bit-tech.net

First Look: Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 1,792MB

Comments 1 to 25 of 61

Reply
Gremlin 18th December 2008, 15:58 Quote
Its really not as impressive as i thought it would be , but ill reserve my final judgement until some partners put out OC versions and the drivers are much more solid

its kinda a shame for them that it isnt going to dominate but barely hold its head above water atm compared to the 4870X2, but i guess thats still a plus for us consumers right, new price war inbound!
Paradigm Shifter 18th December 2008, 16:09 Quote
Nice review. :)

Several of the other (p)reviews that I've seen have obviously favoured the GTX295 by using the 8.10 Catalyst drivers, and in this the GTX295 doesn't dominate quite as amazingly. Bragging rights are all very well, but hopefully given the current economic climate it'll mean a price war. ;)

I'd actually quite like one of these... more memory bandwidth (and maybe some more RAM) would help at the extreme resolutions like 2560x1600 or the TripleHead resolutions... bit of a shame as I'd like the option of going widescreen TripleHead in the not-too-distant future. But for 1920x1200, this seems to hold out really well.

Will need to have a think in the new year, as my 4870X2 order cancelled itself yesterday. :(
ssj12 18th December 2008, 16:11 Quote
this is suffering from the same issues as the 9800GX2 did, poor drivers. Once there are decent drivers for the card it will shine.
Tim S 18th December 2008, 16:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj12
this is suffering from the same issues as the 9800GX2 did, poor drivers. Once there are decent drivers for the card it will shine.

Yeah, but don't forget the card is about three weeks away from release - SLI shines pretty brightly now, so I wouldn't be surprised if the issues were picked up on before Jan 8th. :)
DarkLord7854 18th December 2008, 16:15 Quote
From the early review, looks like they shoulda called it the GTX270
Goty 18th December 2008, 16:15 Quote
Bring on the HD4870X2 pricecuts!

Reading a few of the other comments (here and elsewhere), I get the impression that people have the same feeling this time around about the GTX295 as they did at the launch of the GTX280. There's a definite feeling of, "that's it? Why isn't it faster," even though it looks to perform right where it should in terms of other hardware. It's definitely not the 4870X2 killer people wanted to be and just leaves another gaping opening for ATI when they release RV775XT.
rewind 18th December 2008, 16:34 Quote
Maybe this will be able to run GTA4 on any setting higher than medium or view distance more than 35%
The Jambo 18th December 2008, 16:40 Quote
Am i right in seeing the Crysis DX10 framerate dropping to 3fps!?
Tim S 18th December 2008, 16:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jambo
Am i right in seeing the Crysis DX10 framerate dropping to 3fps!?

At 2560 x 1600 with 2xAA, yes. :)
Tim S 18th December 2008, 16:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewind
Maybe this will be able to run GTA4 on any setting higher than medium or view distance more than 35%

GTA IV is pretty CPU limited IMO. :)
StephenK 18th December 2008, 16:46 Quote
Dear Santa....
barrkel 18th December 2008, 16:47 Quote
What's so beloved about this damned pound? :) As an Irishman working in London (but for an American firm), I'm seeing the value of my GBP savings drop by the day! On the other hand, my EUR savings are appreciating relative to my cost base, so it's not all bad...
thefriscokid 18th December 2008, 16:48 Quote
Is this card the same length as a 280 or longer?
Tim S 18th December 2008, 16:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefriscokid
Is this card the same length as a 280 or longer?

It's exactly the same length. Sorry I didn't make it clear.
djDEATH 18th December 2008, 17:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewind
Maybe this will be able to run GTA4 on any setting higher than medium or view distance more than 35%

GTA IV is pretty CPU limited IMO. :)

absolutely, i can run on medium settings and 35% draw distance with my 8800GT, its my Athlon X2 that lets me down.
Bauul 18th December 2008, 17:02 Quote
All credit to nVidia for launching a card that bests the 4870 X2, but for a lot of song and dance that you know will accompany it, it doesn't exactly do it convincingly. How long has the 4870X2 been out now? Over 4 months? It'll be nearly 5 when this launches. It's good and all but there's a bit of me that's thinking it's a bit of too little too late to really impress anyone?
bjrcboy 18th December 2008, 17:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul
All credit to nVidia for launching a card that bests the 4870 X2, but for a lot of song and dance that you know will accompany it, it doesn't exactly do it convincingly. How long has the 4870X2 been out now? Over 4 months? It'll be nearly 5 when this launches. It's good and all but there's a bit of me that's thinking it's a bit of too little too late to really impress anyone?

Frankly I wouldn't have been impressed a few months ago. I don't like these sli on a single card gpu's. If they would have released a new single card then I would have been impressed.

(Shitty writing sorry, early, no coffee)
StephenK 18th December 2008, 17:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrkel
What's so beloved about this damned pound? :) As an Irishman working in London (but for an American firm), I'm seeing the value of my GBP savings drop by the day! On the other hand, my EUR savings are appreciating relative to my cost base, so it's not all bad...

Yeah, its gas here (Ireland). People are heading up north to do their xmas shopping caus it's cheaper to buy in stg than in euros. Best. Recession. Ever!
wuyanxu 18th December 2008, 17:41 Quote
even with a Intel i7, this GPU still cannot max GTA4, it doesn't ahve 1792MB vRAM, it's got 896MB vRAM mirrored.

overkill, and to think you can't use all 480 processors to do CUDA or Folding (has to disable SLi), it's just fail.

on another note though, how's the gtx285 or what about the new gtx260 55nm? i heard they are doing a silent launch, where gtx260 55nm will slowly replace 65nm versions, just like Intel tryed with q6600 G0.
Tim S 18th December 2008, 17:45 Quote
I think you should be able to fold on both GPUs, since you can do that with the 9800 GX2. :)
Redbeaver 18th December 2008, 17:52 Quote
so.... 2 of these in SLI would make Quad-SLI? :D (like 2x 9800GX2 before...)

to ATI: burn, baby, burn!
mclintox 18th December 2008, 18:00 Quote
It's certainly a chunky monkey with a price to match.And judging by the current strength of the pound,we'll be paying through the nose for it!
Goty 18th December 2008, 18:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj12
this is suffering from the same issues as the 9800GX2 did, poor drivers. Once there are decent drivers for the card it will shine.

If it was being held back by driver issues we'd probably see much less consistent performance than even this. Also, the specs put the 295 right behind a pair of 280s in SLI and that's pretty much exactly where it performs. Nope, I don't think drivers are going to help this one too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeaver
so.... 2 of these in SLI would make Quad-SLI? :D (like 2x 9800GX2 before...)

to ATI: burn, baby, burn!

Need I remind you the neither SLI nor crossfire scale well past two cards and basically don't scale at all past three?
Floyd 18th December 2008, 18:28 Quote
Id rather get 2, 280s and call it a day.
knuck 18th December 2008, 18:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by djDEATH
absolutely, i can run on medium settings and 35% draw distance with my 8800GT, its my Athlon X2 that lets me down.

which is not surprising since it's a console game ... (see sig)
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums