bit-tech.net

AMD Phenom and Quad Core Opteron

Comments 1 to 25 of 52

Reply
Tyr 14th May 2007, 12:07 Quote
No good to me as I'm one of the people stuck on S939 :(

Got an S939 machine because I thought it'd be arround a while, as did many others.

Even so, looks rather good but I want to see real performance figures and prices before making a decision. At the moment it is just a PR information war.
Bindibadgi 14th May 2007, 12:10 Quote
Yup. Hence the conclusion ;) Can't wait til we actually get a piece of hardware ;)
DougEdey 14th May 2007, 12:18 Quote
There's a lot of good tech coming through by the looks of it. Shows that AMD may be able to pull of a huge comeback.

But 45nm will be the biggest selling point in my view, especially with graphics cards requiring half a sun worth of nuclear power.
bjrcboy 14th May 2007, 12:45 Quote
Man I wouldn't mind building a octa core phantom system but then I read AM3 next year. I've been waiting for the R600, erm HD 2900xt?, to come out but I might as well wait longer. Just wait for the card thats coming out to replace the R600, isn't it coming out a quater or two after it anyways? Then get a DDR 3 board, Octa core, and as many gpu's as possible. Watercool it and then I'll be out dated in a few weeks oh the joy! haha. (its 344am and I havent slept in 26 hours excuse the grammer and spelling =))
Almightyrastus 14th May 2007, 12:51 Quote
Looks awesome on paper, but then again these things always do.
p3n 14th May 2007, 13:03 Quote
Sounds good, although I don't like the sound of the backwards 'compatibility', seems silly to buy a new CPU but its not going to be much quicker/ efficient because your motherboard can't be fully updated to the new standard...
culley 14th May 2007, 13:14 Quote
I can't wait till these cpu's are out, i will be sticking with intel and the core 2 duo untill then but i have a feeling AMD will be out on top next year and will give intel a run for there money.
Bindibadgi 14th May 2007, 13:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3n
Sounds good, although I don't like the sound of the backwards 'compatibility', seems silly to buy a new CPU but its not going to be much quicker/ efficient because your motherboard can't be fully updated to the new standard...

Better that then a new socket. It allows for systematic upgradability: upgrade your CPU, keep your motherboard. Then later upgrade your mobo.

You may not be in a position to reformat and reinstall for a new board, but require quad core power.
perplekks45 14th May 2007, 13:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3n
Sounds good, although I don't like the sound of the backwards 'compatibility', seems silly to buy a new CPU but its not going to be much quicker/ efficient because your motherboard can't be fully updated to the new standard...
Step-by-step upgrade? Seems interesting, even though I don't think I'll upgrade any time soon.
Quote:
However, this creates an inherent performance problem, since both die are only connected only through the CPU front side bus (FSB)
Maybe you should re-read that one. :)
However, this creates an inherent performance problem since both dies are only connected through the CPU fronst side bus (FSB). Ah, sounds better.
TheEclypse 14th May 2007, 13:35 Quote
Pages 4 and 5 have done a runner :?
djDEATH 14th May 2007, 13:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
Better that then a new socket. It allows for systematic upgradability: upgrade your CPU, keep your motherboard. Then later upgrade your mobo.

You may not be in a position to reformat and reinstall for a new board, but require quad core power.

precisely

I have an X2 4200+ and 'upgrading' to a 6000+ when i can overclock almost as high seems a bit of a waste, but this, may well be my upgrade path. Its a bit concerning that AM3 is coming out so soon afterwards, iguess i have two choices...


Upgrade to an AM2+ CPU, keep my current rig as-is, then upgrade the mobo to an AM2+ mobo next year, again, keeping my GPU and RAM, or wait for all of this and buy a AM3 system when that arrives next year.

Either way, the resale vlue of my system is going downhill day by day. I sometimes wish i had bought C2D, but being a bit of an AMD/nvidia fanboy, that just aint gonna happen. The little man needs my support, even if my bucks dont get me exactly the same performance as the big-blue.

The one thign that doesn't fit into all this is the AMD/ATi acquisition. I know its long in the past now, but it still seems really bizarre, ATi was better on Intel platforms, and in the 939 period, nvidia was the AMD cpu buyer's weapon of choice, my how things change.


It will be interesting to see the performance difference between an AM2+ CPU on a system like mine, and a similarly specced machine on an AM2+ motherboard. I'm sure there's lots of us that need this info before spending huge amounts of money on new tech. Especially as like me, there are loads of us that WANT to stick with AMD.
AcidJiles 14th May 2007, 14:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by djDEATH
precisely

I have an X2 4200+ and 'upgrading' to a 6000+ when i can overclock almost as high seems a bit of a waste, but this, may well be my upgrade path. Its a bit concerning that AM3 is coming out so soon afterwards, iguess i have two choices...


Upgrade to an AM2+ CPU, keep my current rig as-is, then upgrade the mobo to an AM2+ mobo next year, again, keeping my GPU and RAM, or wait for all of this and buy a AM3 system when that arrives next year.

Either way, the resale vlue of my system is going downhill day by day. I sometimes wish i had bought C2D, but being a bit of an AMD/nvidia fanboy, that just aint gonna happen. The little man needs my support, even if my bucks dont get me exactly the same performance as the big-blue.

The one thign that doesn't fit into all this is the AMD/ATi acquisition. I know its long in the past now, but it still seems really bizarre, ATi was better on Intel platforms, and in the 939 period, nvidia was the AMD cpu buyer's weapon of choice, my how things change.


It will be interesting to see the performance difference between an AM2+ CPU on a system like mine, and a similarly specced machine on an AM2+ motherboard. I'm sure there's lots of us that need this info before spending huge amounts of money on new tech. Especially as like me, there are loads of us that WANT to stick with AMD.
actaully in the price point battle amd is still good in the mid - mid high range. with core 2 duos have i admit a longer life expectancy but atm in comparison to amd mid range offering they have a higher price for performance point.
Bindibadgi 14th May 2007, 14:23 Quote
AM3 will only be bringing DDR3 to the mix in a year. You'll still keep all the benefits of AM2+ in it though, and DDR2 will still be far cheaper and more efficiently clocked than 3.
GoodBytes 14th May 2007, 14:33 Quote
Bindibadgi 14th May 2007, 14:42 Quote
No idea what happened to K9, but Barcelona is K10.
Redbeaver 14th May 2007, 15:29 Quote
i will wait for AM2+... currently at s939 now, so i wont buy AM2 just to be outdated in a few months. but i wont need AM3 either...... Barcelona here i come!! :D
Ramble 14th May 2007, 16:23 Quote
Interesting and cool stuff, but all these incremental upgrades worry me a bit. A64 is getting old now and AMD should probably start thinking of a redesign sometime soon.
djDEATH 14th May 2007, 16:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble
Interesting and cool stuff, but all these incremental upgrades worry me a bit. A64 is getting old now and AMD should probably start thinking of a redesign sometime soon.

umm - did you read the article? thats what this was all about, a redesign, and name change
culley 14th May 2007, 17:15 Quote
I think he means a redisign of the K8, which isn't going to happen.
bjrcboy 14th May 2007, 18:02 Quote
In all honesty I've been a AMD fan boy since I built my first computer. Even though the Intel core duo's do a wonderful job, AMD is still better for the money IMHO. Its just like when I use to work at circuit city, people would buy a 7800 over a x1600 just because it had a bigger number. Oh how I wish all the ignorant people in the world would be informed!



Quote:
Originally Posted by djDEATH
precisely
....ATi was better on Intel platforms, and in the 939 period, nvidia was the AMD cpu buyer's weapon of choice, my how things change.

How true! Does anyone else remember when a 500mb hard drive was HUGE?! Now we have 1TB drives, my how the years fly by.


(I move to the UK soon woot! **** bush haha ok im done)
Kipman725 14th May 2007, 18:30 Quote
intell's current quad cores have already been shown to give negligible performance inprovment in all but a few benchmarks so if these can actually do quad core well they should rock...
completemadness 14th May 2007, 18:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrcboy
(I move to the UK soon woot! **** bush haha ok im done)
so your going from bush to blair ? talk about failing downwards :p but seriously, i cant see how blair is better in any way then bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipman725
intell's current quad cores have already been shown to give negligible performance inprovment in all but a few benchmarks so if these can actually do quad core well they should rock...
I'm very interested to see how this chip does, amd definitely needs to get back in the game, will this chip do that ? i hope so - for amds sake, but even if it doesn't help in the desktop - the server market is where amd really needs to keep its grip
Kipman725 14th May 2007, 18:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrcboy


(I move to the UK soon woot! **** bush haha ok im done)

dude you do know its as bad as America here, just people are less vocal?

the foods not as cheap/nice aswell.
Major 14th May 2007, 19:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
No idea what happened to K9, but Barcelona is K10.

I'm sure I read somewhere that AMD ditched K9 to go straight to K10 (Ideally to try and beat Intel).
AcidJiles 14th May 2007, 20:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipman725
dude you do know its as bad as America here, just people are less vocal?

the foods not as cheap/nice aswell.
im sorry but blair is no where near even half as bad as bush as a leader of a country. hes done alot of good since the conservatives were in, people just forget to remeber back that far with some not so good aswell (eg IRAQ etc) dont know one large major thing bush has done well in office
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums