidia and AMD had a few more 218nm cards out!

Totally agree, but this shows us what AMD's flagship single-GPU solution is going to be. For somebody already using a top-class card, the only other launch of interest is NVIDIA's GTX 680. Hardly going to step down to a 7950...
fingerbob69 22nd December 2011, 13:05 Quote
"However, it's questionable whether you seriously need that much graphics performance."
...you are f@#k%!g kidding me!!!??? A magazine that caters to those who concern themselves with bleeding edge tech, even if they can't all afford it, and you question the need for moar??? And if it's true of this card now then it was already true of the gtx580, right?

"With the PC games industry tied down by games that need to be developed for ageing consoles, you won't benefit from this sort of graphics power unless you use very high resolutions. A quick glance at the performance in games such as Skyrim or Dirt 3 at 1,920 x 1,080 is enough to tell you that, for most titles, a cheaper card delivers equally playable results.
Regardless, you'd arguably be foolish (or perhaps an AMD fanboy) to jump the 28nm gun so quickly."

Translation: don't upgrade now, new tech is just around the corner....as it always is

"Nvidia will respond with its own 28nm Kepler parts around March/April (to coincide with Ivy Bridge, we believe) and we expect new GPUs from AMD between January and March too."
Rumour, conjecture and with no basis in fact. We don't know when nVidia will release their next gen. The gtx480 was promised November '09 ...arrived May? '10. We... you... have even less idea as to what performance improvements they'll bring or at what cost.

Belief in a future nVidia release is an act of faith. The HD7970 is a present day(well, Jan 9th:D) fact.
Burhoom 22nd December 2011, 13:06 Quote
But, can it....?
maverik-sg1 22nd December 2011, 13:06 Quote
Did I miss the in depth noise analysis? You know the one that gets pulled out of the bag whent when nvida has a noisey cooler? Other sites are claiming this thing is as noisey a GTX590 under load......I recall certain reviewers likening this to making their ears bleed...

Overall when compared to it's 40nm comrades - the number of texture units, the number of transistors, the new memory bus, the fact that you guys more than likely have a 'golden sample' card in terms of overclocking - a defacto 20% improvement over the GTX580 is not exactly an evolutionary step - My advice to anyone considering a new gpu right now, do as I always do and wait for the full spread of 28nm cards to become available before making your choice.
mhadina 22nd December 2011, 13:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaser04
Actually on the point of Kempler. Does anyone know if Nvidia will be adding Surround support to its cards natively? In other words will you be able to run Surround off of one card like AMD Eyefinity?
From what I've heard from an Nvidia rep, they've been planning to fix this weakness in Fermi for quite a while. I'd expect native 3-display output from Kepler at the very least.

As for PCIe 3.0, AnandTech have run some tests with GPU compute applications and it's definitely working and making a difference on X79: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5264/sandy-bridge-e-x79-pcie-30-it-works

Really? Guys at Hardwaresecrets have a different results ...
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/AMD-Radeon-HD-7970-Video-Card-Review/1458/14
rollo 22nd December 2011, 13:08 Quote
£440 minimum for a gpu you got to be crazy
mhadina 22nd December 2011, 13:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
£440 minimum for a gpu you got to be crazy

It would be like 50% more here in Croatia = £660
What do you say for that?
:)
Happy Christmas to all!
P.S. Save a quid or two for the new GPUs in the 2012.
Cei 22nd December 2011, 13:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerbob69
"However, it's questionable whether you seriously need that much graphics performance."
...you are f@#k%!g kidding me!!!??? A magazine that caters to those who concern themselves with bleeding edge tech, even if they can't all afford it, and you question the need for moar??? And if it's true of this card now then it was already true of the gtx580, right?
BT caters for the entire market, and most of the market can't afford to have triple SLI, top-end GPUs and more RAM than sense. A value proposition is important - we're now at the point where you need to be at 2560x1600 resolutions to start noticing a difference amongst the top tier cards, and even then it's a matter of a few FPS for a £90+ investment.

Throw in the fact that most people are using 1920x1200/1080, then yes, it's completely valid that you may not even need a 7970 (or for that matter a GTX590 or 6990).
Quote:
"With the PC games industry tied down by games that need to be developed for ageing consoles, you won't benefit from this sort of graphics power unless you use very high resolutions. A quick glance at the performance in games such as Skyrim or Dirt 3 at 1,920 x 1,080 is enough to tell you that, for most titles, a cheaper card delivers equally playable results.
Regardless, you'd arguably be foolish (or perhaps an AMD fanboy) to jump the 28nm gun so quickly."

Translation: don't upgrade now, new tech is just around the corner....as it always is
Which is perfectly valid. AMD must be on the verge of pushing out lower cost models that may well be more suited to people's budgets and needs, and NVIDIAs launch is pretty much guaranteed, the exact timing is the only query.
Quote:
"Nvidia will respond with its own 28nm Kepler parts around March/April (to coincide with Ivy Bridge, we believe) and we expect new GPUs from AMD between January and March too."
Rumour, conjecture and with no basis in fact. We don't know when nVidia will release their next gen. The gtx480 was promised November '09 ...arrived May? '10. We... you... have even less idea as to what performance improvements they'll bring or at what cost.

Belief in a future nVidia release is an act of faith. The HD7970 is a present day(well, Jan 9th:D) fact.
Rumour and conjecture from those in a position to hear accurate rumblings from the industry. The 7970 may well be fact, but it's a single card at the very top of the tree that very few people can afford.
YEHBABY 22nd December 2011, 13:27 Quote
£440 is far too much !

If they do actually sell at that price it tells me they have very limited stock.
Kovoet 22nd December 2011, 13:28 Quote
I like it. The heat wise awesome reading and the power consumption very impressive. Now do we wait for this or do we wait a little longer for the 7990 and I for one will wait for the 7990.
mhadina 22nd December 2011, 13:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovoet
I like it. The heat wise awesome reading and the power consumption very impressive. Now do we wait for this or do we wait a little longer for the 7990 and I for one will wait for the 7990.

Or maybe to wait a little extra longer for 7979x2 ;) Expect something over £600 :(
mhadina 22nd December 2011, 13:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhadina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovoet
I like it. The heat wise awesome reading and the power consumption very impressive. Now do we wait for this or do we wait a little longer for the 7990 and I for one will wait for the 7990.

Or maybe to wait a little extra longer for 7979x2 ;) Expect something over £600 :(

Sorry, 7970x2
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums