bit-tech.net

PC Hardware Buyer's Guide August 2012

Comments 1 to 25 of 103

Reply
YEHBABY 31st August 2012, 07:36 Quote
I'm glad to see you have added a mini ITX recommendation. But a section on HTPC's would be nice as I finding the choices a little bewildering and could do with some guidance on what to buy.
Pookie 31st August 2012, 07:59 Quote
Surprised that the i30 fits on the Asus mini itx board
Digi 31st August 2012, 08:22 Quote
Hah, I could have garunteed the usual 'HTPC' comment but coming as it did, in the first comment, made me grin.

Nice to see the gaming workhouse, which more or less is what I purchased 2 months ago, recommending the same parts. Vindication of hours of slaving over spec and being paranoid over this or that choice!
adam_bagpuss 31st August 2012, 08:28 Quote
personally id opt for the i3-2120 over the 2100 since its 200mhz faster and exactly the same price
docodine 31st August 2012, 08:30 Quote
The Prodigy really fits a 660ti with the top cage in?
YEHBABY 31st August 2012, 08:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi
Hah, I could have garunteed the usual 'HTPC' comment but coming as it did, in the first comment, made me grin.



Thanks. I always aim to please. ;)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
RealWeaponX 31st August 2012, 08:44 Quote
I'm building a new system from scratch on a reasonably tight budget, but I'm willing to stretch the budget and wait another month to build if need be. I was going to build an AMD A8 system and dual-graphics mode it at a later date, but would I be better off spending a little more and going the route of an LGA 1155 system with discrete graphics?
Combatus 31st August 2012, 08:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by docodine
The Prodigy really fits a 660ti with the top cage in?

Don't forget the Zotac 660 Ti 2GB we've recommended is the super-short PCB version...
Combatus 31st August 2012, 08:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWeaponX
I'm building a new system from scratch on a reasonably tight budget, but I'm willing to stretch the budget and wait another month to build if need be. I was going to build an AMD A8 system and dual-graphics mode it at a later date, but would I be better off spending a little more and going the route of an LGA 1155 system with discrete graphics?

The AMD A-8 3870K is quite overclockable - certainly enough for it to give the Core i3-2100 a run for its money. However, getting the Intel CPU and a discrete graphics card will always be the better option - the 2100 is far more power efficient and an LGA1155 system has far more upgrade potential. Socket FM1 is really only for those on a very tight budget, or for HTPC systems that need a bit of gaming grunt over the usual poor on-board graphics. If you can afford it, go for the LGA1155 option.
GuilleAcoustic 31st August 2012, 09:05 Quote
Nice ITX rig, but the prodigy is still too fat for me considering it as "ITX" case. A Lian Li PC-Q08 can house ATX PSU, Corsair H60, 300mm GPU, 4x 3.5" + 1x 5.25" + 1x 2.5". Even if you get rid of the 2 HDD bays, the optical bay can still hold a full fat optical + 1x 2.5" HDD / SSD ... but that's only my personnal preferences regarding the "ITX" rig label :D
Combatus 31st August 2012, 09:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Surprised that the i30 fits on the Asus mini itx board

I've actually just swapped this to a Corsair H80, which I know fits both the board and the case without sacrificing drive bays - something I hadn't considered. A Noctua NH-D14 does fit on the P8Z77-I Deluxe though!
docodine 31st August 2012, 09:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by docodine
The Prodigy really fits a 660ti with the top cage in?

Don't forget the Zotac 660 Ti 2GB we've recommended is the super-short PCB version...

Could you post a photo sometime?
RealWeaponX 31st August 2012, 09:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWeaponX
I'm building a new system from scratch on a reasonably tight budget, but I'm willing to stretch the budget and wait another month to build if need be. I was going to build an AMD A8 system and dual-graphics mode it at a later date, but would I be better off spending a little more and going the route of an LGA 1155 system with discrete graphics?

The AMD A-8 3870K is quite overclockable - certainly enough for it to give the Core i3-2100 a run for its money. However, getting the Intel CPU and a discrete graphics card will always be the better option - the 2100 is far more power efficient and an LGA1155 system has far more upgrade potential. Socket FM1 is really only for those on a very tight budget, or for HTPC systems that need a bit of gaming grunt over the usual poor on-board graphics. If you can afford it, go for the LGA1155 option.

Thanks, I think I'll hang on the extra month or so and go Intel then. :)
GuilleAcoustic 31st August 2012, 09:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by docodine
Could you post a photo sometime?

http://www.01net.com/images/produit/full/zotac-gtx-660-ti-amp-edition-4.jpg

OM nom nom, it would fit a PC-Q11 perfectly :D

EDIT : It would also fit a PC-Q08 with the 2 HDD bays installed :D
docodine 31st August 2012, 09:44 Quote
I know that card, I saw the Bit review of it recently, I meant a pic of the card in a Prodigy if possible, sorry if I wasn't clear :(
mystvearn 31st August 2012, 09:46 Quote
Kudos for the mini-ITX build guide:)
GuilleAcoustic 31st August 2012, 09:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by docodine
I know that card, I saw the Bit review of it recently, I meant a pic of the card in a Prodigy if possible, sorry if I wasn't clear :(

I found a pic of this card on an ITX mobo (maybe the shroud will block the lower HDD caddy (nothing a dremel can't fix)

http://forums.vr-zone.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Zotac_GTX_660_Ti_Amp.jpg
Tyrmot 31st August 2012, 10:00 Quote
Great to have the mini-ITX added! Thanks!
MrJay 31st August 2012, 10:07 Quote
Loving the mini-ITX addition : )

However the Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe is overkill, much cheaper variants for the Z77 about.

Also i have herd allot of bad things about the build quality of that case.

But hey I'm fussy.
slipperyskip 31st August 2012, 10:10 Quote
Typo on US price of Corsair H80. Mini-ITX build.
Combatus 31st August 2012, 11:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJay
Loving the mini-ITX addition : )

However the Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe is overkill, much cheaper variants for the Z77 about.

Also i have herd allot of bad things about the build quality of that case.

But hey I'm fussy.

We've looked at the Zotac and ASRock Z77 ITX boards - the Asus got our vote, even though it costs more.

The Prodigy does have issues as we mentioned in the article, but they're either easy to live with or fixable. Aside from that the case offers superb cooling (for a mini-ITX case) and oodles of room water cooling or large air coolers.
Apexgun 31st August 2012, 11:06 Quote
Glad this segment is back, missed dreaming about building a new system off the monthly recommendations.
You guys ever think about adding in a media centre system? Now that you're doing mini-ITX systems something that size could be perfect for a living room setup.
Combatus 31st August 2012, 11:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyskip
Typo on US price of Corsair H80. Mini-ITX build.

Cheers Jeff - just updated it. We'll hopefully have an air-cooled option next month once we've had time to chuck a few large air coolers into it.
Combatus 31st August 2012, 11:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexgun
Glad this segment is back, missed dreaming about building a new system off the monthly recommendations.
You guys ever think about adding in a media centre system? Now that you're doing mini-ITX systems something that size could be perfect for a living room setup.

We're planning on adding this next time!
Lance 31st August 2012, 11:10 Quote
I also love this feature. I'd go as far as to say its my favorite part of the (non forum) website, I link it to my friends all the time.

The mini ITX addition is brilliant as everyone said. I intend to be building one of my own as soon as I can.

I'm not sure about the Prodigy because of its size, is it only price that you didn't put the silverstone FT03 mini in? Idealy I'd like my system to be easily put into a bag and taken to LAN's in future aswell as living on my desk behind my screen.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums