bit-tech.net

Arctic Cooling Silentium T2 Eco 80

Comments 1 to 25 of 31

Reply
The_Pope 16th March 2008, 09:43 Quote
Oh, boy
badders 16th March 2008, 10:31 Quote
Riff-Dribble didn't work under vista?
Hmmm, seems to work okay here.

As soon as I saw the picture with the door opened, I cowered in Horror.
It also sounds like Arctic cooling are going back to the Ghetto with their Hard drive mounting ideas. What's wrong with a normal HDD cage suspended on rubber nipples or similar?
Even Krikkit didn't take to velcro-ing his hard drive in.
Jipa 16th March 2008, 11:09 Quote
Even though I sense deep hatred towards the case, I'd still like to know how powerful the powersupply is. I don't know if the amount of drive bays tells anything about a computer being ultra super fast or not, either, but I guess that's just me. I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the insides with hardware installed, just to see how crowded it actually gets in there.

Shame it turned out so bad, I actually like the outlooks.
Tim S 16th March 2008, 11:15 Quote
Sorry, I thought Joe had mentioned the power rating in the article - it's 500W, but curiously called the 550F...
Primoz 16th March 2008, 11:32 Quote
I actually like this case very much. It could be very good - with some modding ofcourse. I see it as a great LAN case, with the PSU in it's normal position, two 80 mil fans by the mobo (instead of that duct), a 240 rad in the bottom with the plastic stand modded to have intakes in the ribbed section and a different HDD mounting.
CardJoe 16th March 2008, 11:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by badders
Riff-Dribble didn't work under vista?
Hmmm, seems to work okay here.

It works for me at home too, but for some reason all I was getting was a "Generic Application Error", which wasn't very helpful for diagnosing the problem. I check that the GPU was actually working and that the drivers were correct, but still no luck. In the end, upgrading the GPU test needed to be done anyway. I think it's probably just a small error in the registry or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoz
I actually like this case very much. It could be very good - with some modding ofcourse. I see it as a great LAN case, with the PSU in it's normal position, two 80 mil fans by the mobo (instead of that duct), a 240 rad in the bottom with the plastic stand modded to have intakes in the ribbed section and a different HDD mounting.

I'm not sure if that's all possible - it seems very cramped in there and you'd have to move the expansion slots etc. Also, bear in mind that the PSU and it's plastic housing seem to be secured in place.
Primoz 16th March 2008, 11:40 Quote
I still think it's nothing a little dremel work and some new metal plates (if really neccessary) can't fix ;)
karx11erx 16th March 2008, 12:14 Quote
First of all the reviewer has by no means understood who this case has been designed for. It's not for the enthusiast who wants to put a ton of highest end hardware in it. It is for the office worker or casual gamer who just needs standard equipment.

Second, placing the PSU at the front bottom of the case has something to do with the overall thermal design. The plastic stand of the case has openings through which cold air is sucked into the case by the PSU and the other case fans (I don't know why Card Joe would want to mod them into the stand - the stand's entire purpose is to allow air to be sucked in the case through its ribs).

Third, if you want the case to be near to silent, you will have to use the proper coolers for the CPU and GPU as well. I am having the previous of this case both at home and at work, 64 bit CPUs and Radeon X800/850s inside. The CPUs are cooled with an Arctic Cooling heatpipe cooler (many people don't seem to like them, but I never had any problems with them). Actually the loudest component is the Arctic Cooling VGA silencer in one of the systems. My workplace system just cannot be heard - I have to look under my desk to see whether its working.

My cases also don't have that awkward fastening system for harddrives, but a solid aluminium casing where you drop the harddrive in. There's only space for one harddrive, but given who the case is intended for, and looking at the prices of 500 GB HDs, that shouldn't be a problem. The fixing system for addon cards is screwless and works nicely.

The case costs less than 100 Euros including a decent PSU and low noise case cooling. For that price I can live with a little black plastic. Personally I like the look of the case. I am preferring very sleek, elegant cases anyway over all that prebuilt modding fuzz (like the Lian Li Armor). My favorite case would be the Antec P182 with chrome finish. Apart from the probably justified criticism of the reviewed case's harddrive attachment system I have to say that the review apparently has been made with a strong elitist attitide that far and wide misses the point and the qualities of this case.
m4r71n 16th March 2008, 12:55 Quote
i was really hoping that was gonna be a good case, as its a nice low price too.. not realy worth it if you have to modify it to make it any good
Jonagon 16th March 2008, 13:34 Quote
What's the problem with the case temp being a few degrees above ambient at idle? Surely that's fairly normal.. certinaly my case behaves like that.

I mean.. heat is being produced in the case and unless your cooling system for extracting it is 100% efficent, it's always gonna be a little bit hotter inside isn't it?

..Or am I missing something obvious? :P
Bluephoenix 16th March 2008, 13:35 Quote
trash is trash is trash, unless a dremel is applied.


I expected that result, as you can only lower the price so much without some parts of the case having issues.

for cheap cases best one I ever used that had an enviro-freindly rating on it was the cooler-master elite 330. cost me $40, yet has good build quality.
Slink 16th March 2008, 13:49 Quote
Cant pollish a turd.

I had one of the older models and i was proper disapointed with it, everything would overheat, the "Cool" drive cage was placed right next to the PSU which didnt help, and it was a bit out of the way for wires. No matter how much tidying you got done inside the case it was still so tight in there for such a big case.
The no screws drive rails were a pain the in the arse as well.
The plastic on the bottom that held the case up turned brittle and broke to bits.

Loops now has the case. She can probably vouch for the build quality.

Although saying that, this new one looks ok to look at, but i can just sense the internals and build will be just as bad.
Slink 16th March 2008, 13:53 Quote
to be fair now i come to think of it. out of all the cases i've had and worked with, the antec lanboy 1st gen) has got to be the best i've used.
Nature 16th March 2008, 13:58 Quote
Yeah no one likes those rotwillers. Funky peice of goose this case be.

Why don't you Bit-Tech-ians make a mid tower case that represents your company? I think it be an interesting think tank with all the brains contributing tword an image of your work and philosophies.

China has stoped youtube!!! HorrorS!!!!!!! The Madness!!
DXR_13KE 16th March 2008, 14:40 Quote
Nature, on that idea, i would very much like the bit-tech to design the ultimate computer case..... or computer case line, from small to big and from wide to large.....
CardJoe 16th March 2008, 16:36 Quote
Temperature differences at idle aren't a huge thing - but a 5 degrees difference when NOTHING is going on is a bad sign. Your computer isn't doing anything, the fans are going full pelt, and it's still 5 degrees about the ambient. That's only going to get worse when load builds. Compare it to some other cases in the price range to see what sort of cooling performance you can get with a more standard set-up. The 690, though it comes without a PSU, is about the same price and a good example of this:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/11/29/cooler_master_cm_690/4
sub routine 16th March 2008, 17:21 Quote
hehe the name? What on earth is silentium something has to be done about that before anything else.
Jipa 16th March 2008, 18:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
The 690, though it comes without a PSU, is about the same price and a good example of this:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/11/29/cooler_master_cm_690/4

Very impressive indeed, it actually cools the ambient air .5 degrees Just nit picking, isn't it lovely when it's 2008 and they still can't make accurate sensors for reasonable price. Personally I've been owned by the instruments as I claimed a case to be lighter with a PSU or something
tranc3 16th March 2008, 18:32 Quote
So if they made hybrids that looked that good, more ppl would be driving them.
djDEATH 17th March 2008, 11:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoz
I actually like this case very much. It could be very good - with some modding ofcourse. I see it as a great LAN case, with the PSU in it's normal position, two 80 mil fans by the mobo (instead of that duct), a 240 rad in the bottom with the plastic stand modded to have intakes in the ribbed section and a different HDD mounting.

so basically, buy it, spend lots of time and a fair amount of money on making it something else, and THEN it'd be what you want.

Why not just buy the case you want?

This is a shame, i liked the Silentium T1 series, but never really got up close, now i can see that £50 is a bit steep for this case, had it been £35-40 might have been worth it. For my rig and budget, the £15 case i have now will suffice, and given £50 is my upper limit, its gonna have to be a bit better than this for me to want it anymore.
Rocket733 17th March 2008, 18:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by karx11erx
First of all the reviewer has by no means understood who this case has been designed for. It's not for the enthusiast who wants to put a ton of highest end hardware in it. It is for the office worker or casual gamer who just needs standard equipment.

Second, placing the PSU at the front bottom of the case has something to do with the overall thermal design. The plastic stand of the case has openings through which cold air is sucked into the case by the PSU and the other case fans (I don't know why Card Joe would want to mod them into the stand - the stand's entire purpose is to allow air to be sucked in the case through its ribs).

Third, if you want the case to be near to silent, you will have to use the proper coolers for the CPU and GPU as well. I am having the previous of this case both at home and at work, 64 bit CPUs and Radeon X800/850s inside. The CPUs are cooled with an Arctic Cooling heatpipe cooler (many people don't seem to like them, but I never had any problems with them). Actually the loudest component is the Arctic Cooling VGA silencer in one of the systems. My workplace system just cannot be heard - I have to look under my desk to see whether its working.

My cases also don't have that awkward fastening system for harddrives, but a solid aluminium casing where you drop the harddrive in. There's only space for one harddrive, but given who the case is intended for, and looking at the prices of 500 GB HDs, that shouldn't be a problem. The fixing system for addon cards is screwless and works nicely.

The case costs less than 100 Euros including a decent PSU and low noise case cooling. For that price I can live with a little black plastic. Personally I like the look of the case. I am preferring very sleek, elegant cases anyway over all that prebuilt modding fuzz (like the Lian Li Armor). My favorite case would be the Antec P182 with chrome finish. Apart from the probably justified criticism of the reviewed case's harddrive attachment system I have to say that the review apparently has been made with a strong elitist attitide that far and wide misses the point and the qualities of this case.

Having read all of Joe's other case reviews I don't feel he has an elitist attitude, he bashes the Lian-Li's just as much as this case. If you're used to a reviewer going "omg this case roxurs" then you're going to the wrong site. Joe does a good job of showing this case as it stands if you just install a system in it. If we're going to start to have to modify our components to fit a case then you can't have an objective review that allows comparison between different cases.

Anyways it doesn't matter who the case is designed for, it doesn't do a very good job at what it's marketed to be: quiet and cool.
vix 18th March 2008, 21:05 Quote
I own an Arctic Cooling Silentium Pro case for a year. (The one reviewed here is the same with a different look and a better PSU) It was silent, all components were cool and the price was great. Six months ago I decided to overclock & watercool and I used the hard disk compartment to fit my water pump + tank. The back of the case allows for easy installation of a 2x90 radiator. The 500 watt psu (again I repeat that the PSU of the Eco 80 is even better) didn't have the problem to handle the following:

8800 GTS overclocked
Core2 4400 overclocked
2 hard disks in RAID
4 GB ram
a bluray writer
a cd/dvd writer
a front panel to count water levels and temperature
a wireless card
Laing pump
2x90mm sharkoon fans

People look at the size of my case and can hardly believe that everything can fit there. It's possible because of the PSU placement at the front bottom.

It's a great case, combined with a great PSU at a price that's less than half to what you would normally pay.

Joe should give it a second shot.
CardJoe 19th March 2008, 08:51 Quote
I'd be interested in seeing a picture of that mod if you'd care to post a pic or two of the insides and out.
Bindibadgi 19th March 2008, 09:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by vix
the PSU of the Eco 80 is even better

It's a fabricated standard. It's a Faux copy of the 80Plus and the fact you can whip the fan off and stick your hand in very easily means it's dangerous too. We had a PSU engineer in last week and he laughed at it, claiming it didn't even meet EU regulations - that because it was in a case they have probably got round it.

The build quality is atrocious, the plastic is awful, the internal design lacks a lot of features and the door design is nasty.

We appreciate your comments and please feel welcome to stay! (we want PICS!! please :D) but compared to what else we've seen it's the bottom of the barrel material.
Bluephoenix 19th March 2008, 09:55 Quote
meh, get some cheap(er) placstic and pay about the same to have it machined into something decent, and get a decent PSU which won't ultimately fry your machine (it may be efficient but it still fluctuates like there's not future for it)
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums