bit-tech.net

PC Hardware Buyer's Guide August 2012

Comments 26 to 50 of 103

Reply
Combatus 31st August 2012, 11:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
I also love this feature. I'd go as far as to say its my favorite part of the (non forum) website, I link it to my friends all the time.

The mini ITX addition is brilliant as everyone said. I intend to be building one of my own as soon as I can.

I'm not sure about the Prodigy because of its size, is it only price that you didn't put the silverstone FT03 mini in? Idealy I'd like my system to be easily put into a bag and taken to LAN's in future aswell as living on my desk behind my screen.

Hi Lance. Yep it's mainly price - we'll have reviews of several ITX cases including the Prodigy and FT03 Mini soon - should explain our choices!
Lance 31st August 2012, 11:36 Quote
Awesome. Cheers
jdageek 31st August 2012, 12:40 Quote
Great guide as always bit-tech, loving the mini itx section as I've just ordered the parts to build my own mini itx media pc, so I'm looking forward to your future mitx builds. My Lian Li Q08B should be arriving soon, can't wait.
docodine 31st August 2012, 12:47 Quote
So.... Does the Zotac 660ti fit in the Prodigy with the upper drive cage still in then?...
YEHBABY 31st August 2012, 12:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
We're planning on adding this next time!


Looking forward to you adding a media pc, that's living room friendly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
Combatus 31st August 2012, 13:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by docodine
So.... Does the Zotac 660ti fit in the Prodigy with the upper drive cage still in then?...

Hi docodine. We're not able to pair up the two right this moment - we'll get pictures to you first thing next week.
docodine 31st August 2012, 13:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
It's a tiny graphics card that's perfect for a mini-ITX system; at just 180mm long it means you won't have to remove the Prodigy's top hard disk cage - necessary if you want to install larger graphics cards.



Thanks!
Arghnews 31st August 2012, 14:59 Quote
"256GB SSDs now costing less than £110 "

What? Where? The only one I've seen in Ebuyer's offer on the Sandisk 256Gb model for £99, that is now off. Other than that, even the lower spec SSD's (such as that Sandisk) are still £130-135 ishy. Alas, I wish the quote were true XD

But yeay, buyer's guide is back! :)
Anakha 31st August 2012, 15:45 Quote
Wow. AMD really neet to get their asses in gear. They've been wiped out of the recommendations at every level, and barely rate a footnote. Feeling a little sour about going Bulldozer x6 1045T now. :/
Combatus 31st August 2012, 16:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arghnews
"256GB SSDs now costing less than £110 "

What? Where? The only one I've seen in Ebuyer's offer on the Sandisk 256Gb model for £99, that is now off. Other than that, even the lower spec SSD's (such as that Sandisk) are still £130-135 ishy. Alas, I wish the quote were true XD

But yeay, buyer's guide is back! :)

Yep we were referring to the Sandisk and several deals we've seen from Kingston too. I'm sure they'll be back - it was just to emphasise that they you can get them this cheaply at the right place at the right time. However, we only tend to recommend the faster models such as the Samsung 830 and Crucial M4.
technogiant 31st August 2012, 17:21 Quote
Why are you recommending Ivybridge? It has poor thermals for overclocking....and the majority of enthusiasts do overclcock.....last generation Sandybridge is much better.....I'm sure you know that.....are intel "ENCOURAGING" you to promote there latest products.
Ljs 31st August 2012, 17:25 Quote
Glad to see this article back and look forward to reading impending reviews on some of the goodies mentioned in it.
AndyBradley_0255 31st August 2012, 19:04 Quote
In the premium player specs you list 2 x 2TB WD Black drives as being £144 when they are not, they are £144 each, or £138 from Scan :P
you need to whack an extra 144 squids to the overall total price.
jon 31st August 2012, 19:07 Quote
I just want to say how happy I am to see this feature coming back ... there was QUITE a while when the "monthly hardware review" was 6 to 12 months old ...
AndyBradley_0255 31st August 2012, 19:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by technogiant
Why are you recommending Ivybridge? It has poor thermals for overclocking....and the majority of enthusiasts do overclcock.....last generation Sandybridge is much better.....I'm sure you know that.....are intel "ENCOURAGING" you to promote there latest products.

My 3770K IB sits at 4.7GHz and runs no hotter than my old i7 920. Its stupidly quick at laughs at everything I throw at it. I have no complaints at all with it, however Ive not had chance to play with a SB K series chip.
Star*Dagger 31st August 2012, 21:50 Quote
*Swaps the dual GPU ATI offering in and adds the standard 40% increase in watts to any bit-tech PSU suggestion*

Otherwise good picks.
technogiant 31st August 2012, 21:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBradley_0255
Quote:
Originally Posted by technogiant
Why are you recommending Ivybridge? It has poor thermals for overclocking....and the majority of enthusiasts do overclcock.....last generation Sandybridge is much better.....I'm sure you know that.....are intel "ENCOURAGING" you to promote there latest products.

My 3770K IB sits at 4.7GHz and runs no hotter than my old i7 920. Its stupidly quick at laughs at everything I throw at it. I have no complaints at all with it, however Ive not had chance to play with a SB K series chip.

If you did you would find SB would be laughing at your IB temps.
Combatus 31st August 2012, 22:38 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by technogiant
Why are you recommending Ivybridge? It has poor thermals for overclocking....and the majority of enthusiasts do overclcock.....last generation Sandybridge is much better.....I'm sure you know that.....are intel "ENCOURAGING" you to promote there latest products.

If you take a look at our reviews of Ivy Bridge CPUs, you'll see that they're often noticeably faster clock for clock than Sandy Bridge CPUs. So much so that a 4.8GHz Core i7-3777K matches and even betters in some tests, a 5GHz Core i7-2600K. So even if you don't end up with just as high an overclock (this is never guaranteed anyway as every chip is different) you'll still likely stand to gain in performance terms anyway. Add to this the fact that Ivy Bridge is more power efficient and it's plain to see that if you're buying a new high end LGA1155 CPU, you should opt for Ivy Bridge. So no, we're not accepting bribes or being persuaded in other ways to recommend products we haven't thoroughly tested first, and found worthy of recommending. We never have done and we never will.
Combatus 31st August 2012, 22:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBradley_0255
In the premium player specs you list 2 x 2TB WD Black drives as being £144 when they are not, they are £144 each, or £138 from Scan :P
you need to whack an extra 144 squids to the overall total price.

Damn hard disk prices! Thanks for that, I've updated according.
AndyBradley_0255 1st September 2012, 02:44 Quote
If you did you would find SB would be laughing at your IB temps.[/QUOTE]

Obviously its water cooled at that speed, as you'd prob have to invest in high end cooling to OC a SB chip to that speed anyway too. As I said no hotter than my 920 but miles faster, I had that for over 3 yrs and loved it. An IB CPU outperforms a SB chip anyways clock for clock.
technogiant 1st September 2012, 06:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus

If you take a look at our reviews of Ivy Bridge CPUs, you'll see that they're often noticeably faster clock for clock than Sandy Bridge CPUs. So much so that a 4.8GHz Core i7-3777K matches and even betters in some tests, a 5GHz Core i7-2600K. So even if you don't end up with just as high an overclock (this is never guaranteed anyway as every chip is different) you'll still likely stand to gain in performance terms anyway. Add to this the fact that Ivy Bridge is more power efficient and it's plain to see that if you're buying a new high end LGA1155 CPU, you should opt for Ivy Bridge. So no, we're not accepting bribes or being persuaded in other ways to recommend products we haven't thoroughly tested first, and found worthy of recommending. We never have done and we never will.

Yeah realistically 4.8GHz is about the limit for IvyB as thermals are starting to get way out of control, and granted because of better ipc it will match a SandyB at about 5GHz......but where as that is the limit for IvyB it is not for SandyB many of which will go another 0.5GHz and more further...effectively leaving Ivby well behind.
SchizoFrog 1st September 2012, 09:00 Quote
Considering how many people will included additional fans and/or swap out the case included fans, can I ask why you never include case fans in the builds? After all they can effect the budget by £20-£60 right?
rollo 1st September 2012, 18:19 Quote
not many sandy chips will hit 5ghz even people who overclock heavily in these forums have struggled to hit 5ghz with temps sky rocketing into the 90s which is no good for long term.

ivy and sandy are as hot as each other at 4.8 ghz 5ghz. Its at 4.5ghz where ivy suffers vs sandy as the sandy will be cooler running chip.

once your passed a set point voltages(1.4v + which is generally whats required to take sandy and ivy above 4.8ghz ) take any heat savings away.

ivy also wins on power consumption
MSHunter 1st September 2012, 21:33 Quote
a HTCP is fine with a F1 CPU and no you do not need more CPU grunt for any games. Most all games are GPU dependent with 2-4 RTS exceptions like Supreme Commander with 1000 units and shadows on.
oliverr97 2nd September 2012, 19:23 Quote
I'm glad there is a mini-itx section now, i'm tempted to build a mini system myself now :)
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums