bit-tech.net

ATI Radeon X700 vs The Midrange

Comments 1 to 11 of 11

Reply
Tim S 21st September 2004, 15:04 Quote
HIS have announced their X700 PRO iCooler

you can check out the product specification here.

It's interesting to see that they're moving right away from the rather noisy reference cooler that is seen in our X700 XT review - it should be interesting to see how quiet the iCooler is, as HIS are normally very conscious of noise. We'll try our best to get one of these in the labs for review over the next month or so.
Murdoc 21st September 2004, 15:41 Quote
Back to their old logo?

I have prob missed something, haven't read the article yet though...

'doc
Rys 21st September 2004, 15:44 Quote
Excellent article mate :) My only quibble is in your description of 6600 GT, where you say it's a basic 4x2 card due to the ROP count. It's still 8x1 at all times, just it can't output more than four per clock in the ROPs. The number of texture units per render pipe, and the basic render pipe count and setup doesn't change. 8x1 always ;)

Great stuff though, especially given the time we had with that board!

Rys
Tim S 21st September 2004, 16:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys
Excellent article mate :) My only quibble is in your description of 6600 GT, where you say it's a basic 4x2 card due to the ROP count. It's still 8x1 at all times, just it can't output more than four per clock in the ROPs. The number of texture units per render pipe, and the basic render pipe count and setup doesn't change. 8x1 always ;)

Great stuff though, especially given the time we had with that board!

Rys

Thanks Rys - I have to say that it's a bit of a shame that there were so few boards going around the country (they didn't introduce the second one until Sunday, apparently) :)

Time with the X700 XT was tight, but not quite as tight as the time I had to bench the 9800 XT and 9800 PRO - they arrived at 7:30pm last night. Or rather, I picked them up at 7:30pm from my local City Link depot. Never trust a courier to deliver... :|

I stated that the 6600GT is a hybrid 8x1/4x2 configuration. It's not quite either, because of the fact that it only writes four pixels per clock when the core is processing single textures and fog/layering effects - it essentially processes these in a 4x2 configuration. This is the reason why I've stated that it's a hybrid 8x1/4x2 core design. :)
woodshop 22nd September 2004, 07:18 Quote
Hey nice job again!

I think i'll be nit pickey though and throw this out for the dogs.
anandtech's
review puts the x700xt @ a lower FPS then you did @ 2xAA 8xAF

then again i'm just trying to find things wrong in the worlds atm becouse i'm in a bad mood
-EVRE- 22nd September 2004, 07:33 Quote
I would like to have seen how it compared to its bigger brother the x800/xt/pro

Good review though... WHERE IS MY PCIX FOR AMD :(
WilHarris 22nd September 2004, 09:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by -EVRE-
I would like to have seen how it compared to its bigger brother the x800/xt/pro

Good review though... WHERE IS MY PCIX FOR AMD :(

Come back on Friday :P
Tim S 22nd September 2004, 11:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodshop
Hey nice job again!

I think i'll be nit pickey though and throw this out for the dogs.
anandtech's
review puts the x700xt @ a lower FPS then you did @ 2xAA 8xAF

then again i'm just trying to find things wrong in the worlds atm becouse i'm in a bad mood

They're using the built in time demo as far as I know... where as I'm actually playing through a section of a level (several times to get an average frame rate) using god mode.
Tim S 22nd September 2004, 11:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by -EVRE-
I would like to have seen how it compared to its bigger brother the x800/xt/pro

Good review though... WHERE IS MY PCIX FOR AMD :(

http://bit-tech.net/review/325

I compared Radeon 9800 XT / GeForceFX 5950Ultra to the Radeon X800 PRO... it's about 75% faster in most titles. So I would estimate that the X800 PRO is about 65-75% faster the X700 XT.
Rys 22nd September 2004, 21:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigz
Thanks Rys - I have to say that it's a bit of a shame that there were so few boards going around the country (they didn't introduce the second one until Sunday, apparently) :)

Time with the X700 XT was tight, but not quite as tight as the time I had to bench the 9800 XT and 9800 PRO - they arrived at 7:30pm last night. Or rather, I picked them up at 7:30pm from my local City Link depot. Never trust a courier to deliver... :|

I stated that the 6600GT is a hybrid 8x1/4x2 configuration. It's not quite either, because of the fact that it only writes four pixels per clock when the core is processing single textures and fog/layering effects - it essentially processes these in a 4x2 configuration. This is the reason why I've stated that it's a hybrid 8x1/4x2 core design. :)

Yeah, the board we played with was very last minute. Tut tut ATI, it was pretty poor. Nice jolly in London for me though

Didn't realise it could use two texture units per pixel in fixed function mode, you learn something new every day!

Nice review on the HIS as well today. I looked at the non VIVO version recently for a budget roundup and it was top of the pile. Not bad if you're on a budget I spose.

Keep up the good work, I'll hang around the forums a bit more

Rys
Tim S 22nd September 2004, 21:58 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys
Didn't realise it could use two texture units per pixel in fixed function mode, you learn something new every day!

Nice review on the HIS as well today. I looked at the non VIVO version recently for a budget roundup and it was top of the pile. Not bad if you're on a budget I spose.

Keep up the good work, I'll hang around the forums a bit more

Rys

Good to hear, glad to have you around the forums! ;)
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums