bit-tech.net

Asus Prime X370-Pro Review

Comments 1 to 12 of 12

Reply
Tulatin 30th March 2017, 17:05 Quote
I look forward to reviews of retail samples of these boards hitting the market. Performance metrics and silicon shots are great, but strangely, I'm also curious about what's in the box.

Mostly because that's a surprisingly rigid header on a motherboard. Perhaps with good reason, when you consider that it can drive a front panel assembly like this:

http://imgur.com/a/G7cdf
sandys 30th March 2017, 18:07 Quote
Do these boards support BCLK overclocking, can't see it in the review? I struggle to understand what Ryzen boards do an don't.
faugusztin 30th March 2017, 22:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulatin
I look forward to reviews of retail samples of these boards hitting the market. Performance metrics and silicon shots are great, but strangely, I'm also curious about what's in the box.

Mostly because that's a surprisingly rigid header on a motherboard. Perhaps with good reason, when you consider that it can drive a front panel assembly like this:

http://imgur.com/a/G7cdf

What do you mean ? These boards are on sale for nearly three weeks now, these were the first boards available on market in Europe.
23RO_UK 30th March 2017, 23:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin
What do you mean ? These boards are on sale for nearly three weeks now, these were the first boards available on market in Europe.

As per the above comment...

OCUK in stock - LINK
Scan in stock - LINK

azrael- 31st March 2017, 07:36 Quote
Does the board support ECC and if so, does it work?
RedFlames 31st March 2017, 13:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael-
Does the board support ECC and if so, does it work?

According to ASUS, yes.
Quote:
AMD Ryzen™ Processors

4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3200(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz ECC and non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

Does it actually work?... *shrug*
tristanperry 1st April 2017, 10:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys
Do these boards support BCLK overclocking, can't see it in the review? I struggle to understand what Ryzen boards do an don't.
On my Asus Prime (albeit, the B350M-A), I can overclock via the 'Custom CPU Core Ratio' option and thus tweaking the FID/DID values. It seems a weird way to offer the setting, since most people seem to just keep DID at 8 and tweak FID accordingly (i.e. 148 for 3.7 Ghz, 152 for 3.8 Ghz).

EDIT: Looks like multiplier OCing is possible, will have to dig around, can't say I immediately seen that option when I was OCing.
sandys 1st April 2017, 12:12 Quote
Whoosh, say what now :D

My main concern is picking up a cheaper board like this and not having full Oc'ing potential, some of the more expensive boards like the taichi and crosshair have some external clkgen thing and I am not sure if the fact it is not mentioned on lower end stuff means it is not there, or whether it is just a feature of x370 and B350 boards and all will have it and its just not being listed well.

I don't care about the value adders on more costly boards like LED or fancy paint on this and that or fancy wifi or sound so paying extra for all that is unnecessary but I do what full OC potential.

Perhaps I am un clear on what this external clkgen the fancy boards has does or how Ryzen overclocking works, I need to do some research I guess.
Combatus 1st April 2017, 23:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulatin
I look forward to reviews of retail samples of these boards hitting the market. Performance metrics and silicon shots are great, but strangely, I'm also curious about what's in the box.

Mostly because that's a surprisingly rigid header on a motherboard. Perhaps with good reason, when you consider that it can drive a front panel assembly like this:

http://imgur.com/a/G7cdf

We list any unusual extras in the 'Extras' section in the specs. No funky USB 3.1 front panels unfortunately!
Combatus 1st April 2017, 23:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys
Do these boards support BCLK overclocking, can't see it in the review? I struggle to understand what Ryzen boards do an don't.

This one does as does the Crosshair I believe. However, both the Gigabyte boards we've looked at so far do not.
leexgx 4th April 2017, 19:29 Quote
Does it support use of unbuffered/unregistered ECC Ram - yes

does it use 1 bit error correction or system stop on uncorrected bit - No

No motherboard has support for ECC at the moment witch is annoying

The amd part of the uefi bios currently does not allow the use of ECC functionality at the moment and they say they don't test for it as well (Asus and asrock mite support it as they been able to enable these basic features on none workstation boards in the past)
sandys 4th April 2017, 19:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
This one does as does the Crosshair I believe. However, both the Gigabyte boards we've looked at so far do not.

Good to know that makes it reasonable value then.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums