bit-tech.net

Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan Review

Comments 151 to 169 of 169

Reply
rollo 22nd February 2013, 18:53 Quote
Most Sli CF users would give up SLI or CF tommorow if they could get a single card to offer the performance.

SLI CF is still way to dependent on drivers for many.

680 sli cost most on this forum the best part of £850 without watercooling.

This is now the only single gpu card on the market that can do bf3 ultra at 2560 res with 60+ fps id consider it a win for nvidia.

If nvidia can release a card this powerful next gen that offers the performance id like to see then id be sorely tempted to buy it. If i did not own 680 sli id be tempted to buy it.

Not many Multi GPU users can say they have never had a single problem whilst if you ask most single card users they have had close to 0.

Does not make any dif if 580 sli or 7950 cf is slightly faster for many having one single card that offers that sort of performance is a benifit worth paying for.

Thats the market nvidia has aimed at and it will sell to that market.
Harlequin 22nd February 2013, 19:29 Quote
would a pair of 7870 le in CF actually match the Titan?
true_gamer 22nd February 2013, 20:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
Most Sli CF users would give up SLI or CF tommorow if they could get a single card to offer the performance.

SLI CF is still way to dependent on drivers for many.

680 sli cost most on this forum the best part of £850 without watercooling.

This is now the only single gpu card on the market that can do bf3 ultra at 2560 res with 60+ fps id consider it a win for nvidia.

If nvidia can release a card this powerful next gen that offers the performance id like to see then id be sorely tempted to buy it. If i did not own 680 sli id be tempted to buy it.

Not many Multi GPU users can say they have never had a single problem whilst if you ask most single card users they have had close to 0.

Does not make any dif if 580 sli or 7950 cf is slightly faster for many having one single card that offers that sort of performance is a benifit worth paying for.

Thats the market nvidia has aimed at and it will sell to that market.

Not true, I will always go with multiple cards and I know a lot of others that will always go down this route too, as SLI has been a joy.

You have just as much chance of having driver problems on a single card situation as you would when running multiple cards. I only ever get the odd Drivers have stop responding and have recovered, when I OC to far. :)

Just to add, BF3 @ 2560x1440 maxed out with 4xMSAA runs @ 80FPS avg with 2x GTX 580 3GB

People are still reading post regarding SLI back when the 7800 GTX series was out, when SLI was not at it's optimal standard's and where drivers were a bit more flaky.
This isn't the case in today's driver and SLI support, as more people are opting for multiple GPU configurations.
NVidia are very good at bringing out new SLI profiles when new games come out, and they always aim to improve performance in newer driver releases.
BennieboyUK 22nd February 2013, 21:02 Quote
Got to say I am with TG on this one. SLI issues are long gone, and if new issues arrive they are short lived. I have SLI for years now and not had an issue for 2years + and I play almost every major new release of games in one form or another.

580 3GB SLI are currently the best bang for buck by a country mile.

The Titan does however open a new market, along side the 690 gives ITX a high end gaming potential. I am more interested in is, will the Titan release prompt more "top end" ITX boards to hit the market - that really get my pulse going.

Having my gaming rig under one arm and my Ipad in the other would be a dream! :)
maverik-sg1 22nd February 2013, 22:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki role
I fail to see how the first point is relevant to this test though? I mean whoever is in the market for more than one Titan is clearly not part of that percentile either, and they are far more likely to have an X79 system than not. In fact, I would argue that if they don't have an X79 system, then they haven't researched their build properly at all and are throwing away performance they payed for. A single Titan is okay on Z77, even a 690 or 7990 is fine too, that's because they're running from one slot on both chipsets so 8x8 anyway. But two separate cards will see a performance increase on X79 thanks to being able to run them at x16 each. It may have been the case that the bandwidth wasn't an issue back when it was first mentioned, but it certainly is now thanks to the more powerful cards and higher resolutions we're playing at.

We have to agree to disagree on the PCI-E 2 Vs 3, sorry.

My point is this - the FPS may change slightly using the x79 set-up, but the order of which card is fastest and where would not change - and that is where I feel your critique is flawed - the graphs would scale and the status quo remains.
Maki role 22nd February 2013, 23:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverik-sg1


We have to agree to disagree on the PCI-E 2 Vs 3, sorry.

My point is this - the FPS may change slightly using the x79 set-up, but the order of which card is fastest and where would not change - and that is where I feel your critique is flawed - the graphs would scale and the status quo remains.

Well that's fine, I'm basing my opinions on results such as these. That's with 4 cards, with two it's also a similar story, although not quite as drastic. Again this isn't really going to be a big of an issue unless you're using current gen top-end cards, like the ones tested here.

Although you're right in that the card order wouldn't be likely to change. The magnitude of the differences could be large for all we know at present. For a benchmark review, you shouldn't introduce a bottleneck, full stop.
maverik-sg1 22nd February 2013, 23:36 Quote
I really don't understand the importance here, you concede the result order would not change - which is probably the single most important thing to take away here.

The resolution in those tests you've linked start at 3600*1920 which is much higher than the highest resolutions in the review (6.95m pixels Vs 6.22m)....the overall effect of bandwidth limitations should be reduced in a similar fashion.

Lest we forget that order of the cards would not change, it could be as easy at looking at those percentages (in your link) and applying them to get a reasonable guess at what the FPS might be if all lanes were PCI-E 3 x16 instead of x8.

I must of exagerated when I said the 0.05% of the pc population who have a system that actually cares about performance at that resolution, it's closer to 0.001%....it's a poor example, produced by people who want to sell PCI-E 3 products.....I'd still buy a single titan for my P67 rig, if it were half it's current price that is :)

Also when you find a review that meets your criteria - please, send me a link :)
Maki role 23rd February 2013, 02:57 Quote
I think there's a rather important consideration that has to be made though, that the numbers themselves are very important. Let's take a hypothetical situation, you have two cards A and B. A costs 15% more than B, yet performs 10% better than B. Card A is found to be bottlenecked, and when that is removed, it performs 17% better than B. Those kinds of figures could quite easily sway somebody to make a purchase on either, but the full potential has to be shown to make it a fair situation.

The reason why I don't really think the order is that important is that it was a given for the most part. We expected the Titan to perform better than current single cards, but we didn't know by how much it would. We expected it to have reduced performance against a dual GPU solution, but again not by how much. Now a single card won't have this issue. But once we start hitting 2+, potentially the Titan is more severely bottlenecked than the other cards by comparison, but we don't know, it may not be.

Also, plenty of reviewers hit those standards, all that's really required is to remove the CPU and mobo from the equation. Aka just use a socket 2011 CPU and voila. Why not just stick it on a similar system used to test 2011 coolers? I mean it's not as if Bit-tech doesn't have access to the parts, they chose the Z77 mobo and i7. Of course, there's always the new in-thing of measuring frame latency that's popping up, but that's another topic. I just think it's a bit odd to go for something that could potentially negatively affect results. It also doesn't make sense from a relevancy standpoint as people who want more than one Titan simply won't be using Z77. A single Titan is the cost of a decent Z77 setup, let alone two or three of them.
true_gamer 23rd February 2013, 07:50 Quote
X79 has a hell of a lot more bandwidth to give with the extra PCIe lane.

Here's my old results running 3 GTX 580 1.5GB cards on a Gigabyte UD7 that does X16 x8 x8
And the Asus Rampage IV does x16 x16 x8.

I see a big difference in performance. So the Z77 is holding back those 3 GTX Titans.

990X @5GHz Gigabyte UD7
http://i52.tinypic.com/s6r7lx.jpg

3960X @5GHz Asus Rampage IV
http://oi41.tinypic.com/64peae.jpg

990X @5GHZ Gigabyte UD7
http://oi52.tinypic.com/2hyi33n.jpg

3960X @5GHZ Asus Rampage IV
http://oi40.tinypic.com/2n8zo5g.jpg
brave758 23rd February 2013, 08:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
Most Sli CF users would give up SLI or CF tommorow if they could get a single card to offer the performance.

SLI CF is still way to dependent on drivers for many.

680 sli cost most on this forum the best part of £850 without watercooling.

This is now the only single gpu card on the market that can do bf3 ultra at 2560 res with 60+ fps id consider it a win for nvidia.

If nvidia can release a card this powerful next gen that offers the performance id like to see then id be sorely tempted to buy it. If i did not own 680 sli id be tempted to buy it.

Not many Multi GPU users can say they have never had a single problem whilst if you ask most single card users they have had close to 0.

Does not make any dif if 580 sli or 7950 cf is slightly faster for many having one single card that offers that sort of performance is a benifit worth paying for.

Thats the market nvidia has aimed at and it will sell to that market.

Sorry mate disagree,
Have run Sli / Cross fire for a few years now. In fact have just picked up some 680 FTW's with water blocks for far less than the titan.
MjFrosty 23rd February 2013, 11:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEHBABY
Only one :D

For now :)
Somer_Himpson 23rd February 2013, 11:59 Quote
How long before True_Gamer gets one?
Shirty 23rd February 2013, 12:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somer_Himpson
How long before True_Gamer gets one?

When they drop to the logical price that reflects their performance versus other cards. He's gone for 580s in SLI instead - same or better performance than a Titan for much less then half the price.
YEHBABY 23rd February 2013, 12:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somer_Himpson
How long before True_Gamer gets one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty
When they drop to the logical price that reflects their performance versus other cards. He's gone for 580s in SLI instead - same or better performance than a Titan for much less then half the price.

Yes but we're talking about true gamer here. When has value for money ever really come into it, its about owning and Benching the latest shiny tech. POWER! He's already trying to fight the temptation of buying two for watercooled SLI goodness at £2K check out the president's group. :D
PabloFunky 23rd February 2013, 12:44 Quote
I will be getting one (coz i can), but am waiting for the evga hydrocopper one now, soon as someone in the uk sells one (apart from Scan) then moneys ready.

Not coping too well with my gt640 as you can prob tel:D
Kovoet 23rd February 2013, 13:01 Quote
After having read all of this I think I might rather get the ares 'll 7990, just need to see who has stock and how it will fit with a H100 in a hafx case
maverik-sg1 24th February 2013, 21:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_gamer
X79 has a hell of a lot more bandwidth to give with the extra PCIe lane.

Here's my old results running 3 GTX 580 1.5GB cards on a Gigabyte UD7 that does X16 x8 x8
And the Asus Rampage IV does x16 x16 x8.

I see a big difference in performance. So the Z77 is holding back those 3 GTX Titans.

990X @5GHz Gigabyte UD7
http://i52.tinypic.com/s6r7lx.jpg

3960X @5GHz Asus Rampage IV
http://oi41.tinypic.com/64peae.jpg

990X @5GHZ Gigabyte UD7
http://oi52.tinypic.com/2hyi33n.jpg

3960X @5GHZ Asus Rampage IV
http://oi40.tinypic.com/2n8zo5g.jpg

Thats two different cpu's and SB-E is known to scale much better at the higher frequencies, so I am not saying you are wrong - just saying again, this is a bad example to establish a scaling issue with PCI-E lanes as the tests are not comparable in just that area alone.

I really do understand your point about if your going to show a tri sli test then yes the people who are interested in such a set-up will want to see it tested in the evironment it deserves which would include removing any obstacles that could potentially stunt the performance figures....in it's purest sense, absolutely right.

Bit-tech (and >90% of all the other hardware testing sites) have missed a trick by not standardising on a 4.5ghz X79 as a benching set-up, but now it's done and the time has been invested testing all those cards on that other set-up, there's not enough time and resource to do it all again....especially when the target demographic is so tiny less than 0.1% of it's target audience would really benefit from it.

They should take note for the next opportunity to re-test everything, that the test bed should be able to reliably cater for all compinations appropriately.
Teelzebub 24th February 2013, 23:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
Most Sli CF users would give up SLI or CF tommorow if they could get a single card to offer the performance.

SLI CF is still way to dependent on drivers for many.

680 sli cost most on this forum the best part of £850 without watercooling.

This is now the only single gpu card on the market that can do bf3 ultra at 2560 res with 60+ fps id consider it a win for nvidia.

If nvidia can release a card this powerful next gen that offers the performance id like to see then id be sorely tempted to buy it. If i did not own 680 sli id be tempted to buy it.

Not many Multi GPU users can say they have never had a single problem whilst if you ask most single card users they have had close to 0.

Does not make any dif if 580 sli or 7950 cf is slightly faster for many having one single card that offers that sort of performance is a benifit worth paying for.

Thats the market nvidia has aimed at and it will sell to that market.

I've been running SLI for many years and I've never had a problem with it, although I think buying a Titan is a complete waste as is the 690
MjFrosty 25th February 2013, 16:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennieboyUK
Got to say I am with TG on this one. SLI issues are long gone, and if new issues arrive they are short lived. I have SLI for years now and not had an issue for 2years + and I play almost every major new release of games in one form or another.

580 3GB SLI are currently the best bang for buck by a country mile.

The Titan does however open a new market, along side the 690 gives ITX a high end gaming potential. I am more interested in is, will the Titan release prompt more "top end" ITX boards to hit the market - that really get my pulse going.

Having my gaming rig under one arm and my Ipad in the other would be a dream! :)


Two Titans in one system. Debate solved. Money solves everything lol.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums