bit-tech.net

Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Review

Comments 1 to 25 of 78

Reply
Hustler 16th August 2012, 15:10 Quote
Nice card..but price is just dumb...I'd rather spend another £40-50 and get a full fat 670.

Also, i bet that rather measly 144Gb bandwidth and 192bit bus is really going to be a hindrance in games by this time next year (assuming you like to keep your cards that long)

£200 would have been a definite purchase, but £250 is poor value.
cookie! nom nom 16th August 2012, 15:12 Quote
meh £250 is too much
Spreadie 16th August 2012, 15:15 Quote
After a quick skim-read (I'll settle down and read it fully tonight), it looks like it's a relatively poor overclocker. Not worth the money IMO.

I'll be going for a reference PCB 670.
Zinfandel 16th August 2012, 15:17 Quote
I don't know, it seems like a good card but it's just not enough of a step down from a 670.

Seems almost pointless.
Baz 16th August 2012, 15:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie
After a quick skim-read (I'll settle down and read it fully tonight), it looks like it's a relatively poor overclocker. Not worth the money IMO.

I'll be going for a reference PCB 670.

The limited memory interface means even at LOL clocks, it wont be as fast as 670, so for £40 you get about 10% extra performance. Worth it? Sure, if you've got £300 to spend!

Still think its a shame it wasn't a little less powerful and £200, but Nvidia's still positioned it well I think. Clearly everyone this gen wants you to spend lots, because bar the 7850 2GB, there's bugger all in the <£200 segment other than last generation's left overs.
Shirty 16th August 2012, 15:23 Quote
So it's a little bit faster than the 580. The 580 that will be in my rig until the 780 is released ;)
Zinfandel 16th August 2012, 15:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
The limited memory interface means even at LOL clocks, it wont be as fast as 670, so for £40 you get about 10% extra performance. Worth it? Sure, if you've got £300 to spend!

Still think its a shame it wasn't a little less powerful and £200, but Nvidia's still positioned it well I think. Clearly everyone this gen wants you to spend lots, because bar the 7850 2GB, there's bugger all in the <£200 segment other than last generation's left overs.

That's the point though.

What used to be the very luvcrative Mid Range £100 price point turne into the £150 point and is now the £250 point.

Balls to this.
Spreadie 16th August 2012, 15:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
The limited memory interface means even at LOL clocks, it wont be as fast as 670, so for £40 you get about 10% extra performance.
That's what I was worried about, when I heard it had a 192 bit memory interface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
Still think its a shame it wasn't a little less powerful and £200, but Nvidia's still positioned it well I think. Clearly everyone this gen wants you to spend lots, because bar the 7850 2GB, there's bugger all in the <£200 segment other than last generation's left overs.
TBH, I was hoping for a miracle - with the 660 touted as being faster than a 580, and a 580 capable of running 2560x1600.

I have a feeling, if I buy the 660, I'll regret not coughing up that little bit more for the 670.
r3loaded 16th August 2012, 15:31 Quote
I got my GTX 560 Ti for 180 quid soon after it launched. I don't think I'll be forking over a 70-100 pound premium for its successor, when a little more money gets me a 670. Nvidia still have nothing in the 150-200 range from the Kepler generation.
Harlequin 16th August 2012, 15:31 Quote
£250 and it kills AMD`s best oO
Crunch77 16th August 2012, 15:31 Quote
Was waiting for this to replace my GTX 460.

Went with a Radeon HD 7850 instead mainly due to price, but also due to the excellent OC'ing and low power requirements.
Baz 16th August 2012, 15:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie

I have a feeling, if I buy the 660, I'll regret not coughing up that little bit more for the 670.

That's a fair point; if you're spending £250 already, just find £40 and 670 2GB is a much more capable card at higher resolutions. GPUs are a big investment, so likely worth it for the future proofing aspect on resolution alone, unless you've just bought a nice 1920 screen of course.
Spreadie 16th August 2012, 15:43 Quote
Harry, what are the chances that nvidia's partners will be pumping out 580's at sub-£200 prices?

Afterall the 650 is likely to be a fair slower than the 580.

We're missing a £150-£200 card atm.
damien c 16th August 2012, 15:44 Quote
I would have got one of these for my dad as his GTX 560 is starting to struggle with games now, but at the price of it I will just get him a GTX 670 or make him wait till the GTX 780's are released and then, give him my GTX 680.

Bad move on the pricing Nvidia.
Harlequin 16th August 2012, 15:44 Quote
GTX 660 non ti and GTX 650Ti will be at those price points
jrs77 16th August 2012, 15:52 Quote
You can buy the reference GTX660Ti in german shops today starting at €289. nVidia is battling the 7950 here, and that doesn't look too bad imho, especially when we're looking at 30-40W less powerdraw under load, and the 7950 needs the boost to slightly beat the GTX660Ti.

There's nothing wrong witht the GTX660Ti. Price and performance is exactly what AMD has to offer and for 1080p gaming the 192-bit interface is of no interest here.

And let's talk currencies for a moment. You say that it only costs some £40 more to get a GTX670. 40 doesn't sound to big of a number sure. But now let's talk Euros or Dollar, and these 40 are suddenly 70, as the GTX670 starts at €359. For these €70 I can get a 120GB SSD in addition.
Just saying, that things might look somewhat different outside of the UK.

Anyways, here's waiting for the GTX660 nonTi to replace my GTX460.
Kodongo 16th August 2012, 16:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
£250 and it kills AMD`s best oO

Howzat? I thought the 7970GE was clearly ahead, stretching its legs even more at higher resolutions.
fdbh96 16th August 2012, 16:13 Quote
Glad I got the 7850 now, no way I could of justified a £250 gpu at 1080p. I suppose its down to the 550 now for the midrange.

Do we know if the will be releasing a 660, as this could be positioned at £200?
law99 16th August 2012, 16:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
You can buy the reference GTX660Ti in german shops today starting at €289. nVidia is battling the 7950 here, and that doesn't look too bad imho, especially when we're looking at 30-40W less powerdraw under load, and the 7950 needs the boost to slightly beat the GTX660Ti.

There's nothing wrong witht the GTX660Ti. Price and performance is exactly what AMD has to offer and for 1080p gaming the 192-bit interface is of no interest here.

And let's talk currencies for a moment. You say that it only costs some £40 more to get a GTX670. 40 doesn't sound to big of a number sure. But now let's talk Euros or Dollar, and these 40 are suddenly 70, as the GTX670 starts at €359. For these €70 I can get a 120GB SSD in addition.
Just saying, that things might look somewhat different outside of the UK.

Anyways, here's waiting for the GTX660 nonTi to replace my GTX460.

You raise a fair point... this card is just battling AMD pound for pound. In that case it does really well...

but if you are going to judge it historically based on value spread across the range, it does seem like they are bunching up the cards at the top a little too close. Maybe the 660, 650 ti and 650 are due to come in and clog up the remaining holes.
Eldorado 16th August 2012, 16:20 Quote
Hmm, I picked up my GTX460 for £135 a couple of months after launch. Lets hope the prices on these drop in the coming months, I can't justify £250, £170ish... maybe.
CrapBag 16th August 2012, 16:23 Quote
I can't afford to change my 560ti but was considering it if the 660ti panned out so I could hand my 560 down to my daughter but now I know it's going to £250 Nvidia can stick it. As others have already said it's too close in price to the 670 and it's a no brainer to spend that little bit extra.

I like the look of the MSI card though.
Harlequin 16th August 2012, 16:28 Quote
ocuk did say a few weeks back it`ll come in @ launch at £250
rollo 16th August 2012, 16:28 Quote
If your outside of the uk where we get ripped off its a great card at a decent price.

£40 is a lot of dollars or euros saving vs the 670.

Nice card fits where I thought it would everyone expecting a 660ti at sub £200 was in lala land
CrapBag 16th August 2012, 16:33 Quote
Not knowing the exact performance of the 660ti which I was expecting to be the 560ti's direct replacement I don't see why it's beng in lala land thinking it would be around the same sort of price.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums