bit-tech.net

PC Hardware Buyer's Guide July 2011

Comments 1 to 25 of 93

Reply
chrismarkham1982 11th July 2011, 09:33 Quote
waits for comment about why amd's new cpu hasnt been used instead
Kris 11th July 2011, 09:54 Quote
actually, I would just add that instead of a gtx590 (that might blow up on you), you'd be better off with xfired 6970 cards, it would save you a good amount of money while performing faster and consuming a lot less power at the same time. What's not to like?
slothy89 11th July 2011, 09:58 Quote
Watercool the 590, problem solved :)

Regarding the article:
I'm just jealous PC Hardware isnt this cheap in Australia.. It cost me around AU$2,500 to build something that performs similar to the Gaming Workhorse..
chrismarkham1982 11th July 2011, 10:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris
actually, I would just add that instead of a gtx590 (that might blow up on you), you'd be better off with xfired 6970 cards, it would save you a good amount of money while performing faster and consuming a lot less power at the same time. What's not to like?

bit-tech dont like multi gpu set-ups normally
Anneon 11th July 2011, 10:12 Quote
Gaming Workhorse -
I recently bought a M4 64GB SSD. I have to agree it is the most worthwhile upgrade I have carried out in a long time. Windows boot time, game loading times (levels, initial loads) and general program loading times has been drastically reduced. Will never go back to a mechanical main drive.
rollo 11th July 2011, 10:16 Quote
What's the did between duel core gpu and crossfire they both use similar drivers
Elton 11th July 2011, 10:40 Quote
Premium player Septemeber 2010? That's interesting they have some new hardware in the past. :D

By the way nice as always, although you might want to recommend a CPU cooler for the US crowd. Thermaltake Frio perhaps?
hurrakan 11th July 2011, 10:40 Quote
Is the motherboard Z68 or P67 ?
Snips 11th July 2011, 10:42 Quote
The 590 is here because it was faster, quiter and cooler than the 6970. After thorough testing by Bit-tech it was the better option.
Elton 11th July 2011, 10:44 Quote
On another note, have they fixed the 590 explosion thing yet?
Stickeh 11th July 2011, 11:04 Quote
I'd quite like to see an amd equivalent for each system, sure you might not get spec-for-spec identical comparisons, but something in each level, to show a price difference or offer a broader choice of just buy intel would be nice. I'm no fan boy (switching from p4 to amd XP to amd 64 to intel quad and back to amd quad) i just go on bang-for-buck at the time
MaverickWill 11th July 2011, 11:39 Quote
At the risk of coming across as slightly arrogant, I think the ball has been somewhat dropped by the Bit-Tech boys, with regards to the Affordable All-Rounder. Changing out the Pentium for the i3-2100 is a bit of a sideways step (I'd normally stick to overclocking-friendly parts on budget builds to eke out that lovely performance), but understandable if an upgrade path is desired.

And then it gets a swift kick to the chops by using an H67 motherboard. Really, guys? You recommend an upgrade path through LGA1155 with ZERO chance of using the i5-2500K? To add insult to injury, you take one of the most frugally-powered desktop chips on the planet, and attach a Freezer 7 Pro. For the extra £15, you could have a P67 motherboard, right?
rv88uk 11th July 2011, 11:41 Quote
In the premium player you seem to be using 3 SATA III drives (SSD + 2x 2TB WD Caviar Black HDDs), however the Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z only has 2 SATA III ports. Is there any performance decrease from using SATA II with the 2TB drives?
StoneyMahoney 11th July 2011, 11:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affordable All-Rounder
The GTX 460 1TB still has the besting of the HD 6850 in most of our test games though, if only by a little.

Holy CRAP! You're right, it is cheap (and amazingly small) for a card with more RAM than I have hard drive space!
Bindibadgi 11th July 2011, 12:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv88uk
In the premium player you seem to be using 3 SATA III drives (SSD + 2x 2TB WD Caviar Black HDDs), however the Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z only has 2 SATA III ports. Is there any performance decrease from using SATA II with the 2TB drives?

Any hard drive doesn't need a SATA 6Gbps port frankly. Only SSDs do :) Buffered results don't count. ;)
Xir 11th July 2011, 12:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurrakan
Is the motherboard Z68 or P67 ?
Pssst, the much-anticipated Z68 is not to be mentioned :D
chrismarkham1982 11th July 2011, 12:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv88uk
In the premium player you seem to be using 3 SATA III drives (SSD + 2x 2TB WD Caviar Black HDDs), however the Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z only has 2 SATA III ports. Is there any performance decrease from using SATA II with the 2TB drives?

as far as i remember no HDD maxes out sata 3gbps let alone sata 6gbps, only ssd's make use of the extra bandwidth the new sata standard gives.
nathanieltonge 11th July 2011, 12:59 Quote
Why use a cheap sata DVD drive in the premium rig? I think a blu-ray player would be the way to go.
tonyd223 11th July 2011, 13:02 Quote
ok, how does the A8-3850 compare when run with the HD 6670 (to create a HD 6690d2) compared to the choices you made for processor and graphics card? Just interested as no one seems to have posted that on the web that I can find yet...
Snips 11th July 2011, 13:15 Quote
Whine, whine, AMD, whine, whine, bang for buck, whine, whine, alternative, whine, whine.....etc, etc.

Every month you say the same thing. Come on, gives us a better argument.
Kris 11th July 2011, 13:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismarkham1982
bit-tech dont like multi gpu set-ups normally
a gtx590 is a multigpu setup :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips
The 590 is here because it was faster, quiter and cooler than the 6970. After thorough testing by Bit-tech it was the better option.
I guess you meant the 6990 ;)
I still believe, that it's simply better value to go for either 6950 or 6970 in xfire. especially the 6950 for example: in xfire will consume much less than 590 and will take much less power, and performance is similar I guess + in triplemonitor gaming it will have the edge due to more memory.
both the 590 and 6990 are too difficult to cool anyway + amd-s power management is much better so you are not relying on software to keep your card from blowing up... :)
chrismarkham1982 11th July 2011, 13:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris
a gtx590 is a multigpu setup :)


i know hence 'normally'
chrismarkham1982 11th July 2011, 13:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips
Whine, whine, AMD, whine, whine, bang for buck, whine, whine, alternative, whine, whine.....etc, etc.

Every month you say the same thing. Come on, gives us a better argument.

^^^this^^^

although i do think it would be better to do an alternative system from the other side alongside the monthly choices (if just to make the 'intel worse than skynet' brigade shut up) i also believe that bit-tech are just trying to show us there recomendations on how to spend your cash if building a pc and therefore there really is no need for an alternative.

and before anyone ask's im not a fanboi of anything, im always open to alternatives
[PUNK] crompers 11th July 2011, 14:23 Quote
Exactly, its showing you whats best for the money at the time regardless of manufacturer. Someone who desperately wants an AMD or intel system will buy one regardless
Kris 11th July 2011, 14:36 Quote
yeah, can't wait to get some bulldozer competition to intel so that we might see better pricing for cpu-s :)
also of note, the gtx560ti is a great card, but a quick search shows that a 2GB 6950 is only about 10-15£ more expensive. Is it not be worth it to go for this instead? (also, the 1GB is cheaper still)

if the prices would be similar with 570 and 6950, then it would really be a difficult decision and depends on the game (570 usually a little bit faster i think). here I don't really see a difficult decision at all :)
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums