bit-tech.net

Aquacomputer Aquaero 5 XT Review

Comments 1 to 25 of 26

Reply
HandMadeAndroid 6th October 2011, 09:41 Quote
The point of spending the price of a computer again on your computer is?
Xlog 6th October 2011, 09:42 Quote
Only one question:
Why the preview post on xtremesystems forum is more informative than this review?

Oh, and the site you link to was last updated in 2007...
andrew8200m 6th October 2011, 09:47 Quote
Another mag review posted on the net a few weeks later :(
Korvus 6th October 2011, 09:48 Quote
Have one of the Aquaero 4's in my current rig, very nice piece of kit. This looks even better but I'd probably go for the cheaper one.
bodkin 6th October 2011, 09:52 Quote
Seriously, another mag article! You cannot seriously claim there is enough info in there to call this a review! I hate seeing my favorite site going down like this.
Picarro 6th October 2011, 09:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandMadeAndroid
The point of spending the price of a computer again on your computer is?

People who buy this will have computers in the price range of 15-2000£. This is not for your average Joe which is also evident from the "Extreme Ultra" badge it was awarded.
HandMadeAndroid 6th October 2011, 10:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picarro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandMadeAndroid
The point of spending the price of a computer again on your computer is?

People who buy this will have computers in the price range of 15-2000£. This is not for your average Joe which is also evident from the "Extreme Ultra" badge it was awarded.

My computer cost around this, but it doesn't need water cooling, it runs cool and quite. I built it myself for working with graphics apps.
Astroreeper 6th October 2011, 12:18 Quote
This is a bit of a shallow review. People who have used Aquacomputer systems would never use anything else. They are aimed at the top end enthusiast, and as so are loved by them.

So I would say, that because of sloppy reading of the material that was in the package, much of the information is wrong too.

This isn't a review, it's a snapshot, and lazy reporting of the best watercooling and fan control system in the world bar none.

Just looking at the site page gives you vastly more information, and correct information too. http://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=2667
memeroot 6th October 2011, 12:27 Quote
but a water cooled computer looks cool... not as cool as oil but way cooler than air....

even if technically the reverse is prob true of the temps.
Woodspoon 6th October 2011, 13:10 Quote
I have the Aquaero 4 in my pc, just because at the time I wanted a really nice looking lcd front panel and good fan controller.
I couldn't ever see myself changing from it now the quality, looks and features are fantastic, their expensive but well worth it.
This looks like a very nice addition to the family although I'm not sure why you'd want to water cool it :s
Baz 6th October 2011, 15:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlog
Only one question:
Why the preview post on xtremesystems forum is more informative than this review?

Oh, and the site you link to was last updated in 2007...

OK, first up, yes, I linked the english website that hasn't been updated in a while; changed to German website that's current.

However, comparing a review which tells you about the user experience of installing and using the product to a 3 thousand word product announcement is ridiculous. Of course it goes into huge detail, it's a press release! We covered the Aquaero's features, but rather than spam spec tables though, we wanted to focus on what it's like to use the product, which I think the review conveys well. It offers unrivalled control, but isn't the easiest product to setup, and is expensive too.
tigermain 6th October 2011, 21:39 Quote
Im seriously disappointed, considering how much they dwell on the complexity of the equipment this is the most pathetic review, Bit-Tech used to set a standard when I used to run Moddin'.net but now its just turning into a corporate waste unfortunately, I miss Koolvin
TWeaK 7th October 2011, 09:40 Quote
With regards to BT releasing magazine articles, you can't blame them for that. They're sister publications, and as such there will always be some content overlap. To create value for the magazine, the articles will always be printed there first. However, being online and instant, news comes to the website first, so it's just a trade-off.

However, the points on the quality of the article I think are valid. Given the different audiences in the mag and the website, I think we could've done with a bit more depth to this review for its online publication, especially since this is a product many people hold dear.

Also, what's up with the slow news lately? Too busy setting up for Dennis Con?

OT I think this is a great product, and definitely worth the price if you can afford it. However, I do think the review score should maybe reflect the fact that most people who get this would be fine searching through forums finding the best way to set it up and not relying much on the manual.
Baz 7th October 2011, 11:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermain
Im seriously disappointed, considering how much they dwell on the complexity of the equipment this is the most pathetic review, Bit-Tech used to set a standard when I used to run Moddin'.net but now its just turning into a corporate waste unfortunately, I miss Koolvin

Rather than just being derogatory, help us improve; what could we have added here; what did we not include enough detail on. We covered plenty of its features such as the controller's ability to setup complex cooling curves, its software, it's fan capacity, it's temperature sensor capacity, it's compatibility with third party sensors and pumps, its power output, its IR remote, its touch screen, the fact you can tie multiple fans to sensors. You don't need 3K words to convey this, and while I know there are features that we haven't covered here, such as the optional power monitoring, RGB LED support and Media PC remote support,, I still think the review is a solid overview of the Aquaero's capabilities and user experience. Having used the product myself, even with online manuals and support, it's still a pig to setup!
bobwya 7th October 2011, 18:12 Quote
This is a subject I have quite a lot of interest in... I've played about a PIC controller and PWM temperature fan control (using MosFET drivers). In the end I put the project down :-) But I did have some working kit - just no UI to access it...

This review was not review (as has already been stated). I want to know whether the controller uses PWM pulsed square wave output (if so what frequency) or only voltage curves? Any fan/pump stalls? Is it able to supply say a pair of Liang DDC Pro pumps and a group of 8+ rad. fans 24/7 without failure (i.e. some kind of "real world" load test)? Can you stabilise the load temperature of a CPU/GPU - to a narrow range - by controlling both pumps and fans?

Come on guys - it feels like you are doing this as a hobby (and one you are perhaps getting bored of!!) Some of the hardware podcasts show this clearly (lots of "professionals" who really don't know what they are talking about - I could cite comments about Intel's planner transistors as an example of this)...

I think I'll not be following the bit-tech site for much longer...
Nexxo 7th October 2011, 18:28 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
Rather than just being derogatory, help us improve; what could we have added here; what did we not include enough detail on. We covered plenty of its features such as the controller's ability to setup complex cooling curves, its software, it's fan capacity, it's temperature sensor capacity, it's compatibility with third party sensors and pumps, its power output, its IR remote, its touch screen, the fact you can tie multiple fans to sensors. You don't need 3K words to convey this, and while I know there are features that we haven't covered here, such as the optional power monitoring, RGB LED support and Media PC remote support,, I still think the review is a solid overview of the Aquaero's capabilities and user experience. Having used the product myself, even with online manuals and support, it's still a pig to setup!

Would it be possible to lend it out to a reader for a few weeks to do a detailed test and review of it? Some members have the skillz to do a good job. Or we could ask pros like Mayhem, Coolmiester; guys with a proven track record.

We are sitting on a huge expert base in our membership here. Let's use them.
bodkin 7th October 2011, 18:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwya
This is a subject I have quite a lot of interest in... I've played about a PIC controller and PWM temperature fan control (using MosFET drivers). In the end I put the project down :-) But I did have some working kit - just no UI to access it...

This review was not review (as has already been stated). I want to know whether the controller uses PWM pulsed square wave output (if so what frequency) or only voltage curves? Any fan/pump stalls? Is it able to supply say a pair of Liang DDC Pro pumps and a group of 8+ rad. fans 24/7 without failure (i.e. some kind of "real world" load test)? Can you stabilise the load temperature of a CPU/GPU - to a narrow range - by controlling both pumps and fans?

Come on guys - it feels like you are doing this as a hobby (and one you are perhaps getting bored of!!) Some of the hardware podcasts show this clearly (lots of "professionals" who really don't know what they are talking about - I could cite comments about Intel's planner transistors as an example of this)...

I think I'll not be following the bit-tech site for much longer...

QTF... sadly.

I just dont understand how such a complex product can be "revied" in a single page. Baz, you say look at the info we have given. All you have done is tell me what it does. Not how good it is at each particular thing ect
thetrashcanman 7th October 2011, 22:58 Quote
Looks like I shall be changing the Mcubed T-Balance BigNG in my watercooling system :P
JaredC01 9th October 2011, 05:28 Quote
This is the first time I've visited BT in probably two weeks now, and I'm once again putting it on the back burner... There are no informative reviews, no useful articles, nothing. A few years ago this would have been a 10 page review, and now we get a two paragraph article?

On top of that, the amount of ads I have to block just to look at this site in the first place anymore is over the top...

Sorry BT, but I'm done.
ec928 9th October 2011, 10:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandMadeAndroid
The point of spending the price of a computer again on your computer is?

For some, it's a hobby.
ec928 9th October 2011, 10:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandMadeAndroid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picarro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandMadeAndroid
The point of spending the price of a computer again on your computer is?

People who buy this will have computers in the price range of 15-2000£. This is not for your average Joe which is also evident from the "Extreme Ultra" badge it was awarded.

My computer cost around this, but it doesn't need water cooling, it runs cool and quite. I built it myself for working with graphics apps.

No one 'needs watercooling'. It's quite straightforward to make a good air coolled computer.
tigermain 9th October 2011, 13:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermain
Im seriously disappointed, considering how much they dwell on the complexity of the equipment this is the most pathetic review, Bit-Tech used to set a standard when I used to run Moddin'.net but now its just turning into a corporate waste unfortunately, I miss Koolvin

Rather than just being derogatory, help us improve; what could we have added here; what did we not include enough detail on. We covered plenty of its features such as the controller's ability to setup complex cooling curves, its software, it's fan capacity, it's temperature sensor capacity, it's compatibility with third party sensors and pumps, its power output, its IR remote, its touch screen, the fact you can tie multiple fans to sensors. You don't need 3K words to convey this, and while I know there are features that we haven't covered here, such as the optional power monitoring, RGB LED support and Media PC remote support,, I still think the review is a solid overview of the Aquaero's capabilities and user experience. Having used the product myself, even with online manuals and support, it's still a pig to setup!

I hardly think I need to explain what needs to be improved, its clear that this review is thin on the ground from all the other comments, you guys have been writing for years and know the quality and detail of review your customers expect.

For starters though theres 2 images, which tbh look like the press shots?!?! Theres not even a picture of the screen in use, which is what I would have liked to see most, not to mention a rear shot either.

Look at your own comparative product review: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2010/08/22/mcubed-t-balancer-mining-fan-controller/1 a much simpler device yet that has twice the review this does
Woodspoon 10th October 2011, 02:52 Quote
Yes a couple of pictures of the screen in operation would have been nice.
When I brought my aquaero 4 a large part of why I went for it was aesthetic so it would have been nice to see some shots of this screen in operation showing some of the various monitors.
What colour is the lcd ilumination display anyway?
Baz 11th October 2011, 21:27 Quote
OK, first up, I'm not going to let this lie; I'm determined to address your points, as it's you guys who make the site run.

First up
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermain


For starters though theres 2 images, which tbh look like the press shots?!?! Theres not even a picture of the screen in use, which is what I would have liked to see most, not to mention a rear shot either.

I'll admit, I share your opinion here, I'd have liked to have included more product photography and this is something I'm pushing the reviews team to do more of; on the job hands-on photography. However, the shots we have included are our own, and are professionally shot in house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodkin
QTF... sadly.
Baz, you say look at the info we have given. All you have done is tell me what it does. Not how good it is at each particular thing ect

What you're saying is you don't just want specs, you want opinion, but the review has this. We call the touch screen superfluous, discuss how well the cooling curves worked well, and how tough the unit was to set up. Can we really test a 4-pin fan header for performance - is it not just a case of it does or it doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwya
This is a subject I have quite a lot of interest in... I've played about a PIC controller and PWM temperature fan control (using MosFET drivers). In the end I put the project down :-) But I did have some working kit - just no UI to access it...

This review was not review (as has already been stated). I want to know whether the controller uses PWM pulsed square wave output (if so what frequency) or only voltage curves? Any fan/pump stalls? Is it able to supply say a pair of Liang DDC Pro pumps and a group of 8+ rad. fans 24/7 without failure (i.e. some kind of "real world" load test)? Can you stabilise the load temperature of a CPU/GPU - to a narrow range - by controlling both pumps and fans?

This article is a review; it's an account of our time with the product and our opinion of it following our experiences; it is not a spec sheet. I can appreciate your enthusiasm for the product and subject, but we simply do not have the time or resources to perform this degree of testing you suggest. We're a business, and our reviewers have deadlines; sadly we can't spend a whole week playing with a fan controller, no matter how shiny it is!(Incidentally you can indeed stabilise temperatures by setting a target temperature and tying in whatever peripherals you want into it. The review states a max output of 60W, which I think a pair of DDCs and 8+ rad fans would most likely surpass.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredC01
This is the first time I've visited BT in probably two weeks now, and I'm once again putting it on the back burner... There are no informative reviews, no useful articles, nothing. A few years ago this would have been a 10 page review, and now we get a two paragraph article?

On top of that, the amount of ads I have to block just to look at this site in the first place anymore is over the top...

Sorry BT, but I'm done.

No informative reviews? 7 Page GA-A75 motherboard review, 7-page GA-Z68AP motherboard review, 4 page Corsair 400r case review, 5 page Samsung SSD review

No useful articles? All about Ivy Bridge, huge 600W PSU round-up, How to Overclock Sandy-Bridge-E (world exclusive at publishing), Why we need Origin (100+ comments, although most of them telling me I'm wrong.

Our fan controller reviews used to be 10 pages long? Scythe kaze Master review, 2008, 2 pages, Zalman Fan controller review 2007, 3 short pages, How to scratch build your own PWM controller, 2001 - 2 pages

We might not be as verbose as some of the other tech sites, but that's because when we wrote longer reviews no one read them! As such, we try and keep concise and to the point, without descending into spec sheet recitals.

And on top of that, you block our ads too.... (except for that O2 one a few weeks ago)

I'll admit, this isn't our finest review, and would have benefited from additional photography and a little more added detail looking at the more detailed features of the Aquaero. Following the feedback in this thread, that's something we'll take on-board and look to improve upon in the future in all our reviews. However, the way people have reacted in this thread you'd think we'd reviewed the fan controller as a doorstop.

I'm really proud of the work the whole team does on bit-tech; we work hard, under tight deadlines and try our best to keep our content interesting and impartial whilst remaining appropriate to the audience. We might have mis-judged this on this occasion, but to have you guys so vehemently rage on not just the review, but the whole state of the site is this way is saddening. The team is extremely knowledgeable and experienced and we genuinely work in the field that we love. We mod our cases, watercool our systems, and still coo over the shiny shiny when it comes out of the box, not to mention spend far too much time playing games. We write the site for ourselves as much as you (and get paid to do it, bonus!) and the vast majority of the time, this works out well. Obviously in this case, we under-estimated what you guys expected, but we'll take this on-board and improve next time.
mdshann 12th October 2011, 01:03 Quote
You guys mostly do a good job, and I can see that your points are valid, Baz. What I would have liked to have seen is taking a review system and adding a water cooling kit to it, getting some idle and load temps as well as sound levels and then adding the fan controller to it and taking the same measurements. A few other things I would have like to know were how well does the remote work in media center, does it work in any other software such as xmbc, is the green circled button a mouse, how far away were you able to use it, etc.? I also would have liked to see what the included waterblock was for. I have been reading this site for years and I don't intend to stop anytime soon!

Oh and about the advertisements, I use adblock. I turned it off for this page and count 6 advertisements! Your background frame uses about 20% of my screen, and then the ads along the right hand side use around another 20% leaving around 60% actual content space. Granted I am not on a wide screen monitor at the moment, but I think that is a bit much. I don't mind banner ads along the top and bottom, say 1 banner on the top and one on the bottom of the page followed by a google text ad at the very bottom. Honestly, the one of the biggest reasons I block ads is so many pages these days have crappy video ads that start playing video AND audio which is quite enraging when trying to figure out which of 20 or so tabs is making noise! Thankfully, I have not encountered that here. I have altogether stopped going to sites that otherwise had good content because of that obnoxiousness! Another problem with ads is many times the site operators are not responsible for or even aware of what is put in the ad spaces that they sell on their site, so often times advertisements will contain viral payloads that get installed just by loading the otherwise safe page. A lot of people who run adblocking software, along with addons like NoScript, do so to protect themselves.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums