bit-tech.net

How to Overclock Sandy Bridge E

Comments 1 to 25 of 26

Reply
Omnituens 20th September 2011, 09:16 Quote
Seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot with only having the top chip unlocked - maybe they plan to do that "DLC for your processor" shite again :/
MjFrosty 20th September 2011, 09:26 Quote
*bookmarked*


:)
Blackshark 20th September 2011, 09:48 Quote
Nice and simple overclocking nowadays, not like when I was a lad.... he he. Wasn't life easy in the past? these poor younguns nowadays. So many numbers and mulitpliers to think about, no wonder I feel like an old man at the age of 34
Snips 20th September 2011, 10:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshark
Nice and simple overclocking nowadays, not like when I was a lad.... he he. Wasn't life easy in the past? these poor younguns nowadays. So many numbers and mulitpliers to think about, no wonder I feel like an old man at the age of 34

Yeah, all we had was a turbo button on the front of the case. AND WE WERE THANKFUL FOR IT!!!!
GuilleAcoustic 20th September 2011, 10:39 Quote
Turbo button, jumpers on the mobo to set FSB and multi, IRQs and DMAs ... Remember having only 1 free IRQ while my new sound cards needed 2 ... had to disable 1 serial port.

And playing with the autoexec.bat and config.sys to free some more conventionnal memory to enable both voice and midi music in Day of the Tentacles xD.

And the bios battery soldered to the motherboard :(
Claave 20th September 2011, 11:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnituens
Seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot with only having the top chip unlocked - maybe they plan to do that "DLC for your processor" shite again :/

have you even read the article? It's mainly about how Intel has managed to re-introduce Base Clock overclocking via a CPU multiplier/gearing ratio. Therefore you should be able to overclock any Sandy Bridge E CPU fairly heavily, even the multiplier-locked flavours.

:S
damien c 20th September 2011, 11:49 Quote
Overclocking is fun now I think it's more of a challenge except with sandy bridge.

If I remember correctly and someone may say yes or no but wasn't it the old AMD cpu's that you used a pencil to join some contact's or something and that overclocked the cpu, I am sure that I did that when I was about 10 year's old.

Still not sure about sandy bridge e though yet will wait till places like this get to benchmark them and the guy from OC3D get's hold of one to overclock it.
Siwini 20th September 2011, 11:58 Quote
Wow thats messed up. I don't like this...Anyway in your formula 1) 5,000 ÷ 1.66 = 3,012 2) 3,012 ÷ 100 = 30.012 3) 3,012 ÷ 30 = 100.4. Did you mean 30.012 or 3,012 (step3)? I'm little confused there.
Madness_3d 20th September 2011, 12:17 Quote
step 1 is speed before multiplier (1.66x)
step 2 is calullating the multiplier based on a 100Mhz base clock
step 3 is proving the 30x multiplier works and produces a 100Mhz base clock

so 100x1.66 =166MHz x30 = 4980Mhz

edit: so to do this overclock aren't you going to need ram that will do 1770Mhz?
166x10.66=1770Mhz
GuilleAcoustic 20th September 2011, 12:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c
Overclocking is fun now I think it's more of a challenge except with sandy bridge.

If I remember correctly and someone may say yes or no but wasn't it the old AMD cpu's that you used a pencil to join some contact's or something and that overclocked the cpu, I am sure that I did that when I was about 10 year's old.

Still not sure about sandy bridge e though yet will wait till places like this get to benchmark them and the guy from OC3D get's hold of one to overclock it.

Did that too, but not sure about the CPU model and brand.
Bindibadgi 20th September 2011, 13:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic
Did that too, but not sure about the CPU model and brand.

Athlon and Duron socket A.

http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/41_1.html
Claave 20th September 2011, 13:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness_3d
step 1 is speed before multiplier (1.66x)
step 2 is calullating the multiplier based on a 100Mhz base clock
step 3 is proving the 30x multiplier works and produces a 100Mhz base clock

so 100x1.66 =166MHz x30 = 4980Mhz

edit: so to do this overclock aren't you going to need ram that will do 1770Mhz?
166x10.66=1770Mhz

Hmm, good point. As you can see in the first screenshot, the memory is running at 2,218MHz with an 18.66x multiplier. 1.25 x 95.08 x 18.66 = 2,218, so clearly the memory speed is derived from the geared up CPU Clock rather than the System Clock. In fact, that's such a good point that I'll add it into the article itself.

Have some rep for your awesome cleverness!
Madness_3d 20th September 2011, 13:17 Quote
"for being awesomely clever at overclocking things that don't exist yet!"

Love it :)

I'll cross my fingers for that 8x multiplier :)
Th3Maverick 20th September 2011, 13:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic
Turbo button, jumpers on the mobo to set FSB and multi, IRQs and DMAs ... Remember having only 1 free IRQ while my new sound cards needed 2 ... had to disable 1 serial port.

And playing with the autoexec.bat and config.sys to free some more conventionnal memory to enable both voice and midi music in Day of the Tentacles xD.

And the bios battery soldered to the motherboard :(

Heh...I still remember going in to my town's tiny local computer shop with two weeks' allowance to buy that game--they were the only ones in town that sold games. And I think that was the same day I saw my first 100Mhz computer, and my computer-savvy friend said that it was impossible, that those clock speeds would melt a processor.

Then I proudly tore open the CD packaging with my teeth, tossed it in my CD caddy, and spent the next three days trying to get it to recognize my off-brand soundblaster card. Ahhhhhh...those were the days.
xxxsonic1971 20th September 2011, 14:15 Quote
i'm not getting rid of my i7 920 just yet.....
Floyd 20th September 2011, 14:43 Quote
My 2500k at 4.6 is good for a few more years still :)
Heck I still have 2 Q6600's in the house.
Bauul 20th September 2011, 15:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic
And playing with the autoexec.bat and config.sys to free some more conventionnal memory to enable both voice and midi music in Day of the Tentacles xD.

I must have spent days trying to get the voices to work on the old LucasArts adventure games.

In the end the only consistent solution I found was to tell the games I had a completely different soundcard from the one I did, and in a socket that there wasn't anything in. Then it worked perfectly.
pingu666 20th September 2011, 21:02 Quote
so in other words intel has made overclocking as easy to understand as there naming scheme.
confusis 20th September 2011, 21:29 Quote
Overclock SB-E
Step 1 - Work out numerous values, hoping your math is correct, consider memory clock limit
Step 2- Enter values into bios
Step 3 - Test, hope it works, repeat until CPU limit or your own limit is reached

Overclock Phenom II (before I get flamed, I realise this is an older architecture, slower, etc blahblah)
Black edition:
Step 1: Increase Multiplier slowly, adding voltage as needed to keep stable
Step 2: Test, hope it works, repeat until CPU limit or your own limit is reached

Non Black:
Step 1: Increase FSB, watch memory and HT clocks, downgrade their multis as appropriate, add volts as needed
Step 2: Test, hope it works, repeat until CPU limit or your own limit is reached

Having just unlocked and overclocked a Phenom II 555BE I know which one I prefer
(555be, unlocked to quad core, overclocked to 3.6 with no voltage boost. Added some juice, now sitting pretty at 4ghz under a lower end air cooler)
thehippoz 21st September 2011, 01:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic
Turbo button, jumpers on the mobo to set FSB and multi, IRQs and DMAs ... Remember having only 1 free IRQ while my new sound cards needed 2 ... had to disable 1 serial port.

And playing with the autoexec.bat and config.sys to free some more conventionnal memory to enable both voice and midi music in Day of the Tentacles xD.

And the bios battery soldered to the motherboard :(

hehe this.. assigning irq and dma was fun when you had a lot of hardware in- especially sound cards
Tangster 21st September 2011, 05:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusis
Overclock SB-E
Step 1 - Work out numerous values, hoping your math is correct, consider memory clock limit
Step 2- Enter values into bios
Step 3 - Test, hope it works, repeat until CPU limit or your own limit is reached

Overclock Phenom II (before I get flamed, I realise this is an older architecture, slower, etc blahblah)
Black edition:
Step 1: Increase Multiplier slowly, adding voltage as needed to keep stable
Step 2: Test, hope it works, repeat until CPU limit or your own limit is reached

Non Black:
Step 1: Increase FSB, watch memory and HT clocks, downgrade their multis as appropriate, add volts as needed
Step 2: Test, hope it works, repeat until CPU limit or your own limit is reached

Having just unlocked and overclocked a Phenom II 555BE I know which one I prefer
(555be, unlocked to quad core, overclocked to 3.6 with no voltage boost. Added some juice, now sitting pretty at 4ghz under a lower end air cooler)

Sadly it's probably going to the SB-E, leave at stock, run benchmarks. Be amazed that it's faster than 4GHz Phenom.
confusis 21st September 2011, 07:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusis
Overclock SB-E
Step 1 - Work out numerous values, hoping your math is correct, consider memory clock limit
Step 2- Enter values into bios
Step 3 - Test, hope it works, repeat until CPU limit or your own limit is reached

Overclock Phenom II (before I get flamed, I realise this is an older architecture, slower, etc blahblah)
Black edition:
Step 1: Increase Multiplier slowly, adding voltage as needed to keep stable
Step 2: Test, hope it works, repeat until CPU limit or your own limit is reached

Non Black:
Step 1: Increase FSB, watch memory and HT clocks, downgrade their multis as appropriate, add volts as needed
Step 2: Test, hope it works, repeat until CPU limit or your own limit is reached

Having just unlocked and overclocked a Phenom II 555BE I know which one I prefer
(555be, unlocked to quad core, overclocked to 3.6 with no voltage boost. Added some juice, now sitting pretty at 4ghz under a lower end air cooler)

Sadly it's probably going to the SB-E, leave at stock, run benchmarks. Be amazed that it's faster than 4GHz Phenom.

And have a socket that is defunct by easter
Tangster 22nd September 2011, 01:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusis
And have a socket that is defunct by easter

I'll bet you're right. Even if intel uses 2011/1155 for Ivy Bridge the power wiring will probably be incompatible. Darn lack of competition, Bulldozer had better be awesome.
Bindibadgi 22nd September 2011, 03:44 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusis
Overclock SB-E
Step 1 - Work out numerous values, hoping your math is correct, consider memory clock limit
Step 2- Enter values into bios
Step 3 - Test, hope it works, repeat until CPU limit or your own limit is reached

AFAIK our UEFI helps you work it out so there's no guessing.

We'll have our own OC guides to explain our own features too (and I'm sure CPC will have more specific ones in the future too) :D

And 2011 like 1366 should be another 3 year socket.
Claave 23rd September 2011, 12:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster
I'll bet you're right. Even if intel uses 2011/1155 for Ivy Bridge the power wiring will probably be incompatible. Darn lack of competition, Bulldozer had better be awesome.

Ivy Bridge is confirmed for LGA1155, but I wouldn't rule out Ivy Bridge E coming to LGA2011 in 2012/2013 - it would be (if it comes into existence) the same architecture but a smaller manufacturing process, so it really should be totally compatible with LGA2011 just as Ivy Bridge is with Sandy Bridge's LGA1155.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
AFAIK our UEFI helps you work it out so there's no guessing.

Thank heavens, those 1.66x and 1.25x multipliers are really tricky to guesstimate!
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums