bit-gamer.net

PlayStation 4 Review

Comments 26 to 50 of 82

Reply
SchizoFrog 29th November 2013, 15:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys
Its often not about the build but where people put them (inside cabinets etc.) that cause issues.

PC don't work as well in the front room from a control perspective as a console, big picture is getting there and perhaps Steam OS will solve it but as it stands its a bit flaky. Consoles do work, out of the box as do their games, no need to worry if your hardware can cope.

I don't understand what you mean by 'from a control perspective'. What can you do with a console that you can't do with a PC? As for setting up and working out of the box, then yes I agree this is an issue for the 'average Joe' but surely that isn't a point that should be applied here?
GeorgeStorm 29th November 2013, 15:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
I don't understand what you mean by 'from a control perspective'. What can you do with a console that you can't do with a PC? As for setting up and working out of the box, then yes I agree this is an issue for the 'average Joe' but surely that isn't a point that should be applied here?

I assume he means that it's more difficult to control a PC than a console.
A keyboard and mouse are less practical in a living room than a controller most of the time.
sandys 29th November 2013, 15:15 Quote
You can't just switch it on from your sofa, installed games can need more than a mouse pointer and password entry so you need a keyboard, windows on screen attempt isn't amazing, it doesn't always come up, the experience dies right there, I do have a small logitech dinovo for mine and an OK mouse pointer with my shuttle remote but none works as well as any game console.
SchizoFrog 29th November 2013, 15:29 Quote
The mouse and keyboard argument is irrelevant. Any modern PC game also has the option for control pad use and I use the wireless XBox 360 with mine so what is the difference? Any game that can't be controlled via a control pad wouldn't be on a console in the first place.
GeorgeStorm 29th November 2013, 15:36 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
The mouse and keyboard argument is irrelevant. Any modern PC game also has the option for control pad use and I use the wireless XBox 360 with mine so what is the difference? Any game that can't be controlled via a control pad wouldn't be on a console in the first place.

I don't think he's talking about playing the game, but everything else.
SchizoFrog 29th November 2013, 15:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
The mouse and keyboard argument is irrelevant. Any modern PC game also has the option for control pad use and I use the wireless XBox 360 with mine so what is the difference? Any game that can't be controlled via a control pad wouldn't be on a console in the first place.

I don't think he's talking about playing the game, but everything else.

So never heard of XBMC or a multitude of other pieces of software to control your media? I have a media centre remote but you can also obtain apps to control your PC through your smartphone and use that as a fully interactive control device.
sandys 29th November 2013, 15:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
The mouse and keyboard argument is irrelevant. Any modern PC game also has the option for control pad use and I use the wireless XBox 360 with mine so what is the difference? Any game that can't be controlled via a control pad wouldn't be on a console in the first place.

The difference is getting into game, I do it, yes, but the experience is not slick, I cringe everytime I log into origin or uplay, is it going to ask me for a password etc.

I too use a 360 pad on mine and yes that is fine once in a game.
SchizoFrog 29th November 2013, 15:47 Quote
Personally I feel that any argument against a PC as a 'front room' device is a little silly and stems from being lazy to figure out a solution. There are solutions to almost any problem you can throw at the PC and that is only going to get more true with the release of Kinect2 and that is the beauty of the device. If you want to have a console, that is fine, but just say you want a console without saying 'I am going to get a console because it is better than a PC and PCs can't do the same things'.
GeorgeStorm 29th November 2013, 15:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
So never heard of XBMC or a multitude of other pieces of software to control your media? I have a media centre remote but you can also obtain apps to control your PC through your smartphone and use that as a fully interactive control device.

I have, but to a lot of people a console is easier to use, and doesn't require you to go out of your way to find a solution to a problem.
sandys 29th November 2013, 15:56 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
Personally I feel that any argument against a PC as a 'front room' device is a little silly and stems from being lazy to figure out a solution. There are solutions to almost any problem you can throw at the PC and that is only going to get more true with the release of Kinect2 and that is the beauty of the device. If you want to have a console, that is fine, but just say you want a console without saying 'I am going to get a console because it is better than a PC and PCs can't do the same things'.

My opinion is no less valid or silly than yours, I'm basically trying to point out its more convenient, and of course it is, there are no solutions to find, it just works, that is the point of a console, it does the job you bought it for well, no hassle, quickly and without frustrating kids/missus in the process.
Corky42 29th November 2013, 16:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips
Given that Sony have elected to call it a gamers games console will shoot itself in the foot. People do want it connected to everything from Movies to Music and for those with the 50" TVs, the over heating box just for games makes it too expensive if that's all it does well. The launch titles suck balls btw, so I can see it's short comings being even more evident in the coming months.

Do you mean the opposite of what happened last gen?
When Microsoft targeted the 360 as being a gamers console and hit a lower price point than their main competitor, and Sony targeted the PS3 as the all singing all dancing media console but with a higher price.

Seems odd that their positions now seems reversed, with Microsoft targeting the all singing all dancing console that used to be the market of the PS3, and Sony pitching the PS4 as a gamers console that was the market of the 360.
Krikkit 29th November 2013, 16:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips
Not seen anything to convince me the PSBore will do anything more than the XBoxOne. It's all well and good talking about the inner workings of AMD technology when we know ourselves that on paper it always looks good but the application tends to turn it into a turdburger.

Given that Sony have elected to call it a gamers games console will shoot itself in the foot. People do want it connected to everything from Movies to Music and for those with the 50" TVs, the over heating box just for games makes it too expensive if that's all it does well. The launch titles suck balls btw, so I can see it's short comings being even more evident in the coming months.

Little things give Sony's perspective about being more customer and experience-focussed imo - being able to put the game audio out completely through the controllers etc is a nice touch (even if MS have done it), it all adds to the experience. Couple that with the seemingly pay-wall-less attitude to most of the PS4 systems (apps etc), an upgradeable HDD, and imo a nicer design and it's the one to choose.

Not sure why it's an overheating box - build me a PC in the same footprint with the same or more processing power, for anything like the cost, using shelf parts that doesn't get warm.

The launch titles for both consoles are pretty meh, so no change between the two there...
maverik-sg1 29th November 2013, 16:13 Quote
Referring to the issue brought to our attention prior to launch - will it play CD's DVD's and stream via DNLA, these remain deal breaking features for some people.
sandys 29th November 2013, 16:24 Quote
not patched in yet for CD and DLNA, I think DVDs are fine though as are Blu ray but not 3D bluray yet.
workingclass 29th November 2013, 17:31 Quote
For those who want to play in the living room on the PC, I got a couple of Logitech controllers and hooked my PC to my TV via HDMI and I can play "console" games in my living room with all settings on Ultra. The whole console gaming because living room is not a valid argument anymore. I expect more and more people will be doing this through this console cycle, at least those who won't buy consoles.

Also my PC plays anything I want to watch and I can watch it on the TV. No need to get a 350 pound DVD - or streaming machine.
raxonb 29th November 2013, 17:53 Quote
10 games at full whack over time and that's nearly £1000 in total, for either console. Ouch
sandys 29th November 2013, 18:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by raxonb
10 games at full whack over time and that's nearly £1000 in total, for either console. Ouch

Whats your point, its only a few quid cheaper on PC and as mentioned you can resell console games, you can also wait 3-6 months to get console games at a much lower price.
SchizoFrog 29th November 2013, 18:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by raxonb
10 games at full whack over time and that's nearly £1000 in total, for either console. Ouch

You're looking at paying £100 per game? Or are you talking about including a console as well? In that case by the time you build a decent gaming PC and buy the extras such as controllers you are probably hitting around £600 so add in 10 full priced (release price) PC titles and you are once again at the £1000 mark.
erratum1 29th November 2013, 18:41 Quote
I think Sony have done a very good job learning from their mistakes and talking to developers about what they would want to work with when making games.

But for both consoles the price of the games would get really expensive you look back and realise you have a spent a couple of grand already on games.
Corky42 29th November 2013, 19:16 Quote
I get that people say you can get console games cheaper, but the same holds true for PC games, and they are still a damn site cheaper than their console equivalents.
PaulC2K 29th November 2013, 23:35 Quote
From the review:
"Just make sure you buy the physical versions. For reasons nobody can comprehend, prices on the PSN store are a good £5 to £15 higher."
Yeah, cos Steam, Origin, GreenManGaming (Digital content), GAME (as with GMG)... they're all cheaper than the retailers arent they!? Oh, no they're not.
Personally i find that a rather idiotic comment, we all know the reason why they're more expensive and thats because they want and need to keep the retailers on-side. Its the same reason GMG will sell you a DVD of a game for £30 and the digital version for £40. Its not by choice, but by necessity and almost certainly an un-written agreement from the developer not to p*** the retailers off because they need retailers happy with the deal because they advertise and generate hype which sells their games.

As for PC's as a living room machine, yes theres definitely ways of getting around the handful of issues which put people off, but they're just not as user-friendly to a wide audience like consoles and some people just arent as tech-savy, you couldnt plonk a PC in a living room and expect a couple of 8-10 year olds with mates round to go through all the hassle, they'll be begging for a console within a week, regardless of the fact that the PC is the superior hardware and offers infinitely more possibilities than a console.
Theres absolutely no harm in accepting consoles are better gaming devices for a wide audience, its exactly what they're built for. PCs aren't, they're far more accomplished but at least until Steam's OS arrives, it doesnt offer the simplicity of *just* switching it on, picking a game, and playing it from the couch like a console does. IMO PC gaming is miles better, but that isnt what people are saying. Its about simplicity and doing the job its designed & purchased for.

I've barely touched my PS3 in a year (GTA5 is about it) yet im glued to my PC which sits a foot away from the PS3, but i'd have bought a PS4 in a heartbeat if there was a decent launch title, and i will buy one in about 6-9mo because they are excellent at what they do.
lysaer 30th November 2013, 00:27 Quote
Shadowfall takes ages to actually get into the game ><

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
rollo 30th November 2013, 01:16 Quote
Not really sure cost can be debated either way.

10 full price pc titles say bf4 and cod ghosts they are all £39.99 + most of the major releases are this price for AAA Titles these days.

If your starting from scratch pretty difficult to build a windows gaming pc ( that is at least as powerful as the ps4 ) for under £600 as Windows 7/8 Monitor and keyboard mouse / controller is £200 of your budget minimum. £400 buys pretty little as no IGPU offers the ps4s level of power so your in dedicated gpu land 7870 is basically what the ps4 gpu is. ( Linux is not ready for mainstream gamers it does support alot of AAA Titles and unless steams box takes off will likely never do so)

£140 that gpu is that leaves you with £260 - £35 for the same 500gb hard disk £225 for everything else good luck with that one. If you go nasty power supply and case it might be just about doable.

People who already own a pc would be better off upgrading it sure but it does not apply to alot of people, Ipad and its ilk have took over the casual end of the pc sector.

Very few peoples pcs are in any state to upgrade these days. With locked down dell /lenova / hp mobos which dont even include a pcie socket. ( dell and lenova and hp are a good 80% of all desktop pc sales at the lower end price point. ) or low end psus and bad cases that dont have the cooling or power requirements to support a big gpu.
jrs77 30th November 2013, 02:49 Quote
I'll be waiting until GT7 get's released for the PS4. Until then I'm happy with my PS3 and the upcoming GT6.

And besides, I'm not playing that much games on my PS3 anyways, but use it primarily as a media-player in the living-room connected to the 40" and the soundsystem.
ya93sin 30th November 2013, 11:54 Quote
Received my PS4 yesterday with Killzone, here are my first thoughts:

Pros:
Really small compared to what I expected.
Mostly high quality hardware ports.
HDMI cable included.
Routing all audio through the cable (I have the PS4 hooked up to my monitor which has no speakers, PC is also hooked up on DVI).
Sound quality is very good in my opinion.
The console renders things a lot better from what I see in Killzone, very smooth framerate for the most part.
Great controller.

Cons:
Gets hot.
Would have liked a headphone jack for my speaker system on the console itself.
Dust shows up really easily.
Maybe just me being poorly informed, but I wasn't expecting a £40 yearly charge to play online.
If they had put hardware ports at the bottom of the back, it would have saved some space. At the top of the back, this means cables jut out even more.
I really miss the start button, the replacement option button is sometimes difficult to press quickly, you often press the touchpad by accident.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums