Happy 30th Birthday, PC

GuilleAcoustic 14th August 2011, 10:01 Quote
Originally Posted by Deders
Probably more like 30MB

I second, my IBM 486 was a high end (at its time) one and had 200MB and 16MB of RAM.
Coltch 15th August 2011, 09:15 Quote
Started out with a ZX81 and Speccy then a C64, the first PC I used was my dads Sanyo MBC550 running MS-DOS v1.25, this was followed by an Amstrad PC1640 (god I hated GEM!) then an RM 386sx laptop, RM 486dx2 66 which I upgraded with the Pentium Overdrive chip 83Mhz!.
Dedlite 15th August 2011, 11:03 Quote
Right then, in this order (from, er...1979 );

Sinclair ZX81
ZX Spectrum 48k
ZX Spectrum 2+
Atari 520STFM
Amiga 500 (x2)
Amiga 1200
Amiga 1500 (pretty much a B2000)
Amiga 4000/30

My first PC (swapped my 4000/30 for it!) a Pentium 90, 64 megs of RAM

My first upgrade? A K6-166 CPU!
Journeyer 15th August 2011, 12:23 Quote
The first PC that I owned personally was a Mitac something, 286 12Mhz with a whopping 4Mb of RAM and a 10Mb HDD. It even had two (count'em: TWO) floppy drives; a 5.25" and a 3.5"!

Now that I think about it, weren't there some odd 3" and 2.5" floppies floating around at some point, never quite making it into the mainstream? And now that I'm thinking about this, what happened to the promised minidisc data drives? *off to google*

First computer I owned was an Amstrad something or other (it was a CPC464). It had a dedicated green/white monitor and an integrated tape drive. I have also owned a Commodore 128 for which I got a floppy drive!

Edit: turns out they did try to market several various formats of floppies throughout the eighties; 2", 2.5", 2.8" and 3" drives where in production at different times. Amstrads CPC642 and upwards came with an integrated 3" floppy drive for instance.
getDownShep 15th August 2011, 14:46 Quote
My first pc was the Tandy TRS 80 Color Computer, the one that looked like a BBC micro, I think it had a whopping 32k of memory. Still got it and it still works
Yadda 16th August 2011, 18:23 Quote
Excellent article which brought back memories from 1988 when I was an eager 16 yo studying a BTEC National diploma in Computing. Gone were the BBC Micros of secondary school, the college had "proper" computers - IBM XT workstations networked to a 286 server!

My first computer was a Commodore 64 in the early 1980's although the first computer I bought myself was a Amiga A500, in the late 80's. My first "PC" was a Cyrix P166 with 16MB RAM which I bought around 1997/98.
AmEv 17th August 2011, 06:05 Quote
My first PC
Micron
PIII 550 MHz
128 MB SDRAM
8 GB HDD
Windows 98

First family PC (that I used)
AST
???? ???? MHz
??? MB (EDO?)
??? MB HDD
Windows 3.1

First family PC:
Stock IBM 8088 (used)
RobinB13 20th September 2011, 12:07 Quote
Great review guys and really glad that the keyboard did it's job (regardless of it being German!). My memories? Selling Zenith 8086/8088 PC's in a computer shop in Luton along with the extremely expensive Visicalc software, then the arrival of Amstrad's PC1512 and PC1640 to blow everything else out of the water by price and features (even though they weren't that good). Mind you, we sold anything from the Spectrums, C64's, C128, Plus4, BBC B's, Acorn Atom, Amstrad CPC464 & 128, PCW8256 & PCW8512 word processors, Ataris of various forms including ST/STE, Amigas from the A1500 to the very first A500's in the country and beyond (main Commodore Dealer) and even obscure machines like the MSX series, Oric and the Sinclair QL......my god, I don't half feel old now.....First computer? ZX81. In order:

ZX 81
Atari 800 (with tape deck - then with Disk Drive)
Atari 800XL
Atari 520ST
Atari 520STE
Atari 8088 processor PC Clone
Amiga A500
Pentium P75
IBM Aptiva Pentium 2-233
Quantex P3-550
Self Build PC's - 2 different motherboards with 2 different AMD processors, same chassis & peripherals
Sony Vaio All-in-One (current machine)
Dell Laptop
Samsung Netbook

Phew!

Memories - having to buy matching twin memory at a time for the P75 machine (very expensive), buying an upgrade chip to fit on the existing Intel one supplied to make it faster....and it not working. My dad's PC's needing countless upgrades of sound-cards and CD rom drives to make them worthwhile in using at all. And the oldest memory? Having a discussion with a PC manufacturer in Reigate about Hercules graphics chips....WooHoo...we knew how to live then eh??

Keep it up chaps!
vanguard88 23rd December 2011, 11:58 Quote
The photo in this article showing an IBM and AMD 8088 should be corrected the IBM Chip is a Math Coprocessor not the CPU.