bit-tech.net

Cooler Master Hyper TX2 & 212

Comments 1 to 24 of 24

Reply
Jipa 19th November 2007, 12:22 Quote
Is the mobo really as bent as it shows in this image: http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/2007/11/cooler_master_hyper_tx2_and_212/txmount-7.jpg ? Wouldn't like to see my lovely piece of hardware in such painful looking stance :/
[USRF]Obiwan 19th November 2007, 12:48 Quote
I was just about to post the exactly same comment Jipa. This cant be good!
kosch 19th November 2007, 12:48 Quote
Hmm the 212 looks like they have taken a Tuniq Tower and cut the fins in half and then switched them around.
oddball walking 19th November 2007, 12:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipa
Is the mobo really as bent as it shows in this image: http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/2007/11/cooler_master_hyper_tx2_and_212/txmount-7.jpg ? Wouldn't like to see my lovely piece of hardware in such painful looking stance :/

That can't be healthy, but on the plus side it looks kind of like Darth Vader.
Clocked 19th November 2007, 12:56 Quote
I've noticed the bending before on the boards that get used for heatsink testing - I'd put it down to different tensions on different mountings but if the same board is getting bent like that it's only gonna be a matter of time before it breaks (pics please!)
mrb_no1 19th November 2007, 13:41 Quote
@Jipa, i agree! I like the fact that they are smaller than the scythe range of coolers, i just purchased and installed a scythe ninja and its massive, it has cranked my temps down from when i used the intel stock cooler but i had trouble getting the fan in with my ram, nice to see decent temps can be had with a smaller cooler...and the £10 one, no wonder it was given best value! nice review
Jipa 19th November 2007, 13:44 Quote
But then again.. If you compare the kink on that mobo to the one I saw at Campus Party that's not so big of a deal... However I'd like to point out that whoever made that to the poor mobo on purpose should be punished...
Bindibadgi 19th November 2007, 14:27 Quote
Look how big the graph is and how many heatsink installs I've subjected the same board to! I'll make sure I'll straighten it out in future but I think it's just been flexed too much :o
Jipa 19th November 2007, 14:39 Quote
Bindi: do you reckon it's the pins of the stock 775-cooler that do that or does the same problem appear also with bolt-through mounting? Sure most users change the cooler once or twice, so that's not a big of a deal, but I'm just interested in why mobos do that..
Bindibadgi 19th November 2007, 14:58 Quote
pins mostly - because you have to press from the top without underneath support. With bolts you're meant to tighten opposite ones evenly and stop before it bends.

You can still bend it back easily enough, and if it's screwed in your case firmly it shouldn't bend as much.
OleJ 19th November 2007, 15:54 Quote
You have gotten centimeter and milimeter mixed up on page on 1:
"The build quality is very good and the 90cm sleeve bearing cooling fan is rated at just 22dB. It's designed to draw air in from the sides as well as the front before forcing it inwards - as a result, Cooler Master claims that this gives the effective cooling of a 100cm fan instead."

Should be "mm" not "cm" otherwise that would be some big ass fans ;)
Bindibadgi 19th November 2007, 17:10 Quote
They are big
drakanious 19th November 2007, 17:51 Quote
Yeah, but not 90 CENTImeters--that's huge.
Tyinsar 19th November 2007, 18:37 Quote
90cm that would NOT fit into my case.

Thanks for the reviews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipa
But then again.. If you compare the kink on that mobo to the one I saw at Campus Party that's not so big of a deal... However I'd like to point out that whoever made that to the poor mobo on purpose should be punished...
What was he on when he did that?
Bindibadgi 19th November 2007, 18:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakanious
Yeah, but not 90 CENTImeters--that's huge.

Next weeks review: 90m fan.

Week after: fan guard.. possibly.
SinxarKnights 19th November 2007, 22:49 Quote
I would like to see the temps for the stock Intel and AMD coolers. They are not included in this review or the last one.
christopher3393 20th November 2007, 01:52 Quote
This is the first disappointing review I've read on this site in quite a while. The reviewer needs to take a clear stance on the results and make a clear and intelligent comparison with the selected Noctua Cooler. Muddled as is.
Woodstock 20th November 2007, 05:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipa
But then again.. If you compare the kink on that mobo to the one I saw at Campus Party that's not so big of a deal... However I'd like to point out that whoever made that to the poor mobo on purpose should be punished...

wholly crap, who would purposefully bend a motherboard
Bindibadgi 20th November 2007, 08:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher3393
This is the first disappointing review I've read on this site in quite a while. The reviewer needs to take a clear stance on the results and make a clear and intelligent comparison with the selected Noctua Cooler. Muddled as is.

OK.

There isn't a direct comparison - despite the very similar design, the Noctua is designed for silence and comes with an 800rpm fan, the Cooler Master comes with a 2000rpm fan and has a far greater performance, as well as noise as a result. You can swap out the fans for alternatives, with each other if need be, and they'd probably perform about the same because of it. You don't buy a Noctua expecting ultimate performance, like you don't buy a 212 expecting silence, but both can do either, just not out the box. It doesn't even come with inbuilt fan regulation like you get with the Thermaltakes.

There are too many options to say, "get this, don't get that" because you can do more than just take it out the box and throw it on a CPU.

I personally would not buy the 212 because of the noise, I wouldn't get the Noctua either because it's particularly low slung making it incompatible with a fair few motherboards. I'd still get either Thermaltake or stick with my Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro.
Cupboard 20th November 2007, 09:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocked
I've noticed the bending before on the boards that get used for heatsink testing - I'd put it down to different tensions on different mountings but if the same board is getting bent like that it's only gonna be a matter of time before it breaks (pics please!)

Didn't their last board break because of something like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinxarKnights
I would like to see the temps for the stock Intel and AMD coolers. They are not included in this review or the last one.

Agreed. Though I think that they are taken to be pretty rubbish. It would be nice to see a review of the new one that some with the newer processors.

On a different note, what does lapped mean? You say that it had poor contact in the middle, so does that mean you bent the processor (!) or shaved a bit off the top?
Bindibadgi 20th November 2007, 09:42 Quote
lapping something means sanding it down with a bit of wet n dry fine grit to a flat and polished finish. We took off the poor finish to make a better one.
wharrad 20th November 2007, 21:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupboard
You say that it had poor contact in the middle, so does that mean you bent the processor (!) or shaved a bit off the top?

Ach, some processors aren't completely flat when they're made, same is true for heatsinks... Oh, and as Bindi says, some are scratched....

So lapping levels the whole lot out
Yemerich 20th November 2007, 21:57 Quote
Hehehhehe... It really looks like darth Vader :D
karbonKid 21st November 2007, 02:55 Quote
Quote:
The build quality is very good and the 90mm sleeve bearing cooling fan is rated at just 22dB. It's designed to draw air in from the sides as well as the front before forcing it inwards - as a result, Cooler Master claims that this gives the effective cooling of a 100mm fan instead.
isn't it the case that it IS a 100mm fan mounted in a 92mm frame?
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums