Foxconn WinFast NF4SK8AA-8EKRS

Glider 13th September 2005, 11:26 Quote
Seems good for the money...

Bit I think I found a typo, on page 2:

The mini-PCB for selecting between normal (16x1) and SLI (8x8) mode of the PCI-Express x16 slots is pretty fiddly and very close to the lower PCI-Express x16 slot.

I guess it must be (8x2) in SLI mode
TMM 13th September 2005, 12:15 Quote
lol 214HTT.. need i say more. Would be good for OEMs or just building a rig for a friend who doesn't overclock :)
Da Dego 13th September 2005, 15:29 Quote
Well-written article.

Not exactly a great board for the money...if I were building for a non-OC system, I would probably use the ASUS board because I'm comfortable with their brands. It doesn't help that ASUS is even $7 cheaper, and at least provides the ability to OC if the person wants to.

Keep trying, Foxconn...you'll get it right eventually, but it doesn't look like this round will be it.
FIBRE+ 13th September 2005, 15:37 Quote
I dunno if its just me but it still seems a bit pricey for what it is and what you get.

£75 would be good.

The thing I dont get is building an SLI A64 system on the cheap, its fine for crapo off the shelf pc's but for self builds save up and do it properly.

By that I generally mean using cheap components in what would be a high end system.

Get an Asus or abit instead for a few more quid, tried n trusted and gvfm.

I do agree they will crack the entusiast market eventually, theyl prob have to spend a few quid and kidnap a few specialists people from manurfacturers in that area but it will happen.

Theyve all decided they want a piece of the action, they may not be as many of us as there is normal pc consumers, but the enthusiast market makes up by buying new systems every 6-18 months rather than 2-5 years and new components every other month :)
RotoSequence 13th September 2005, 16:17 Quote
What? No overclocking ability? how worthless ;)
fev 13th September 2005, 19:43 Quote
just built a mate a system using the S754 version of this board... (ebuyer deal they bundled the A64-3000+ with the board)

dirt cheap setup, and the machine will do him fine for uni.. he's only using it to download pr0n and word process.
frodo 14th September 2005, 00:24 Quote
yeah, for a mate maybe, but why the hell give a mate sli, sure if your on a budget you'd just use 2x 6600's, but why bother, seeing as a single x800xl can beat 2 6600's hands down.

ive got a moddable DFI NF4 Ultra-D, and it only cost a few squid more than this foxconn, and sure it doesnt have SLi as standard but it OC's like a mad bat out of hell (312FSB, mem @ 250) so why bother?

i'd get a cheap ati based board, like the msi one on dabs
fev 14th September 2005, 00:41 Quote
the s754 version is agp....
Bindibadgi 14th September 2005, 17:17 Quote
Tis a very nice board. For those who like Asus, go Asus, but regardless of poor ocing i wanted to keep it :'(
seanblee 14th September 2005, 22:12 Quote
I thought WinFast was a Leadtek name (almost sure my old GeForce3 was a Leadtek WinFast GF3 TDH), or are they one and the same?
Tim S 15th September 2005, 03:12 Quote
AFAIK Foxconn 'own' Leadtek. I may be wrong though.
seanblee 15th September 2005, 03:18 Quote
Just had a quick google around, according to a review on xbit Leadtek didn't make their own mobos, Foxconn made them for them, so now Foxconn are producing in their own name they licensed the WinFast brand from Leadtek to make them more recognisable. Of course, that could be complete BS...