Happy 30th Birthday, PC

outlawaol 12th August 2011, 08:43 Quote
Computing is older than me by about 5 months.... I know why I was born 5 months later now... :D

Ironically there is a tshirt floating around at my parents house that has me printed on it, picture taken with one of the 'first' digital cameras (I was a baby). Apparently at some fair or something (a booth type thing). Geek on IBM... :D
Jack_Pepsi 12th August 2011, 08:49 Quote
It'll be interesting to see what the next 30 years entails, that'll make for an interesting article ay?

;)
VeNoM JaCKaL 12th August 2011, 09:07 Quote
*sigh* floppy disk's those where the days ^_____^'
tonyd223 12th August 2011, 09:12 Quote
Yeah,and I remember CP/M
Parge 12th August 2011, 09:25 Quote
Absolutely great article guys, really loved it!

Just to contribute: My first PC - A Pentium 75, 8mb of RAM and 545mb HD drive - and wait for it -a 4x CD-ROM.
alf- 12th August 2011, 09:30 Quote
i miss beige.
phinix 12th August 2011, 09:45 Quote
My first PC was 386SX 40MHz. Only one of my friends had PC too, 286, 1MB of RAM. I had 2MB, then after a year upgraded to 4MB of RAM!:) I remember I had 5.25 and 3.5 FDDs and HUGE 80MB HDD! :D
Good times...
mr.sh 12th August 2011, 09:46 Quote
My first PC was Tesla PP-06. =D
RedFlames 12th August 2011, 09:47 Quote
first pc:

100MHz Pentium
8 MB RAM
1GB Hard Drive
4x CD-ROM
and [the newly launched] Windows 95

EDIT: it wasn't beige... it was grey... [the monitor was beige... and the size of a postage stamp]

first upgrade:

an extra 32MB RAM [taking it up to a whopping 40], a 4GB Hard drive and Windows 98

i did have a couple of older PCs that i acquired [an old 386 with windows 3.1, and some amstrad pile of junk with windows 2], ZX Spectrum and a ZX81 [i still have those]... but the pentium was my first PC
Xir 12th August 2011, 09:53 Quote
My first PCA Commodore PC1...a 8086 clone, 4.something Hz, floppy, no harddrive, but the special Comodore "AGA" graphics card that did Hercules monochrome...more or less EGA black-and-white.
I still have it, it still runs, even reads it's MS-DOS-Floppy (well, it did last year) :D
My first MOD:
built a speaker for it (didn't come with one) :D
My first Overclock:
Swapped the 8086 for a clone, a V20 (or was it a V30) NEC chip, woohoo!
a mainframe computer, which would then connect to operator consoles, or terminals; the idea of having a whole computing system in front of you on your desk was an alien concept
And we're going back to it...no, not cloud computing. A company serious about it's data doesn't store in the cloud (yet?). The cloud is for Joe Average putting his snapshots to facebook ;)

Mainframe and Terminal, now called Server and Thin Client.
Now the thin client could run on it's own, but usually runs some virtualisation like citrix. Saves you the maintainance of local PC's which have become a serious cost driver.
GuilleAcoustic 12th August 2011, 09:54 Quote
My first PC was an Amiga 2000 in 1989 (I was 9). Awesome machine, I ketp it from 1989 to 1996.

Motorola 68000 @ 7.19MHz
1MB onboard RAM (expended it to 3MB, costed an arm :))
2 double density floppy drives (880KB)
no HDD

Bought a IBM 486 DX50 - 16MB of RAM in 1994 for my school homework (Autocad for the Mecanics courses and DMT for Electronics course)

486DX50 @ 50MHz
16MB EDO RAM (8x 2MB sticks)
200MB HDD
TsengLabs ET4000 1MB GPU (love these card)
SoundBlaster AWE32

I can remember setting the IRQs directed on each card via jumpers, FSB and multi was also set via jumpers on the Mobo ... overclocking by shortcutting some tracks with a carbon pencil .... unsoldering the dead battery (the blue capacitor on the bottom right corner) and soldering a new one (no removable battery for bios back on those time).
kenco_uk 12th August 2011, 10:05 Quote
Like Clive, my first PC was an AMD K6-2/450 from Novatech. Unlike Clive, I only shelled out £99 for a Voodoo 3 gfx card that made Midtown Madness look like the end of a rainbow.

The only reason I shelled out the £400-odd for my first PC was because the hard drive on my A1200 had died. As well as 3.5" hdd, it had a Blizzard 1230-IV card with a 68030@50Mhz on it, together with an 8MB simm. Workbench loaded in about 30 seconds with all the startup-sequence stuff running, like Antivirus, pretty gui etc. It's still in my loft.

After the graphics card, I then upgraded to an Intel 440bx motherboard bought from a computer fair (an Asus I think) and plonked a P3-450 in there, which promptly got overclocked to 519mhz iirc. It was on this PC that I played Half Life into the small hours. Damn that was such a good game.

I also have (somewhere) one of those Intel/AMD 8086 cpus from a PC5150.
SMIFFYDUDE 12th August 2011, 10:12 Quote
First proper PC
Manufacturer - TINY
Operating System - Windows 98
Processor - Intel Pentium II 266
Motherboard - Micro Star International MS6132
Graphics - ATI 3D Rage Pro (intergrated)
Memory - 32 MB SDRAM
Hard Drive - Fujitsu 4 GB
Floppy Drive
32x CD-ROM
56k modem

Later added 256MB RAM and 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 PCI

Still have it!

Commodore 64 before that
Hereisphilly 12th August 2011, 10:17 Quote
Nice! It shares my birthday too!!
ev1lm1nd666 12th August 2011, 10:19 Quote
First computer was an old Sinclair ZX Spectrum, the old cassette tape one with the rubber keys, We then moved up to the next version which had the hard plastic keys (don't know any specs -I were 8 or 9 at the time). We had an Atari ST for games, still have fond memories of BattleTank, centipide, Space invaders etc
zjkhyccom 12th August 2011, 10:22 Quote
happy birthday!!
tonyd223 12th August 2011, 10:37 Quote
ZX81, without the 16k memory pack - you have to learn elegant programming when you've only 1k of memory. Yes, 1k!
Draksis 12th August 2011, 10:55 Quote
My first PC was a IBM 5160 XT with a 8088 CPU. Can't remember how much memory, but I recall it being counted in KB.

On a side note: also the first pc I took apart, put back together, broke and binned :D
Kasvain 12th August 2011, 10:56 Quote
It was 1994, my dad got a new pc and he wanted to get rid of the old one. It was a Xerox PC with 8086 8MHz processor, 512kb of RAM, 30MB IDE HDD, 2 5,25" floppy drives, CGA monitor and a keyboard. I think the best thing is that it had a serial port connected Xerox Star optical mouse with a special mouse mat.

If no-one believes that optical mouse story, here's a link about that mouse: http://www.oldmouse.com/mouse/xerox/star8010.shtml.

So, happy birthday, PC.
blood69 12th August 2011, 11:04 Quote
My first PC, that's interesting because i was lucky to have a computer enthusiastic father, with knowledge in both software and Hardware.
When i was born my father had an Atari 800 laying around and he never let me use it afraid that i was going to break it. Eventually i broke the Atari by revenge.
Then he bought an IBM PS/1 with 386, mathematical processor, windows 3.11 and 80Mb of HardDrive (wasn't enough disk space), Sweettttttt. But he still didn't let me use it that much afraid that i broke-tit again.
When he bought the PS/1, i asked to have a computer of some sort, well, i was lucky this time, Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128k with the floppy disk reader on the right of the thing. Many games to play, played 6 and 8 hours strait. Getting older i begin to experience some coding on the spectrum, then my father let me use the PS/1 to code.
Many machines passed thru my hands since then, wich since around 1997 i build them witch a pricipal in mind Money/Performance. Now i just need to read bit-techs hardware guide to now what to buy i no much effort.
There was a good thing having my father forbidding me of messing with his computers, (the forbidden fruit is the most desired) and that i thank him, now im a mediocre sucessfull Program Writer, lol.
Ljs 12th August 2011, 11:18 Quote
This article makes me feel old.

I am a little surprised by bit-tech staffs first PCs - P133? 486? I would have thought they had gotten in to PCs before those days.

This article makes me feel old.
JJW 12th August 2011, 11:23 Quote
Herman Holloway? I think you mean Herman Hollerith.
SMIFFYDUDE 12th August 2011, 11:25 Quote
Originally Posted by Ljs
This article makes me feel old.

This article makes me feel old.

To be fair a PC is quite expensive for a child to buy themselves
MjFrosty 12th August 2011, 11:26 Quote
I came in at just the right time with my very first being a P75. Had to upgrade my 8MBRAM to 16MB in order to play Quake, I remember that much. Also accidentally clicking 1280x1024 in Quake 2 using Software rendering was a bit of a mistake
SpAceman 12th August 2011, 11:26 Quote
My dad used to bring home PCs to do work on in the early 90's. We would play games on them of course. Our first computer was a Mac Performa 5400 that we got for Christmas in '96. I would have been 5 at the time. Most of my memories of that machine involve Doom. It's still in the wardrobe.