bit-gamer.net

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition review

Comments 1 to 25 of 63

Reply
Phalanx 18th April 2012, 11:13 Quote
I'm impressed. I actually own this game already, but never got past the tutorial due to time constraints. I think once I finish Skyrim I'll be playing this.
Jasio 18th April 2012, 11:53 Quote
An excellent game, from an excellent studio. I really do enjoy this series of games ... it's Mass Effect with Swords.
Kris 18th April 2012, 12:28 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
I'm impressed. I actually own this game already, but never got past the tutorial due to time constraints. I think once I finish Skyrim I'll be playing this.
One does not simply "finish" Skyrim - you'll have to just start playing tw2 asap! =)
tad2008 18th April 2012, 12:40 Quote
Having played The Witcher 2 through twice for both story arcs I can't help but wonder what the "Enhanced" version brings to the table.
will_123 18th April 2012, 12:47 Quote
I need to get round to finishing the first one of this! and mass effect 1! My exams just now are draining my life force need to get the uni malarky finished with!
Adnoctum 18th April 2012, 12:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasio
An excellent game, from an excellent studio. I really do enjoy this series of games ... it's Mass Effect with Swords.

Hey hey hey. There is no need to be insulting about The Witcher, Jasio!
Phalanx 18th April 2012, 13:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris
One does not simply "finish" Skyrim - you'll have to just start playing tw2 asap! =)

I must admit, Skyrim isn't holding me how I thought it would. I think it's perhaps TOO open for me. I like the story-led RPGs like Witcher more. I loved the first. I'll finish Skyrim's main story, no problem, but I'm not much into the exploring side.
Madness_3d 18th April 2012, 14:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad2008
Having played The Witcher 2 through twice for both story arcs I can't help but wonder what the "Enhanced" version brings to the table.

This ^_^
mighty_pirate 18th April 2012, 15:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad2008
Having played The Witcher 2 through twice for both story arcs I can't help but wonder what the "Enhanced" version brings to the table.
Filler mostly, I think. More tangential dialogue & side quest, a few extra weapons, bombs & traps apparently & the usual graphical & performance optimisations a big patch brings.

If you've played it twice then it's probably not worth another look so soon. But I only did the one run through & that was at launch, on normal, before dark mode. So now I'm going to give that a go on a second run through & with all these extra bells & whistles, making alternate choices. Which I think will all add up to more than enoguh to make it an interesting different experience.
Phalanx 18th April 2012, 15:00 Quote
Do you guys recommend a controller over mouse/keyboard for this?
tad2008 18th April 2012, 15:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty_pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad2008
Having played The Witcher 2 through twice for both story arcs I can't help but wonder what the "Enhanced" version brings to the table.
Filler mostly, I think. More tangential dialogue & side quest, a few extra weapons, bombs & traps apparently & the usual graphical & performance optimisations a big patch brings.

If you've played it twice then it's probably not worth another look so soon. But I only did the one run through & that was at launch, on normal, before dark mode. So now I'm going to give that a go on a second run through & with all these extra bells & whistles, making alternate choices. Which I think will all add up to more than enoguh to make it an interesting different experience.

Thanks for the clarification but may have to give it another go as couldn't get enough of this or even the first Witcher and both were over far too soon for my liking.
tad2008 18th April 2012, 15:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
Do you guys recommend a controller over mouse/keyboard for this?

Have played using both and both work equally well, tho as much as I normally favour KB+mouse it was the xbox controller I found provided a more relaxed way to play overall.
misterd77 18th April 2012, 15:13 Quote
what was wrong with the first release ?, didnt play it, but cant help but think that this is a cash grab.....for those on pc anyway, any other studio that re-released a game as "enhanced" would be blown away with trolling, just frackin take the time to finish games properly, I am really starting to get fed up with endless updates and dlc.......this is just another example of it...
Phalanx 18th April 2012, 15:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingemuncher
what was wrong with the first release ?, didnt play it, but cant help but think that this is a cash grab.....for those on pc anyway, any other studio that re-released a game as "enhanced" would be blown away with trolling, just frackin take the time to finish games properly, I am really starting to get fed up with endless updates and dlc.......this is just another example of it...

How is it a cash grab when people who already own the game get this version for free as a patch?

And thanks tad2008, I'll try the controller out.
Jaybles 18th April 2012, 15:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingemuncher
what was wrong with the first release ?, didnt play it, but cant help but think that this is a cash grab.....for those on pc anyway, any other studio that re-released a game as "enhanced" would be blown away with trolling, just frackin take the time to finish games properly, I am really starting to get fed up with endless updates and dlc.......this is just another example of it...

Bullshit. Not only is the DLC free but responding to what the community asked for in bug fixes and a bit of balancing is awesome! The original game was exceptional and this reportedly adds 4 hours of extra content that I am sure will be awesome as well.
sear 18th April 2012, 16:18 Quote
So did you guys just copy-paste the old review or what?
Hovis 18th April 2012, 16:57 Quote
I think an 'Enhanced Edition' is sort of a house tradition for Witcher games. The first Witcher game was so poorly presented that it needed a comprehensive reworking just to make it playable, and it was really good to see that level of commitment from a company when most would simply shove a turd out the door and count their money.

However the Witcher 2 really didn't need enhancement in the same way, so it'll be interesting to see what's there.

I'm not sure that I agree with the praise for the story though. An adult story does not simply mean that every single character has to be a completely unsympathetic swine. There is a hell of a lot to like about the game certainly, and I rate it among my favourites, but I think it falls into the modern fantasy cliché (by way of Game of Thrones) that there are no heroes or villains, just worlds full of people that are crying out for a good flu pandemic. But if you can embrace the relentless misanthropy of those stories then it's all good.
Yemerich 18th April 2012, 17:21 Quote
I played the witcher 1 in the enhanced version. And I loved it.

Witcher 2 feels like above average at most for me.

Am I the only one that think the combat system in witcher 2 is utterly annoying? Annoying to the point of stop playing it?
rogerrabbits 18th April 2012, 17:35 Quote
You can't fill someones virtual house with virtual cheese? OH NO! I hate Skyrim, and I'm going to really hate future games that look at it as a benchmark :( It makes me want to make my own game which is all about diarrhea. I can just see the reviews now, "The next big RPG you have all been waiting for is finally here! And boy are you in for a treat. It may not let you smear diarrhea all over your face like you can in rogerrabbits's fantastic World of Poo, but it's still a good game in it's own conservative non poo smearing way."
pendragon 18th April 2012, 17:53 Quote
wow.. one of the few times I think I strong disagree with your rating... I found the combat so incredibly broken .. on normal is was too hard in the beginning and on easy it was pathetically easy the entire game ... I didn't see any sense of scaling or balance with it.. I guess it was just me, but that was a huge negative for my enjoyment.. the environments were also a huge pain to navigate, but I feel that's more of a personal gripe than a (as I percieve it) a mechanical design flaw..

I think I'd enjoy playing Dragon Age II again (bugs and all) rather than slog through this again.. I've owned both games and even bought the collector's edition ... (I very much approve of CDProject Red as a game design company) but I don't think I'd ever rate this a 95% o_O
fdbh96 18th April 2012, 17:57 Quote
Managed to get it for £12 on amazon (a couple of weeks back) and IMO equal to skyrim in terms of playability even though they offer different things. Same it cripples my system on low settings :(
misterd77 18th April 2012, 18:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingemuncher
what was wrong with the first release ?, didnt play it, but cant help but think that this is a cash grab.....for those on pc anyway, any other studio that re-released a game as "enhanced" would be blown away with trolling, just frackin take the time to finish games properly, I am really starting to get fed up with endless updates and dlc.......this is just another example of it...

How is it a cash grab when people who already own the game get this version for free as a patch?

And thanks tad2008, I'll try the controller out.

didnt realise it was free, kudos then.....
PingCrosby 18th April 2012, 19:22 Quote
Gonna get this when I've finished Skyrim
Disposeablehero 18th April 2012, 20:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragon
wow.. one of the few times I think I strong disagree with your rating... I found the combat so incredibly broken .. on normal is was too hard in the beginning and on easy it was pathetically easy the entire game ... I didn't see any sense of scaling or balance with it.. I guess it was just me, but that was a huge negative for my enjoyment.. the environments were also a huge pain to navigate, but I feel that's more of a personal gripe than a (as I percieve it) a mechanical design flaw..

I think I'd enjoy playing Dragon Age II again (bugs and all) rather than slog through this again.. I've owned both games and even bought the collector's edition ... (I very much approve of CDProject Red as a game design company) but I don't think I'd ever rate this a 95% o_O

Not only are you exaggerating this was fixed quickly in a patch. The combat and game was great. DAII over this? rofl, ITS NOT EVEN A CONTEST tw2 craps all over Da II or 1 for that matter. Its getting 9's and 9.5 's everywhre for a reason. Said issues with balance were fixed with patches ages ago.
nchhabs 18th April 2012, 20:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingemuncher
haha, really ?, is that all you could troll....-1, try harder next time....

Relax. I think the response you got was a result of not googling before typing out a presumptuous post. I bought the Enhanced Edition and it's fantastic (went via GoG and got a bunch of extras also).
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums