bit-tech.net

PNY XLR8 Liquid Cooled GTX 580 OC 1.5GB Review

Comments 1 to 25 of 62

Reply
andrew8200m 26th September 2011, 12:15 Quote
oh please...
Krikkit 26th September 2011, 12:28 Quote
Needs a proper full-cover block for long-term life imo. Decent idea though, about time someone tried it. :)
Picarro 26th September 2011, 12:29 Quote
Full cover block and a better fan on the radiator and then it would be perfect.
Parge 26th September 2011, 12:34 Quote
Nice review guys! Interesting product, i've wondered how they perform! Strange that its not a full cover block though!
damien c 26th September 2011, 12:46 Quote
To be honest if I was going to buy a card designed for watercooling I would, buy one with the waterblock already attached to it.

Yes they may cost more but because they are full cover blocks they allow you to use larger rad's and better pump's with better quieter fans.

My next build unless the PCI-E 3.0 card's are out by then will have 2 GTX 580's with the waterblock's already attached and, will be cooled by a triple rad for each card with 3 silent high cfm fans on them and the fans I will be using are 19db 108cfm fans from scan, instead of my current 38db 110cfm fans.

Nice try PNY but could be allot better.

Nice review guys!
SlowMotionSuicide 26th September 2011, 12:52 Quote
Make the pump/block combo fullcover, up the radiator to 240mm, throw in some decent fans (Scythe GT) and make the hoses long enough so the radiator can be placed to the top or front bays of a case. Then we might start talking about a winning product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parge
Strange that its not a full cover block though!

Fullcovers costs *a lot* of money compared to a GPU only blocks. Also, this whole card has a stink of half-assed rushing on it, they probably just slapped in a regular CPU all-in-one cooler and called it a day.

It's a nice forerunner product though, hopefully someone will carry it through.
Picarro 26th September 2011, 12:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c
To be honest if I was going to buy a card designed for watercooling I would, buy one with the waterblock already attached to it.

Yes they may cost more but because they are full cover blocks they allow you to use larger rad's and better pump's with better quieter fans.

My next build unless the PCI-E 3.0 card's are out by then will have 2 GTX 580's with the waterblock's already attached and, will be cooled by a triple rad for each card with 3 silent high cfm fans on them and the fans I will be using are 19db 108cfm fans from scan, instead of my current 38db 110cfm fans.

Nice try PNY but could be allot better.

Nice review guys!

You do know that the dB and CFM ratings that company's provide are absolutely rubbish, right?
Fuganater 26th September 2011, 13:02 Quote
Maybe we will see a unit like this in the future but with a full coverage block. Its still a cool idea even though it did so badly.
damien c 26th September 2011, 13:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picarro
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c
To be honest if I was going to buy a card designed for watercooling I would, buy one with the waterblock already attached to it.

Yes they may cost more but because they are full cover blocks they allow you to use larger rad's and better pump's with better quieter fans.

My next build unless the PCI-E 3.0 card's are out by then will have 2 GTX 580's with the waterblock's already attached and, will be cooled by a triple rad for each card with 3 silent high cfm fans on them and the fans I will be using are 19db 108cfm fans from scan, instead of my current 38db 110cfm fans.

Nice try PNY but could be allot better.

Nice review guys!

You do know that the dB and CFM ratings that company's provide are absolutely rubbish, right?

Well I have at the moment some loud high cfm fans and I have 3 of the other fans which are high cfm but quiet and they are actually quieter.

If they were so rubbish though then why are they still providing them as surely the should be dealt with for false advertisement?
Xir 26th September 2011, 13:21 Quote
I may have missed it but.

in the "Call of Duty" 1920x1080...the GTX 590 is missing?
greypilgers 26th September 2011, 13:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picarro
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c
To be honest if I was going to buy a card designed for watercooling I would, buy one with the waterblock already attached to it.

Yes they may cost more but because they are full cover blocks they allow you to use larger rad's and better pump's with better quieter fans.

My next build unless the PCI-E 3.0 card's are out by then will have 2 GTX 580's with the waterblock's already attached and, will be cooled by a triple rad for each card with 3 silent high cfm fans on them and the fans I will be using are 19db 108cfm fans from scan, instead of my current 38db 110cfm fans.

Nice try PNY but could be allot better.

Nice review guys!

You do know that the dB and CFM ratings that company's provide are absolutely rubbish, right?

Well I have at the moment some loud high cfm fans and I have 3 of the other fans which are high cfm but quiet and they are actually quieter.

If they were so rubbish though then why are they still providing them as surely the should be dealt with for false advertisement?

If you refer back to the article CPC did a little while ago you'll see that in the absolute majority of cases a quoted dB and air pressure/flow level are not met, and in some cases not met by a large distance. I still keep that article as very useful for purchasing fans.
Lance 26th September 2011, 13:40 Quote
Its a shame this didn't work, I've been wanting something like this for a while now.

Sounds like a great idea, but why didn't they use one of their 2x120 radiators models?
Matticus 26th September 2011, 14:22 Quote
Nice idea, hopefully it can be improved upon more and we will see more like it with better designs.

When a friend mentioned to me about this card with "all-in-one liquid cooling" instead of thinking of the solution they used, I envisaged a radiator mounted over the card with fans blowing down. Then I thought to myself, that is going to be taking up at least 5 slots. In my defence, while the idea would make for HUGE cards, it would help to deal with pcb temps, and then exhaust the heat inside the case and warm up everything else...nevermind... :/
damien c 26th September 2011, 14:25 Quote
I have seen that test but they didn't test the fan's I have.

I currently have 3x Scythe Kazi Jyuni 1900RPM 37db 110cfm fan's, which replaced some corsair stock fan's from a corsair case, which I used on a radiator and these are far better and even better than some 2500rpm fan's I used.

This card still needs a better fan and rad and pump then it will overclock further and be quieter I reckon.
capmoq 26th September 2011, 14:26 Quote
The only drawback to this card I see is the price. With like -150$ from the current price I would definitely buy that card. Great work PNY.
Paradigm Shifter 26th September 2011, 15:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c
I have seen that test but they didn't test the fan's I have.

I currently have 3x Scythe Kazi Jyuni 1900RPM 37db 110cfm fan's, which replaced some corsair stock fan's from a corsair case, which I used on a radiator and these are far better and even better than some 2500rpm fan's I used.

This card still needs a better fan and rad and pump then it will overclock further and be quieter I reckon.

I was using a few of them a while ago as well. They're good fans if you want a lot of air moved somewhere and there is no resistance to airflow (say, out of a case where you've cut the grill out or have a less restrictive grill) but in any other scenario CFM doesn't tell the whole story; static pressure is also extremely important - particularly if you're asking the fans to push air through something which will restrict the airflow significantly (like, for example, a high-FPI radiator or a dust filter).

While those Scythe fans look great on paper and aren't actually too bad if they're not fighting an airflow obstruction, give them a high fin-count radiator or heatsink to blow air through, and they really, really struggle. :( They wouldn't cope well with that radiator at all.
damien c 26th September 2011, 16:09 Quote
I know on the XSPC RX360 rad that I used 3 of them fans on they were fine, and then when I put 6 on it in push/pull they were amazing but the pump I was using was not strong enough to pump the fluid through it so at the moment I have the rad on the shelf ready for my next build.
Paradigm Shifter 26th September 2011, 16:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c
I know on the XSPC RX360 rad that I used 3 of them fans on they were fine, and then when I put 6 on it in push/pull they were amazing but the pump I was using was not strong enough to pump the fluid through it so at the moment I have the rad on the shelf ready for my next build.

The RX series is a really low FPI radiator, so it does well with slow fans, and those with lower static pressure. :)

The RS series has higher FPI, on the other hand and doesn't do as well with them. I tested an RS240 with the Scythes, got appalling temps, swapped them for a pair of 38mm thick fans that were ~2/3rds the CFM, but significantly higher static pressure, and got vastly improved temps (all else being equal)...

I bought the RS rad out of curiosity and curiosity was sated - it was pants without very powerful fans on it. ;)
Action_Parsnip 26th September 2011, 17:07 Quote
What an odd-ball card :S

Nice review though guys.
tonyd223 26th September 2011, 17:21 Quote
pictures of where you put the rad?
thehippoz 26th September 2011, 17:42 Quote
ever since switched to ati I haven't been happier- least for me.. I use it for other things than gaming- just a better card all the way around.. sit rock at 60fps and runs some crazy ass times in pyrit (almost 3x as fast as nvidia) and eyefinity works well

these closed loops are not exactly the best thing to recommend either.. just read the corsair podcast thread, you'll see one of them in action =p proper water cooling is the way to go.. bazz story with the pump failing and the loop leaking coolant all over your expensive equipment is not unique

not saying this would do that.. but it's a very common problem, people have lost hundreds or thousands in equipment they had to replace
ziggy444 26th September 2011, 18:47 Quote
Oh come on - £440 for a graphics card that's hot and noisy! You've got to be crazy to buy this.
For that money I'd honestly expect perfection.
How many do PNY expect to sell in the current economic climate?
idontwannaknow 26th September 2011, 19:27 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz
ever since switched to ati I haven't been happier- least for me.. I use it for other things than gaming- just a better card all the way around.. sit rock at 60fps and runs some crazy ass times in pyrit (almost 3x as fast as nvidia) and eyefinity works well

these closed loops are not exactly the best thing to recommend either.. just read the corsair podcast thread, you'll see one of them in action =p proper water cooling is the way to go.. bazz story with the pump failing and the loop leaking coolant all over your expensive equipment is not unique

not saying this would do that.. but it's a very common problem, people have lost hundreds or thousands in equipment they had to replace


Those problems I have typically seen with the CoolIT built products.
idontwannaknow 26th September 2011, 19:32 Quote
I DONT GET IT.

It seemed to win all the performance tests and it was fantastic at overclocking but it got a 61%

The only problem I saw was that the stock radiator fan needed to be swapped. Isn't that something we do with all our coolers? I always use aftermarket fans.

As far as I can tell $519 it is only $50 more than the cheapest GTX580 on Newegg.com NOT $150 as the review says. That seems pretty reasonable to me for one of the best performances in all your tests.

Something smells wrong...
l1m1tl3ss 26th September 2011, 20:59 Quote
Just joined so I could post guys... Found this review while i was doing a search for the product. Nice and Informative. Just a few things Like some other users have said most of the time we swap out stock fans for better more effective ones. Up until recently was running a Asus GTX480 and tried the Coolit omni cooler solution for this as the stock is real loud, However the unit was faulty and had nothing but problems with Coolit trying to replace it so gave up then tried a zalman vf3000 and some how fried the GFX chip ( Probably human error) But I like the idea of contained water cooling solutions so I ended up ordering this PNY XLR8 as replacment.

Yes the £450 price tag is a little high but with the current supplier offering a games pack that consists of Shogun TW 2,Lost Planet 2,Operation Flash point red river and the current Nvidia game give away Batman Arkham City It dont seem to bad as the cheapest 580 I could find was £350 then add to this a discount code giving £25 off it reall was a good deal for me.

Once installed and up and running ill be happy to post some more r/l results...

Hope this helps someone
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums