Zalman Z-Machine GT1000

[cibyr] 26th July 2007, 13:44 Quote
I bought one of these, took the sides off and crawled through it as your article suggested. Unfortunately, I cut myself during the process and as such will be suing bit-tech for one meelion dollars!

:p
[USRF]Obiwan 26th July 2007, 14:27 Quote
Does a GTX8800 fit? (or 2)
Tim S 26th July 2007, 14:46 Quote
There is plenty of room :)
Amon 26th July 2007, 14:55 Quote
One reason that puts this case in the "too expensive" category: it doesn't appear to fit anything larger than an ATX mainboard for what you pay. Looks good otherwise.
DarkLord7854 26th July 2007, 14:55 Quote
Was very interested by it.. till I saw the price :p
Meanmotion 26th July 2007, 15:21 Quote
Joe wasn't as won over by this case as I was. Personally, i think it's gorgeous!!!!!! The quality of construction is without rival and some of the little touches are shear genius. Sure it doesn't fit other form factors and some of the scibbling on the side looks a bit out of place but overall I'd say it's worth every penny.

As for how the hard drive bays work. Each bay is surrounded by rubber cushioned metal rollers that enable you to simply slide the hard drive into place. A final roller then fits over the end of the disk to lock it into place.

To mount the disks on the bottom bays, you attach four special rubber coated screws to the sides of the hard disk then mount the screws in the clamps that are fixed to the bottom of the case. The 'traditional' stacked hard drive bays can accommodate four drives so you shouldn't need to use these bottom mounts unless you're a serious storage nut.
DXR_13KE 26th July 2007, 15:31 Quote
you pay for quality.....
Mister_Tad 26th July 2007, 15:38 Quote
Zalman joins the ranks of companies that make l33t cases
Who on earth had the idea to plaster Z-MACHINE all over the sides *sigh* , cant wait for a OMG FARTAL1TAAH PWNZ J000!! edition of this'un

Hideously overpriced and no PSU? 6/10 for value is being pretty damn generous imo.
You do pay for quality, but nearly £100 more than lian-li's top dogs?
Bindibadgi 26th July 2007, 16:08 Quote
Yes, but consider what you get: aluminium is very expensive and the sides are really thick!
DarkLord7854 26th July 2007, 16:10 Quote
Then can I just buy it without the thick side panels and a 150$ discount? :D
Meanmotion 26th July 2007, 16:15 Quote
Originally Posted by Mister_Tad
Zalman joins the ranks of companies that make l33t cases

You do pay for quality, but nearly £100 more than lian-li's top dogs?

Lol, this is based on a case originally designed by/for Fatal1ty, http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/cases/gt1000.

They may do another Fatal1ty variation on this one again, who knows.

Er, no PSU? You kidding me! You pay £150 for an uber PSU anyway, how on earth do you think a PSU could be incorporated into that price?!
Mister_Tad 26th July 2007, 16:15 Quote
the panels are thick indeed (a bit like the panels on the newest lian-lis in fact), but its still 50-70% more expensive than an otherwise top of the line (and far better looking imo) case from lian-li, antec et al.

What I'm saying about the PSU is that if it did have a decent PSU with it, it may justify the price. Its £100 more than most very good cases, which can pick up a pretty damn good psu.
tk421 26th July 2007, 16:24 Quote
i think i screwed up years ago when i bought my pc-71.

all other case seem to fail in comparison. don't get me wrong - this one comes close ... but i'm not much for the company logos screened all over.
when i get around to building a new box, i am at a total loss as to which way i will go. i don't think the price tag is justified in this case. if it was 200$, i would consider it. 350$ - no bloody way.
Bindibadgi 26th July 2007, 17:56 Quote
It's the same with the PC60: it was what, £65 6 years ago? Now it sets a benchmark for cheap cases that no one else has yet attained imo.
DougEdey 26th July 2007, 18:13 Quote
PC-60 was £80-£100 4 years ago. I know because I bought my PC-61 for £80 and thought it was a right bargain.
wafflesomd 26th July 2007, 19:43 Quote
Stupidly high price.
Snaek 26th July 2007, 21:41 Quote
Looks pretty good but "Z-Machine"? Seriously? :)
Darkangel 27th July 2007, 00:44 Quote
bit daft having the front fans so close against a solid drive cage.
ChromeX 27th July 2007, 15:31 Quote
awesome looks, horrible price!
stumpyddatsun 10th August 2007, 17:29 Quote
Looking at getting one of these...BUT, I've got an Enermax Galaxy PSU and reading the review of no support rails for the PSU it's putting me off to say the least.
Has anyone actually come across this problem and is there a workaround?

Ta ;)
Meanmotion 10th August 2007, 18:33 Quote
You can't really work around something that's not there. If it proves to be a problem you'll have to construct some sort of cradle for it. I would've thought it'd be fine, though.
Bindibadgi 10th August 2007, 18:39 Quote
You'd need to make a cradle imo, or buy a smaller PSU. There's no way I'd trust a Galaxy on four screws.
The_Beast 10th August 2007, 20:52 Quote
it looks ok but is way too much for my pocket
Stickeh 15th February 2008, 14:19 Quote
Big bump, but i have one of these for sale if anyone is interested?