bit-tech.net

Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition Review

Comments 1 to 25 of 38

Reply
faugusztin 23rd March 2011, 08:12 Quote
Pointless CPU is pointless :).
Ferrero94 23rd March 2011, 08:18 Quote
^ agreed ^_^
docodine 23rd March 2011, 08:22 Quote
Why does the chip say '09 and ES on it? Just a stock image?
mi1ez 23rd March 2011, 08:31 Quote
meh
Bindibadgi 23rd March 2011, 08:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by docodine
Why does the chip say '09 and ES on it? Just a stock image?

ES just means Intel still owns it and it's from a non-retail batch - standard Intel fair for media. '09 because it's a 32nm Westmere chip and the tech inside was patented/registered last year. AMD's probably still says '03...
Kingsley813 23rd March 2011, 09:11 Quote
Lol, I read the Cinebench graph and stopped at everything else. What a waste of time. A £700+ CPU beaten by an overclocked 2600K. :D
perplekks45 23rd March 2011, 10:22 Quote
Just makes the 2500K/2600K look like even better value for money. In the consumer market, mind you. For professionals who need as many threads as possible 980X/990X will still be the 1st choice.
samkiller42 23rd March 2011, 10:55 Quote
Yet another pointless review on something 99% of readers won't buy.

Sam
Pete J 23rd March 2011, 11:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by samkiller42
Yet another pointless review on something 99% of readers won't buy.

Sam

So? I imagine most reader are still interested in its performance. By your logic, BT shouldn't review anything costing over, say, £200.
mi1ez 23rd March 2011, 11:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J
So? I imagine most reader are still interested in its performance. By your logic, BT shouldn't review anything costing over, say, £200.

+1

I still want to know about these products, even if I would never get one. My real beef is with this chips mere existence!
Denis_iii 23rd March 2011, 12:34 Quote
when will x68 chipset and next gen cpu's be released?!
faugusztin 23rd March 2011, 12:38 Quote
AFAIK it's H2/2011, that means anywhere between june and december :).
logan'srun 23rd March 2011, 12:41 Quote
hmm, I could have sworn I saw a leaked roadmap yesterday that said Q4??
faugusztin 23rd March 2011, 12:58 Quote
That is technically still H2 :). And sorry for not being up to date to yesteday leaks.
Jipa 23rd March 2011, 13:45 Quote
I just thought of something.. Just how fast could I write a 990X review. Start the timer:

"It's the single fastest CPU at the moment and costs way too much to make any sense."

There, 10 seconds, off to get some more coffee. Though I must admit it makes the sandybridges look really good.
Claave 23rd March 2011, 14:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipa
I just thought of something.. Just how fast could I write a 990X review. Start the timer:

"It's the single fastest CPU at the moment and costs way too much to make any sense."

There, 10 seconds, off to get some more coffee. Though I must admit it makes the sandybridges look really good.

And an Intel rep will then ask you what evidence you have for your opinion, and when you say 'none' will demand you pull your content and then possibly sue you. :b
borandi 23rd March 2011, 14:28 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by samkiller42
Yet another pointless review on something 99% of readers won't buy.

Sam

That's like telling Top Gear not to review anything over £25k.
Kúsař 23rd March 2011, 14:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
Quote:
Originally Posted by docodine
Why does the chip say '09 and ES on it? Just a stock image?

ES just means Intel still owns it and it's from a non-retail batch - standard Intel fair for media...

Engineering Sample it is! Don't return this chip, CPU collectors will pay twice it's current price for it, just 10 years later :D
faugusztin 23rd March 2011, 14:57 Quote
Kúsař, what part of "It is still Intel property" is hard to understand.
Hakuren 23rd March 2011, 14:59 Quote
X68/78 (Patsburg) will be released around Q4 2011 - Q1 2012. Previous CPU releases from Intel usually started in November.

990X is pretty much useless now because of:
- for home there is LGA1155 for those who don't want to wait or are not interested in LGA2011
- price is atrocious even for serious business & industry
- Patsburg will come as standard [probably] with minimum 6 cores (12 HT) and 8/16 for top of the line models - depends on a source

It is better to start saving $$$ now for all-brand-new-spanking-system around December/January than investing in i7 X-series. In truth that 990X BT acquired looks like it is some relatively poor one. On many sites 990X running stable at 5GHz on air.
sWW 23rd March 2011, 15:08 Quote
Bargain! Could build an entire gaming PC for the same price as this CPU ^^
crlyhair 23rd March 2011, 15:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipa
I just thought of something.. Just how fast could I write a 990X review. Start the timer:

"It's the single fastest CPU at the moment and costs way too much to make any sense."

There, 10 seconds, off to get some more coffee. Though I must admit it makes the sandybridges look really good.

Best. Review. Ever
tristanperry 23rd March 2011, 15:58 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J
So? I imagine most reader are still interested in its performance. By your logic, BT shouldn't review anything costing over, say, £200.
+2

I wouldn't buy this CPU, but I'm happy that BT review this and similar items.
Kúsař 23rd March 2011, 16:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin
Kúsař, what part of "It is still Intel property" is hard to understand.

Just kidding - write ES on some random CPU and pretend its real and send it back, maybe they won't notice anything...well, forget it.
Tech NoOb 23rd March 2011, 16:33 Quote
People who work in video editing and thread intensive programs would probably buy this chip.

I think it's interesting to see how the top chip performs to our 'regular' versions.

Of course we could wait for AMD bulldozer and the 2011 i7 'rumoured' replacement and then whine about that too ;) I mean critically evaluate.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums