AMD's AM2: Athlon 64 FX-62 & X2 5000+

kingabs 23rd May 2006, 11:44 Quote
cant wait to get my hands on the new AM2 rig it will be good benchmarking
Neoki 23rd May 2006, 11:44 Quote
I will wait until the next bunch of AMD's or conroe
Cthippo 23rd May 2006, 12:12 Quote
I notice nothing was said about AM2 Opterons. Is AMD staying witrh s940 for their server line? Personally, I'm very happy with my dual 940 Mobo, but I hope AM2 will drive down the price on late model dual core Opteron 2xx's
TheoGeo 23rd May 2006, 12:35 Quote
interesting article, i agree with waiting untill conroe is released though. that should make things very interesting

I think i found a mistake on the last page.
On AMD, those processors cost £212 and £452 - so you're paying a premium for the new socket and the DDR2 controller.
shouldn't that say "On AM2"?
Lazlow 23rd May 2006, 12:37 Quote
Looks like AM2 it is then for my next rig. I was all set for 939, as they have dropped £20 in the last few weeks already.
Krikkit 23rd May 2006, 12:54 Quote
It's looking like a fairly reasonable perf. jump to AM2 then, which is good news for AMD, but will it be enough to oust a Conroe rig? We've all (probably) seen the thread down in Hardware from XS, a Conroe getting a 10-second superpi, but can it hold up when the cache doesn't cover the whole thread? Only time will tell.

[edit] It's also worth noting that a 3000+ will be on AM2.
Lo Pan 23rd May 2006, 13:30 Quote
I think Conroe is going to die to this new socket. The Core Duo "pre-Conroe" chips only beat AM2 when overclocked...and this is the first core that came out as well. If AMD also moved to higher clock speeds like they announced....I'm calling AMD for now.
Kaboom22 23rd May 2006, 13:41 Quote
Originally Posted by Cthippo

QFT, i was also hopeing for some information on opterons for the same reason (same board )
perplekks45 23rd May 2006, 14:04 Quote
Well... so this didn't impress me much. It's what I thought AMD will bring us: The best non-oc chip on the market at the day it's launched. Conroe might have a chance to beat AMD's CPUs but actually as an AMD fan boy I don't really think/hope.
What really sucks is the fact that all single-cores are 512kb only.
Well, at the time I'm able to get my hands on AM2 there won't be any single core CPUs on the market anymore. :)
MiNiMaL_FuSS 23rd May 2006, 14:21 Quote
Are we expecting much of a price drop om 939 when AM2 establishes itself?
Morpheon 23rd May 2006, 14:27 Quote
ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I am practically an AMD fanboy but this was just as boring as it gets....but I am quietly happy because now I don't feel compelled to upgrade my 6 month old X2 @ 2.8
MrABC 23rd May 2006, 14:46 Quote
From the benchmarks i've seen of conroe, I don't think AM2 will beat it purely because conroe is far more efficient.
AMD did release some details about their next major core change (the K8L) but it won't come until they move to 65nm, which will be by end of this year (makes sense I suppose).
As for the AM2 Opterons, they will actually be on a new socket, Socket F. I don't know if AM2 or F are pin-compatible but I will guess that they won't be.
Drexial 23rd May 2006, 15:26 Quote
Socket F is only for the 2xx Opterons, just like they are on 940 pin now. they will be on a 1207 pin socket F

the 1xx opterons will be available onthe AM2 socket

then for the first time, AMDs mobile processors will be on a different socet, which means no more just dropping a mobile processor into your motherboard and overclocking the crap out of it. the socket S1 will have 638 pins for the turion X2, which will as well suport DDR2. havent heard any news on it since it was anounced, so i dont know about desktop boards comming with it.
bubsterboo 23rd May 2006, 15:43 Quote
Hopping to see a price drop with the 939 amd models :D
eddtox 23rd May 2006, 17:02 Quote
Looks like waiting till 2007 to upgrade is the smartest move. Hopefully by then both the Intel and the AMD cores will be fully launched and tested against each other. I'm not a fan either way- i'll get the best performer/overclocker in my price range.

-ed out
Da Dego 23rd May 2006, 17:25 Quote
As many have said here, I think I'll hold out til the final figures come in on the conroe and the next gen AM2s. I don't see enough here to pull me from my X2 4200+.
IanW 23rd May 2006, 18:18 Quote
I think I'll wait a while for AM2, especially after reading this.
Cobalt 23rd May 2006, 18:51 Quote
That was also mentioned in this article and its not too bad if you OC anyway.

Socket F is LGA which should be interesting to see how AMD does it but its not of much importance to me.
mikeuk2004 23rd May 2006, 19:35 Quote
Wondered how long it be before bit tech did a review, while me eyes glared at the images on overlockers. Waited ages :P

Nice one guys
atanum141 23rd May 2006, 20:47 Quote
Personally i cant understand why the majority of you guys who are allready on 939 would want a small change? personally this is fantastic news for me and others who stuck to the good old Socket A(long live Skt A!!). Todays release shows AMD are still have what it takes to stick it to Intel, Also not only that i love the idea of the whole lineup is being catered for.

I love the idea of having a AM2 Sempron or single core A64 then upgrade to a beefy X2 cpu when i get more money!.The 754/939 difference was too great and costly to jump ships to the then newer socket of choice 939.

I think what i personally would want to see is the memory prices being lowered rather quickly, i want lots of ram at fast speeds with minimal cost....i hope this new gen of mem will do the trick.

I will wait for Conroe but as they say it aint over till the fat lady sings!.
LVMike 23rd May 2006, 22:56 Quote
Im a little disapointed. The guys over at XtremeSystems found a cold bug in the fx-62 at -40C. I was hoping that amd would have fixed that.

Its going to be hard to decided what chip to upgrade to this summer....
Fozzy 23rd May 2006, 23:13 Quote
seems to me that it's exactly the same only with ddr2. I'm gonna buya a 3800x2 when prices drop then in about a year I'll upgrade the whole system. I dont think it's worth the switch just yet. Maybe after some development time.
DougEdey 24th May 2006, 00:01 Quote
i wanna see OC results :(
morbo 24th May 2006, 00:22 Quote
So end of life for 939 implies that we(current 939 users) won't get any more
goodies like virtualization unless we switch to AM2. Dual core of course is
available with FX-60 939.

I suppose they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they back fill missing features in
earlier designs. Better for them to foster complete upgrades than tuneups.

H.
specofdust 24th May 2006, 00:52 Quote
So far, for me(I feel all dirty if I don't overclock) the conroe looks like better value for money. Aparently good DDR ram can be very expensive, but then, AM2 uses DDR2 doesn't it, so the fact that Intels chips are performing better then AMD's chips that cost £400 more, well, Intel swings it.

edit: Also, it's bloody typical. Prices for skt 939 gear will I presume drop in a few weeks. Which is a few weeks after I have to buy a brand new mobo. Trust a huge company to make me miss price drops by a matter of weeks :(