bit-tech.net

Intel's Core Duo meets the desktop

Comments 1 to 25 of 38

Reply
DeX 19th May 2006, 16:55 Quote
Anyway, if this Core Duo thing doesn't actually use the Core microarchitecture then what does it use? What makes it perform so well? Is it just the 65mm die size?
Highland3r 19th May 2006, 16:58 Quote
Afaik, its Pentium M arc with a slightly shorter pipe length(?) dual core and shared cache :)
ashikamlani 19th May 2006, 17:00 Quote
this is a sign of the possible performance of Conroe
specofdust 19th May 2006, 17:00 Quote
An even shorter pipeline? Bloody nora, this things going to rawk in games, and suck poop in things like video encoding. If the pipeline is even shorter, not even a second core is going to make up the performance in things like video encoding.
Tim S 19th May 2006, 17:11 Quote
Ooops, I forgot to add the forum link to the article after publishing :o
Quote:
Originally Posted by specofdust
An even shorter pipeline? Bloody nora, this things going to rawk in games, and suck poop in things like video encoding. If the pipeline is even shorter, not even a second core is going to make up the performance in things like video encoding.
But it clearly performs well in Video Encoding and beats K8 clock-for-clock, as demonstrated :?

http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/intel_core_duo_t2600_on_the_desktop/xvid-encode.png
DeX 19th May 2006, 17:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by specofdust
An even shorter pipeline? Bloody nora, this things going to rawk in games, and suck poop in things like video encoding. If the pipeline is even shorter, not even a second core is going to make up the performance in things like video encoding.

Well it seemed pretty quick in the XviD test to me.

So if this is just an improved Pentium M then how much better Conroe be? When will we get to find out?
Da Dego 19th May 2006, 17:13 Quote
Hmmmm... the shared cache poses security risks for anyone planning on running this in any type of 'server' style environment.

The power features are NICE....

Price is comparable. I would have liked to see it a bit cheaper. :( Still, a very nice offering as an intermediate step over to Conroe.
Tim S 19th May 2006, 17:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Dego
Price is comparable. I would have liked to see it a bit cheaper. :( Still, a very nice offering as an intermediate step over to Conroe.
It's due for a price drop very soon, according to the link to TechReport on the final page. ;)

$637 to $423...
Tim S 19th May 2006, 17:23 Quote
Yonah is a modified Dothan, simply put. It solves many of the shortcomings in the Dothan architecture, while improving many other areas too. There are still some issues though, as mentioned in the article. Some SSE2 instructions have been optimised and run around 30% faster. There is also the inclusion of the thirteen SSE3 instructions, and the chip has the ability of instruction grouping in order to improve performance further.

Hopefully this explains why the performance is so good. :)
Highland3r 19th May 2006, 17:27 Quote
Shared cache also hurts multithreaded performance on this CPU, not a huge amount but its noticable.
One major advantage of Yonah is that its pin compatible with Merom, so its a case of out with the old in with the new! For those people who go the Yonah root for whatever reason, its an easy upgrade to coroe esq performance.

Conroe's looking to be mighty, still can't help but feel it'll be weak in the same areas as yonah/"dothan" are though, however until official benchies are out thats just speculation...
Hoping to get a Dothan vs Yonah vs X2 vs Opty/SC A64 compare done in the near future, will be interesting to see the results....
specofdust 19th May 2006, 17:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigz
Ooops, I forgot to add the forum link to the article after publishing :o


But it clearly performs well in Video Encoding and beats K8 clock-for-clock, as demonstrated :?

Woops, so it does, that's curious, but very impressive. Must finish reading articles before posting comments on the CPU's they're about
rupbert 19th May 2006, 17:47 Quote
Are people going to buy this over the soon to be released Conroe? Is the Conroe going to be that much more expensive?
Tim S 19th May 2006, 17:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupbert
Are people going to buy this over the soon to be released Conroe? Is the Conroe going to be that much more expensive?
Well, rumours suggest that you can stick a Merom in the AOpen board with a BIOS flash... I can't remember where I saw that though.
Highland3r 19th May 2006, 18:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigz
Well, rumours suggest that you can stick a Merom in the AOpen board with a BIOS flash... I can't remember where I saw that though.

Yup you can :) theres compatible bioses floating about now
Ramble 19th May 2006, 18:50 Quote
Interesting results. I may have to go for a Conroe when it debuts.

I especially like the overclockability, my chip seems to hit 2.6 and die above that, which sucks a little.
Wrigley1 19th May 2006, 20:21 Quote
It's worth noting that these have been in Macs for a while now, so it's not as if this is the debut of the processor. It seem like they tested it out in Macs first, and I can tell you, the Core Duo in the iMac is very good at video encoding.
Tim S 19th May 2006, 20:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley1
It's worth noting that these have been in Macs for a while now, so it's not as if this is the debut of the processor. It seem like they tested it out in Macs first, and I can tell you, the Core Duo in the iMac is very good at video encoding.
There's no denying that the Core Duo has been around for a while, but we've been waiting for a decent motherboard to really test the chip in, AOpen's board fits that bill pretty well.
hitman012 19th May 2006, 20:55 Quote
Nice article, shame you didn't have the time to put the chip under phase :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by specofdust
An even shorter pipeline?
I thought these had the same pipeline length as Dothan?
specofdust 19th May 2006, 21:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman012
Nice article, shame you didn't have the time to put the chip under phase :(


I thought these had the same pipeline length as Dothan?

I was just going on what highland3r had said, which was that it was a P-M with a shorter pipeline(he did say afaik though, shoulda looked into it I guess).

Everything I knew about the P-M told me that it wasn't very good at encoding and linear tasks, due to such a short pipeline. I would have thought a further decreased pipeline length would have made the Core Duo downright terrible at encoding videos, and I still find it strange that it's so good.
bixie_62 19th May 2006, 21:10 Quote
flippin 'eck!

i knew/read the yonah/conroe performance was good, but WHOA!!

the only advantage of buying a core duo over a conroe would perhaps be the fact the core duo puts out a lot less heat which may mean more overclocks, but would definetly mean lower power bills!

roll on conroe!
MastershakeJB 19th May 2006, 22:47 Quote
I just read someone's post in here about yonah/dothan having weak points? What are they? Cause from what I've seen all over the web, the yonah and conroe architecture seem to beat EVERYTHING clock for clock.
Tim S 19th May 2006, 23:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastershakeJB
I just read someone's post in here about yonah/dothan having weak points? What are they? Cause from what I've seen all over the web, the yonah and conroe architecture seem to beat EVERYTHING clock for clock.
Yonah and Conroe have a different architecture, but Yonah is a step toward Conroe from Dothan. Dothan and Yonah have poor FPU performance (as demonstrated in the MP3 encoding test) and they both lack 64-bit extensions, too.
chemo 19th May 2006, 23:09 Quote
i just hope the conroe/new intel stuff can perform this much better than any cpu's out now in games
Solidus 19th May 2006, 23:42 Quote
Damn i have no idea what all this talk about smaller pipelines or cache mean :(

Can someone pls explain to me in simple terms? I know its asking allot but im really wanting to find out what you guys are talking about and what it all means :S
Pookeyhead 20th May 2006, 00:09 Quote
Conroe is gonna be soooo good. Imagine... it's everything that yonah is.. with proper FPU performance, and 64bit extensions... I think AMD should be seriously worried.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums