bit-tech.net

Akasa Tesla H Review

Comments 1 to 14 of 14

Reply
jrs77 20th March 2014, 12:50 Quote
2x 2.5" drivebays...

...while the NUC only has a single SATA-connector :?
Revil0 20th March 2014, 12:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
2x 2.5" drivebays...

...while the NUC only has a single SATA-connector :?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
By using an optional mini PCI-E to SATA adaptor, you can sacrifice the port for an additional SATA connection complete with power.

I quite like the idea!
kent thomsen 20th March 2014, 15:53 Quote
Under my desk, I have an Antec P182, containing an i7 3770 on an Intel "Skull" P67 mobo and a GTX650 GPU. And a 120 GB SSD and 16 GB ram. A fairly potent system, except for gaming.

It´s cladded with both bitumen mats for anti-resonance, and foam pads for noiseblocking. It´s got 4 Antec True Quiet 120mm fans and a Coolermaster EVO CPU cooler.

The whole thing is very quiet, during daytime you won´t hear it at all, in the dead silence of night you´ll just be able to hear it.

But it also weighs close to 20 kg, and you all know how much space a P182 will take up...

And here comes these new NUC´s and cabinets to match. And it´s got everything: It´s near-silent, ultralightweight and about the size of a DVD-drive. And pretty strong performance already.

When I look at the performance numbers, of course there´s a long way yet, before they reach the performance of my present system.

But I´m sure it will come before you know it, and then you can count me in for one or more around the house. This is definitely the future for "desktops" as far as I see it.

Looking forward to the next generations and reviews.

Thnx.
Cheapskate 20th March 2014, 16:50 Quote
Does the Msata adapter sell separately? That little guy would come in handy...
-Ah, nevermind. Morning sleepy brain.
Combatus 20th March 2014, 21:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent thomsen
Under my desk, I have an Antec P182, containing an i7 3770 on an Intel "Skull" P67 mobo and a GTX650 GPU. And a 120 GB SSD and 16 GB ram. A fairly potent system, except for gaming.

It´s cladded with both bitumen mats for anti-resonance, and foam pads for noiseblocking. It´s got 4 Antec True Quiet 120mm fans and a Coolermaster EVO CPU cooler.

The whole thing is very quiet, during daytime you won´t hear it at all, in the dead silence of night you´ll just be able to hear it.

But it also weighs close to 20 kg, and you all know how much space a P182 will take up...

And here comes these new NUC´s and cabinets to match. And it´s got everything: It´s near-silent, ultralightweight and about the size of a DVD-drive. And pretty strong performance already.

When I look at the performance numbers, of course there´s a long way yet, before they reach the performance of my present system.

But I´m sure it will come before you know it, and then you can count me in for one or more around the house. This is definitely the future for "desktops" as far as I see it.

Looking forward to the next generations and reviews.

Thnx.


Kent - you should also check out this - Akasa's mini-ITX fanless case. Couple that with a 35W desktop Core i5 CPU and a thin motherboard and you'll have something that's way more powerful than a NUC!
kent thomsen 20th March 2014, 22:42 Quote
"Kent - you should also check out this - Akasa's mini-ITX fanless case. Couple that with a 35W desktop Core i5 CPU and a thin motherboard and you'll have something that's way more powerful than a NUC![/QUOTE]


That looks unteresting as well! And I wouldn´t be afraid to drill a few holes in it and place a quite 140mm fan right on top of it and let that blow slowly downwards or something, it would still be whisper quiet...

It´s not more than six monyhs since I put my system together, so it´l be a little while before I splash out again.

But at that time, these little machines will be even stronger. A bit sad for the old Antec, but this is the way things go.
Tyinsar 21st March 2014, 04:31 Quote
@ Antony Leather: Thank you.
Anneon 21st March 2014, 10:11 Quote
nice review......ads are too much now....
bawjaws 21st March 2014, 10:53 Quote
I'm extremely tempted to go down the NUC route, but now I'm swithering as to whether a thin mini ITX might be a better bet, per Meanmotion's suggestion. Can someone give me a quick rundown of pros and cons between NUC and thin mITX?

Also, is it viable to mount either a Euler or an NUC behind my monitor (a Dell 2412M)? I assume that I'd have to swap the standard Dell stand for a VESA one, but can anyone clarify?

Cheers dudes!
tonyd223 21st March 2014, 11:35 Quote
Loving my HP Microserver - the move to small makes so much sense...
pbryanw 22nd March 2014, 16:31 Quote
Thanks for the review bit-tech. I wonder if you'd consider placing a ten pence piece (or a can) next to one of these NUC cases, as I'm finding it hard to get a sense of scale from the pictures. Otherwise, I'm hoping NUCs will come down in price, and in the near future I'll be able to install the release version of Steam OS on one and do some game streaming with it.
Cthippo 22nd March 2014, 18:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd223
Loving my HP Microserver - the move to small makes so much sense...

My new server is running on a mini-ITX mono I got from Bindi, but it's in a 4u rackmount case, which kind of defeats the purpose of small. It looks so lonely in there
tonyd223 24th March 2014, 09:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthippo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd223
Loving my HP Microserver - the move to small makes so much sense...

My new server is running on a mini-ITX mono I got from Bindi, but it's in a 4u rackmount case, which kind of defeats the purpose of small. It looks so lonely in there

My missus told me no racks! I bought the Microserver because of recommendations on Bit-Tech - you guys rock :-)
RichCreedy 24th March 2014, 12:26 Quote
i'd like to see one with an mxm3.0a connector.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums