bit-tech.net

NMEDIA HTPC 100 Case

Comments 1 to 13 of 13

Reply
L2wis 1st March 2005, 10:06 Quote
ooooh more media cases!! Great stuff, i like the look of this one... buy why not bluetooth instead of the integrated infra red :( Gotta be a major let down even thought it's optional imo, if your releasing something new why give it old technology.
eddie_dane 1st March 2005, 13:55 Quote
Well, it could be argued that bluetooth doesn't require or benefit greatly from case design, whereas IR does. Most bluetooth is supported by the motherboard, usually using a dongle. IR needs a window in the case, otherwise, you have to install it externally and it makes the setup more awkward.

As more and more bluetooth media keyboards hit the market, you are right, IR will go the way of all things obsolete.
Bindibadgi 1st March 2005, 14:30 Quote
Lovely looking case, id still prefer wider over taller though - sacrifice the 60mm exhaust and put the psu on it's "back" rather than "side", seeing as space underneath TVs is often wider than it is taller.
eddie_dane 1st March 2005, 14:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
Lovely looking case, id still prefer wider over taller though - sacrifice the 60mm exhaust and put the psu on it's "back" rather than "side", seeing as space underneath TVs is often wider than it is taller.

Well the dimentions of the PSU the way it is just comes up to the top of any cards (video or sound). The size is not really dictated by the dimensions of the PSU as much as cards. If you laid the PSU on it's side, you would be forced to use thin cards like some of the ATi 9200's or riser adaptors. This is the only way to do it and allow full size cards.
L2wis 1st March 2005, 16:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_dane
Well, it could be argued that bluetooth doesn't require or benefit greatly from case design, whereas IR does. Most bluetooth is supported by the motherboard, usually using a dongle. IR needs a window in the case, otherwise, you have to install it externally and it makes the setup more awkward.

As more and more bluetooth media keyboards hit the market, you are right, IR will go the way of all things obsolete.

Good point which i didnt think of :) Cheers. Some cutting here and there + a couple of 8cm bloo fans. This HTPC case wud be sorted :D
Bindibadgi 1st March 2005, 17:01 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_dane
Well the dimentions of the PSU the way it is just comes up to the top of any cards (video or sound). The size is not really dictated by the dimensions of the PSU as much as cards. If you laid the PSU on it's side, you would be forced to use thin cards like some of the ATi 9200's or riser adaptors. This is the only way to do it and allow full size cards.

Ahhh yea, spose.
JonDixon 3rd March 2005, 13:20 Quote
Question is, when will it be available in the UK and where?

Just looked on newegg.com and the amd64 barebones is $255 but I doubt it'll translate into the £130 before tax.

Definately want one though. Theres a good review on anandtech on htpc cases. With this one coming in second.

So if anyone can find or get one to the UK let me know
ehrnam45 3rd March 2005, 22:13 Quote
I'm with the "E oha aluua" crowd. (wider is better!) Of the two cases I've tried, I prefer the SST-LC02's aesthetics. Granted that comes at the sacrifice of space and airflow, but you take what you can get, and make what you can't. :P

The only HTPC essential that I can think of that would require a full sized PCI slot would be a WinTV PVR card. Everything else can be had in low height form or onboard, if you're willing to be flexible on brand/features.
eddie_dane 4th March 2005, 14:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDixon
Question is, when will it be available in the UK and where?

Just looked on newegg.com and the amd64 barebones is $255 but I doubt it'll translate into the £130 before tax.

Definately want one though. Theres a good review on anandtech on htpc cases. With this one coming in second.

So if anyone can find or get one to the UK let me know

NMEDIA's website specifically states that it will be available in EU soon, I assume they are just locking down a distributor (a newegg equivilent over there) and you will be able to get your hands one one fairly soon.
rjbutler 10th October 2006, 10:06 Quote
The problem comes in the form of a cable assembly that nMedia System includes for the purpose of achieving a level of compatibility with 3 pin and 4 pin CPU fan headers. By default, the nMedia System HTPC 100BA case comes with a 4 pin LCD/CPU Fan cable only. nMedia System makes an apology for this in the first paragraph of the cable installation instructions, calling this an “inconvenience”. The included cable adaptor along with the instructions, printed in black and white, is nMedia System’s way of helping you to fix a problem that nMedia System should have been fixed at their factory.

We followed the instructions to install the cable adapter. The result yielded a dead motherboard.

We contacted nMedia System about our experience, our anger over losing a motherboard and our cancellation of a pending case order. Their response was surprising! They offered no apology.

In a subsequent email from nMedia System, I was called an “Idiot”! How very unprofessional!
DougEdey 10th October 2006, 10:28 Quote
Can you provide a copy of the email?
rjbutler 10th October 2006, 11:17 Quote
I just PMed you.
Bindibadgi 10th October 2006, 13:16 Quote
From what I’ve seen from your emails, you provide from the outset a wholly negative and aggressive tone with the intent of kicking off. You didn't even supply them with your demand to replace your motherboard until your second email; you assume you installed it correctly even though everyone makes mistakes. Christ, I've known people from all levels of computer manufacture and design that have killed stuff. It amazes me that in "25 years" you've only done it once.

You provide no pictures, no explanation and no details of the event, no understanding of whether the cable is bad because it reverses the polarity or uses a 5v instead of 12v, whether you plugged it into the CPU fan or other 3pin, whether it shorted to the case?? You don't mention whether it's the first one you used? What PSU was used, was there anything else plugged into the cable? How do you know it wasn't just a bad 3pin header? Surely you could have just RMA'd the motherboard? This article has been on the site for nearly two years yet you're the first person to mention this.

The fact you are posting this on presumably every-single-site on the internet that has reviewed their products is not only extremely unprofessional, but I can only see this is as signing up to advertise your business. You were only called an idiot after you made sweeping accusations about their business and legal threats without even a single attempt to reconcile the situation civilly. It was ONE motherboard; it didn't kill or injure one of your customers; if it had burnt their house down then fair enough.

Your post is extremely biased and akin to slander on certain parts.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums