bit-gamer.net

The Darkness

Comments 1 to 25 of 28

Reply
DougEdey 26th June 2007, 12:01 Quote
Awesome review, really been looking forward to this since the first video.
CardJoe 26th June 2007, 12:47 Quote
The videos actually originally put me off the game, but playing the game swayed me over and it's definitely one of the best 360 games I've played.
Hugo 26th June 2007, 13:08 Quote
I'd assume then that (pending any ghastly changes) the PS3 version would be a must have game as it wont suffer from the "should have been released 2 years ago" issue you mention.

Or in other words, do I buy this for the PS3 ;)
RTT 26th June 2007, 13:12 Quote
I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE!

sorry :D
CardJoe 26th June 2007, 14:07 Quote
Well, we haven't had a chance to review the PS3 version so I can't say for sure, but if it's the same as the Xbox 360 version then I can't argue against it. Personally, I prefer the 360 controller though, but each to their own.
kempez 26th June 2007, 14:09 Quote
I've seen a couple of other reviews/previews on this and it actually looks pretty nice

Good review thanks
cjmUK 26th June 2007, 15:05 Quote
Well, I was quit happy reading the review until I got to page 2. Sounded like an interesting game, until...

WTF? It's a console game?!

OK, I know we don't shoot XBOXers on sight anymore, but given 'bit-tech.net is the leading independent hardware review and *PC* modification site in the UK', I'd have thought that it might have been nice to let us know that this isn't a PC game after all. Well, before page 2 at least.

We're not PC-exclusive, but we are predominantly PC-centric. How about a heads-up first,next time... so we can skip the article and move on.

Yes, I know I'm a miserable git, but it's what I'm good at.

CJM
kempez 26th June 2007, 15:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit-Tech Article Title
The Darkness is the long awaited comic book spin off about a mafia hitman and his inner demons. We sneak off with the 360 version to see if there's light at the end of the tunnel.

That's a small hint surely? But ye not much in the actual body of the review
Tim S 26th June 2007, 15:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmUK
Well, I was quit happy reading the review until I got to page 2. Sounded like an interesting game, until...

WTF? It's a console game?!

OK, I know we don't shoot XBOXers on sight anymore, but given 'bit-tech.net is the leading independent hardware review and *PC* modification site in the UK', I'd have thought that it might have been nice to let us know that this isn't a PC game after all. Well, before page 2 at least.

We're not PC-exclusive, but we are predominantly PC-centric. How about a heads-up first,next time... so we can skip the article and move on.

Yes, I know I'm a miserable git, but it's what I'm good at.

CJM
It actually says it's a 360 game on the front page... and also in the first post of this thread. Therefore, if you choose to read further, it's because you've not read the description of the article. :(
cjmUK 26th June 2007, 15:44 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S
It actually says it's a 360 game on the front page... and also in the first post of this thread. Therefore, if you choose to read further, it's because you've not read the description of the article. :(

True. That's precisely what I did.

Gaming... The Darkness... Spooky picture...<Click>.

Maybe I would have spotted it most other days, but surely an indication on the first page of the review would be in order?


CJM
CardJoe 26th June 2007, 15:46 Quote
Frankly, I thought The Darkness was such a massively anticpated title that it didnt need to be said.
capnPedro 26th June 2007, 15:55 Quote
I've never heard of it. Your not going to anticipate a title which is only being hyped for a system you don't own.

I hope it gets ported to PC, it really looks like a game I could get into and enjoy. I like the way you can do things in multiple ways. Kinda cool IMO.
Amon 26th June 2007, 16:00 Quote
This is a well wicked game for PS3.
cjmUK 26th June 2007, 16:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnPedro
I've never heard of it. Your not going to anticipate a title which is only being hyped for a system you don't own.

I hope it gets ported to PC, it really looks like a game I could get into and enjoy. I like the way you can do things in multiple ways. Kinda cool IMO.

What ^he^ said...

The thing the irks me the most is that it looks decent, but I'm not going to get to play it...
Bindibadgi 26th June 2007, 16:28 Quote
Well everyone has to put up with Console/PC exclusives across the field :/
CardJoe 26th June 2007, 16:36 Quote
I don't own a 360 and have to make do with the one in the office, but I still heard of it way before then.

Starbreeze not only have a history of porting to PC, but porting to PC well and providing extra content in the process - just as they did with Riddick. Fingers crossed we'll get it on PC soon.
devdevil85 26th June 2007, 16:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
Well everyone has to put up with Console/PC exclusives across the field :/
Are exclusives good for the gamer? I say no.....mainly because some people, just like me, would never buy a console solely for 2-3 games, so I really hope they port this game to PC. In all honesty, I think every 360 game should be ported for PC. What happened to all of this XNA crap about making it easier for 360 games to be ported to PC. Lately, I haven't seen hardly any 360 games being made for PC. Hopefully I'm wrong on this, but that's just what I've come to conclude....
CardJoe 26th June 2007, 16:59 Quote
Its not 360 exclusive, it's on PS3 too. Should keep you happy DevDevil :P
DougEdey 26th June 2007, 17:03 Quote
XNA is not used by commercial developers, it's far too slow.
devdevil85 26th June 2007, 17:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Its not 360 exclusive, it's on PS3 too. Should keep you happy DevDevil :P
Joe, you should know that I don't own a PS3 after our exciting posts earlier this year so I could personally care less that the game is going there. Secondly, I was talking about exclusives in general being bad for the gamer (which I'm mainly leaning towards the PC side) because as you can see with The Darkness, we don't know if it's coming to PC, we're just hoping/assuming it will. Lastly, my closing statements were regarding why most 360 games haven't been coming to PC; not why all titles aren't also going to the PS3.
CardJoe 27th June 2007, 10:13 Quote
Easy there Dev, was only teasing you a little in regard to our discussions a few weaks back - no offence meant.

I do agree with you completely about exclusives in general though. I'd love to be able to take some of the Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy titles out for a spin, but lacking a 360 and any PlayStation at home means that I can't justify buying one just to play in the office. Sucks ass.
Amon 27th June 2007, 16:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdevil85
Lastly, my closing statements were regarding why most 360 games haven't been coming to PC;
I'd like to append to your statement, and good argument, my own frustration over gaming franchises that have become shadows of their own selves by going console-bound.

I loved the original Ghost Recon. It was a truly great game that drew upon good teamplay and coordination and gave a great sense of vastness--beautiful outdoor levels that remained true to the world of Tom Clancy. Unfortunately, The Ghost Recon franchise lost its PC purity fairly quickly when Ghost Recon 2 was console-exclusive. And it goes downhill from there. Now, in the "Advanced Warfighter" continuations, the vast outdoor feeling is totally gone and gameplay is now, distinctly, a direct extraction from Battlefield 2. (What the hell happened to all the wilderness and stealth? There was an obvious reason for the "Ghost" half of the name.) Somewhere in the process, the highly-regarded Ghosts have been reduced to a substitute for front-line Marines in urban desert warfare.

Likewise, the Rainbow Six franchise has gone from the classic, squad-based tactical counter-terrorism elites to some regrettable Shake 'n' Baked mix of Time Crisis and, clearly, Splinter Cell. Now, characters are infused with Sam Fisher and can now rappel down the side of a building upside-down and shoot through a window; a huge departure from the intense coordination needed for an assault and clearance in the previous games up until, and including, Raven Shield.

This trend of "dumbed-down" games extends to many other franchises wherein new installments are either made console exclusive or stray from its original, and often pioneering, gameplay in an attempt to satisfy the console audience. Unfortunately, the result is often a tragic failure in the sense that the franchise has lost its essence of originality.

Finally, I think the argument you meant to make, devdevil85, was why games have not returned to the PC from their console experimentations. There is a trend of console exclusive-titles for the sole purpose of proliferating that console, whereas PC exclusives haven't much incentive to improve the outlook of the PC, and often don't deliver as a result. However, quality PC-exclusive titles can help drive down the hardware costs for building systems to play them. Nonetheless, all we've got for now is a platform whose only unique purpose is to play MMORPGs. Sad.
devdevil85 27th June 2007, 23:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon
Finally, I think the argument you meant to make, devdevil85, was why games have not returned to the PC from their console experimentations. There is a trend of console exclusive-titles for the sole purpose of proliferating that console, whereas PC exclusives haven't much incentive to improve the outlook of the PC, and often don't deliver as a result. However, quality PC-exclusive titles can help drive down the hardware costs for building systems to play them. Nonetheless, all we've got for now is a platform whose only unique purpose is to play MMORPGs. Sad.
I must agree with you Amon, it is sad that console gaming is/could be affecting PC gaming, not just in terms of game content, but in terms of game quality, originality or just keeping true to a series. As for my argument, I was in the notion that because of Microsofts new SDK's for the 360, porting to the PC was going to be made much easier and of course I had the assumption that more 360 games would be debuting at the same time, if not a little earlier than the PC versions. Anyways, that's my basic argument, but you really went all out and I love your enthusiasm because I never really noticed your point of view, and especially now that you point it out I can't stand all of the MMORPGs because they are not THAT graphically intensive (maybe to a certain extent) and that's the main reason why I, myself, would want a PC over a console: graphical prowess, so now that you point it out I can see what you are saying so cheers for the reply!
DougEdey 27th June 2007, 23:55 Quote
Microsofts SDK is not meant for fully featured game, C# is a Just-in-time language and as such is poorly optimized, it's designed for XBLA titles, which PC users are quite welcome to.

People are tending to move to consoles because they are easier to maintain, cheaper to maintain and you can easily get hold of multiplayer when friends come round.
Hugo 28th June 2007, 02:04 Quote
Cheaper to buy is a huge point, why would I pay more for a single component in my PC than an entire games console I don't know...
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums