Ahanix D.Vine D5 HTPC Case

GuardianStorm 19th September 2005, 11:54 Quote
hmm, they could have done alot better with more drive space, i mean comon if you are recordinf TV then you need it! and the motherboard tray supports shouldnt have been dificult, lotsa holes and supply with alot of mounting pegs.

as for front connectors, well it gives the modder somthing to do :p
there also seems to be space for water cooling so the psu could have its noisy fan modded out.
Da Dego 19th September 2005, 14:04 Quote
As Dave said, nice case but misses its target.

Lack of front panel connectors, overall size, and horrible use of that size would prevent me from taking this as a serious option in the search for an HTPC case. They could have easily turned that single HDD bay into 3 and made a much more useful system. They also could have bothered to expand it the extra inch to fit a full ATX PSU in there...I mean, come on, when you are already at those dimensions, an inch more is just not fatal...particularly when it could breathe so much more life into the chassis.

And frankly, there is NO excuse for poor support of a mobo. Putting a couple standoffs in is not complicated or costly, and that type of stuff really shows that they weren't putting their all into making a good case, just a pretty one. Oh, and bright-blue LEDs on the front are not exactly the best idea in the world for an HTPC, either...talk about distracting!
Firehed 19th September 2005, 14:07 Quote
Agreed on the LED bit - ultrabright blue on any case is a bad idea. On a HTPC, you have to wonder what the designers were on at the time.

Outside isn't too shabby, but I won't be getting one. And I'm slowly becoming in the market as well. Decent look, terrible execution.
ralph.pickering 19th September 2005, 16:32 Quote
I'm not a fan of front panel connectors on a HTPC case. But then I'm of the school of hi-fi design philosophy where the credibility of a piece of kit is inversely proportional to the number of buttons, lights or connectors on the front. Less is very definitely more, and the fewer cables I see the better.

In any case (bad pun, I know) my wife wants to have a go at building a PC, and I think we need a media centre PC, so I'll be getting one this week. The open layout should make it nice and easy for a first time builder.
frodo 19th September 2005, 16:33 Quote
bit useless really... i mean wtf? 1 5-1/2" drive! ? err the case is HUGE yet it can only have one?

i mate a 40x42cm htpc which if i mate it taller (only mate it 8cm tall) could of had 2/3/4 drives, and has 2 hdd's lol! so why spend so much for so little!? its a lovely case, but the money it costs really isnt worth it!
DreamTheEndless 19th September 2005, 20:56 Quote
Bit-tech folks are not the target consumer of this product. This product is for people who want a home theater box that looks and works like a piece of high end audio/video equipment. Throw a pentium m motherboard and a 400gb hard drive in there with 1gb of ram and you're set. It wouldn't be enough for me or most of the people that I know, but it would work just fine for my parents.

Think about your parents using a home theater pc. They wouldn't care about the number of drives inside as long as they had the capacity they wanted. They wouldn't want more than one optical drive.
Anakha 19th September 2005, 22:29 Quote
Originally Posted by DreamTheEndless

But that case is FAR TOO LARGE for a simple HTPC. With that amount of real-estate inside the case you would expect so much more.

For something simple like you describe, DreamTheEndless, a Silverstone LC-11 would be perfect. mATX, 2 HDD bays, fronted CD/DVD location, front-panel USB (And side-panel Audio+FireWire), and optional VFD. And it's smaller than the monstrosity reviewed.
frodo 19th September 2005, 22:51 Quote
^^ what he said... why pay so much for something so huge!

some of the silverstone full atx cases are lovely, and yet smaller than than!

there is SOO much un-used space in there
SyxPak 20th September 2005, 11:34 Quote
That is one of the most rediculous cases I have ever seen. The review didn't chastise it nearly enough.
I can see the aesthetic they were going for on the front, but the internals are a disaster.
The PSU doesn't need to be at the rear of the case, they should've put it up the front, narrow the case a bit (I don't know if there's a standard width or depth for Hi-Fi components (same as all rackmount kit?) but there is so much potential in that case and they threw it away.
The blue led is definately a problem. I have a CM stacker myself and replacing the leds (perhaps with a killswitch) is on the cards.

Terrible case. HTPC cases seem to command a price-premium they really don't deserve for the amount of design and engineering time required to make an acceptable basic case that will fit in with the rest of your black/silver AV equipment.
ralph.pickering 20th September 2005, 12:15 Quote
Standard width hi-fi equipment is 430mm. This is 435mm - not a problem. There isn't a standard depth as far as I'm aware, and in that regard the Ahanix case might cause problems for some at 458mm, but my Nikko amp is about the same depth if not a little longer, and so is my turntable come to think about it, so it won't affect me too much. And as far as the height is concerned, they've made it just high enough to accommodate full height expansion cards. And for me that's a bonus. I've got a load of sound cards, video cards etc left over from past upgrades that I plan on using in a HTPC.

I could get a low profile case, but I'd need a mATX motherboard, half height cards, a small form factor PSU and probably new RAM, CPU etc. It'd cost me £600 - £1000 on top of whatever the case cost. The way I see it, I've got a new HTPC in my front room for £200 incl VAT and shipping. Not state of the art, but good enough for MP3s, DivX and DVD.

There are dozens of microATX HTPC cases, and there are countless other cases that can accomodate more drives than you can shake a stick at. But there are hardly any minimalist full ATX hi-fi style cases that don't look out of place amongst high end hi-fi.

I don't disagree with all the criticisms though. It is expensive, and the lack of motherboard support at the front is idiotic (but not impossible to fix with a dremel and an M3 tap). And I suppose a USB connector at the front for a memory stick would be useful.

Blimey! That was a bit of an essay... :)
Dodge 20th September 2005, 17:40 Quote
I looked at the front pictures and it looks like a realy realy nice case, with the brushed aluminium look. But i think http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/Ahanix_D_Vine_D5_/13.jpg shows clearly what little design has gone into this case, what a waste of space!

I know its a micro atx board, but it still looks like a big waste of space. IMO