bit-tech.net

ECS KN1 SLI Extreme

Comments 1 to 24 of 24

Reply
Arkuden 18th November 2005, 20:50 Quote
good review. Other than the Lan problem... it looks to be a fairly solid board but I would still feel kinda iffy about getting it becuase of all the other well known and trusted names that are right at that price range as well. If it was a more competative price I think i would go for one.
dire_wolf 18th November 2005, 21:02 Quote
2 40mm fans !?!?

:(


thats got to sound awful
Tim S 18th November 2005, 21:56 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire_wolf
2 40mm fans !?!?

:(


thats got to sound awful
Yeah, it's quite loud on an open bench. It'd make sense if it had a heatsink above the PWMs and the 40mm fan running a little slower - it'd improve efficiency a little bit.
Bindibadgi 18th November 2005, 22:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire_wolf
2 40mm fans !?!?

:(


thats got to sound awful

You can unscrew and completely remove the one on the IO at least but the NF4 one is to be expected, all NF4 mobos have that.
Tim S 18th November 2005, 22:18 Quote
unless a heatpipe solution is implemented (like on ASUS and ABIT's latest boards).
bigapl 19th November 2005, 02:15 Quote
Thats wierd about the 8X PCI-E mine runs full 16X with 6800 or 7800GT and 8X by 8X in SLI maybe there is a BIOS update you need?
Bindibadgi 19th November 2005, 12:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigapl
Thats wierd about the 8X PCI-E mine runs full 16X with 6800 or 7800GT and 8X by 8X in SLI maybe there is a BIOS update you need?

No, there's no selector card so it's set to only run in 8x8 whether you have 1 card or 2.
Heatpipes not only have to be invented in such a way so that they dont infringe on patents like ABITs OTES but they're also expensive compared to a fan :(
bigapl 19th November 2005, 12:14 Quote
There must be a problem with that board I checked 2 other systems I have built with it and they are all running nat 16X with one card.
I have read about 6 or 7 other reviews and yours seems to be the only board that does this 8X in single card mode.
Bindibadgi 19th November 2005, 13:19 Quote
Ive not got the board here now, but I checked NVIDIA's display control panel and it said x8 when in single card mode. There's no card or digital switch like the MSI SLI boards for selection either.

:|
bigapl 19th November 2005, 13:38 Quote
Thats wierd it might be some sort of glitch I havent seen on this board before, so far I have had good luck with them and all mine run 16X.
Did you get with ECS about that?
Bindibadgi 19th November 2005, 14:21 Quote
Did i discuss it with ECS? No. Because it has no selection method - digital or card switch like normal SLI I assumed ECS saved money and didnt include one but just hardwired it to always be in dual x8 mode. NVIDIA control panel confirmed this to me and I didnt think anything more of it.

I didnt check it with any other drivers other than 71.89s, but what does your NV control panel say?
bigapl 19th November 2005, 15:13 Quote
Mine says 16X with both the 6800 and the 7800GT and 8X in SLI maybe it is some sort of driver issue.
chrisuk 20th November 2005, 10:39 Quote
Quote:
The ECS KN1 SLI Extreme is a reasonably full-featured motherboard that fits into the cut down, value territory that is occupied by the likes of ABIT, ASUS, DFI and Gigabyte, so there are some choices to be made.

So why was this board not compared to any of these maufacturers? Surely that would have been more useful.
Bindibadgi 20th November 2005, 12:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisuk
So why was this board not compared to any of these maufacturers? Surely that would have been more useful.

Because we arent provided with those boards. We have to use what we are given unfortunately :(

bigapl - im gonna get in contact with ECS and ask them how their SLI switch works because it's beyond me as there's no physical evidence of a switch on it.
Kipman725 20th November 2005, 13:14 Quote
nice looking board with less features I wouldent use. After fiddling with a lan party it's a very nice board but has so many features that the bios takes a few weeks to setup proporly.
Tim S 20th November 2005, 13:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisuk
So why was this board not compared to any of these maufacturers? Surely that would have been more useful.
We have a review of another SLI motherboard in this price range coming soon.
Anakha 21st November 2005, 06:15 Quote
As a comment on the "Computational error" with the SLI/Non-SLI results, here's an idea on how to get the best result.
Run the same test 5 times, discard the top and bottom results, and average the remaining three. That way one-time statistical anomalies don't affect the outcome (As the worst and best are discarded to get a true "Average" result).

I realise this will take a little extra time to do, but it will give you a more accurate result, and a result you can more easily compare with other results.

Just my £0.02
Tim S 21st November 2005, 11:17 Quote
That is a standard benchmarking practice as it is - ensure that all results are repeatable. ;)
Bindibadgi 21st November 2005, 14:12 Quote
Because it's real world nothing is ever exact unlike a benchmark which is specifically designed for an uber accurate result. For things like the performance %age of WMP HD it's just windows cpu monitor is used and it's run for a while on loop and the most suitable average is taken. On other things that has human influence, like timing of the batch jpg/bmp encoding i take an average.
yyrkoon 7th December 2005, 05:36 Quote
Well, the main reason i was looking at this board, is because its the only socket 939 board that supports eSATA(that im aware of), and has a sil 3132 RAID controller onboard.

For those of you who arent familiar with WHY im interrested in these features, well, can you say Port Multiplier ?

Most other socket 939 solutions would require a PCI-Ex Host adapter, which would in turn Limit your Disk throuput to 2.5Gbit (theoretical), Also adding the cost of the Host adapter, which the best price ive found so far is around 49.99 USD.

Now, I wonder if anyone of you can enlighten me as to whether this board is actually capable of supporting the above Port multiplier or not, or is this a marketing ploy by ECS, or some misinformation that Ive read somewhere else.

Would be really nice IF i could purchase this board, and not worry about the Host controller for Obvious reasons :)

EDIT: hmmm well my mistake, seems the onboard RAID controller is a sil 3112, however my question still stands. bummer :( (Im guessing it wont support the multiplier)
Tim S 7th December 2005, 08:31 Quote
I think the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe has the Sil 3132 controller on it. There is eSATA and a port located next to the PCI-Express x4 slot above the blue PCI-Express x16 slot.
yyrkoon 7th December 2005, 08:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigz
I think the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe has the Sil 3132 controller on it. There is eSATA and a port located next to the PCI-Express x4 slot above the blue PCI-Express x16 slot.

Thanks, ill check it out, btw did i mention before that your avatar is both sickening and hillarious at the same time ? lol, nearly caused me to spit Juice all over my monitor first time i saw it :)

EDIT: I think I may go with This
Instead. I've been a Hardcore ABIT user for years, felt kind of funny thinking about using an ECS board, but it offered what I wanted, UNTIL seeing that ABIT board :) Who knows, maybe by the time I'm ready to buy, a plethora of suitable motherboards will be availible :) Also, the last (and possibly final) ASUS boards I purchased over 4 years ago ( THREE OF THEM) were bad out of the box, so . . .
triquach 2nd May 2006, 03:47 Quote
i have two question about this board. Are the front usb connectors extremely dangerous? I heard from various sources that the front usb connectors is a death trap (the blue screen). When people plugged in their usb devices to the front usb connectors, they get this blue screen and the system won't post anymore after restart. Another question regards about: can someone try this to confirm if this is only due to a bad batch?

sources from: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135203
Bindibadgi 2nd May 2006, 15:13 Quote
No idea sorry, never tested them. It's not something that tends to be a usual question and the boards gone back to ECS months ago.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums