bit-tech.net

Build your own Steam Box

Comments 1 to 25 of 47

Reply
Canon 18th July 2012, 14:51 Quote
I once did this crazy thing, I installed steam on my PC, it was already capable of running steam and all its games, I had space, it could even do all sorts of other things too. I saved myself a ton of money, time, physical space and I wasn't wasting electricity.

Madness, I know.
Edwards 18th July 2012, 15:06 Quote
I've got my PC wired to my TV with an HDMI cable, if I want to take steam to my TV I just change the main display on my PC and move to the sofa, controller in hand :)
Baz 18th July 2012, 15:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon
I once did this crazy thing, I installed steam on my PC, it was already capable of running steam and all its games, I had space, it could even do all sorts of other things too. I saved myself a ton of money, time, physical space and I wasn't wasting electricity.

Madness, I know.

The point of the article is for a set-top-box emulating system, as the mythical steam box would be.
Zinfandel 18th July 2012, 15:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
The point of the article is for a set-top-box emulating system, as the mythical steam box would be.

Yeah but let's be honest, it's a bit rubbish isn't it? It's a really awful build with a poor allocation of budget, there are a lot of better options if you want to use steam for gaming on your TV. (EDIT: And I mean specifically in SFF as well).
Snips 18th July 2012, 15:57 Quote
Ah, sorry we hadn't seen your detailed report Zinfandel. Showing us how you carefully selected the appropriate components based on merit, cost, looks and performance. I also missed how you carefully explained how you built the system with heat dispensation in mind along with maintaining performance whilst keeping this as quiet as possible. I also missed your test results showing your systems performance in the relevant games selected and the comparisons at different settings. It must have taken you ages to complete.

Of course, once we've seen all that, we can happily agree with your previous comment :p
xaser04 18th July 2012, 15:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinfandel
Yeah but let's be honest, it's a bit rubbish isn't it? It's a really awful build with a poor allocation of budget, there are a lot of better options if you want to use steam for gaming on your TV. (EDIT: And I mean specifically in SFF as well).

Indeed, as long as you don't mind increasing the size overall you can end up with something much more potent:

Case - Silverstone Sugo SU05 w/450w PSU - £120
MB - Asus H61 ITX - £60
CPU - i3 2120 - £90
Memory - 4GB DDR3 1600MT/s - £20
GPU - HD6850 - £84
HD - 120GB SSD - £70
OD - DVDRW - £12

Total spend is a smidge under £460.

Whilst the SU05 is overall larger it is hardly a behemoth. Personally I think the size trade off is worth it to get something that has considerably more gaming power.

If all you want to do is play the games suggested with a controller, surely a console is a better bet anyway?

EDIT: Thinking about it if you want something small that can still game what about a laptop? PC Specialist offer the Inferno 11.6" laptop with a i5-3210M / GT650M (GT640) for a little over £600 with Windows 7 x64. Plug it into a TV and you have a steam box yet you also have the advantage of being able to use it / game on it elsewhere easily.
tad2008 18th July 2012, 15:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinfandel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
The point of the article is for a set-top-box emulating system, as the mythical steam box would be.

Yeah but let's be honest, it's a bit rubbish isn't it? It's a really awful build with a poor allocation of budget, there are a lot of better options if you want to use steam for gaming on your TV. (EDIT: And I mean specifically in SFF as well).

Couldn't agree more, even with off the shelf components I had thought Bit Tech would have been able to come up with something far better.

The focus on SFF PC's on BT lately has been refreshing but also somewhat frustrating and I am really getting the urge to mod something that is not only minimalistically small but also whisper quiet and as close to being as powerful as a full size box.

It is still in the early planning stages with separate compartments to remove heat directly out of the case but have not decided which of 2 main designs to run with atm. Will have to get them drawn up in SketchUp and posted on the forums for some initial thoughts and feedback I think.
Jqim 18th July 2012, 16:10 Quote
So why no Llano?
Zinfandel 18th July 2012, 16:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips
Ah, sorry we hadn't seen your detailed report Zinfandel. Showing us how you carefully selected the appropriate components based on merit, cost, looks and performance. I also missed how you carefully explained how you built the system with heat dispensation in mind along with maintaining performance whilst keeping this as quiet as possible. I also missed your test results showing your systems performance in the relevant games selected and the comparisons at different settings. It must have taken you ages to complete.

Of course, once we've seen all that, we can happily agree with your previous comment :p

Sorry, I was quite reserved earlier, here's what I actually think.

That is one of the most awful builds I have ever seen and it's shameful that it's on the front page.

If there's a member on this forum who posts advice in the HW forum who couldn't put together a better selection of hardware for that budget for the purpose of gaming on a TV then they shouldn't be giving advice.

Also, who doesn't have a full HD tv these days? Ok probably a lot of people, but most techies will probably have a full HD TV.

Yeah, this might be the worst article I've ever seen on Bit Tech.

EDIT: Which is a massive shame because I actually quite like the idea of a Steam box.
Marvin-HHGTTG 18th July 2012, 16:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jqim
So why no Llano?

This. Surely a Llano ITX motherboard and a A3870K will perform better in games, use similar or less power, be cheaper and so on...
mi1ez 18th July 2012, 16:27 Quote
Is it my imagination, or are there lots of pictures missing from this article?
MrJay 18th July 2012, 16:28 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin-HHGTTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jqim
So why no Llano?

This. Surely a Llano ITX motherboard and a A3870K will perform better in games, use similar or less power, be cheaper and so on...

Yeah id have probably gone with the same, then again im dieing for someone to commision me a Liano build!

Havent had a chance to play yet : (

If i remmeber correctly you ca pair with a low end 5XXX/6XXXX Series card to for some hybrid crossfire action?

As shown in this unboxing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLJcAyF5cC8&feature=plcp
Parge 18th July 2012, 16:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaser04
Indeed, as long as you don't mind increasing the size overall you can end up with something much more potent:

Case - Silverstone Sugo SU05 w/450w PSU - £120
MB - Asus H61 ITX - £60
CPU - i3 2120 - £90
Memory - 4GB DDR3 1600MT/s - £20
GPU - HD6850 - £84
HD - 120GB SSD - £70
OD - DVDRW - £12

Total spend is a smidge under £460.

A far better build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinfandel
Yeah but let's be honest, it's a bit rubbish isn't it? It's a really awful build with a poor allocation of budget, there are a lot of better options if you want to use steam for gaming on your TV. (EDIT: And I mean specifically in SFF as well).

I agree, however small it is that case is godawful, and the 96C CPU temps smacks of bad component choices. Why not pick up a HTPC case like the SilverStone LC03S-V which is only £59.99 at Scan. It would fit in perfectly with the rest of someones AV gear and provide better temps and acoustic dampening that that terrible Cheiftech chassis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin-HHGTTG
This. Surely a Llano ITX motherboard and a A3870K will perform better in games, use similar or less power, be cheaper and so on...

Again - an 3870k is another obvious choice here! An ITX A75 mobo can be had for £70, and the CPU itself for around £80 and it will play most basic games.

We are a tough crowd to please!
mi1ez 18th July 2012, 16:37 Quote
And isn't page 1 just pages 2-5 combined?
CozaMcCoza 18th July 2012, 16:44 Quote
10m HDMI cable and wireless controller for XBox360 and hook it up to your PC that way. Minimal cost and no hardware constraints as your main rig would be used...
Combatus 18th July 2012, 16:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez
And isn't page 1 just pages 2-5 combined?

I've just edited it as we had a paragraph or two copied over. Sorted now!
tonyd223 18th July 2012, 17:02 Quote
The new Cooler Master Elite 120 case at £34.78 from Scan, that get's my vote for a case. And it would be nice to see an AMD build for SOMETHING..., especially as you can do the hybrid xfire thing...
ChromeX 18th July 2012, 17:06 Quote
Love the idea, hate the execution. For the price you've paid here, an extra 1 or £200 pounds could have built you a fully fledged system. I know that's kinda missing the point, but why limit yourself when for just a little bit extra, you could have so much more?
longweight 18th July 2012, 17:20 Quote
Why aren't the benchmarks run at 1080?
phuzz 18th July 2012, 17:30 Quote
Instead of a low profile cooler, I'd go for a side blowing one like this, orientated to blow out of the holes just next to the cpu socket. It would have the advantage of pulling air over the chipset heatsink as well.
I'm pretty sure it would fit, (after 10 mins reading through Intel's LGA1155 spec sheet).
rpsgc 18th July 2012, 17:38 Quote
I especially like the part where the author complains about the i5 2400 vs 2400S. As if lowering the Vcore is so difficult. Yes, the only difference between them is the voltage. What a surprise eh?
Aracos 18th July 2012, 17:57 Quote
Well despite the negative feedback I thought it was quite interesting, hell it is able to play games at higher detail than the 360 can and it is still much more versatile due to its core i5 CPU. Job well done I'd say!
ChromeX 18th July 2012, 18:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aracos
hell it is able to play games at higher detail than the 360 can and it is still much more versatile due to its core i5 CPU.

Considering it's about £300 more expensive than a 360, I should bloody well hope so :P
mrbens 18th July 2012, 18:27 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards
I've got my PC wired to my TV with an HDMI cable, if I want to take steam to my TV I just change the main display on my PC and move to the sofa, controller in hand :)

Me too, and it's great for watching all the films that are saved on my server on my HDTV in surround sound :)
fdbh96 18th July 2012, 18:58 Quote
Quite an interesting article really, showing that most games don't need a fully fledged pc to run decently.
A good comparison would be the image quality difference between the 'steam box' and a PS3/xbox.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums